Need help
maria_scazzero
1. I am moving into a studio for the first time i
am not sure what colors to use for my bedroom wall?
2. Also what can i use to divide my bedroom
And living room?
3.i have a green- ever green love seat already i am having trouble deciding colors for my bedroom and theme for my apt
4. I like simple but bold.
Modern contemporary
anne dee
not yr colors but these are ideas for dividing the sleeping area from the rest of the space
Full View
Glenwood Residence
How about using a chaise as a bed it will keep the space open ( I can't confirm the comfort for sleep)
von hagel
August 30, 2013 at 9:25AM     
Debp
If you put your bedroom by the windows, you could separate from the living area with an open back shelving unit. That way the light can pass through. You could use baskets or boxes on the lower shelves for storage and place colored larger objects on the upper. Don't pack the top shelves full - let the light in. This will create another "wall".
August 30, 2013 at 9:37AM     
Debp
A small buffet with a great mirror or piece of art over it could add more storage in the foyer. That will leave you an open area for living. Place your love seat first and that will show you what room you have left for a comfy chair, tables, etc. If you post some pictures of the actual area once you are moved in, it will give a better perspective and I am sure you will get lots of suggestions.
August 30, 2013 at 9:45AM     
Whitney Stone
To tackle your first problem, I have a layout for your bedroom/ living room. You don't want your bed visible for right when you walk in the place so I suggest using a bookcase like the one I have attached. It's from Design Within Reach but it's a pretty common modern piece nowadays and I'm sure you can find a cheaper one anywhere else (like IKEA). It can serve as a good separation as well as fun decor. I'm not sure how big your space is for your bedroom/living room, but if you have room, I suggest also adding a bench for the end of your bed or a lounge chair next to your bed for added storage, plus it makes the space look more put together (but only if you have the space).

For your color scheme, don't be scared to choose that evergreen. I would probably just use it as an accent wall on the back wall behind your bed with the big window. It will give it a fun pop of color but not be overwhelming. For the colors throughout your apartment, I would use colors such as off-white, beige, or even gray neutrals. Gray might be fun for your modern edge and really make your decor pop. Hope that helps!
August 30, 2013 at 10:02AM     
maria_scazzero
Whitney my window is two windos side by side? Your saying put ever green there on that wall.

I will upload pics of all of my rooms definitely . I. Dont want my bedroom to show at all. Book case is a great idea.i have to put carpet down in my apartment what would you suggest . For lounge chairs would you suggest what color next to the couch
August 30, 2013 at 12:37PM   
maria_scazzero
Kitchen and the two windows
Which is where my bed would
Go,bathroom
August 30, 2013 at 3:27PM   
Whitney Stone
Do you already have a couch? If so, you might want to match according to your couch. But other than that I would go with either white, black or a fun color might be a bright blue/teal for the lounge chairs. Below is just an idea of a lounge chair, something small but also comfy. As far as carpet goes, I would avoid putting carpet in, it looks like you have some good hardwood or laminate in there and carpet makes the space look smaller. I would, however, add an area rug in the living space to visually separate the areas. If you still insist carpet, I would go with a level loop or patterned carpet in a neutral color such as off-white or a gray. Stick to light colors with the walls and flooring and it will open the space up more than dark colors.

A side note, it's going to be hard to close off your bedroom 100% without making the space look absolutely tiny. But I think the bookcase will give you enough privacy if centered on your bed and you can also think about a small room divider for extra privacy when need be.

Oh, and for the bathroom, I would paint it a strong concrete gray and play it up with a fun shower curtain.
August 30, 2013 at 4:10PM     
maria_scazzero
I have a loveseat and i have to put an area rug down building policy? Should i use curtains or a divider to separate living from dining room. Do i do the area by the window green?
August 30, 2013 at 5:32PM   
maria_scazzero
The couch is a evergreen dark
August 30, 2013 at 5:33PM   
maria_scazzero
What is a level loop carpet and what kind of pattern
August 30, 2013 at 5:34PM   
maria_scazzero
This is the color of
Love seat
August 30, 2013 at 5:37PM     
Whitney Stone
Oh, I love your couch! Preferably, I would choose a black leather/blend for the lounge chairs. For the green paint, I would just do one wall (the wall with the two windows) as an accent wall. Then on the other walls in the room, choose a complementary neutral to the green (such as off-white or beige or light gray). All the colors will differ depending on the green you choose for your accent wall. A level loop carpet is just carpet that is low to the ground and the threads are looped, making it very high-traffic and cleaning friendly. But like I said, I would try to avoid carpet and go with a nice area rug for your living room. I wouldn't use curtains to divide rooms, it brings a heavy element to a small place. Leave it open, spacious, and inviting. You don't need to worry so much about dividing spaces... the place will look much more appealing if you leave things open.
August 30, 2013 at 7:12PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
r green as my accent ?
Do i get a bed with a headboard or no what colors am am i getting for my bed for the comforter and curtains?

2. How do i decorate my kitchen ? Put a little bar table in there- the color yellow makes me happy . I want to get a little bar table and bar stools for my kitchen any suggestions on style

3. The love seat i have is not leather its a regular soft couch? Would you do black soft lounge chairs -2

4.
August 30, 2013 at 11:17PM   
maria_scazzero
I want to put a dresser in my room for clothes like undergarments etc... Where can it go any suggestions
August 30, 2013 at 11:22PM   
Whitney Stone
1. Here's example of accent walls if it's hard to visualize: http://www.houzz.com/accent-walls
Also, get a headboard only if you want, I personally like them but they sometimes can look too big on a wall and not fit under windows. You just have to be sure to measure your wall so the headboard doesn't interfere with the windows. For curtains, I would either go with a white just to keep it simple or if you want a patterned curtain, use a neutral color pattern or the similar green with the wall.

