jkearns
November 15, 2011 in Photo Questions
what is the benefit of a linear drain? is it more difficult to install?
bepsf
A linear drain allows the use of large format tiles for a shower floor rather than small/mosaic tiles.
It also can be used at the entrance of a shower or along a back wall rather than somewhere in the middle, making sloping for drainage simpler.
November 15, 2011 at 5:55AM   
jkearns
thank you. where does one find this drain? jane
November 15, 2011 at 10:28AM   
November 15, 2011 at 12:00PM   
Angie Sowah - Regan
Or at Daltile products name is Schluter Systems- www.schluter.com. There are three different profiles to pick from.
November 15, 2011 at 12:07PM   
traciel
If you are doing a bathroom renovation down to the studs, is it harder to install a linear drain?
November 15, 2011 at 12:23PM   
Angie Sowah - Regan
No it's easier!
November 15, 2011 at 3:50PM   
jkearns
thank you for your help and comments jane
November 17, 2011 at 1:14PM   
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
That drain is not from Quick Drain USA. That is a tile top point drain most likely from My Shower Grate Shop, Luxe or Infinity. Care needs to be taken in tiling these drains as a tile tope point drain does not have the water flow rate that a linear drain has.

We have installed dozens of these tile top drains and are currently working on a solution to an air lock issue.

Schluter does not make a tile top drain.

For more infomation on linear drains please visit my blog site at www.no-curb.com
January 29, 2012 at 5:19PM     
LUXE Linear Drains, LLC
For more info please visit our website: http://www.platinumstainlesssteel.com/
Our drains are also available through Daltile (Vendor ID 385877). You can also buy this drain from Amazon.com
July 13, 2012 at 3:01PM   
Angie Sowah - Regan
No thanks
July 14, 2012 at 12:14AM   
John Whipple - By Any Design ltd.
Installing a linear drain is not easier than installing a regular point drain. I have installed well over Thirty Linear drains and can tell you from first hand experience they are in fact not easier or faster to install at all.

Sometimes a linear drain doesn't even work. Sometimes it's the only way to go.

Every shower, tile choice, sub floor make up and so on will dictate the best method of shower construction. To randomly say it's easier is to short sighted. There is much more to the equation.

When choosing a tile top point drain (like the one shown above) make sure the manufacture can ensure you of the flow rates. If have had two air locks from the drain shown above. An air lock is when you turn the shower on and the drain does not drain. These air locks are happening with even low flow rates. The drain above air locked on me with under 5 gallons per minute and that was with a 2" outlet and 2" PTrap and drain line.

When designing any shower drain you need at least 3/4" from the the top of the drain to the finished floor (outside the shower) for a certain level of safety.

Currently I'm testing the new square tile insert drain from Laticrete and My Shower Grate Shop for flow rates. These two drains are a different design from the older My Shower Grate Shop drains and the Luxe drains.

I'll post my findings on my blog site. http://www.no-curb.com

John Whipple
By Any Design Ltd.
info@byanydesign.com
July 14, 2012 at 8:42AM   
StoneMar Natural Stone Company LLC
We have many customers who completely love the look and practicality of the linear drain, but like John said, it depends per case whether the application is a good solution. The modern look, large tiles, cleanability, and updated feel are reasons that our customers are now choosing this option more than ever. Good luck with your project!
July 14, 2012 at 9:52AM   
Infinity Drain
Infinity Drain's Tile Drain features a 4" throat that remedies the air lock problem. The complete kit comes with the clamping drain body connecting to either a 2" or 3" waste line. Tile Drain models come in a 5" square (TD 15) or 8" square (TD 20). Both are available in a standard clamping drain installation (TD Series) or a bonded flange installation to be used with liquid membrane or fabric waterproofing (TDB Series). Thanks! http://infinitydrain.com/products.html?view=products&category_id=243
July 18, 2012 at 12:18PM   
World Contracting LLC
Here is a our most recent Infinity tile drain in a curb-less installation out in Denville, NJ... can you even see the drain?

January 12, 2013 at 5:27AM     
Too matchy?
Started the nursery with the rug and black crib and...
Need help for my basement flooring.
I am considering Quick Step Wenge. My room is 34 ft...
Garden storage / cover ideas
We've just brought our first house ( hooray ). I...
Add a second floor or move?
My wife and I are starting to think about moving vs....
Help needed with room wall space.
We purchased a new townhouse a few months back. Now...