Need help on a front door
taradickerson
I am having difficulty finding a front door for my home. I builder put in side lights and transom but I can't seem to find a door that I like to go with them. I really want something more than just a solid panel but nothing that will sacrifice too much privacy. My builder needs me to pick something out ASAP so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I attached a picture of my current set up and my builder uses thermatru doors.
The Color People
I would just paint it and you won't notice the style of the door. You have plenty of light from the side and transom windows. Have your builder spray it with a high gloss alkyd paint- the gloss will me it look fabulous. Paint it black like the shutters.
August 27, 2013 at 7:23pm        Thanked by taradickerson
mmers
I'd paint it for sure - but I'm a fan of bright colours on doors.
August 27, 2013 at 7:41pm      Thanked by taradickerson
taradickerson
I am definitely going to paint it..not wild on the style so I was thinking of changing it but lost on what door to replace it with
August 27, 2013 at 7:51pm   
mmers
Maybe just paint it and live with it for awhile. You can look at lots of doors, get some ideas, and not rush into something that is fairly expensive that you might not be crazy about in the end.
August 27, 2013 at 7:57pm        Thanked by taradickerson
William Roy Designer Kitchens
Make it pop, say I'm the front door, come on in. Egg Plant!
August 27, 2013 at 8:07pm        Thanked by taradickerson
nwduck
The door seems very close to right to me. I like the simple raised panels, and the numbers at the center. Am not sure that more detail or glass would be right. What I think may be bothering you is the curved corners at the top panel. If you can switch it out for a door that is straight across the top panel, with the top of the panel lining up straight across with the top of the side lights, it may work better. A great color in your choice, and I think you are set.
August 27, 2013 at 10:08pm        Thanked by taradickerson
taradickerson
What about the color.....any suggestions on that other than black?
August 28, 2013 at 7:15am   
taradickerson
Also, would you paint the side lights and transom the same color as the door or paint them white?
August 28, 2013 at 7:17am   
bluenan
Keep everything white except the door.
August 28, 2013 at 7:26am     
2taniya
I would choose a door that had glass in it also - at least half of the door as glass and in the same style as the sidelights. However if that sacrifices too much privacy for you - choose a door with a higher window. I like a lot of light and would want more than just the sidelights - but up to you.
August 28, 2013 at 8:50am   
handymam
A deep red, like cranberry would look nice with your shutters and siding.
August 28, 2013 at 8:56am     
mefor
How about any of these?
August 28, 2013 at 9:10am      Thanked by taradickerson
mefor
Or these
August 28, 2013 at 9:11am      Thanked by taradickerson
loves2read
I favor the first because of connection to your brick color but it looks a little orange
what color are you using in the foyer area when you step into the house?
Can you carry shade of that to the front door or is it too bland...
Personally I would go with a shade a little more red than orange...
August 28, 2013 at 9:13am      Thanked by taradickerson
mefor
SW carriage door, less orange
August 28, 2013 at 9:20am      Thanked by taradickerson
taradickerson
Wow.....how cool. How did you do that? Could you show me a black one?
August 28, 2013 at 10:57am     
mefor
This is SW Tricorn :)
I have the names of the other colors if you'd like them
August 28, 2013 at 11:08am      Thanked by taradickerson
Ingalls Custom Contracting
I think a red door would definitely make it pop
August 28, 2013 at 11:10am   
rinqreation
Looking at Therma-Tru entry door page: What about half lite, 1 panel, Saratoga glass?
August 28, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Joanne Hardin
I'm a fan of jewel tone colors, some one suggested eggplant , I agree....or red .... Or a blue...???
September 1, 2013 at 6:25am   
Lynne Mysliwiec
You could go classic 6-panel if it's the arch detail that you dislike (also referred-to as "christian doors" here in New England since the upper 4 panels are separated by a cross).

Classic 6-panel:
[houzz=-- Hirsch Associate --]

Four-panel
[houzz=Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.]

