Help me decorate for Christmas
indycoolchick
I've uploaded four images of my living room and dining room. The living room is a square with large patio doors and baseboard electric heaters.

I'm having an issue figuring out how to decorate and create a flow that doesn't make it feel cluttered.

I currently own a 42 inch flat screen TV and a Pottery Barn Porter desk that takes up the entire dining area as show below.

In one of the images you will see a 3/4 round table that has done dual duty as a TV stand since I moved in last December.

Few notes,

Work from home and only have one bedroom so need to create functional office space with storage options but still want my place to be intimate and cozy. Most of all NO CLUTTER.. Also I own 600 books that are currently sitting in a bedroom closet.

HELP!!

One last thing, I was thinking the closet could be used as a "office storage space"
dacianak
The little nook where the ceiling fan is next to the bathroom could be a good area for an "office space".Maybe a corner desk for the computer or totally use that little nook space and put shelving for all your books.
August 28, 2013 at 8:52pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
I'm having a little trouble getting a handle on your space, so I'm going on what you describe in your text. The white table is the Porter desk, I assume? And I'll also assume you plan to buy a sofa, maybe a couple of chairs and a TV stand? So, as posted above, the little nook with the fan could be your office space. With 600 books and lots of storage, Ikea is going to be your friend. I'm posting a couple of ideas of how you can make use of their excellent modular systems, but the tall bookshelves that were made to look like built-ins could go along the back wall of that nook. Then, hopefully if space allows, your Porter's desk could sit 2 or 3' in front of the "built-ins" and be facing toward the LR (or whatever that space is). Will that work, or do I have the space all mixed up? And this will work best if you are using a laptop and are wireless, otherwise you will have to discreetly run your cables back to the wall outlets.

So, for the LR area, that wall that has the baseboard heater looks like a good size for the TV on a proper stand. Check out Crate and Barrel for nice, contemporary stands with closed storage. A sofa, or sofa with chaise facing the TV but far enough back to allow for 2 small side chairs should give you seating for 5 or 6 people. I've also posted a couple of pics of ottomans that offer storage and extra seating, or coffee table with seating, whatever you feel will work best for you.

For DR, and again, I don't really know exactly how your space is flowing, but I'm wondering if that table can be placed in that 3/4 position right behind your sofa. So what I'm picturing here is a LR/DR is all one big space, and this nook is off somewhere and could act as separate office? Or is the LR/DR more of an L shape? I think the trick in your space is going to be having everything serve a dual purpose: storage/seating, dining/buffet entertaining, book storage/display shelves/basket cubbies. If you can describe your space in more detail and give room dimensions, it would help with the problem-solving!
August 28, 2013 at 11:11pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
So in the main pic, I see the light coming from your patio doors and in the pic of your Porter desk, I see some curtains. Does this mean your LR/DR is one long space with a little nook off to the side? And, if so, where is this other nook that has the ceiling fan?
August 28, 2013 at 11:16pm   
Angelina Vick
That many books? You definitely need bookshelves.
August 28, 2013 at 11:18pm     
karemore55
More thoughts: if you are concerned about your books having a cluttered look, consider buying shelving with clear glass doors (Ikea offers this too). There's something about being behind closed doors, even glass ones, that feels less cluttered - not to mention less dusting! Pics below: dressers are decorative and offer lots of storage. If there's room in your entryway, you could store hats, gloves, etc. in one. Or elsewhere, they can hold extra dishes, etc. the chair in pic 4 is from Crate and Barrel. If you can fit 2 small side chairs in front of the TV (on each side of it kind of) facing toward your sofa, it will make the space look more like a LR than a TV lounge.
August 28, 2013 at 11:28pm      Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
Just came across this pic and wondered if this could work for you, slightly adapted. You could do wall to wall bookshelves, then have your DR table in front as shown here. Notice how the centre area of the bookshelves is decorated more with curios and more attractive accessories. The books would go more on the perimeter shelves, almost acting as frames for the table.
August 28, 2013 at 11:49pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
Another idea: can the bookcases go behind your sofa, or is there a wall long enough to hold the bookcases and a wall opposite where the TV could go?
August 28, 2013 at 11:57pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
Found this media cabinet on PB website. Alternatively, you could set TV on a 60" wide dresser, or two 30" wide dressers pushed together. It wouldn't scream media.
August 29, 2013 at 12:36am      Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
To answer a few questions above... the "nook" area is considered a dining room and leads into a galley kitchen. The door next to the Porter desk is actually the bathroom. :( I know kind of weird placement set-up. The small hallway by the bathroom door leads into my bedroom.

