Bath Help - Incorporate Avocado Green Tile in Colorful Update
Elizabeth Lockley
My house was built in 1975. There was plenty of Avocado Green in it when I started personalizing it to my tastes. The upstairs bath has avocado green tile floor and tub surround. The tile is in great shape and I don't really intend on replacing it. I had a condo about 20 years ago that a previous owner had painted the bathroom tiles dark brown. It was peeling terribly when I bought it and I stripped the remaining paint off. So I don't really want to paint the tile and I'm not removing it and replacing it. My kids are outgrowing the rubber duck accessories I bought 9 years ago. I'm not afraid of color, but I really want to keep this a sledge hammer and contractor free DIY project.

The bath is the primary bath for 13 and 9 year old boys, so it shouldn't be babyish or overly feminine. It should also be easy to clean and easy for them to keep clean. I have a budget of less than $1000 for this project. All structures are in good shape. The tub is white - which doesn't show in any of the pictures.

When I tackle a home improvement project, I get a unified theme and picture in my head and run with it. That just isn't happening with this room! The house is a cape cod with a colorful eclectic coastal cottage look. It's not rustic, though. It's comfortable and collected. I would like to carry that into the bath. I used the duck stuff which I bought for a different house when we moved in 7 years ago, but the only updates since have been the shelves and baskets to corral bath stuff (much of it mine) and the addition of yellow and orange towels.

Incidentally, green is my favorite color and I'm really not scared of color. The den is vivid lemon yellow. The kitchen is lime green, my office is about the same orange as the towels in the bathroom. My sons' room flank the bath and are sky (UNC) blue and turquoise with a chocolate brown accent wall. The hall has dark oak floors and contractor's beige paint. It will be painted, eventually, but probably a neutral color to tie the riot of colors which it connects together.

Thanks for your help!
Elizabeth Lockley
Hmm. It took only 2 of my pictures. The bath is too small to get good all inclusive pictures.
August 30, 2013 at 4:50AM   
0825sam
I'm glad you said you have turquoise in an adjoining room because that was the color I was thinking to add here. This is a kitchen but just for color combo.

August 30, 2013 at 4:55AM      Thanked by Elizabeth Lockley
0825sam
I like the mix with the light wood in that photo - think about replacing the curtain with a woven shade and a new mirror

August 30, 2013 at 4:57AM        Thanked by Elizabeth Lockley
0825sam
Idea for wall color

August 30, 2013 at 5:00AM        Thanked by Elizabeth Lockley
0825sam
If you have a cottage look maybe you can add white wainscot or beadboard to get an effect like the above photo - and it would break up the transition between wall color and tiles
August 30, 2013 at 5:02AM        Thanked by Elizabeth Lockley
handymam
Great ideas, sam. I too think that the introduction of blue will go nicely with the green (which I do not think looks all that bad!) Love the beadboard idea for here too.It's kind of like pulling the colors from the curtain you have (only more so), but not using that curtain anymore. A new runner rug to replace the ducks would be my first move, lol.
August 30, 2013 at 5:08AM   
Elizabeth Lockley
I hadn't thought of turquoise. I love the beadboard idea and was thinking of that as an option to cottage it up, some. How hard is it to install? Paint it to match the tile or leave it white? The kitchen picture above is actually very similar to my kitchen with the light woods and that shade of green, but instead of turquoise, it's a very true blue and more cottagey. I was thinking about framing the mirror to deal with the 70sness of it.
August 30, 2013 at 5:11AM     
Elizabeth Lockley
Also, the curtain is as good as gone. It's actually a shower curtain I bought for the other house to tie the ducks into a basic spec bathroom. This house has glass doors in the bathtub. The shower curtain brought in the blue and made things less babyish with the ducks when the boys were little. I'm not wild about the shower doors, truth-be-told. Ditch it or keep it?
August 30, 2013 at 5:20AM     
handymam
If there is nothing wrong with them, I would keep them if you don't have the budget to replace them.
August 30, 2013 at 5:25AM   
0825sam
I'm glad you like the ideas :) I would keep the beadboard white if it were me.
August 30, 2013 at 5:34AM     
cathieg
That 70's avocado green actually looks ok, and the tiles are trendy again. I think your idea of framing the mirror is good and I also like the white beadboard suggestion. I think with a mid green floor maybe you should go with a light shade of the same green for the paint colour, you could bring in the teal, or other colour as an accent colour. The paint colour in this photo is not the correct shade to use, but I like this look for your room.

August 30, 2013 at 6:38AM        Thanked by Elizabeth Lockley
Elizabeth Lockley
Great solutions all! Let me recover from the new siding, and minor kitchen facelift I'm working on this month and probably October and this bathroom will be my next project. I'm a little intimidated with the precision cutting necessary to install the bead board.

That's really ironic because back when, as I striped the paint off the tiles in my first real estate purchase, I also had to fix a hole in the plaster above the shower. I was in my early 20s. My dad walked in as I was plastering and his jaw hit the floor. He asked where I learned to do that. I very truthfully said "I watch This Old House!" Why does a little beadboard and trim molding scare me?

The green in the bathroom is very gray. It has far less yellow in it than is popular, currently. I'm not 100% sure that turquoise would work in there, but its worth buying a paint sample.
August 30, 2013 at 8:20PM     
cathieg
Very funny story about your Dad. My Dad was a painter and decorator and expected me to be somehow genetically gifted in this area, but the first time he saw me undertake a DIY project he reacted like your dad too. Keep us updated on the progress.
September 1, 2013 at 7:47AM   
adhp
I love the green tiles!! This color is definitely coming back in. I have selected a very similar avocado-y gray for my new home. I think a gray or a gray-blue would look lovely. So glad you are keeping the tile in place!
September 1, 2013 at 8:17AM   
Avocado green bathtub & bathtub tile, yellowish/green floor tile
Have a bathroom with yellowish/green square tiles....
What bedroom color would flow with a mossy-avocado green living room?
I was sort of thinking dark slate grey with blue/ green...
Incorporating fossil fish into updated master bath
Project goal was to update track home master bath without...
Help with redesigning a small 1970's green tile master bath
Sorry no photos. The bathroom is stuck in the 70's...
need help updating a master bath wall tiles without tearing out
Want to update without taking down wall tiles. Did...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Backsplash patterns?
Where can I find a backsplash pattern that randomly...
Quality of Apt 2b Fillmore sofa?
Moving into a new apt soon. Liking the look of the...
Help! I made a BIG mistake!
Hi, Since purchasing my new leather couch, I now have...
Front path Lighting
Due to a soccer ball incident, this lamppost is broken....