You could go craftsman:
[houzz=Front Porch Bliss]

Another 6-panel
[houzz=Crisp Architects]

6 panel where the top 2 are windows...
[houzz=1957 classic ranch style with a traditional twist]

3 over 2
[houzz=Parade of Homes Fall 2012]
September 1, 2013 at 6:40am     
Lynne Mysliwiec
Basically, if you go to the home screen of houzz and put the words "front door transom side lights" into the search box you will get a BUNCH of suggestions (don't search discussions, you want to browse rooms)
September 1, 2013 at 6:43am   
pmarch39
Keep the door and live with for a while. Don't make a hasty decision. I would spend my money on the interior of the house. You don't live outside. =) I think a nice deep shade of red would be nice.
September 1, 2013 at 6:50am   
Re|Structure Design-Build, LLC
Lites, in the upper third of the door would help, and painting the door as well however...I think this door needs a bit more of a trim package. Stronger casing and bolder trim detail at the header may help the door to pop. I think it is getting too swallowed up by the brick.
September 1, 2013 at 6:52am   
catieb
Paint the surround trim AND the door, if you do that it will seem like a larger, single unit and make for a grander feel. Like the idea of eggplant, but you could also do two colors if you paint the trim. Consider black trim with red door. The 1957 classic ranch door, shown above, would work well with your house size and style.
September 1, 2013 at 7:45am     
bevballew
I have seen a butter yellow door which stands out beautifully. Can you show that please? I would get a door with some glass if you really are not happy with the door you have. Now is the opportunity.
September 1, 2013 at 11:10am     
mefor
Here you go bevballew, SW moonraker
September 1, 2013 at 12:24pm   
Retractable Screens, LLC
Here are some great looking entry doors that we installed retractable door screens on.
September 1, 2013 at 10:32pm     
bevballew
Thanks mforr,moon ranker. Does not look good on this house. I have seen it on houses with very dark brick and trim and it looks good on them, but not so good here. Appreciate your post!
September 2, 2013 at 5:59am     
mforr's first green door looks sharp. That's the one I'd pick.
September 2, 2013 at 6:18am     
ahelton142
Just painted my front door gloss cherry red on my red brick home. I love it.!!! Maybe you should look at front door with oval shaped glass. They look distorted do you can't really see thru it. I do like the side panels you have.
September 2, 2013 at 6:59am   
Lynne Mysliwiec
Oval glass is very popular and wonderful for Victorian homes
September 2, 2013 at 8:20am   
taradickerson
Mforr can u actually change the style door or just the color?
September 4, 2013 at 6:49pm   
taradickerson
A better door is included In the house price so I feel like a should get a better door.
September 4, 2013 at 6:52pm     
mefor
No Tara, not with the app I'm using, but I agree that a more classic paneled door would be more elegant for your front door. Any of the doors that were posted above, without the glass panes, would look the most appropriate for your frontage. Since you have the sidelights, unless you truly want more glass, the solid doors will work better. I'm wondering if you'd like a grayer green. Perhaps SW basil or SW rock garden? I'll post a pic of them in a moment. :)
September 5, 2013 at 4:42am      Thanked by taradickerson
mefor
Here are a few more options, greens and a couple of blues.
September 5, 2013 at 4:55am   
mefor
Two blues
September 5, 2013 at 4:56am   
bevballew
Either get a better door or make a trade in price for something or get a credit. As far as Color what about navy blue or a coral that works with the brick?
September 5, 2013 at 5:50am   
catieb
Tara, go to the ThermaTru website. Classic Craft Mahogany series. In the No Glass section there is a model number CCM801. Now go to the part where you can build your own door. You have a 6'8" high door. Choose the configuration that matches what you have and follow the steps. Play with it a few times to create different solutions. You can print these out and look at them to make your final selection, but I like this traditional yet elegant panel configuration with the style of your house. Oval window would be too Victorian.

Consider going with a stained finish if selecting a color isn't working. Mahogany or cherry.

I strongly suggest you keep the entire unit the same stain color or paint the transom/sidelites black (or very dark) and then add color at the door. Doing this will make it a much more elegant solution that feels more cohesive, the current look is of a door within windows versus the look of one huge entry system.
September 5, 2013 at 7:27am        Thanked by taradickerson
mefor
?
September 5, 2013 at 7:55am   
mefor
With the door recessed, if the surround is painted to match door, it looks a bit like a cave or a hole in house.
September 5, 2013 at 7:57am   
mefor
Maybe if all the trim was painted ivory, it would be less harsh against the brick.
September 5, 2013 at 7:58am   
catieb
Mforr, I agree it is a darker solution, but still think it looks less choppy than the white surround.

