Living Room Ideas. Please.
tilturt
We just finished painting our living room. I would love to get some ideas on how to finish it off. It opens to outside and our dining room. I know we need a new media stand, I was thinking of something low but I'm not sure how long or whether it should be black or brown? The room was red before so I still need to change the color of the Ikea chair. Also, i think I need another lamp, more cushions and something over the fireplace. I'm aiming for a comfortable uncluttered look if that helps. Thank you for any suggestions.
abbyjean
I am wondering about turning the rug the other direction and then moving the couch to float and face the fireplace. This would creat a separation from your entrance in this same room. Love the chair cozied up in the corner by the fireplace. Put the tv on the other side of the fireplace. Move the ottoman over in front of the chair to use right there with it. Take the mirror off the wall and place it on the floor over by the door where the trunk is now. Move the trunk to in front of the couch to use as a coffee table.

I see red in the ottoman, too? AND red can be a fun accent color in this room for pillows and a throw and the chair may still work then.
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 12:00PM
Could you identify the paint color? It looks pale green or white or soft turquoise.
   August 28, 2013 at 12:04PM
tilturt
Thanks Abbyjean, Good idea, I'll try that later today when I have some help moving things around. It might make it a little tight on space as there are 5 of us and we already fight over seats :) My kids like to lie on the rug to watch tv. I've attached another picture of the opening to the dining room.
   August 28, 2013 at 12:11PM
tilturt
Judianna20, it's an aqua color. ICI Glidden (used to be Dulux) paint - 'Stillness'. Thx.
   August 28, 2013 at 12:16PM
abbyjean
OK......no fighting over seats and love thinking of the kids on the floor to watch tv as your rug looks comfy. How about the tv changes to the wall the couch is on now and the red chair goes beside it, facing out the front window. I know that means no one sits in that chair to watch tv, but the other chair and couch are still nice and close and so is the rug. Are you worried the trunk as the coffee table would interfere? WHAT IF you used that great trunk to put the tv on????

Move the small round table by the couch now over by the big chair. It is too small for the big couch.

By moving the tv, it will not be in a traffic pattern from the front door. Keep that door area for coming and going. Let the living area be the chairs, fireplace and the tv all anchored by your rug. The big mirror might be nice by the front door.....and maybe not if you have kids and will worry about it. We can play with that area IF this arrangement works for you when you try it.
   August 28, 2013 at 12:17PM
Terracegallery
Since you already have a large mirror over the sofa...art would be a great choice for over the fireplace...a square canvas looks to be the right shape...what type of art do you enjoy?
   August 28, 2013 at 1:22PM
Angelina Vick
Beautiful floors!

"comfortable uncluttered look" ok...

I agree with Terracegallery....art would be ideal over the fireplace.

I noticed you have some red accents so I am going to give you some red ideas for tthe tv room.
   August 28, 2013 at 1:38PM
Angelina Vick
A wall collage would be cool on the wall behind your tv. And would be fun to create and personalize.
1 Like   August 28, 2013 at 1:40PM
Angelina Vick
The living area with the fireplace has a very calm atmosphere.

A piece of calm art would go well. Natural scenes, simple designs.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/an-apple-a-day-with-martin-luther-angelina-vick.html http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/ocean-2-angelina-vick.html
   August 28, 2013 at 1:45PM
How about using the chest in the corner as the tv stand? I'd also move the tripod lamp that is hidden behind the chair and put it on the left side of the sofa. A round wooden coffee table and a couple of poufs ottomans for the children. The poofs can be placed on either side of the tv when not in use.
   August 28, 2013 at 2:12PM
Would you consider a coral accent color with the aqua?
   August 28, 2013 at 2:29PM
Or you could embrace the aqua and red and get a round side table and put a pretty aqua lamp on it by the chair/window.
Bella View
Arteriors Caprice Aqua Glass Lamp
   August 28, 2013 at 2:36PM
tilturt
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.

Abbyjean, I tried the new layout last night. I think it would be very cozy if there were 2 of us but it takes away approx 1/3 of the space so it"s not practical with so many to accommodate. Also, we spend a lot of time with the front door open (we are lucky to live where the weather is nice) and the kids spend a lot of time out front so the current layout makes it easy to keep an eye on them.

Angelina, thank you for the wall collage idea for the tv wall. I think that would look great. It will probably take me some time but I"ll start working on that. I'll post a picture when it's done.