2. I like the idea of painting your kitchen yellow. I think it's a great idea. For your table, I would use either a white laminate table or a light color wood.

3. It doesn't matter that your couch is a soft fabric, I would still go with black leather.

4. I'm not sure what the dimensions are in your room so I can't say where I think the dresser should go on the wall with the kitchen doorway next to your bed. But again, you might just have to do some rearranging to figure the perfect spot. I recommend getting a shallow tall dresser, no deeper than 18 inches.

5. A side note, do I see a cow hide rug in that picture of your couch? If that's yours, I would definitely use that for your living area under your coffee table!
August 31, 2013 at 11:28AM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
Classical Home Design, Inc. by Susan Berry
Use a long low cabinet with drawers as the divider. You can position open book shelves on top of it for a view through. so you are facing the window. The drawers can open to the couch side. The bed can back up to it. Use lots of white on the bedding.
August 31, 2013 at 11:50AM   
I can't make your room photos jibe with your floor plan, so I won't suggest an arrangement.

Everything below is from Ikea. The Pax wardrobe is over 6 feet wide and has sliding doors, so it could be used to separate the living from sleeping areas and give you a lot of storage on the bedroom side.

The coffee table and side table nest, a space saver, but useful when you have company and need an extra table. Both side chairs have small footprints, yet are comfortable (yes, I've sat in them both). The lamp is funky and super cheap, and the picture is large and ready to hang.
August 31, 2013 at 12:59PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
Could you reccomend a bookshelf or dresser with some holes on it instead of a this closet so this way the light could come through by my windows
August 31, 2013 at 1:50PM     
maria_scazzero
Here is. A pic of my loveseat
August 31, 2013 at 2:27PM   
maria_scazzero
Here is a better one
August 31, 2013 at 2:29PM   
maria_scazzero
Here is the love seat grove and whitney any suggestion

Can i still use
All of your suggestions? The couch looks kind of dead and washed out what can i add to add some color to it.
August 31, 2013 at 2:30PM   
maria_scazzero
The color green whitney you sent to me i like that green what color bookshelf, and comforter should i get and dresser.
August 31, 2013 at 2:32PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
You could use a ceiling mounted drapery track and hang drapery or woven verticals between the 2 areas.
August 31, 2013 at 2:35PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
You could leave the shell of the sofa green and have slipcovers made for the cushions. The fabric doesn't need to be a floral or a pattern, maybe something with texture like a tweed. It will still read as a neutral and you could bring in 2 pillows for color and then match some drapery to the pillow.
August 31, 2013 at 2:38PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Here is a picture of a sofa with contrasting cushions...would like nice without the pattern too.
August 31, 2013 at 2:45PM   
The Ikea Stolmen system can be configured lots of different ways to suit your storage needs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/19108/
August 31, 2013 at 5:36PM     
maria_scazzero
How should i position my bes i cannot put i against the heater and ac? Where would the bookshelf go? To
Divise the room?i have to put bed on the other walls opposite the windows?
September 1, 2013 at 1:49PM   
maria_scazzero
Whitney can you help me draw another. Layout but with the bed not against the window because then its blocking the ac and heater
September 1, 2013 at 1:51PM   
maria_scazzero
I want to be able to add a desk or a little table so i can work from
Home if i need too
September 1, 2013 at 2:11PM   
yoboseiyo
where the wall ends because the kitchen is there, put the divider there.
i would use the ikea stolmen poles because they're floor to ceiling, but you can also fake something like that.

use a buffet with storage, and use either fabric stapled into frames or glued onto canvases, suspended from the ceiling, hanging above it.

if you use frames, remember to use different sizes of frames or several large panorama-style frames, and to make it double sided, so that it's pretty when you walk in and when you go to bed at night.
September 1, 2013 at 2:35PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
Maria, put your bed against the side wall. then put your divider in front of it. I've shown it below, except I'd turn Stolmen system around so the drawers open into the bedroom and the back side faces the living area.
September 1, 2013 at 5:52PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
Great does that look wierd or no. What color headboard what you do ?
September 1, 2013 at 5:59PM   
maria_scazzero
any suggestions on where to put a desk? I need one for when I work from home
September 1, 2013 at 6:00PM   
maria_scazzero
Would I just paint that wall green since that would be the accent wall for my bedroom? I am thinking that might look wierd? origianlly painting around the windows green was nice because of the fact that my bed was going to be looking that way
September 1, 2013 at 6:02PM   
maria_scazzero
What can I put behind my bed to accent the wall ? I cannot paint that one wall because it is one long wall and it goes into the living room so it would look weird
September 1, 2013 at 6:09PM   
Ikea has a very narrow desk called BESTÅ BURS that might work on the back side of your divider unit without taking up much space since it's only 15' deep.

