Need help with my living room!
clencki621
Hello all! I am new to this website. I am moving into an apartment this weekend and i am so excited but i am having trouble envisioning how i want my living room. I am thinking of getting this sectional from raymour in the mocha color http://www.raymourflanigan.com/kathy-ireland-home-wellsley-2pc-microfiber-sectional-sofa-299228051.aspx. my walls are white and the floor is wood. what color pillows, rug, etc would you suggest? My bf wants to break up the brown and throw in some colors. I am so bad at this! if anyone could send me links with decorative items that will go i would really appreciate it! i am planning on buying an espresso colored coffee and end table set to match the sectional legs. thanks!!!
clencki621
this is the living room while it was being worked on. sorry dont have better pics. help please!!
August 29, 2013 at 11:05am     
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
It does seem like you need some pops of color to liven up the space! The colors you use, though, are dependent upon your and your boyfriend's personal preferences! So first things first: what do you like?

For example: are you wanting to bring more warmth into the room, or are you wanting the room to feel more "cool"? If you're going for warm tones, red, oranges, and tans are great color options. For cool tones, blues, greens, yellows, and greys are great.
August 29, 2013 at 11:08am   
clencki621
i am thinking more warmth. what do you think of the sectional? i really want to make it cozy and nice i just need help! lol
August 29, 2013 at 11:10am   
carolins
Don't buy a coffee/end table set. That is soooo boring ;-)
Measure, measure and then measure again, how the sectional will fit in your space. Use loo roll or masking tape to tape the outline on the floor and see how much space it takes up.

Colours that go nicely with brown/beige:
- more brown/beige, but think different textures and patterns
- turquoise
- teal
- blue
- red
- orange
- black/white (like a zebra print for example)
- grey

Seahound Ranch
Mill Valley, CA
Red Study
The Rocky Mountain at Velvendo | Phoenix, AZ
Bay Front Summer Home
Furnace Street Riverfront
August 29, 2013 at 11:15am        Thanked by clencki621
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Carolins makes some great points (like usual)! The outline of your sectional will really help you visualize the layout of your living room.

As for your sectional, its a great neutral color that will pair well with many warm color schemes! Its versatility will make designing your room that much easier. It also looks very comfortable with its microfiber fabric.

Below are some warm-toned color palettes to help inspire you (clicking on them will pull up a bigger image):
August 29, 2013 at 11:31am        Thanked by clencki621
clencki621
thank you so much! i like the reds and oranges, maybe even some gold? if you guys could send me any throw pillows or rugs i could order thatd be great! what is your opinion on accent furniture? i really appreciate all the help!!
August 29, 2013 at 11:36am     
carolins
@ B.L. Rieke, thank you. You should see my smile, from earlobe to earlobe :-)
August 29, 2013 at 11:42am     
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Clencki, I'll look for a couple of options for you. In the meantime, a good place to look is on Houzz using the Search bar with the drop-down menu set to "Products"--it's a great search tool! Pinterest is also a good search tool, but sometimes the "pins" don't link up to the product page.

Also, a rug might necessary (for comfort reasons) due to your hardwood floors.

Accent furniture is great, but only if you have plenty of room for it. For everyone to help you, we might need the dimensions of your living room to assess this. Sometimes, a few accessories in accent colors are the best options! Something funky would really 'pop'! If you do have room, a red or orange ottoman would be fun. Carolins should also have some ideas for accent furniture.

Carolins, you're very welcome! Your reputation precedes you. :)
August 29, 2013 at 12:08pm        Thanked by clencki621
clencki621
thank you thank you thank you!! i believe the room is 15 x 13.
August 29, 2013 at 12:10pm   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
August 29, 2013 at 12:32pm      Thanked by clencki621
carolins
Just take your time, shop around, find things that you absolutely love.
You can start ideabooks here on Houzz and if you browse the photo section, you can add rooms to your ideabook that you like the look of. See what appeals to you. It will help you form an idea of what you'd love your home to look like.

Coffee and side table ideas, some rugs... Just to give you ideas:
Solid Chunky Reclaimed Elm Wood Large Coffee Table
Radcliffe Accent Table
Dynamic Rugs Eclipse 63205-6333 3'11" x 5'7" Multi, Silver Rug
Lynx 8' x 10' Rug
August 29, 2013 at 1:25pm        Thanked by clencki621
Pendant light
I'm looking for a pendant light to hang over the table....
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Updating 1970s Tudor exterior- How to change for more visual interest?
HELP! How would you redesign the facade of this 1970's...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
Help arranging furniture in living room
Hi, I can't decide what's the best furniture arrangement...