Darzy, Love, love, love the pouf idea. It will definitely add some color and help with the seating in this room. Do you think they have to closely match the paint color or just be similar? I like the coral too, i'm really trying to get away from the red, I had red for a long time and i'm very tired of it. The round coffee table would look great but floor space more valuable at this point I think. I adore the lamp but will have to wait until its in the budget :(

I haven't put the tv on the wooden chest because I'm not sure what I would do with the DVD and cable box. The chest has a matching bookcase in another room and a chest of drawers in my bedroom so I can easily find another home for it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, it"s so helpful.
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 10:48AM
Angelina Vick
You're welcome! Have fun creating it!
   August 29, 2013 at 11:24AM
Some big bold art over firepl. Hang 5-6" from top of mantel. Get two chest type end tables for sofa ends add very tall lamps n a color base. Teal or turquoise will work. Pull chair out from corner a bit. Add a round glass coffee table 24" add a small round table next to chair and put a plant on it. TV add a dark wood wall unit that should cover most of that wall. tV on low 5 ft dark media. Sit TV on top. Ikea has good one and great price. If room on one end add a tall bamboo. Ikea or World market carries. Put in nice pot in blue tones. On window get turquoise and white trellis or chevron design panels. You need a print do same with pillows on sofa and chairs aqua, and blue green tones. Accessorize wall unit, just a few items. Candles pots, bowls. Don't over do. I like mirror. But a bigger one in a silver or black frame will fill wall more. Or with moulding add a 6" frame around one you have. Add a white bamboo shade to window, Home Depot carries. On firepl with art add 2 tall dark wood candle sticks, on one end only. Can red chair work on other end of window with back to door? Can go 1/3 of the way in n window. Just for some color. If you can replace cushion do with turquoise . If not rd would work. All other items by TV should be removed.
   August 29, 2013 at 11:46AM
Also can sofa come down towards TV more looks to close to firepl.
   August 29, 2013 at 11:47AM
Instead of end table on end of sofa by firepl. Add a tall big palm in that corner. Make sure it's full then only add one table at other end. You should look for reclaimed wood for tables.
   August 29, 2013 at 11:50AM
Recover ottoman in zebra. And put in front of firepl. Easy to do with a staple gun and fabric. Jo Ann's carries. Just wrap fabric round nd tile underneath. Fun accent. Throw a zebra pillow on chair. On panels have them cover about 1/3 of that small window. They are too bunched up now.
   August 29, 2013 at 11:54AM
You need same pattern in panels in dining rm. what's on table? I don't like it. Is there something Wong with table? Placemats are always better a stripe in your colors. What are color item by door? I would move out of sight. And add art on big wall. Something tall and wide, 5 ft and 40" a palm in that corner will bring room together.
   August 29, 2013 at 11:59AM
I also see you can't move sofa dn. if kids like floor get some jewel tone floor pillows keep by window, for them to lay on 3 is good.
   August 29, 2013 at 12:01PM
If budget tight, Walmart has a reclaimed ood media it's taller, with wheels. Would look great with our ZtV sitting on top. Has room for all these components. $179. Like I said before a wall unit with lower media would be great to. Not really a fan of art collage Over TV, they end looking cluttered. I would go with Walmart's media and add a tall plant on each end or Ikea, but for sure some bold art on firepl. TJMax and Ikea has great prices.
   August 29, 2013 at 12:07PM
It's actually more interesting to have several different shades of a color, rather than to match perfectly with the wall color.
3 Likes   August 29, 2013 at 12:08PM
Check TJMax for lamps, also Ikea, target all have some nice thing for low price. You do not have to spend a lot it's the accessories that make a room. Try bed,bath n beyond for panels. You really just need color and texture in room. Prints and bamboo shades will do that.
   August 29, 2013 at 12:10PM
If no room for table at end of sofa. Add floor lamp you have there. then get a smaller table lamp for chair. Remember color.
   August 29, 2013 at 12:11PM
On a tight budget, I'm a fan of Craigslist vintage dressers and paint it your accent color for the tv stand. Then, on the drawers, change the front drawers to a bottom hinge (to pull down the drawer front) so you can put the components in the drawer space and use the remotes. Drill a hole in the back of the dresser to slide the electrical cords through. It's a great look, unique and your own creation.
   August 29, 2013 at 12:14PM
abbyjean
How about the couch stays where it is since you know it works there and then put the tv on the chest in the corner where the chair is now and move the chair to the opposite side of that window, angled exactly the same way, with the ottoman in front of it. I still think the tv needs to be a part of the sitting area, but that may be just me, huh?

Try that great floor lamp by the couch where the small table is now. It needs to be seen instead of peeking out behind that chair.
1 Like   August 29, 2013 at 1:08PM
laurav507
What great ideas from other posters! This was exactly our living room layout before we took down the wall and opened up to our kitchen. I had fun previously moving furniture around in the room. Who says it has to stay in the same place? I liked our TV in the corner the best like the other poster suggested. And people cant see it from the window at night! Artwork over the sofa would look great. I am all about a big piece vs collage. Have fun!
   September 4, 2013 at 7:38PM
Please help with living room ideas!
I'm stuck on how to dress this room...any inspiring...
Re-designing living room. Ideas please!
We got a new place and I would like to give my living...
Decorating ideas for my living room please?
Just bought this house and this furniture. Looking...
My hardwood has been discontinued, what to do, wanted to continue it!
I am buying a house that was finished in 2013. It...
What color walls for living room? Leave or update?
The walls were done before I updated the upholstery...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Houzzers help!
I've got to finalize my backsplash today. What do you...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...