Maria, you've been given lots of ideas, and it's time to start making decisions yourself. Are you sure you're ready to move out on your own? ;-)
September 1, 2013 at 7:02PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
barbav
Maria, I love how this bedroom is separated from the living room.
September 1, 2013 at 7:29PM     
maria_scazzero
Great what could i put opposite my bed on the other wall i cant paint it. the walls are navaho white color as well what kinds of cool pictures could i put up please show me example :) what color would you do the comforter
September 1, 2013 at 7:30PM   
maria_scazzero
I love the divider where is it from how much???
September 1, 2013 at 7:31PM     
barbav
I think this would work with your bookcase, too. Your move sounds exciting!
September 1, 2013 at 7:34PM   
maria_scazzero
I know
I like it. What would work well with colors? Please see the post i put
Above? I need comments on it, also please give me some ideas worh my bathroom!! Im
Lost im so
Open im so overwhelmed. Iam going to ikea tomorrow please any colora themes im open.
September 1, 2013 at 7:39PM   
maria_scazzero
I would like suggestion on bathroom themese? I cannot paint the wall not allowed? Any suggestions on color, showe curtains? Rug acceasories? I like
Modern
September 1, 2013 at 7:39PM   
barbav
Oh, we posted at the same time. Touch the photo to see if that question has been asked. Is it possible to put a dresser in front of the window? In front of the heater/air?
September 1, 2013 at 7:41PM   
maria_scazzero
Barbav would u be able to give some info on what type of bedroom area i shouls get
September 1, 2013 at 7:43PM   
barbav
Take a breath of air. What look do you like? Neutrals/greys/whites with splashes of color? Or color with splashes of neutral? You could start by painting the walls neutral and live in the space for a while. You can always paint the back accent wall later. Start with the layout. Then use pieces you already have and move them into the space. Decide what you need to have beyond that and shop for some cool pieces that fit your style.
September 1, 2013 at 7:53PM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
barbav
What do you mean by bedroom area? Do you mean headboard, dresser, nightstand?
September 1, 2013 at 7:55PM   
barbav
If you like the photo above, I bet IKEA has a bookcase type headboard that would work in back of the bookcase.
September 1, 2013 at 7:57PM   
maria_scazzero
I like splashes of color i want to put a little desk in my room
Any suggestion?also i need to put an area rug down any suggestions in my bedroom?
September 1, 2013 at 9:21PM   
Maria, have you been looking at the suggestions above? There are plenty of suggestions already. Go to Ikea's website to see what they have. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/

Make a list of the things you need before you go there. You can furnish your whole apartment there if you know what you want. They have beds and bedding, art for the walls, chairs, curtains, desks. Even pots and pans. Plan to spend the whole day, take a large vehicle to cart it all home, and remember, you don't have to furnish the place in one trip.

Start with a bed and bedding. It's all you really need to move in. If you're not clear on colors, go neutral. Gray goes with everything. After you've spent a few days in the apartment, you'll have a better idea of what you need and what will work.
September 1, 2013 at 9:59PM     
maria_scazzero
Im doing the green on the wall. As far as bedding goes? Any suggstions? I am going to follow all of your suggestions def with the living room and rug. My struggle is comforter for my bed and area rug for my bedroom cn you guve me some ideas for that
September 1, 2013 at 10:07PM   
maria_scazzero
I have been reading all suggeations
September 1, 2013 at 10:09PM     
Here is a whole page of duvet covers for a comforter: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/10680/

And here is a whole page of rugs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/10692/?sorting=price

If you go wild on the bedding, go neutral on the rug and vice versa.
September 2, 2013 at 3:43AM     
hollybaumgartner
Check out the website "Engineer Your Space." She just showed how to do small space living in a studio apartment - great ideas that might be helpful!
September 2, 2013 at 6:05AM   
September 2, 2013 at 8:02AM     
maria_scazzero
I am at ikea i will
Be posting. I want a divider that alot of storage space with cabinets and a desk. I so not need closet space
September 2, 2013 at 8:29AM   
maria_scazzero
I am finding great stuff thank u everyone
September 2, 2013 at 8:47AM   
maria_scazzero
The stoleman system
To
Expensive for me
Any other suggestions for a book shelf
September 2, 2013 at 9:01AM     
maria_scazzero
Yobo can you help me figure out what kind of fabric i can put on top
Of the buffet
September 2, 2013 at 9:23AM   
maria_scazzero
I found this for divider for my room pleaae give me feedbac with what i can use as cubes to store stuff
September 2, 2013 at 10:16AM   
maria_scazzero
What kind of wood for a desk
Goes in my room dark
Or light
September 2, 2013 at 10:23AM   
nasmijati
@Maria. There are also some ideas on your thread in the Other section of Houzz Discussions.
September 2, 2013 at 10:24AM   
Look at the Expedit. You can get doors for it, or fill it with bins or baskets.
September 2, 2013 at 10:58AM     
karemore55
This is getting really confusing. Maria, you now have 3 separate posts on this apartment. Consolidate!
September 2, 2013 at 11:36AM     
maria_scazzero
I checked i am at ikea
And having trouble finding a divider help! If i use this what can i use as drawers if i get a desk
What color
Wood
September 2, 2013 at 2:05PM   
maria_scazzero
I went to ikea today i felt overwhelemed.
-What i realized was i need a book shelf with draws the ikea storelnbjnger thing was to much
- i need a book case with drawers
- also i need a table or a desk that i can put up against the back of my couch for when i need to work from home. Pleass comment and put pictures up
September 2, 2013 at 2:10PM   
maria_scazzero
These are two things i found as dividers for the room?

Whatever dividers i get should i center in or put in the center and then a room divider or sheer curtains on either side?

Can someone help me
Draw a
Picture
Of that
September 2, 2013 at 2:13PM   
Here are pictures of two Ikea room dividers. The first is the one you sent a picture of except I included the desk with it. It's called the Vittsjo series. The second is the Expedit series with the Laiva desk. Third picture is with three panel curtains hung from the ceiling for more privacy.

Here is what you need to do. Go through the Ikea website and write down the dimensions of everything you think will work. Then measure it out in the room to see how it will fit. Get a roll of blue painter's tape at the hardware store and tape the outline of each piece of furniture on your floor. Decide what pieces you will buy before you go next time.