My concern about wall to wall bookshelves is the base heaters on the two main wall spaces. Not sure if you can tell but there are two wall heaters. I don't want to block them and cause damage to the furniture from being too close to them. My Flat Screen is currently sitting in the corner of the first image where the door is located (gym shoes in the picture. Since I sometimes sit at my desk and watch TV I wanted to keep the tv in that corner of the room. Hope that makes sense. The image where the 3/4 round table is showing you the opposite wall to the apartment door where there is a window air unit.

Was also considering a small chair with accent table for when I first come in, sit down take off my shoes, etc.
August 29, 2013 at 6:37am   
karemore55
Indycoolchick, I'm still confused about your layout - sorry! Could you sketch it out, showing those baseboard heaters and your windows as well, so I can get a good sense of what you're working with (or anyone else who reads this). Also, if you could show dimensions of the spaces that would help too. Also, is this a rental where you might have limitations as far as what you could screw onto the walls? The reason I ask is because just last night I came across a pic of some shelving that was mounted above the floor and this could work, but it would require drywall screws, not to mention a little DIY capability. First pic shows this idea, second pic shows a desk between 2 closed cupboards. You don't need your desk facing a wall, but if you can picture, in your space, the 2 tall closed cupboards (again Ikea), with a span of wall-mounted shelf to keep baseboards exposed, this might work. But it would be nice to see what exactly you have there!
August 29, 2013 at 11:07am      Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
Also, you mentioned you were thinking of using a closet to store office stuff - could you slide a couple of tall bookcases into it to store some of your books, or do you want your books visible?
August 29, 2013 at 11:10am   
karemore55
Another multi-tasked. Something like this could work I. Your entryway - a bench with drawers below and even a shelf for shoes. Could put a seat cushion on it for a softer look.
August 29, 2013 at 11:52am     
indycoolchick
Found some images online of the show unit that may help give a better idea of what the place looks like. Only difference is mine is facing West so the room is reversed. Another difference is in the model unit they don't have the heaters so it's a little misleading.
August 29, 2013 at 3:07pm     
indycoolchick
The living room is 13 X 16, dining room is 8 X 8.9 ft.

The Porter desk is 59.5" wide x 32.5" deep x 31" high so wondering if I should get a slightly smaller desk? Maybe a West Elm Parson's desk. There is one on CLs right now for 160 and a friend is interested in buying my desk if I get rid of it.
August 29, 2013 at 3:12pm   
indycoolchick
I have the following nightstand/accent table I'm not really connecting with so will be taking it back to the store this weekend.
August 29, 2013 at 3:15pm   
indycoolchick
Also purchased this from CL just this past weekend. Thought it would be nice as an accent piece in the living room or as a small table for a bedroom reading nook.
August 29, 2013 at 3:19pm     
indycoolchick
Another image to show you the room... the image seems smaller than what it actually looks like.
August 29, 2013 at 3:27pm   
karemore55
OK, I hope I have it straight! Just to confirm, the way I sketched it out your entry door into the apartment is pretty much directly opposite the hallway to your bedroom, give or take a foot or so? So, how to explain without confusing the heck out of you... I feel that in order to get the proper distance from your large TV, you will need to orient your desk, sofa and TV toward the wall that is adjacent to the A/C unit. So, starting from your DR nook, you would have tall bookshelves along the whole back wall of the DR, leave 3' of space then place your Porter desk (which btw I think is beautiful - don't get rid of it!). So, while sitting at your desk, you are facing that wall that is beside A/C unit. I hope I haven't messed something up with the mirroring of your unit to the show suite, but hopefully you'll figure it out! So the back of your sofa would be exactly lined up with your hallway leading to the bedroom. It would be just far enough away from the side wall to be able to open that closet door. This has you sitting about 13' away from your TV, which should be comfortable. Now, I highly recommend you get your TV wall-mounted to avoid that baseboard heater, but if this isn't possible, could you wall-mount an Ikea set of cubbies (the kind that holds baskets) on the horizontal and place the TV on it? I would then place 2 small, low-back side chairs a couple of feet in front of the TV, and angling toward sofa. And, of course, coffee table with storage or ottoman that can hold a tray in front of sofa!

