Need help for new condo - kitchen and colors
gsweeney55
August 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have just retired and am buying a brand new condo - just being built. I get to pick kitchen, colors, etc. (first time in my whole life!) I have NO experience with this type of thing so looking to all of you for help and ideas.

Kitchen: I attached a couple of pictures. This is one that belongs to someone else. It is a small, compact kitchen.So my question -- dark or light cabinets? Ideas of color combos -- I want it to have some "punch". I plan to add a pantry cabinet to the left of that cabinet that is just hanging there -- and thought about angling the island? Thoughts?

Living area -- the kitchen opens up to the living/dinigh area. Oak wood floors. I have dark walnut dining set. I will be getting a new living room set so ideas there would be helpful as well - colors for walls, rugs, any pics would be awesome.

Thank you in advance for all your ideas and help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
groveraxle
Congratulations on your retirement and your new condo!

I like the contrast of dark cabinets with oak floors. I also like the idea of a pantry cabinet, but I'd keep it narrow and make the wall space on each side of the slider symmetrical. I wouldn't angle the island, though you might consider keeping the kitchen side parallel and angling the other side so it would be a trapezoid shape.

I looked at your kitchen ideabook and see you have lots of backsplash ideas. One thing to note: you'll get a cleaner look if you eliminate the integral 4" backsplash on the counter and just do tile (or whatever material you choose) from the bottom of the upper cabinets all the way down to the counter top.

2 Likes   Thanked by gsweeney55    August 28, 2013 at 6:20AM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Can you get the builder to NOT put the fireplace in the corner? Between the windows would be better if there is room or you could put an electric one on the wall to the left of the current corner one yourself after you move in. Corner Fireplaces are very hard to decorate around and harder still in small places.
1 Like   Thanked by gsweeney55    August 28, 2013 at 6:31AM
gsweeney55
Thank you for your ideas. @Mary - The fireplace is optional so I'm sure the builder would put it wherever we would like. @ Groveraxle - I hadn't thought about the symmetrical wall around the slider. Good catch!
0 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 6:36AM
PRO
MLB Design Group
You mentioned you're retiring, so you'll appreciate how lighter colored surfaces help us see better in the kitchen. As shown in groveraxle's photo above. Adding a tall cabinet to the left side of the kitchen is a good idea. It finishes off that side of the room, and makes a nice transition between spaces. As you mention, it would be handy for pantry items. I'd make it same depth as upper cabinetry -- and it would be great to make your upper cabinets and this pantry 13" deep instead of the standard 12" so your plates fit better. 12-15" deep pantries are great because you can see everything stored there.
1 Like   Thanked by gsweeney55    August 28, 2013 at 6:43AM