If you have anyone where you are who can help, I suggest you enlist their aid. Take them with you if you can. But make as many decisions as you can before you go.
September 2, 2013 at 5:38PM   
maria_scazzero
I looked at i like the black block i think i would put the desk in the living behind the couch
September 2, 2013 at 6:10PM   
maria_scazzero
Any suggestions ?
September 2, 2013 at 6:16PM   
Yes, I made a bazillion suggestions already. Go through the Ikea website, find the pieces you want and can afford, see if they fit, and then go buy them.
September 2, 2013 at 6:43PM     
maria_scazzero
I got this rug for my room with this bedding i need curtain suggestions

Also the black polka dot one from ikea is not big enough for my living room
And i have been looking all over any suggestion
1. Need curtains to match bedroom-help
2.rug for living room- help
3.divider which im looking into
4.
I bought everythjng else in the picture
For
The living
Room
Except the rug any suggestions please post store
September 2, 2013 at 9:36PM   
karemore55
I suggest buying the same rug as you bought for your bedroom area. Your space is small - it will make it all more cohesive.
September 2, 2013 at 10:20PM   
karemore55
Actually, that Gray rug that groveraxle posted earlier could work. You would then have both green and Gray in both the spaces.
September 2, 2013 at 10:22PM     
maria_scazzero
What gray rug ? The set up of my apartment is i have an eveegreen love seat , flowees chair from ikea, white then a beige
Chair . Its has to go with that
September 2, 2013 at 10:43PM   
maria_scazzero
I have eveeything in this picture except the rug
September 2, 2013 at 10:45PM   
karemore55
The Gray rug was from several posts back where groveraxle showed you a couple of duvet sets, plus a green rug and a grey polka dot rug. But never mind - I like the striped rug I put on your other post better!
September 2, 2013 at 11:22PM   
katinahat
some great comments and suggestions!
i would ask: would it make sense to you that your living area have the light, for living, and the bedroom have the dark for sleeping? by creating a hallway on the right side of the foyer you can create a 'sleeping alcove' next to the dressing area-- which is large enough to house your 'dresser'. then you can place any of the great furniture selections to form a 'wall' facing the living room or bed area as your needs require.

that gives you a living/dining area with easy access to your kitchen and bright, open-plan living.
i like groveraxle's room divider-- you could attach your privacy curtain to the 'bedroom' side and perhaps tvs back-to-back to share cable cordage!
i. too have a gorgeous evergreen velvet loveseat which has seen many homes. the most success colours were cloverdale's old colour: arabian sand a beautiful warm pale yellow [not! citrus] that can read like french cream or jonquil depending what it's with. i love the paint and the couch with lots of white! had it in my home and my design studio--everyone else loves it too!
best of luck and fun in your new place--how exciting for you!
September 2, 2013 at 11:37PM     
karemore55
Katinahat, that was my first suggestion on other post (this gal has three posts going on this apt. lol). Having the sleeping area in the middle section of the apartment also means you are closer to bathroom and dressing room. It just seems like the front of the apartment is the daytime area, and middle section is nighttime area.
September 3, 2013 at 12:03AM     
maria_scazzero
Can you draw the lay out i so i can see i dont want people to walk into my house straight to my bedroom
September 3, 2013 at 12:08AM   
katinahat
karemore--thx--thought it was a no-brainer -- obviously not.

maria--of course you want your sleepspace private-- one of the main reasons for this configuration. take a pencil and draw a line blocking off the foyer from the closet-- to the right, leaving a 42-48" space to walk through to the rest of the space.then continue the line towards the window as far as you want. that space-- from the hallway to the 'door' to the dressing area is your sleep space. create the walls from some of the amazing pieces of furniture people have included above, or as suggested--search the ikea site for storage units, etc.

the 'walls' don't have to go to the ceiling, in fact, having the open space above allows you to do some creative displays to add interest to your foyer: low light trailing plants, L A R G E painting on the back of a cabinet etc.

as this is your first place, perhaps you have been conditioned to the matchy-match of someone else's design ideas. while you obviously want to avoid huge (read costly) mistakes, mistakes are how we all learn. i love the grey patterned bedding -- a fresh wonderful neutral to build on, and very young and current with the pop of lime carpet. i think a light grey carpet perhaps patterned with the green couch (in your next home it can go with your bedding and the juicy green can spice up another room) i would love to see combinations with the pale warm yellow, gray and white in your living area. dining linens can bring in the pop of colours lime&yellow& white--i would avoid the direct juxtaposition of the lime green with your sofa. yellow/ white/gray plain/ patterned cushions on the sofa.

with a general idea of colours in your mind look for things you L_O_V_E! ! can't say that enough!! white goes everywhere, always looks fabulous, goes with everything, brightens a room, reminds your guests to keep their feet off the furniture, etc.
happy housewarming!
September 3, 2013 at 1:13AM     
karemore55
Hope the drawing shows up OK. I showed your bed with an Ikea Malm dresser on each side of it for lots of storage for clothes. As you can see, the whole other side of your room is empty space for you to add in whatever storage you want - Pax wardrobe system, bookshelves, a bicycle even! I don't know how often you will have company, but close friends won't care if they walk past your bed to get to the living room. If you want even more privacy, I mentioned in one of my first posts that Ikea has a curtain rod system that you mount from the ceiling. So you could do that and hang several curtain panels to close off your bed completely. If you'll notice from the love seat and chair in living room area you can't really see over to the bed because the bookcase is blocking it. And your daytime activities, like working at your desk, watching TV or whatever, are near the window where it feels more like a room. As I said before, when you are in bed you are sleeping, so you need dark and quiet and that's about it. But when you are up and doing things, I think being near the window and natural day,isn't are important.
September 3, 2013 at 2:54AM   
karemore55
Last line should say "being near daylight is important".
September 3, 2013 at 2:56AM   
maria_scazzero
Yea that ia
Floor
Plan my concern is that i dont want people
Walking right into my front door to my bedroom tbags why i put it by the windows?
September 3, 2013 at 8:06AM   
maria_scazzero
Here is actual realistic floor plan with no furniture
September 3, 2013 at 8:10AM   
maria_scazzero
The one i posted is actual floor plan
September 3, 2013 at 8:13AM   
maria_scazzero
Pleass help me figure out layout of furniture with this floor plan?