So your DR table would go in the corner where you currently have your TV. The baseboard heater on that side shouldn't interfere with anything. You should have room next to the table for a small dresser, or your chair and small table idea, or even a other tall bookcase (right next to door). It appears there is also room just in front of the door for a short bench where you could sit down to out on shoes, and you could hang a small wall shelf to hold keys, etc. and a mirror above that to make that wall work for you.

I hope you can picture all this. I just don't see how you can fit a desk, sofa and TV using the 16' wall and still be able to comfortably watch TV. To meet your storage needs (books), you will definitely need to think vertically and have as many tall bookcases with both open and closed storage as possible. Just make sure they're all the same color, preferably white, to keep it all looking as light and cohesive as possible.
August 29, 2013 at 3:59pm      Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
I love the ceramic side table and can totally see it working beside your sofa. It looks like it would be nice and sturdy on the carpet if it got bumped.
August 29, 2013 at 4:01pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
Wow... thank you so much.. but there's one slight issue. The TV has to stay in the corner by the front door because of how the cable is set up. I could move it but would have to run cables and that would kind of take away from the visual esthetics I think. When sitting at my desk in the dining room I can see the TV just fine so that corner won't be a problem.

Another option would be to place the dining room table near the window AC but want it away from it because in the summer the cold air would be hard to take.

You mentioned having the back of a couch facing the dining room area but won't that cut off the flow and make it feel cramped?

I measured the wall near the front door which can't be seen in my original image but I can place a bench or console there that's at least 4 feet long. Figured the following one might work and just sent a request to the CL bidder to see if it was still available.
August 29, 2013 at 4:08pm   
indycoolchick
Here's what the TV looks like now :) Of course the 3/4 dining room table is leaving along with the chairs to match
August 29, 2013 at 4:11pm   
karemore55
OK, where there's a will there's a way!, so how about this - keep TV where it is, but still wall mount or have it sitting on a wall shelf, and face it straight across the room, not in the corner. So, on opposite wall where A/C unit is, about 2.5 feet out from wall you place your desk. Your chair would go in the 2.5' space so you are facing the TV. Then your sofa back would butt right up to your desk. I think this nice,y aligns the sofa with your patio doors so that your whole conversation area is perpendicular to them. That would be pretty! You would then be able to have the 2 side chairs facing toward sofa, as in first scenario. Now for storage - and I think this would look quite funky - your DR area walls would be completely covered with bookshelves. I sure hope you like Ikea because I keep referring ack to them - they should give me a finder's fee or something! (The weird thing is I don't have a lot of Ikea myself - I think I'm getting old). Anyway, along the back wall of the DR, you could fit 3 - 2.5' wide tall Billy bookcases, then along side wall you could do 2 - 3' bookcases, and butt them right up to the other ones at the corner. This would make an Wesome backdrop for your dining table - 600 books wallpapering your eating nook! Back to the area of your desk, yes, you will probably need to use that closet for office storage, and you could hang a wall-mounted closed cabinet on the wall above the baseboard heater. On the other side of the patio doors, you could do a matching wall-mounted shelf, or a dresser with a tall bookshelf - that should give you more than enough storage. Now, where to put the Xmas tree....
August 29, 2013 at 4:38pm     
kathy
I agree that basically you need to make the dining area your office and dining room. It looks like the white desk is big enough to be the table. And with all those books, you definitely need to love Billy bookcases or something similar. But I am thinking to put a desk in the middle of the wall of bookcases, to break it up a little. This idea:

]

The wall would be your bookcases and desk top, with shelves above, because you need every inch. Then as karenmore says, your table (porter) sits in front of bookcase by at least 36", if you can. You then have the choice of working at table or desk on wall. But when you are dining, there is a place to move all your work to, so you are not 'eating at your desk'.
If you have the budget to do so, you can buy doors for the Billy. Also look at Besta line (also Ikea). Billy cases are 11" deep, Besta is 16", I think. You might want to measure some of your biggest books to see which is a better fit.

