Exterior paint color help!
Kim Costello
Our house now is faded old aluminum siding, it's still in great shape so we are going to paint instead. Was thinking maybe an olive/khaki green, but not sure. I would appreciate any ideas for house and trim colors.
Marilyn Wilkie
I really like the colors in the picture. Is that your home? We will be using green for our recently purchased home. I have saved some of the exterior colors that we like in an idea book here on Houzz.
August 29, 2013 at 3:29PM     
cecnolan
I really like the green so I'd keep it, maybe adjusting the shade slightly. I'd consider substituting a red-brown for the creamy trim. That would contrast nicely with the white windows. I've seen this color combination on tons of houses online, even on sherwin-williams.com, if I remember correctly.
August 29, 2013 at 5:18PM   
Laura Gale
Perhaps the trim with a fresh white and the house color in a light blue, with a nice wood door, or even a red front door for a pop of color?
August 29, 2013 at 11:08PM   
Marilyn Wilkie
This combination looks fresh.
]
August 30, 2013 at 3:46AM     
Rina
I wouldn't like Dr Freud to know, but what I'm seeing on your door is a painting of one person gently kissing another person on the ear. The one in front is wearing sunglasses and looks a bit cross. Please tell me they're there ....

Aside from which, another colour that you could consider is a gentle, creamy yellow -- something like what I'm seeing in the trim on your top window. (Nobody up there, you'll be glad to know.) White or off-white trim.
http://www.parkerarchitects.ca/the-village-niagara-on-the-lake/
August 30, 2013 at 6:10AM   
A Crew of Two
Love these pics for exteriors. The white trim is white really makes these colors pop. James Hardie Kelley Gardner
August 30, 2013 at 7:22AM   
Kim Costello
The color from a distance doesn't look bad, but up close it's bad. The other color was actually yellow that has faded through the years. We bought the house this way and have hated it ever since. Thank you for the ideas!
August 30, 2013 at 7:51AM   
Rina
Wow! I'm amazed that yellow can fade in that way. I guess it depends on the paint used. It seems to me that so many colours can be used on these enchanting houses -- I mean the style. I have a suggestion: dream yourself into a colour. If you can imagine the loveliest house of this style, the one that would make you really happy, go for that. I rather envy you as it's not a style of house we have in my country, and I love it.
August 30, 2013 at 9:05AM   
A Crew of Two
Yellow is also more likely to mold/fungus.....not sure why. When I worked for a builder if a customer wanted a yellow house he made them sign a waiver.
August 30, 2013 at 10:29AM   
Rina
That is so interesting. Thanks for the information, Crew. I know yellow attracts insects. I recently had to empty a yellow bucket half full of water in which several bees had committed suicide. It was very upsetting. And I've previously had beetles, etc, end up in yellow buckets.
August 30, 2013 at 10:47AM   
timspets
Our houes was also an ugly faded yellow aluminm, we decided to go with pale blue with white trim. Still happy with the choice. Now for the advice all paint is going to fade over the years, if you aren't thrilled with the idea of a second paint job down the road, the lighter the better it will last. Good luck.
August 30, 2013 at 10:48AM   
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Kim....Look at BM Normandy for the body and BM White Dove for the trim, you have a lovely home.
September 2, 2013 at 4:32PM   
Need help with wall color to go with my travertine floor
I'm renovating my master bath and having hard time...
Help - Impossible Living Room Layout!
Hello, I'm moving into a small condo in a few weeks...
Double-wide Design Issues
We have a new double-wide that comes with all the furniture,...
INTERIOR PAINT PREP
DOES A PRO PAINTER COME TO THE JOB WITH THE FOLLOWING:...