Do I DARE to paint antique mahogany furniture ?
liselongboat
We are moving from a big house to a smaller condo , and I'd love to take the hall furniture [ mirror , small desk with drawer , and upholstered bench that slides underneath ] with me ... but I don't like the brown color . Would it look ridiculous in white ? Or maybe a soft sage ? Please help !
Are the pieces TRUE antiques, or just old? If they really are antiques painting them would probably cause them to lose their value.
August 28, 2013 at 4:25am     
liselongboat
OK ..
We bought them 50 years ago... actually had them carved in Mexico... other than losing their value -- would they look ridiculous ?
August 28, 2013 at 4:48am   
The Decorating Therapist
Depending on your style now, painting them will give them fresh life. You may want to look into Chalk Paint, a very durable paint that has a waxed finish applied once you're done to seal the paint. Pieces like yours would look really good with some of the edges and detail highlighted by rubbing off some of the paint before it dries for a casual, distressed look.
August 28, 2013 at 5:14am      Thanked by liselongboat
oxen
Two years ago, we painted our cherry Ethan Allen furniture. We did not paint the tops of the table and the sideboard-- just lightened the wood stain. We painted the bottoms of each piece an antiqued white. My husband thought I was crazy, but he loved it after it was done. I had them professionally painted. It was so reasonable & definitely cost less than buying new pieces. We went to his shop so we could see his finishes then chose one from his samples. Go thru decorating magazines tearing out finishes you like if you plan to have them done professionally which I recommend as long as you can find someone who is good & reasonable. He even picked up the furniture &.delivered it for nominal fee. I say, "Go for it"!
August 28, 2013 at 5:56am      Thanked by liselongboat
Dana Pope Designs
If painting the furniture will breath new life into your condo then I say paint away! Chalk paint is definitely the answer as there is little to no prep work, just paint away. There are 2 brands of chalk paint that I know of: Annie Sloan and CeCe Caldwell, both are nice, I like the Annie Sloan paint a little more. Hope that helps!
August 28, 2013 at 6:02am   
liselongboat
Thanks.... I'll look into it....
August 28, 2013 at 6:29am   
PH Interiors, LLC
My motto: If it doesn't move, paint it. If it moves, paint it anyway...lol.
August 28, 2013 at 8:53am     
liselongboat
Thanks !!
August 28, 2013 at 9:51am   
Dullea and Associates Inc.
There is a lot to be said about 'timeless' design.
August 29, 2013 at 7:19pm   
liselongboat
Meaning ....? Leave it be ..?
August 30, 2013 at 6:55am   
Can you post a photo? I'm not worried about the furniture losing substantial value, since it isn't actually an antique, but I'm wondering whether what you describe as "hand carving" will look good painted.
August 30, 2013 at 7:03am   
joyannello
Painted anything is the latest form of up cycling today! So paint and enjoy the transformation!
September 1, 2013 at 3:00pm   
Do I dare paint these?
They are maple and maple veneer, and over time have...
Help! Do I dare use this shower curtain?
Should I take a chance and use this gorgeous hummingbird...
Do I dare allow elk antlers in my house? :D
I can't believe it, but I'm actually considering letting...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...
Brick help!!
We would like to add on to our home, however, our local...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Driveway dilemma
Our driveway needed to be repaved...It was torn up...