Need help with Popcorn Ceiling
Jason GivenAugust 28, 2013
My wife and I are purchasing a house that has popcorn ceiling in all of the rooms. We hate it and want to get rid of it. The house was built in 1975 so we are afraid it may have asbestos in it. Is there a product or a method that anybody knows of to cover it up?
Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dana Pope Designs
They can be scraped fairly easily but you would need to have a sample tested first to make sure they do not contain asbestos. Not sure where you go for that. Once you move in and start decorating, the ceiling's might not be so apparent.....
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You can go over the ceiling with new sheetrock and have it finished. If you haven't moved in however, you could have a small section of the ceiling tested (here it costs around $100.00 for a test) and find out for sure. If there is no asbestos, then call in a painting/drywall company before you move in and have it all removed. If there is asbestos, you can get a remediation firm to quote removing it. Then you can compare the cost of removal vs the cost of installing sheetrock over.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:42AM
PRO
eelyram7
It is very easy (but messy) to remove popcorn ceiling. You should get it tested for asbestos first, because if there is no asbestos then you will save a lot of money and aggravation by just removing it yourself. Basically you just spray it with water to loosen it then scrape it off. If you can, do this before you move in all your furniture. If there is asbestos in it, then you can cover it with a thin (1/4") layer of drywall. You could also use a skimcoat but this will be prone to cracking.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 10:44AM
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Just another comment: also test to see if the popcorn comes off easily. If it doesn't, it may have been painted with an oil based paint. In that case, it will be almost impossible to remove.
    Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 11:09AM