Ideas for study
holubca
I need ideas for this small study. It is approximately 9 x 9, so I need smaller scale seating. Suggestions for a rug and seating ideas? I'd like to add something to brighten up all the wood. There are French doors that open into the study that will probably need to remain open for any furniture to fit. Also, I'm thinking about shutters on the window. Would white shutters be okay with the oak trim around the windows??? Any ideas are appreciated.
pbjammin
Would you consider changing the paint color? It is a beautiful room!
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 8:23PM
naijareadsgirl
Paint the cabinet white, wall can be a dark color and do white trimmings. Its a nice room.
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 8:35PM
If you want to brighten without painting all out...how about removing the wood shelves to tempered glass and installing lights at the top of the shelving? You could also wallpaper the back of the bookshelves (or removable wallpaper) to lighten the space up. An area rug with color, and a desk chair that complements would finish it off.
3 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 8:44PM
holubca
Thanks for the suggestions. I Don't want to paint the wood because it matches the adjoining entry and staircase. I'd like to brighten without painting.
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 9:07PM
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 9:18PM
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 9:32PM
holubca
Chemayne, either something in the corners like you posted or a compact sofa. I don't think there is room for both. If I went with a rug like the cowhide you posted, what color fabric would you suggest for chairs/sofa?
0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 9:43PM
chemayne
Soft aqua or taupe would look good in the room. Was just browsing Pottery Barn and Ballard Designs online and saw these: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/greenwich-ottoman/?pkey=coccasional-chairs&group=1&sku=3330503 http://www.ballarddesigns.com/paris-leather-recliner/chairs/all-chairs/264714?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=49

Some duette honeycomb shades for the window. See example on similar window.

0 Likes   August 27, 2013 at 9:48PM
holubca
Thank you!
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 10:05PM
You can wrap cardboard with fabric / fabric glue (cut carefully to fit first) then pull shelves and place at back of shelves for Darzy's idea. You probably just need more lighting though - the wall of casework is pretty homeogenous - better to leave it unless you paint and the wood does look expensive.

How will you use the room? You could place a narrow writing desk facing out with one good chair to use the desk behind and the writing desk - perhaps the writing desk could be painted black so you ground the space a bit and reinforce the counter. http://www.computerdesks.com/writing-desks/writing-desks/waybornmurdochwritingdesk.cfm or http://www.computerdesks.com/writing-desks/writing-desks/hookertriesta60inwritingdesk.cfm or http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cami-Black-3-drawer-Writing-Desk/6641492/product.html?searchidx=0 as ideas.

Use a great lamp on one end and a smaller task light on the other. You would still have room for two club chairs in front of the desk facing each other- great for reading. The upholstery on those chairs, paint on the office chair and the drapery are the color story here. Use the primary accent shade in your main living room in view - is it red? Go for a red small print upholstery fabric on the chairs, and hang drapery that are camel with red trim - send the walls to sw blonde territory - a camel with gold undertones to echo the wood elements. Is it green? Green is terrific with wood tones - use masculine prints and neutral walls.

Not a big fan of the white blinds, but if they are paid for / need privacy and light control then just hang curtains flanking the window that you draw at night. You might take them down and give them a spray painting of ivory or pale tan to make them disappear more next to the wood. Hard to incorporate white and oak together without painting some of your wood out - and it seems you would have a more traditional space if you keep it.

I'm also a fan of green painted casework - this done in pale green / sage or moss (sw koi pond is terrific for this) with antique-ing would lighten the room significantly but remain neutral. One might also place a pair of chairs by the window and a work table / craft table on the wall to the left. One might hang a large workboard covered in a print fabric - this approach would create a room more oriented to the feminine.
1 Like   August 27, 2013 at 10:35PM
I need some ideas for my office/study room.
I am renting an apartment, I cannot change the paint...
In need of ideas to warm up our lounge/study room.
We recently painted this room white for the purpose...
Ideas for a narrow study/ guest bedroom
We have a room, 7' x 17' which is used as an office...
Ideas for a narrow study/ guest bedroom
kitchen cabinets
i want black cabinets with no pulls, and dark gray...
How far should these sconce be from mirror?
We're remodeling our fireplace and have decided to...
Drought Measures and Saving Water
Here in California, we've had a lot less rainfall and...
UK alternative to Semihandmade for Ikea kitchen
We are planning an ikea kitchen and I've been wowed...