Need design suggestions for my living room ... Work in progress!
juliekl
Just moved into a new place and decorating/furnishing from scratch. I purchased a few key pieces I love (chesterfield, TV unit, antique trunk). Now trying to bring it all together. Still missing wall art, a carpet and maybe a chair or 2. Open to suggestions.. considering moving the trunk as a side table and getting a glass coffee table. Desperately looking for an accent color as well. Help!
Dana Pope Designs
Your space is great, I love the sofa, trunk, curtains and flooring. How contemporary do you want to go? It might be out of your comfort zone but I would love to see a large white shag rug. I like the idea of the trunk as an end table and getting a more feminine coffee table - glass with gold accents would be nice. You could bring in accents of any color - because your pallet is so neutral. Personally I don't love the vases on either side of the TV unit and the lamp is too small next to the TV. Do you have any wall decor you can use? Black and white photos? Mirrors? I like the direction you're going with the mix of industrial, masculine & feminine touches.
August 28, 2013 at 6:25am     
bygeorgi
That is such a lovely sofa.... I would play up the grey by using a type of pink as your accent color. A larger coffee table made from glass, use the trunk as a side table contrast by a very modern lamp atop. Modern simple pieces look good with your very traditional and vintage style pieces.
August 28, 2013 at 10:37am     
sharpkl
Here is a mix of beige, gray and yellow. Linen lampshades, subdued rug, pop of mustard. White and wood add to the mix. I live your sofa. So many possibilities.

August 28, 2013 at 10:52am     
Pure Home
August 28, 2013 at 10:54am     
carolins
Great sofa. What's lurking behind it? Looks like framed art... Are you considering that for your walls? Does it have a colour that you can use as an accent colour?
Your room is very neutral now. You could add teal, yellow, pink/coral....

Using the trunk as a side table is a good option. A round glass coffee table or a large ottoman would be good. The trunk is a bit too small and rectangular in shape for that spot.
Your curtains are a bit short. I would lower the rod so that they just 'kiss' the floor. It is a beautiful fabric.
August 28, 2013 at 11:02am     
abbyjean
I would love to see the two vases beside the tv TOGETHER in that corner by the curtain....taller one in the back, of course. No lamp on the console by the tv....no need for it there.

I worry about the trunk as an end table making the couch look LONG on the wall as the console is also long on the opposite wall. I rather like it for the coffee table, but moved in closer. Maybe an area rug to break up some of the floor and anchor the couch.

Just wondering about the table in front of the window???? Could THAT be fun as a side table???

LOVE slate blue with gray as an accent color. IF IF IF you get a rug, use a color from it for your pillows, too, and the art work. You need some pattern in the room and pillows are great for that.
August 28, 2013 at 11:08am     
Dar Eckert
The sofa is wonderful and a great eclectic mix of furnishings. I think the trunk works as a coffee table but you will need to get a piece of glass cut to put on it. That will help to protect the paint on top which makes the trunk so special. That group of candlesticks would look great on the end of the console of the TV instead of the tray. Use the great lamp on the metal table near the window but move it to the sofa to use as an end table. You will probably need an additional chair maybe something in light green. Here's a color combination that would look fresh and modern.

Funky and Fun Living Room
Yaletown Loft
August 28, 2013 at 11:42am     
mcbriec
Agree with everybody about the vases. The rest of your furniture looks curated and the vases definitely do not.

The Kylie chair posted by Chemayne and trellis rug posted by Pure Home would be beautiful with your sofa.

The trunk is fabulous, but too small as coffee table and would look better as an end table.

I think the tv credenza is way too low for the tv and would look better under a long window. There is a huge volume of unadorned wall space above the credenza so it looks very unbalanced.

Alternatively, I would put some larger objects on the credenza to raise its height and visual volume and would put the tv on the wall, perhaps surrounded by black and white phots to make it seem like it's part of a gallery wall.

Since white and grey are so neutral, I think just about any accent color would work, but I find grey and pink especailly pretty together.
August 28, 2013 at 12:03pm     
whalewatcher99
Drapes should be skimming floor, change light cushions on sofa to match your accent colour (patterned), I like mustard yellow with grey.
Change vases, find a box hideaway for tv remotes. Love sofa etc.
August 28, 2013 at 1:01pm   
abbyjean
What if you were to take the reeds out of the vases? AND then still put them together?
August 28, 2013 at 1:05pm     
need help and suggestions to design my living room.
Hi all, Need help to design my living room. It has...
Need suggestions for my family room and living room
Love the contemporary look! Not sure what to do with...
I'm still working on the design for my living room
This is a view From the gold sofa. I hate the drapes...
Need color and design suggestions for new living room.
Moving into new house, living room photo is attached....
Eucalyptus Floor
Is eucalyptus considered a hard wood and is it as durable...
Help with kids room layout
Hey guys need to finalize the layout for the kid's...
What would you suggest for window treatment?
Large stacked windows in our great room. Our main...
Front garden beds and improving street appeal.
I recently purchased my first house :) There are two...
Ranch house exterior update!
I plan to add a 2 1/2 car garage, an office and a backyard...