How can I decorate my living room?
ana_en
I don't know what to do here. I know I need accesories, a rug, some color on the walls and plants. But I really don't have a clue, help!
Kim Walton
Rug would be great but it would need to be pretty large and overall, pretty light. Try two comfy patterned chairs in front of the window and a small painted furniture piece on the wall to the left of the window (not on the window wall) with 1 colorful art piece above it. Replace the curtains with something more casual--maybe some linen panels. Love the bar stools and your pillows!
   August 29, 2013 at 5:38PM
taramomx3
A blank space can be intimidating, but you have a great space with which to work; the floors are beautiful and those windows look as though they'll give you plenty of light.
A few questions:
1. Are you married to those curtains? If not, I'd swap those out with some beautiful patterned window treatments. Once you select the fabric for those, you can select coordinating fabrics for cushions/pillows.
2. Want to keep those curtains? Remove the sheers and let the light in. You could also add some trim to those curtains for some added texture and/or color.
3. When you look at home pictures, what do you love? Do you like a mismatched look, clean lines, pattern, etc? That will help you decide where to go. Your furniture looks good and solid, so I'm sure you can layer and add onto it to make the space reflect what you like.
4. A rug would then reflect the space. Do you like traditional florals or are you into the graphic flat weaves that are really popular right now?
5. Finally,do you have a favorite color? Do you want the color scheme of this room to flow with the other spaces within your home?
We are halfway through our Reno and I started out knowing I wanted a gray color palette throughout the house, with different accent colors in each room, but with a nice flow. So, when I sit in the family room I have a complimentary color palette on all the walls which layer onto each other. Maybe you want to consider this, too? When you look at this space from another room, what would you like to see?
   August 29, 2013 at 5:43PM
Dorota Mitoraj
Just a few ideas from domirugs.com collection.
   August 29, 2013 at 5:44PM
abbyjean
Even though the sectional FITS on the wall where you have it, I am not sure it is in the right place. The chaise part does not seem right with the window. I would turn it so it faces the entrance to the room and the chaise would be by the sliding doors. Can the back be centered with that window? Let the panels hang STRAIGHT and not draped back. I would use the ottoman in the room and not the coffee table currently there......will it work in another room? Get more red pillows for the couch and maybe a red throw, too. Put a tray on top of the ottoman. Put a couple of patterned chairs on the wall to the left of the sliding doors, facing the sectional OR put a console table with some art over it on that wall.
   August 29, 2013 at 7:43PM
Remove the valances and loosen your drapery panels to fall straight, hanging them past the actual door itself. Do you plan to have TV here? I would get a light but colorful patterned rug about 18" smaller than the floor area of this room, plop it dead center with the floor exposed all around it. Float the sectional on it with its back to the step-up to the other level, or you can push the chaise part against the wall. It will be facing the large sliders and you can wall mount a TV on the wall left of the sliders above a nice painted credenza for a pop of color. You can probably find a buffet at a second hand store to paint, maybe cut off the legs if you want it to be a lower credenza. Then add pillows that pick up the rug colors and one small accent chair in the right hand corner.
   August 29, 2013 at 8:46PM
Brooke Strong
I agree with decoenthusiaste...IF you want to keep the drapes instead of change them out for a nice pattern or textured fabric, hang them wider and straight down. I would get new curtain rods, hang them higher & wider then get longer drapes with some pattern (but subtle) and that in itself will make a huge difference. Also a rug, but first you need to decide on a color palate
   August 29, 2013 at 9:12PM
Brooke Strong
I had very limited options/tools, but what about some small changes like this (and drapes)?
A few options
   August 29, 2013 at 9:44PM
sellaginella
Ideas for simple cottage living or sleek family room.
   August 29, 2013 at 10:52PM
collettec
I would start by doing some shopping and finding either art or a rug that you like as a base for both the color and style that you want to choose for the room. I think you have good basics to work with. I agree with Kim Walton about layout - I think two chairs opposite near the window would work well with something like a table or console to the side. I like the color of your drapes, but they seem a bit lightweight and don't think the valances work with them.
Have included some examples of rugs, one more like the drape color and one more like your pillows.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rug-Collective-Handmade-Ikat-Natural-Jute-Rug-8-x-10/8084252/product.html
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/7x9-10x14-Rugs/Orange,/color,/608/subcat.html?sort=Top+Sellers&searchtype=Header#Home-Garden/Hand-Tufted-Modern-Waves-Orange-Polyester-Rug-8-x-10/7123666/product.html?recset=e048b7a5-3d9b-4989-9f89-8a007b5fd828&refccid=ZWBKWETMDCUKZASHLEOGCIM6MI&recidx=0&recalg=62&searchidx=0
   August 30, 2013 at 7:30AM
Gina Perillo
If you are considering adding some art to your walls I have a variety of pieces available ~ I also offer custom paintings. Cheers !
https://www.etsy.com/shop/gperillo
   August 30, 2013 at 12:53PM
wainscoting up staircase?
i want to add wanscoting panels up a staircase that...
Need help with the center island countertop
I have emrald green (blackish green) granite countertop...
Kitchen nook help
Just got my cushions and pillows for my new nook. Need...
Can I have white trim and natural solid wood doors?
I have brown trim and solid knotty alder wood doors...
Need help with my living room
I am trying to redecorate my living room and buy a...