What kind of divider can i get ???
September 3, 2013 at 8:17AM   
maria_scazzero
I am sorry about the confusion this is my first
Time
Doing this? How do we work in your layout with furniture with my plan now? I like the set up? Is there still a way i could paint my wall green and accent it with my bedroom? What color bedroom curtains would i get to put around my bedroom
September 3, 2013 at 8:21AM   
maria_scazzero
This is
Floor plan
September 3, 2013 at 8:32AM   
maria_scazzero
Anyone that has helped i will
Be
Taking
Pictures
Of
My apartment when its done and feel free
To
Post on your website
As
Part of your portfolio
September 3, 2013 at 8:34AM   
karemore55
That does change everything! You will definitely want your bed at the window end, on the wall to the left of the window. Then one of the Ikea dividers you looked at - put 2 or 3 together and make the divider long enough to hide the bed. I hope you don't have a TV because I will be hard to come up with a good spot to place it with a closet across from your living area. Let us know if you have a TV.
September 3, 2013 at 8:58AM   
Fred S
I think it is actually this one with the entry closet on the left.
September 3, 2013 at 9:13AM   
karemore55
Fred, so Maria has about 9.5' of width in area by window and 12.5' in larger, common area? And 26' from window to closet wall?
September 3, 2013 at 9:38AM   
karemore55
Sorry, 24' from window wall to closet wall?
September 3, 2013 at 9:38AM   
Fred S
Just my best guess from the limited pictures she has posted. Could be 10, 13, & 25 ? If Maria would invest in a tape measure, I could draw it more accurately ;-)
September 3, 2013 at 9:45AM   
karemore55
You were asking about fun accessories for the kitchen (possibly on your other post?) - Bodum has a line of small appliances in lime green. All from jcpenney, including the clock.
September 3, 2013 at 10:46AM   
karemore55
Don't forget, you need a toaster! On Amazon.
September 3, 2013 at 10:46AM     
maria_scazzero
Yes your are completely correct with the measurements I did the measurements.

As far as the bookshelfs go.I need storage space for files that I have and I also need desk a table I can as well for me to work from home.

Any suggestions would be great for a divider that has a desk with pockets where I can put file folders in cubes etc.. I need to be able to put a desk in my apartment whether behind my couch against the wall in the living room. If I use a bookshelf can I put curtains up if I want more privacy. Where i would position the bookcase right in front on the side of my bed or in the center with curtains on either side to finish diving the room?

Living Room set up

a green love set, that flowered chair, a coffee table for the living room,
September 3, 2013 at 10:51AM   
I have drawn your studio and furnishings approximately to scale. I assumed you had a double bed. If that's not accurate, you can adjust.

The black and white rug is not big enough, so get two of them. Put them side by side.

Get the Hopen 8-drawer dresser: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20129592/
Put an Expedit shelving unit turned on its side on top as a divider and to fill with boxes and baskets for more storage; it should be just a bit smaller than the dresser and you can access it from both the living and bedroom sides: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70193745/

Choose any desk that fits your needs and place it in the space to the right of the foyer.

You didn't mention a TV, so I didn't plan for one.
September 3, 2013 at 10:51AM     
Here is the link to Ikea's desks: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/20651/

Below are the Hopen dresser and the Expedit storage unit. The Expedit comes in lots of different colors. Third pic is the Brimnes nightstand with a bit of extra storage.
September 3, 2013 at 10:55AM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
Can you draw me a fake layout. with this set up..
a. With the bedroom bookshelf- curtain and divider- with what color divider-My room rug is bright green-comforter the flowered gray one- I have not gotten curtains yet- i need curtains

a- Please see pictures above where grove put room pictures with bookshelf. I just don't like it at all :( It looks cluttered :(

b. my living room- I just need to get a rug for it-I have everything except the rug no gray closet- which I am not getting. It has to be a big area rug.

Please help me find a rug--

c. Also, I want something for when I first come into the house for me to put my keys and my wallet
d. I do not need closet space because I have an built in closet in my apartment

Whatever you post please post with pics
September 3, 2013 at 10:59AM   
karemore55
Honey, I don't think the furniture plan groveraxle looks crowded at all - in fact, I'd say its perfect, given the sizes you have to work with. Your divider should be white because you are picking out a lot of black stuff, and a dark green sofa, so its time to lighten up a bit. Plus the white divider (Expedit is your best bet) will keep it from feeling cluttered and overwhelming.

Everyone, please note there is another thread to this discussion. Maria, you picked a different rug (on other thread) and you liked the black and white curtains (also on other thread) so if you like them, go buy them. The rug comes in an 8X10 size, which will be perfect for your space.

The only thing I would add to groveraxle's arrangement is that, with the desk pulled out from the wall and facing toward sofa, you will not have room for extra storage or file cabinet. But if you turn your desk toward the window/bedroom area, you will have room behind it for a file cabinet such as the PS locker style credenza.

For a place to drop keys, etc. at the door, groveraxle posted a night stand in white several threads back, and this could work in your foyer as a drop spot. I still recommend the Ikea Malm dressers (again, other thread) as bedside tables to give you clothes storage.
September 3, 2013 at 11:18AM     
karemore55
I should point out that in your new kitchen plan, there would only be room for the tiniest of tables, probably round, because you need to be able to open the fridge.
September 3, 2013 at 11:21AM   
Maria, I have not been on your other thread, but on this one, you are all over the place. You wanted drawers in the bedroom. That's the Hopen dresser. You wanted an open divider so I placed the Expedit on top of it. That will give you enough height to hide the bedroom and you can use it as a bookshelf if you need to.