Hope this makes sense.

Your spot by the front door, certainly you could have a console there, but I would think you would be better to have your work as together as possible. What closet are you talking about for work storage? Again, Ikea has lots of interior organizers so that you could store somethings in there, without giving up your coat/clothes closet completely.

I too am not affiliated with Ikea in any way - just that the Ikea catalogue is on of the most-read mags in my house!
August 29, 2013 at 5:27pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
The closet is in image two, it's the closed white door. It already has a shelf in it but could fit a couple of 5 feet tall bookshelves in it.

What do you ladies think of this shelf system? Not really cost effective but I like the different sized shelves with this unit.
August 29, 2013 at 8:48pm     
indycoolchick
Another storage issue I forgot to mention is the 200 plus DVDs I own. Hmm thinking I need to put some stuff on half.com :)
August 29, 2013 at 8:51pm     
indycoolchick
It's funny you mention Ikea.. this is an image I pinned on Pinterest 41 weeks ago as an idea for the dining room/office.
August 29, 2013 at 9:01pm     
Your post says *help me decorate for Christmas* and I am here to help ;)

August 29, 2013 at 9:12pm   
indycoolchick
Guess that should say by Christmas :)
August 29, 2013 at 9:54pm     
karemore55
Oh ya, I love those shelves - so not cookie cutter! I also like the office storage idea you pinned - I want to pin that one myself. Haven't come across it yet. Yes, if you can keep all the shelving white, it will keep some order to the madness. Not sure how you are storing your CD's (or did you say DVD's?), but putting them in those little storage boxes from Michaels (or Ikea), the ones that look like little shoe boxes, keeps them covered so they don't get all dusty. And putting 2 bookcases in your closet will also cut back on dusting requirements. We did that as a storage solution in our den, which was formerly a bedroom, in our last house. My hubby is the hoarder, not me.
August 29, 2013 at 10:38pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
If you get the shelf system with the staggered shelves, organize it somewhat like the one in the pic, where they devoted some shelves to things that are pretty and ornamental, not just books. You could have that along the back wall of your DR and still have 2 tall Billy bookcases on the side wall, which you said is 8' long. And if you end up putting your desk over near the A/C unit, you could do some wall shelving as per the idea you pinned on Pinterest.
August 29, 2013 at 10:43pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
Karen, Had a chance to go to Ikea today and they have a new version of the Expedit shelving unit. What do you think, two of them in white for the office space and the brown one for the flat screen TV and to hold the dvds? The brown is the same bookshelf just on its side.
September 2, 2013 at 7:08pm     
indycoolchick
Or a different media stand with these as shelving for the DVDs.
September 2, 2013 at 7:10pm     
karemore55
Oh, I love the new Expedit options! Yes, definitely go with the two in white and darker one on its side for TV, as you said. You could house the DVD's in the slots of the TV one, and loads of storage in the white ones. Have you decided where you will put the white ones?
September 2, 2013 at 7:16pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
Also saw these shelves but don't think they will work.
September 2, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Angelina Vick
Two white and one brown is a winner...I think it's great how versatile those are. =)
September 2, 2013 at 7:29pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
I've decided to leave the desk in the dining room and the back wall will be where I place the bookshelves. And place a memo board, floating shelving and a clock on the side wall.
September 2, 2013 at 7:34pm     
indycoolchick
One last expedit shelf I took an image of... like the glass doors which I can add to any of the expedit shelving. Curious, do you think I should add the rollers to the shelving units? Figure it will make them easier to move around.
September 2, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Angelina Vick
Are they heavy? They don't look heavy. If you add wheels...that means you won't be able to turn them to a different orientation later, right?
September 2, 2013 at 7:47pm   
indycoolchick
Didn't think of that Angelina... :) The two boxes weigh 115 pounds but I have carpet so moving them around won't be an issue.
September 2, 2013 at 7:51pm   
karemore55
Re the ,sat pic of Expedit shelf on rollers. I'm thinking you don't have a lot of spots you can roll them around to, and I think you have carpet, so you would still have a hard time moving them. And with or without rollers, you would still need to empty all the books off the shelves first. That particle board doesn't like being moved too much either. I'm still loving your idea of the staggered shelves. The open shelves look very Ikea-ish, a tad preppy, and might not be all that practical since they're open on the sides. One thing I should mention with the staggered shelves - make sure you leave a few shelves on each unit either empty or with a decorative object on it, just to keep it pretty!
September 2, 2013 at 8:11pm   
karemore55
I meant to comment, though, on the idea of glass shelves. On the staggered shelves, glass doors would look odd (or were those staggered shelving units Expedit?). But I do think glass doors will make it all look neater, and certainly cut down on dusting. So, with that in mind, perhaps you should go with the traditional Expedit shelves with glass doors.
September 2, 2013 at 8:14pm   
karemore55
Also, love the way you plan to set up your DR/home office! Do you have some idea of where you will put a DR table? If you haven't already gotten rid of it, I wo DDR if you should keep that 3/4 table and place it behind your sofa with one chair pulled up to it for yourself. If you plan to entertain, maybe the table could be moved out from behind the sofa and set up in the space between your DR and LR? Alternately, if you shop real smart, you can find a settee that has a high enough seat to be used at a table, but is still comfy enough to sit at for TV watching. You would then turn it around to face the table when you need it for dinner guests. Sounds weird, I know, but there's a so,union for everything! I have such a settee in my DR, which was originally a love seat but I had it recovered and had thicker foam used for the seats to get the right height. my daughter sits at this settee and watches movies on her laptop all the time. You can buy settees at table height - you would need the height of the seat to be about 20".
September 2, 2013 at 8:24pm     
indycoolchick
Another unit I thought was cute but not for me since it would need to be mounted on the walls.
September 2, 2013 at 8:35pm   
indycoolchick
Here is the other staggered shelves I posted before.. It would take two of the narrow and one of the wide shelves to make the image I posted the other day. As I mentioned before this unit is pricey.. around a 1000.00 for the three units.
September 2, 2013 at 8:44pm   
karemore55
If you can't afford it, maybe go for the regular Expedit shelves and add glass doors at a later date, when you can afford it. Either that, or everyone gets homemade or handmade this Xmas!
September 2, 2013 at 8:47pm     
indycoolchick
The shelves I just posted are from Dania.. the ones from earlier today will only run 300 for all three units before any doors. Was also thinking of adding baskets on some of the shelves to give it a little extra.
September 2, 2013 at 8:54pm     
indycoolchick
Not sure if anyone who was around before is still here but I purchased the following two items for my place. (Yes I'm slow) :) The console will be used as a media stand.
December 3, 2013 at 8:01pm     
indycoolchick
I'm purchasing the Expedit shelf for the office space this weekend. In White. Still trying to decide the seating area. Goal is still to be ready for Christmas!
December 3, 2013 at 8:02pm     
karemore55
The pressure is on! Yes, I remember you, Indy. Had to zip through the thread to refresh my memory though!

Love the coffee table and console. Keep posting. I hope you pick up a few more helpers with your next posts. We'll take you to the finish line!
December 3, 2013 at 9:16pm        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
I give up... Think I've made mistake after mistake because I was nervous and unable to make up my mind. I cancelled the order for the coffee table and media console. After measuring my space and the coffee table I just thought it was too big. So of course the console had to go.

Mistake #2, I purchased a red couch! GASP and now I'm struggling to come up with a color scheme. I was thinking grays and cream accents for the living room to calm the red and grays and creams with accents of red in the office space to connect the two spaces.

Attaching additional images..

The door area, view from hallways to the bedroom, view from office and also what it looks like with the red couch. The chair is leftover furniture and won't remain in the LR.
December 18, 2013 at 7:40pm   
indycoolchick
Sorry uploaded one twice, here are the rest of the images. I'm actually thinking about returning the red couch if I can't come up with a color scheme that works. Is it even possible to return furniture?
December 18, 2013 at 7:42pm     
indycoolchick
Better image of the couch
December 18, 2013 at 7:43pm     
karemore55
OK, don't panic - don't do anything just yet. One question: what drew to the red couch? What ideas floated around in your head when you went for that couch? What look did you envision? Were you thinking it would be great to have something not like everyone else's? Is it a favourite color in your wardrobe? Spill!
December 18, 2013 at 8:35pm     
karemore55
Indy, Here are a couple of ideas for sofa pillows that will work with your red sofa. See if they inspire you, or help you to see a color scheme that you would love to use. The first four below could theoretically all be mixed and matched in your room, although I don't know if you want four pillows on one sofa lol. Maybe if you get an armchair?:)))
December 18, 2013 at 10:39pm   
karemore55
The pillows below could be used in a color scheme of red, navy and cream and/or grey.

Whichever color scheme you develop, try to find one multi-color item - maybe in a sofa pillow or a piece of art - and pull your colors from it.

You were drawn to that red sofa for a reason, so don't give up on it too quickly! Ready-made sofas can usually be returned, but there will probably be a re-stocking fee so you will lose some money in the return.
December 18, 2013 at 10:43pm     
indycoolchick
Good Morning Karen,

When shopping for couches this store was the only place that had "apartment sized" couches. This one just really stood out, was firm like I like my couches and on sale. They had it paired with a set of wood,metal...rustic tables.

Last night I almost purchased a pallet table with wheels but refrained.Trying to be smarter with my purchases moving forward.

I've dreamed of a warm,cozy and inviting place. Something Uncluttered and a place that puts a smile on my face when I open the door.

Last night I purchased a dar gray cable knit throw from West Elm. It looks great on the couch.

Looking at the pillows none of them really stand-out.

Wondering if I should paint the walls a different color in the living room?
December 19, 2013 at 2:47am   
indycoolchick
This is the throw/color.
December 19, 2013 at 3:09am   
indycoolchick
This is the table I almost purchased. Only issue the iKea items won't match it. Plus it's pretty wide when you think of the couch/room.
December 19, 2013 at 3:11am   
indycoolchick
I also think the couch is slightly modern/retro so I need to remember that when purchasing complimentary pieces.
December 19, 2013 at 3:17am   
karemore55
Indy, This probably sounds weird but if we could find a few pillows that you really, really like, I would be able to zoom in on your style a bit better. Same with art - one piece of art that you just love, and you can decorate a whole room around it.

If you could start posting either pillows or art that you love, I will help you hone the look so that everything works together.

Hold off on the wall painting idea for now. Let's see what color scheme develops from these other choices. I personally have always liked white walls for a modern, fresh feel, and it seems like any art you hang on them just looks good. I'm also remembering your 600+ books lol - those will offer a lot of color, and will be art in themselves!
December 19, 2013 at 9:40am        Thanked by indycoolchick
karemore55
Btw, the coffee table you almost bought does look a little big, but the style of it would work with the Ikea furniture. A mix of modern and rustic is a great look!
December 19, 2013 at 9:43am        Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
I've been searching for the last hour or so but still looking for other images to share. The following are just images of rooms I love. First up - Cozy
December 19, 2013 at 6:05pm   
indycoolchick
More cozy, modern and zen inspiration
December 19, 2013 at 6:07pm   
indycoolchick
I love these clocks..
December 19, 2013 at 6:11pm   
indycoolchick
Pillows I like
December 19, 2013 at 6:20pm     
indycoolchick
Last one before you run me out of here. This is a lamp I purchased this week.
December 19, 2013 at 6:24pm   
karemore55
Indy, Thanks for showing me what you love. I'm seeing lots of texture, lots of knots and sweater fabrics, some rustic, so e casual, mainly neutrals - and no red! My dear, we can make the red work but you must be sure you can live with it. We can definitely use creams and greys, but you will need a few little hits of red here and there, otherwise the sofa will be the elephant in the room. It can just be a bit of red in some piece of art, maybe one sofa pillow with some red in the pattern and the other pillows neutral, and that would be enough.

I'm going to start with pillows and art. You don't have to like the art - it would just be to show you how the red sofa could work. But pillows - we must find a couple of pillows you love!

