Help and urgent advice needed please!
momof5xAugust 28, 2013
We had a waterflow issue in one of the bathroom upstairs and it leaked down onto a mesh painted wall-all newly done, new house too!! There are two bubbles showing in the wall held by the mesh and paint ( probably water) , can I pop them with a needle to let the water out, or leave as is so air doesn't get through.. concern about any mold developing. ( newly built house, please advise asap) Very much appreciated and big thanks in advance.
Fred S
I don't understand what the mesh is. Is there sheetrock behind the mesh? Without more information, it is best to get rid of the water as fast as possible.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 12:14AM
Patrick Peyton
Whenever I have a leak in my own home I will poke a hole with a screwdriver at the low point to release the water. If you caught it in time it will probably prevent mold from setting in
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 12:17AM
momof5x
The mesh is what they put on the wall and paint over, leaving the desired design ( striped , pattern , whatever ) on the wall . Hope that helps. I do really appreciate everyone's advice as noone here right now to help out.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 12:24AM
Fred S
Like paintable wallpaper? If you have sheetrock with paper on it, it sounds like water is in the wall, not just behind the finish. You need to see if there is a way to find out. The sheetrock could get soggy and fall apart.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 12:30AM
SAI Contracting
Sounds like you should remove some wall and make sure there is no "growth" These things are not to be taken lightly. Although the toxic mold is rare, any mold can effect sensitive people. Good news is that if recently completed, then can be redone easily.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 12:57AM
momof5x
Fred, It is like a netted wallpaper then painted over in a rough finish. Yes, it is water in the wall as it coming from floor shower above the wall (top floor) There is definitely water inside and it is dripping right now, went up again saw water in floor shower area and coming out from under the shower towards door, cleaned it, and it is back again so now suspecting pipe issue below shower floor :o?

SAI Contracting, I think we can catch it in time as working on the issue, but I am trying to lessen it at least while waiting for house contract people to come. It is a brand newly built home, just done, been in for a month or so now., So thank you for the positive news there, I am working so hard here on my own trying to get rid of the water before it makes things worse, running upstairs and down like a yoyo! I Drying it from wall as much as I can-thus why I need advice . My major concern right now is if it spreads towards bedrooms.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:34AM
Fred S
First, see if you can find the main water shut off and turn it off. Then open all the facets and drain the pipes.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:40AM
Fred S
Probably somewhere near the water heater or in a utility room.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 1:41AM
Fred S
The main water shut off should be right next to the water meter.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 1:46AM
momof5x
will check it out and get back to you on that, are we talking about main water switch for whole house?
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 1:49AM
Fred S
Yes, the main valve. It sounds like you have a small pin hole in the pressurized water line.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 1:51AM
Fred S
Are you on a well?
    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 2:22AM
momof5x
Okay back, been just spending time clearing up the water, no idea where there main is so I will have to wait for people to come and check it out. It seems like water is coming up through tiles from somewhere, also no leaks from ceiling area so doubt it is water heater too otherwise it would drip downwards through ceiling tile gaps. I appreciate al this advice you are giving so thank you.

On a well? sorry, could you explain?
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:57AM
Fred S
Are you on a city water system or a well drilled on your property?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:00AM
rinqreation
Get rid of the damp/water asap. Place a heater in the room and blowdry if possible.

And is it a leak or just a spashy accident?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 4:14AM
Fred S
Can't get rid of water until she slows down long enough to turn the water off. Is there a crawl space the valve might be in? Do you have a water meter and where is it?
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:24AM
rinqreation
Oh, ok, I understand it's a leak.. Closing the water off is step #1 indeed, opening the kitchen tap (or any faucet on the main floor) #2.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:34AM
Fred S
Yeah, the problem is figuring out where to turn off the water. Trying to play 20 questions to figure it out ;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 4:39AM
momof5x
Fred S: City water system, thanks for explaining, just wanted to be sure what you meant. No water meter.

Fred is correct, I have no idea where the source of the water is from, I see the shower floor filling up slowly but enough water to be concern, and I see some water gathering on the floor outside this area too but not idea from where it is coming. No tap leaks, no broken pipes, no leaks from ceilings ( not water heater) no wet water felt on shower walls- I have just felt them, it seems to be coming up from somewhere. The shower does not have anywhere to turn off water either.

I have been up there all morning figuring out this one even been outside on roof, nothing there. I will be back soon as I have to check something else out. New house trying to figure out things.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:13AM
Fred S
I'm guessing you are someplace like Texas and are on a slab foundation since you mentioned the water heater in the attic. The water comes in underground and should have a shut off as soon as it comes up through the floor. It will probably be on the end of the house where the plumbing is. Perhaps in a closet on the lowest floor under the water heater or under the kitchen sink?
    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 5:21AM
rinqreation
Every house must have a main valve somewhere. Wish you luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 5:22AM
Fred S
It will probably be on a pipe that is bigger than the others.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 5:24AM
fredm51
It may be nice to call a plumber 2 shut off the water and tell her where to look for the leak. The house is new so fixing it should be covered. Or she could ask the people next door where the shutoff is. But the water will do a lot of damage in 8 hours.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 7:05AM
Dana Pope Designs
I would call your insurance agent that you have your homeowner's with. We had a similar problem a few months ago and they sent someone out immediately to start the remediation. They then took the necessary steps to dry everything out.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 7:09AM
soberg
Definitely release the water and mop up with towels. Move in all your box and table fans and get the air moving in there like a jet engine. Don't be afraid to spend a few hours blowing a hairdryer on HIGH into the affected area. Water is the most damaging substance in a house.