Here are some green curtains for your bedroom: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20232301/

If you'd rather have black or gray curtains, there's a whole page of them here: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/Textiles/10700/?color=black

karemore makes a good point about the desk and storage, so I've moved it to face the kitchen so you can put a bookcase or another Expedit behind it.
September 3, 2013 at 11:34AM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
Here is a great table and two chairs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69913133/

Key features
- Sliding and folding drop-leaf; makes it easy to adjust the table size according to need and seats 1-2.
- You can fold the chair, so it takes less space when you're not using it.
- You can hang it on a hook on the wall to save space.
September 3, 2013 at 11:37AM   
handymam
Maria, I think you are trying to do too much all at once and that is why you are feeling so overwhelmed. Groveraxle and others have given you very good solutions and advice. Quite honestly, you seem to ignore what they say and ask the same things again. And then you want everyone to give you pics of what they say. At some point, you are going to have to go shop for things on your own. You do not need exact pieces from us, just an idea of what to get. It is up to you to find something like it as you can only get what is available.
September 3, 2013 at 11:51AM     
karemore55
We hope and pray that you are not wanting a TV in this space as well!
September 3, 2013 at 12:30PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
karemore55
Maria, Btw I see Ikea now sells the Malm dresser in a dark blue-grey co,or, which I think would look quite nice in your bedroom area. It's the 3-drawer size, which I think is about 32" wide.
September 3, 2013 at 12:57PM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
Judit
since you only have one window I would handle the space as one unit though multifunctional
September 3, 2013 at 1:04PM   
maria_scazzero
Thank you this is much better!! I have no TV>> my bathroom will look great.. I love the yellow clock for my kitchen and the white table is great!!! I can get yellow chairs to go with it!! i wanted abar table but I dont think it will fit in there.... so this is fine
September 3, 2013 at 2:03PM   
maria_scazzero
What do you mean by this can you show me in a drawing?only thing I would add to groveraxle's arrangement is that, with the desk pulled out from the wall and facing toward sofa, you will not have room for extra storage or file cabinet. But if you turn your desk toward the window/bedroom area, you will have room behind it for a file cabinet such as the PS locker style credenza.

Also if i add the expediter thing to i use a curtain too
September 3, 2013 at 4:17PM   
maria_scazzero
This is how much space i have for the kitchen table could i do high bar in here
September 3, 2013 at 4:24PM   
maria_scazzero
Measurements for kitchem table are 36x24
September 3, 2013 at 4:28PM   
karemore55
Maria, in the last drawing groveraxle posted, she turned the desk so that there is now room behind it (along the wall) for a file cabinet or other storage. So this way, your desk is now facing toward your big window. Just have a look at the drawing and follow that.

About the bar table, yes, that would work. I believe groveraxle posted a pic of one from Ikea that is nice and small and compact. But you should put it in the other corner of your kitchen, because I believe you have a window there for more light, plus there is a little more room for a stool or chair on that side.
September 3, 2013 at 4:31PM   
karemore55
Yes, the Muddus/Jeff table groveraxle posted will fit into your kitchen.
September 3, 2013 at 4:36PM   
maria_scazzero
What muddus jeff table
September 3, 2013 at 5:00PM   
September 3, 2013 at 5:04PM   
karemore55
Thank you, groveraxle!
September 3, 2013 at 5:07PM   
maria_scazzero
No bar table would fit
I
Will look
September 3, 2013 at 5:10PM   
I've added the kitchen table where I think it should go.

Whether you get drapery panels to hide the bedroom is up to you. Install the Expedit and see if it gives you enough privacy. If you put it on top of a dresser, it probably will. And if you fill it with lots of books and some bins, you'll get more privacy still.
September 3, 2013 at 5:12PM     
Here is a large Expedit with drawers and doors used to divide a bedroom from a living area.
September 3, 2013 at 5:20PM     
handymam
Great inspiration pic groveraxle!
September 3, 2013 at 5:30PM     
Thanks, handymam, and thanks for your support. Can you tell I'm a little frustrated?
September 3, 2013 at 6:23PM     
maria_scazzero
Love the pic!!!!
September 3, 2013 at 7:12PM   
karemore55
Another image of Expedit used as a divider.
September 3, 2013 at 7:23PM     
louise80
These colours are quite nice. Paint the place mainly white and have a feature wall using the deep purple. This goes well with green. Add some silver accessories. Use a similar coloured patterned duvet cover and keep the walls white. Your living room should definitely be where the light is.
September 4, 2013 at 6:51AM   
maria_scazzero
I cant put the living room
Where the light is because of the way my apartment set up
September 4, 2013 at 7:01AM   
hollybaumgartner
I would also temporarily remove the doors to the kitchen. You could use them as a temporary wall art installation? Hang something useful(office supplies) from them or a pretty picture. Or wrap in colorful fabric.....
September 4, 2013 at 7:05AM   
maria_scazzero
Thank you so much everyone i feel so good about my apt!!!! I tried putting the couch near the windows and it looked great it just
September 4, 2013 at 7:17AM   
maria_scazzero
Where is the entrance to the apartment in this picture
September 4, 2013 at 7:43AM   
maria_scazzero
When you walk into my apartment their is small photo
Photo 1 Closet with a
Wall
then on your right hand side is
A wall which on the other side is bathroom then a long
Wall
Photo 1 With walk in closet then kitchen
And tnis
Wall
Are on the right side
Photl 3 kitchen straight ahead
September 4, 2013 at 7:47AM   
Fred S
On the right.
September 4, 2013 at 7:49AM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
karemore55
Maria, are you saying that you have to put your sofa near the window and keep the bed in the middle area of your apartment? That is, you come in the door and see bedroom area first, then living room at front by window?
September 4, 2013 at 9:18AM   
Snaggy
How come there is 8 different posts about this flat !
September 4, 2013 at 10:17AM     
maria_scazzero
Yeah i tried it. It just didnt go. I have a built in closet it not close to my bed i didn't want to use it but i will. Anyone have suggestions?

anyone have any suggestions wear to get drawer liners from.i have built in draws?