And just want to clarify - are you interested in dark blues at all, or for sure wanting to stick with cream and grey?
December 19, 2013 at 7:08pm   
karemore55
Oh, and I like the lamp - it's a keeper!
December 19, 2013 at 7:08pm     
karemore55
And the second pic of pillows you posted - the grey and the beige pillow - are those from
West Elm?
December 19, 2013 at 7:09pm   
karemore55
Now it's my turn to inundate you with pics lol! I could have gone on forever but forced myself to stop at the 10 or 12 below.
December 19, 2013 at 7:19pm     
karemore55
And some more.
December 19, 2013 at 7:20pm   
karemore55
And some more. Remember that the painting doesn't have to be very big. Depending on where you hang it, just a 16X20" might be enough. It doesn't have to be a big splash of red covering half your wall!
December 19, 2013 at 7:23pm   
karemore55
And the last three.
December 19, 2013 at 7:23pm     
karemore55
Ok, possible pillow combinations:
December 19, 2013 at 8:41pm     
karemore55
Another combination.
December 19, 2013 at 8:42pm     
karemore55
One more.
December 19, 2013 at 8:43pm     
karemore55
And some odds and ends that could be combined with other neutrals.
December 19, 2013 at 8:45pm   
karemore55
I also found this rather funky little hallway table on Shades Of Light website for $299.
December 19, 2013 at 8:47pm     
karemore55
Indy, I'm wondering if this coffee table would work for you. It's from West Elm.
December 19, 2013 at 8:53pm     
bubbasgma
Fun tables, Karen!!
December 19, 2013 at 9:16pm     
karemore55
Well, now I'm just playing around lol! Here are some collages showing how your room might look with various combinations of art and pillows. And if you don't like any of them, you will probably at least become sure of what you don't want! And hopefully this will help you decide of keeping the red soda is the way you want to go.
December 19, 2013 at 9:36pm     
bubbasgma
Love the top right! Warm, cozy, modern yet rustic! Beautiful!
December 20, 2013 at 5:36am      Thanked by indycoolchick
indycoolchick
Finally on my laptop so I can respond :) Karen, you're awesome. I love that West Elm table the sales lady showed me one in white which I didn't think would work. The color you posted is gorgeous!! :)
December 20, 2013 at 8:16am   
indycoolchick
I love the top right and bottom left combinations. Blue accents don't work for me be it pictures or pillows. Didn't realize that until looking at the images so thank you for getting me to think about it. The second combination of pillows I really like. The first combination would come in second. None of the odds worked for me.

Found some additional images to share this morning. The third image is just an image I liked without the stripped walls.
December 20, 2013 at 8:21am   
indycoolchick
bubbasgma, warm is what I want. :)
December 20, 2013 at 8:22am   
bubbasgma
We love Karen!!!! She is AWESOME!
December 20, 2013 at 8:41am     
indycoolchick
Funny, this is the image that has been my desktop on my work computer since last Christmas. Just vision red for the couch instead of white/cream.
December 20, 2013 at 10:13am     
karemore55
Yay, we're making progress! And there you go -'that last pic you posted shows that red is definitely a color you love! And the greys and creams definitely make it modern, as well as being easy to work with.

Maybe the place to start is with that coffee table. It seems like it should be your next purchase, before the accents and details.

Also,where are you at with the .expedit bookshelves and whatnot? And did you definitely keep the Porter desk? Because you know I love it - it's a beauty!

You may not end up going with the exact pillows in your first choice series, but I'll post the sources now just so it's on the thread - the first two are from an online pillow and fabric store called tonicliving.com. You might want to take a look at their site because they have a ton of pillow patterns, all modern and right on-trend. So lots of grays for sure. The third pillow, the little lamb wool cutie, is West Elm. Maybe pick that up when you go get that coffee table haha. And the fourth, the knitted cream pillow, is Crate & Barrel.
December 20, 2013 at 10:30am        Thanked by indycoolchick
Decorate me for Christmas!!
Need Décor Ideas for my foyer for Christmas. I love...
Decorating a chandelier 4 Christmas - please help!
I purchased RH's orb in nickel finish (shiny) chandelier...
Help in decorating top of cabinets for Christmas
I just sent this question, now I am adding my pictures....
Need Christmas decorating help
This is my tree. But it needs something. I am tired...
Kitchen Backsplash Help!
Ideas anyone!? I wanted a clean simple gray colored...
LED bulbs in Halo 6" can?
I have purchased some 6" Halo Remodel IC Recessed Light...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Mid-Century ranch needs some curb appeal
Just replaced the roof on our mid-century California-style...
Pros and Cons - Apartments vs. Houses
Have you lived in both an apartment and a house? What...