Exterior Paint / Entry Door Colour
Christine Lyons
August 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm looking for exterior paint colour suggestions for an old workers cottage that has had a modern two-storey addition built in back. The addition will have black steel cladding. The black colour you see on the original structure now is protector/primer. The red you see around the windows is just the tape for the protective plastic. The window frames of both the original structure and the clerestory windows of the addition (that you see peeking over above) are painted 'Iron Ore' (a very dark grey). I would also appreciate your thoughts for an exterior door colour.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
nimiialla
if the back is going to be modern with a black steel cladding, perhaps a light warm grey/cream color for the brick house. Something along the lines of the color of the stone in this picture. With that color and the black cladding, maybe a black door as well. If you aren't going to have a whole lot of wood elements on the exterior, maybe a nice natural stain color for the door.
August 29, 2013 at 7:53AM   
Christine Lyons
So, if I were to go with grey...you think on the lighter side? The back of the house is the black siding and 16' of sapele wood/glass lift & slides (stained re mahogany). They won't be seen with the front but wondering if I should reference them in the front entry door because both will be seen from the inside of the house.
August 29, 2013 at 9:45AM   
nimiialla
It might be really nice to reference them in the front entry because both will be seen from inside. I really like it when there is continuity within the exterior and interior. It sounds like it's all going to be so beautiful when you're done, I wish I were putting a nice modern addition on!

Here are some examples of what it might feel like if you went with a darker color and then the last picture shows some lightly painted brick. I think lighter and darker colors both look great. What really counts is what you like so that you can be proud and happy with your final product.
August 29, 2013 at 9:58AM