My other thought was to flip and put my bedroom in the front and livng room in thr back. With my bed in the front put room dividers for when i first come in the door?Any th
September 4, 2013 at 10:27AM   
maria_scazzero
I mean i liked it in that set up
September 4, 2013 at 10:28AM   
karemore55
Maria, when you say that you can't put your living room where the light is because of the way it is set up, can you explain that in more detail?
September 4, 2013 at 10:31AM   
Fred S
@karemore, Maria was replying to Louise80 who thought the livingroom should go by the window.
September 4, 2013 at 3:23PM   
Maria, there is no practical way to flip the bedroom and living area if you don't want the bed to be seen.
September 4, 2013 at 4:28PM   
maria_scazzero
Anyone have suggestions?

Also i would like
To make the outside
Of the closet pretty it
Looks
So
Ugly. :(
September 4, 2013 at 4:32PM   
maria_scazzero
I want to mirror on the wall opposite my bed any suggestions
September 4, 2013 at 4:35PM   
Fred S
You can get drawer liners from Walmart or a hardware store, or lumber yard.
September 4, 2013 at 4:36PM   
karemore55
Fred S, yes I see that now - didn't read entire post because it seemed a little random. Have to ask, though - drawer liners from a lumber yard? Or were you checking to see if I was reading carefully lol??

Maria, the only way I can see your bed working in the middle area, now that we all can see the proper floor plan, is to use ceiling hooks and curtain rods from Ikea that I mentioned on one of your other posts. You could hang curtains down the side of your bed so that it can't be seen from the door, and hang more across the end of the bed so that the bed can't be seen by people walking by. Honestly, in a studio apartment, I don't think it's that big a deal for people to. See your bed exposed. It's not like people are going to be walking by while you're sleeping! Anyway, curtain hardware and sheer curtains shown are all from Ikea.
September 4, 2013 at 6:05PM     
Fred S
I meant a lumber yard like Home Depot, although my local lumber yard will order in all kinds of stuff like that.
September 4, 2013 at 6:10PM   
The problem with putting the bed in front, even if you screen it, is that a screen or divider is the first thing you see walking in the door, and then you have to walk around it to get to the living area. I also think--my own personal feeling--that a bedroom belongs at the back of the space, common areas up front. I would not want to sleep near my front door.
September 4, 2013 at 6:16PM     
The closet isn't ugly; it's just plain. I would leave it alone. Trying to make it pretty is likely to just make it look junky.
September 4, 2013 at 6:17PM     
maria_scazzero
Grover-Can you tell me where the white shelf is from it has the indigo
indigo curtain in it
September 4, 2013 at 7:05PM   
carlypeebles
Check out ikea for shelving that can double as a room divider
September 4, 2013 at 7:48PM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
where is that in ikea
September 4, 2013 at 8:02PM   
maria_scazzero
September 4, 2013 at 8:03PM   
judith1922
use a murphy bed...or a la japanese, move a futon out of the closet when it's time to bed down.
September 4, 2013 at 8:08PM     
Maria, you aren't paying attention. That divider in the picture from carlypeebles has been posted before along with the information that it is the Expedit unit with drawers and doors added.

I don't know what white shelf and indigo curtain you're talking about so I can't tell you where it's from.

And as for the mirror, go to the Ikea website, find mirrors in the Decoration department, and LOOK FOR YOURSELF. It is time for you to start taking some responsibility for your own space. I know you can do it. Start right now.
September 4, 2013 at 8:14PM     
carlypeebles
Look at this months ikea catalog online in the sleeping section, the whole layout is there
September 4, 2013 at 8:24PM   
Do it in gray to go with your bedding. Gray goes with everything.
September 4, 2013 at 10:00PM   
karemore55
You know - and I probably shouldn't even open this can of worms - Maria could just fit that bed in the nook where the desk is sitting in the drawing. It would right up s if against the wall on the one side, which would make it a pain to make the bed, but it kinda could work.
September 4, 2013 at 10:15PM   
mefor
Is this even a real dilemma? Or someone who is just trying to torture all of you? The suggestions have been wonderful. The way that groveraxle has diagramed your studio is really the only way you can set it up and live in it easily. If this is a real dilemma, go back and look at each of groveraxles suggestions, diagrams, inspirational pictures and links. Follow her directions and stop asking the same questions over and over. If you are just trying to have fun at the expense of all these people who are so kindly giving their time and ideas then it's probably time to stop.
September 5, 2013 at 5:49AM     
handymam
mforr, all 8 discussions on the same place are real. Check them out...
September 5, 2013 at 6:19AM     
mefor
God no handy!! Reading through this one was painful enough. I hope she will listen to grovers advice. And all the other great advice given by all the very kind, very patient people on her thread(s)
September 5, 2013 at 6:26AM     
Fred S
Unfortunately, I think half the confusion comes from random people interjecting already played out ideas into the conversation without reading the whole thing first.
September 5, 2013 at 6:27AM     
soberg
Maria, you are a professional social worker who lives in Flushing, New York. Your social work blog and posts are more coherent than what you've posted here. Given that your life's work is focussed on listening and talking to solve problems, could you kindly try to apply those skills here and communicate coherently, including listening to and even thanking the many kind and talented people who have generously given you fantastic advice? Please consider it.
September 5, 2013 at 8:40AM     
maria_scazzero
Actually if you read through my threads i have thanked everyone. Because of you guys i am so excited about moving into your apartment. I will write reviews for anyone who posted here if they have a blog!!!! Thank you so much. Going forward i appreciate your candor but my personal information does not need to be posted on that blog
September 5, 2013 at 9:29AM   
maria_scazzero
The built in closet i have i want to put an organization unit in for hanging clothes and shoes and also shelves.