Can you do stain colors with your magic app?
September 5, 2013 at 8:41am   
catieb
Or try the lower, left green from four hours ago for entire?

Or a slightly greyer/warmer Moonraker.......
September 5, 2013 at 8:43am   
mefor
Hi catieb, no stains, but here's a redwood color just for variety. And two of the greens and a warmer/grayer (I hope) yellow.
September 5, 2013 at 9:27am   
taradickerson
Thanks so much for all these suggestions. It is really appreciated. Mforr can you do the sidelights and transom white for me and the door black?
September 5, 2013 at 9:28am     
taradickerson
I haven't seen a color I love yet:)
September 5, 2013 at 9:29am     
taradickerson
Don't know if this changes any thoughts, but the hardy plank above the porch is going to be a little lighter of a color....more in the tan family.
September 5, 2013 at 9:30am     
mefor
Hi Tara, if you look up near the top of discussion, I posted SW Tricorn. It's the blackest black I could find on the app. In real life, it would appear darker, the sheen on the door in your pic makes it a little sheerer and lighter. :)
September 5, 2013 at 9:31am   
mefor
Is there a color, besides the black, that you'd like to see? It doesn't have to be a specific color, just a general description. :)
September 5, 2013 at 9:33am   
mefor
Here it is :)
September 5, 2013 at 9:34am   
catieb
Tara - I know how it is on a project, you're humming along making a ton of decisions and all of a sudden one that seems like it should be so simple becomes endless. Perhaps break this down into two pieces.

One, decide on the door style - and even get that installed.

Two, meanwhile, I think you will find you need to get close on a color solution, but maybe not the final decision. Once the door is installed, have two color selections painted on it: one at the top, and one at the bottom. Then stand back and use your fingers to make a frame so you just see one selection with the brick, etc. around it and then see the other selection. I believe it will become much easier to make the final decision this way. Reality is always going to look a little different than seeing it on the computer - this is just to get you close. Not your final answer. ;-)

Once you also have landscaping and other elements in place and can view it as a whole, it will also help.

Thanks mforr......I love three of the four last selections you posted.....now I can't decide either! But I think those last four solutions keep from being too dark, offer some contrast that says "Here's the front door" and bring a little delight and give something nice to landscape and decorate.
September 5, 2013 at 10:50am     
taradickerson
You all have been such a great help! I have decided to go with a traditional 6 panel door. As for the color I don't know but I like the 6 panel because it is simple, yet traditional and I don't think it will ever go out of style. I think a door with lights at the top may be a little too much since I also have a transom and the door that is on there now seems to much like an interior door to me. I think I will get the 6 panel that has the wood grains in it to give it some texture once I do paint it.
Thank you all again.
September 5, 2013 at 10:58am     
mefor
You're welcome Tara, good luck!! And I think the classic 6 panel will be perfect. Let me know if I can help in the future. :)
Your welcome catieb, anytime :)
September 5, 2013 at 11:17am        Thanked by taradickerson
Doors For Builders Inc
@Tara, we think it is a great choice. Here is a photograph of one of our custom-built units in a similar sidelite/transom setting. Good luck!
September 5, 2013 at 1:00pm     
Need help with front door and garage door paint color. Please Help
I live in a 1950's ranch, and I need help deciding...
Need design/paint help for front trim around historic front door,
I've been working hard on my landscape, comments welcome....continued...
Need help for a screen door for my new front door
Ideas for a screen door that doesn't hide the new window...
Need to update this exterior ASAP!! Suggestions
Just bought this home that is in need of complete renovation...
Planting ideas for the front of the old barn wall?
We don't want to hide the wall but it looks bare w...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Renovating multifamily house
We are buying a multifamily house that needs a lot...
Kitchen cabinet color update?
Need to modernize this kitchen! Removing architectural...