NEED HELP WITH A BIG FIREPLACE
Charlett Jensen
Hi ,

I have a white brick house and a white brick fireplace, which I love!
We want to put a nice mantel and 60" tv over it. There is a lot of other wall space ( all brick) that I would love to use some how. Any suggestions?
Margot Bowers
I think I would remove the mantel... replace with a reclaimed wood mantel (only slightly larger than the tv that will sit over it and then I would either flank the 2 sides with some sharp tall and slender mirrors, or build in some old wood book shelves to the right and left.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:38AM
Charlett Jensen
We are going to replace the wood burning fireplace with a gas one. Would we need to add a nice trim around the fireplace then? I love your ideas! Thank you!
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:43AM
So you are refacing the whole firepl? And screen will be mounted? That's a big job to knock out brick. I would add a 6-7 ft mantel very thick in reclaimed wood. Nothing on it. Where TV is now add very big potted palm. Stack 3 colorful pillows big on hearth on one side. On other some very tall pots 3 in color near end. Buy things you can return like TJMax. Play with things to see what works. Big baskets filled with firewood. Even though you won't use, it's a decor item.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:53AM
We can't see whole room but looks like you could add 2 chairs low back swivel, in a print will fill area to
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:55AM
Margot Bowers
My personal opinion would be to trim the fireplace in a pretty tennessee blue stone
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:10AM
rollifam
pretty fireplace! You are going to mount the tv above the fireplace? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it doesn't seem like there is enough room between ceiling beams and top of fireplace for a 60" tv
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:16AM
Margot Bowers
I would definitely flank the fireplace with two lower back comfortable swivel style chair with a sofa or love seat depending on the size of the room across from them I eat anything the TV and a coffee table in the middle. I was just addressing your brick wall issue
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:24AM
Charlett Jensen
We were going to remove the arch and the mantel and do a decorative piece mantel or salvaged wood like one of the other comments suggested. We have 46" from the arch to the middle beam. The tv in the picture is the previous owners. We have 2 sets of French doors in the room, a bar and will have a dark stained hard wood floor. We have a beautiful view of redwood and Birch trees around 35 or so, it's a very secluded area. Just to give you an idea of the setting. Thanks to everyone for the comments!
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:33AM
Margot Bowers
An additional suggestion, if the ceilings are tall enough, is to stain the beams back to match the new fireplace mantel. As long as you keep it light, it will not darken the room. If you do them too dark, it can make the ceilings feel too low, so you just have to be careful, but I think it would be a beautiful contrast.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:45AM
Charlett Jensen
Yes that's exactly what we were thinking. It sort of a grayish tan color. I've heard they have a product where you can wrap it to look like real wood. Thank you!
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:14AM
Margot Bowers
Yes there is such a product and I think it would really make your room pop
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:21AM
need help in deciding to go for a Big tv in the den or not.
i have a wall book case with a smaller tv. I have room...
caterfran
Need help for my livingroom big wall
I need some nice ideeas in order to decorate the big...
Alex
Help!! Are these pictures to big for this fireplace?
I'm thinking of hanging these pictures above our fireplace....
Leslie Porter
Hanging big screen TV over Gas Fireplace
Hey guys, I am interested in installing a 46" Kingsman...
okusa24
White Kitchen transition questions. Thanks for your help!
We're starting a remodel project, changing out our...
njcronk
Remodel master bath
Blueprint for my master bath. I want a claw foot or...
cdp Purvis
What to do with flex room?
We are designing our new home and have incorporated...
amis55
I NEED an interior designer
I bought a home that was built in 1920, we are renovating...
jacenda313
Help, small bathroom
I want to redo this small cramped bathroom. I think...
ew09texas