With your other hand, call the contractor (Yelp ***** only) who is going to come and diagnose and fix this.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 7:33AM
momof5x
Okay back everyone, found the switch off tap for that section ( the one that switches off that area than whole house), one of the house contractors came to check it out, he has no idea what is happening either, so he is coming back after tomorrow with someone who will know. I will let you all know, the stair wall might just be okay now, I managed to get the logging released. Of course, they may well open the water again but I hope not. Since that particular bathroom is not being used often, it can stay off until I know for sure what is going on. You are all angels for helping me so big thanks.

Regarding drying up walls, ( ones that are outside bathroom just above the skirting board), the a/c is open would that be enough to dry it out? Tired out sheesh, with all that drying up!
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:01AM
Fred S
You should probably have a fan blowing the air around at least. It is the inside of the walls and whatever is below that bath that concerns me most. Water can get everywhere and cause damage. Luckily it is new enough that the contractor should take care of it. Just make sure they check out the rest of the house for damages and not just assume it stayed where you can see it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 9:12AM
momof5x
Thank you so much Fred S for that important piece of info, will certainly make sure they check it all thoroughly-I have the same concern too, good the house is still under them for another year. During that time , they have to fix anything that might not have been done properly.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 11:27AM
fredm51
Make sure to run you AC a little colder than normal, it will reduce the humidity in the house and help it dry out. Any insulation that got wet should be replaced and putting a hole where the water was unless you can get to the other side would be good.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 29, 2013 at 5:14PM
momof5x
Hello, well just been upstairs again to check how things are, still water even though it has been turned off , either residue in wall ( which I am doubting ) and we do have central a/c so wondering if the room connecting could be leaking ( the ducts in wall) into the connecting wall of the shower area downwards, with a/c water ( although everything is new) usually water from a/c pour down the front but I know it can happen like this too.

A/c are very cold with being new, but may switch this off just to test it and open fans. The two bubbles in wall I have emptied ( not much damage so far but could be seen later) another two smaller ones ( on stair wall) have appeared also same wall of a/c so just maybe it is that. The other thing that makes me think now about a/c is that rather than front it could be leaking from the back ( exactly where stairs are located and in the specific direction [ width of central/ac] downwards.)

My mind is working overtime! I am still drying up just to keep the damage to a minimal.
    Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:58PM
fredm51
There is a drain line for the ac that drains to the outside. If the drain becomes clogged than there is a catch pan to drain to the outside. Check the catch pan for signs of water, there should be none. Check the copper lines to the outside unit for ice. If you do see some your unit is low on refrigerant have the AC company charge it. Since this is new it should not leak again if it does there is a leak. Make sure you filter is clean in furance. AC companies hate leaks it is time consuming to find and most of the time they loss money on it. Inside the vents should never have water they are insulated or wraped so the water should only go out the drain.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 30, 2013 at 9:00AM
fredm51
I did have a problem at my house where they did not finish the drain line and would only leak water in the summer. Also some ac's have a pump to pump it to the outside and that may have a kink in the line. I would continue to have the plumber check the lines and check the ac because you have to find the problem.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    August 30, 2013 at 9:07AM
momof5x
Thanks Fredm51, This morning it was slightly wet still, but yesterday water was switched off, today I turned off a/c and now no water leaking ,fans are open. Now it is a matter of finding out which is the cause, house contract people come tomorrow morning. I will let everyone know what they say. The small loggings of water on the stair walls have gone and dried up ( hopefully) let the water out a little and sun shone through window too. Now that I don't see the water continuing , I am a little more relaxed!
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 11:58AM
momof5x
My suspicions about the a/c may be right. Maintenance people came, looks like some work that was done under the sink pierced an hole in the piping of the central a/c.. that what they have said so far.. it is a wait and see situation to see if it doesn't happen again to confirm that. Thank you all very much!
    Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 9:09AM
Genevieve
You said that the home is new ,then its still under warranty, call your builder and have it repaired ,they will cut that piece out and fix it for you . Yes let the water out and place a bucket on the floor under that spot to collect the water.

Good I just read your note above ,glad that its fixed:)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by momof5x    September 8, 2013 at 9:15AM
momof5x
Hi Genevieve, thank you :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:09AM
Genevieve
Hi momof5x , you are welcome:)
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:26AM
Exterior color - urgent advice required!
We are building a new home in Canterbury, Victoria,...
cathiej6
Urgent reply please- which of these curtains go with these wall colours?
There are four shades of background colours for the...
momof5x
Need help. I need to chose a type of floor urgently
Hi, I would like to have a few suggestion regarding...
Jorge Santa
Small bathroom & needed advice...urgent
I have a small (only one in the house) bathroom 5'6"x7'6" I...
elisabethk
Urgently need kitchen advice
I am changing kitchen cabinets and don't know what...
tp101
Need Help for my Living room
I bought ashley platinum sofa set consist of 3+2+2...
pity30002000
I need help with my living room!
Here are my issues: - recently renovated and now have...
notroh80
Seeking opinion on using glass wave tile on wall behind stove
This 3d wave tile appears to have no room for grout....
willietwo
Feed back on area rug
Does this rug work with my colors?
nduthu
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster