RTA Kitchen Cabinets .. Input?
Theresa Joy
We just moved into a 203 year old Heritage home. Many renovations. One of my main goals Is to increase the resale value and appeal of the home In case we ever have to sell. I want to have a very nice kitchen.
Home Depot etc. is too expensive and poor quality. We have a good quote on custom cabinets, but I found an amazing RTA website here on Houzz that currently seems like the best route to take.
http://www.lilyanncabinets.com/1_2_524/cabinets/birch/york-antique-white.html

The cabinets are gorgeous, high-quality and my husband and I are more than capable of installing, we are no professionals but hes a handy man .. It is just hard for me to conceive that the price is so low ($4,500 total) 'if something seems too good to be true it must be' .. I've heard nothing other than positive feedback about this company and their cabinets ...

Of course there's always the added worry that we will somehow botch the order of things won't add up as far as cabinets in space ...

Would the cabinets somehow visually look 'cheaper' than custom cabinets?

Advice?
Sustainable Dwellings
Teresa; please post pics of the current kitchen for us.
August 29, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Judy M
You could order a cabinet just to see the quality in person.
You could always hang it in basement or garage for storage.
August 29, 2013 at 8:36AM      Thanked by Theresa Joy
Theresa Joy
My kitchen (entire house) Is currently gutted ... Really gutted :)
August 29, 2013 at 8:47AM   
Theresa Joy
Home Depot came to the house. Measured And gave us this layout. So we have their measurements ..
August 29, 2013 at 8:50AM   
Theresa Joy
..
August 29, 2013 at 8:51AM   
catieb
compare "specs" of the home depot to the lilyann: what materials are used? how are they assembled? are there extra braces/biscuits anywhere? how do they install? do either of these have subtops? what is the finish? what is the warranty? who makes hinge/quality? all soft-close?

all things being equal, then go for the more affordable. home depot has different levels of quality in their cabinets - you'll want to compare apples to apples.

re: "custom" versus using modular boxes - there is no simple answer. if you buy the cheapest prefab box off the shelf somewhere...it will look cheap! but you can add details to modular systems and end up with a high-end look like a totally custom kitchen. with the modular you will have filler pieces that finish a run or allow you to turn a corner or be able to open a door in the adjoining run.

in our area, there are "custom cabinets" but they are all built with plywood, stained and finished with a high gloss b/c there is a mindset that this looks great. I don't care for it.

I've actually used home depot cabinets recently and while they were expensive, we've achieved great things for each homeowner and customized them to work within their alotted space. There are other modular systems to consider, you might see if you can find additional suppliers in your area.

BTW: are you going to leave your timber framing exposed?

Do you want crown molding at the top of your cabinets?

What are you doing about pantry space?
August 29, 2013 at 9:57AM   
Considering RTA Kitchen Cabinets
After quotes from Home Depot and custom cabinets we...
My NEW RTA Kitchen Cabinets
Hey Friends We did excellent NEW RTA Kitchen Cabinets...
Skeletons in my attic
I hired an electrician to update some old dim lighting...
"PRO" PAINTER WOES
Fellow houzzers, please give me examples of common...
Need help with entry design
My husband and I have been debating on what to do with...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...
want to buy....
i live in Ireland.... do you ship to ireland?