Dilemma
1. Cost my budget is $100.00
And i checked the container store elfa its expensive
2. I checked ikea as well same thing expensive

Measurements of closet
22 w
36 h
24 length

Any suggestions please

Iam open to this as well
September 5, 2013 at 9:48AM   
Fred S
I assume you mean those are the dimensions of the shelving unit you want to put in the closet, because I know the closet is bigger than that.
September 5, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Judy M
It's difficult to fit (comfortably, esthetically and functionally) a bedroom, an office, a living space, generous storage space, dining space in a small studio apt.
Some belongings might need to be stored or parred down. It's a hard pill to swallow when downsizing.
One suggestion is bed risers to raise the bed, then storage bins for off season clothing can be stored under the bed.
September 5, 2013 at 10:27AM   
maria_scazzero

Dilemma
1. Cost my budget is $100.00

Measurements of closet
22 w
36 h
24 length

Any suggestions please

Iam open to this as well
September 5, 2013 at 10:28AM   
maria_scazzero
I want to say thank you to everyone especially grover and karen you guys have been so patient. I would love to write a positive review on your linkden or on your website to help promote you guys please let me know
September 5, 2013 at 10:31AM     
Maria, is there a hanging rod in the closet already? Can you give us a photo of it with the doors open?
September 5, 2013 at 11:24AM   
Here's my take on the closet. It's small and it's the only place you have for hanging things. I would put two hanging rods in it, one above the other with the top rod as high as you can get it for hanging longer things. I wouldn't put anything else in it.

Use the cupboards to the right of the closet, underbed storage, your dresser, and baskets in an Expedit shelving unit for anything--shoes, underwear, folded shirts and sweaters--that doesn't need to be hung.

Invest in underbed storage instead of a shelving unit. You can get a lot of stuff under your bed.
September 5, 2013 at 11:37AM   
maria_scazzero
I will post a picture today in the next hour of my closet
September 5, 2013 at 2:23PM   
maria_scazzero
The exact measurements are
Front to back -24 inches
Legnth is 65 inches
Width 70 inches- between pole
Height is 80 inches

What Iam looking for are removable shelves I can put in?
Also a place for shoes

Are there any programs where I can see my closet would look like with different types of storage options?
September 5, 2013 at 5:54PM   
September 5, 2013 at 9:30PM   
September 5, 2013 at 9:34PM   
geoellen
Maria ,have you entered in small room decorating into the Houzz search or even view small rooms tab at top.Since you cant paint the walls you could use swaths of material held up with the command removable tabs.Either on a wire with the clip pins(world market/Ikea)or button tab curtains with the command small tabs sticking out like buttons.They now make clear ones so they wouldn't distract you from the curtains or material.If you have room you could use a sofa table as your work station.Just get a chair or stool height appropriate if you don't want to work at the kitchen table.They make nice beds with built in storage so you wouldn't need a dresser taking up room which would give you work table space also.I love IKEA just make sure you wont be rushed through.They have acrylic(clear plastic)chairs which help the room seem larger cuz you see through them.We spent the night and had 2 days there.The first day looking comparing making notes the next day for the final decisions.If you have a book or using website mark down what you want to look at.I found some items looked better and or worse than the book and web site.Try wayfair,com too,it has some nice things too.Dont forget resale shops,fleamarkets,etsy.com .I too have the modern pallet and with the surge in midcentury modern there is more out there to choose from.Maria do you have Meijer store,menards or Lowes in your area.I have a friend that paid just under 100 for their daughters closet setup.But I did like the idea that groveraxle had of the double rod with one really high.It would mean you would need to use a bar to get some things down like they do in the clothing stores.Your shoes could go on the floor on expandable shoe holders.Or I recently saw a wire rack(chainlink) that was hung from the ceiling and used along a wall for high heels.Looked modern and really kool.you could paint the chain link or keep it the metal color.It was like a modern painting with all the different shoe colors.Something else you could do to "hide" your bed would be to use frosted and non frosted plexi and attach them together with rings from ceiling to floor.You could paint some of them in colors or attach photos made into overheads(see through photos)and attach them.I am not sure what it costs to copy the photos or the plexi cost in your area but I have seen this used to cover windows for privacy when you still want light to come in.Ikea has wall hung lights that you can use this type of photo in or purchase designs in glass that they have.www.Ikea-usa.com You really need to check the web site out before going.Get a catalogue sent to you maybe it will get there before you go.I believe they charge in the store now for one but maybe not.
September 5, 2013 at 11:07PM     
geoellen
Your kitchen entry is the perfect spot for one of the industrial farm doors.That way your not pushing the doors open and closed but sliding left to open and right to close.Very city loft like.I would have one but I don't have room along my walls.
September 5, 2013 at 11:11PM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
This is painful...
September 6, 2013 at 8:27AM     
maria_scazzero
Hey everyone I got everything for my bedroom and living room.

As far as my kitchen goes if is, doing a Yellow with black accent would I get black accessories- dish drain or silver ones? Silver. Toastr silver microwave etc...
September 6, 2013 at 9:13PM     
maria_scazzero
Like means a yes write. What program did grover use to set up the room I want to do that and try different accessories and paint colors to see what goes
September 7, 2013 at 8:48AM   
Maria, I use Photoshop Elements.
September 7, 2013 at 10:35AM     
quixie
If you want to unify all the spaces use shape, color, and repetition. I would pick a hue and then various tints of it. Then pick a complimentary color or split compliment and and tints that correspond with those of your primary hue. Get two of each paint chip. Play with the paint chips. Think about how two of the same color chips one on each side makes a different color stand out. Trick of the eye helps with small spaces. I would buy objects thinking about storage, but in a specific way. What will I be storing here? How much will I be storing here on average? Is this object near where I normally store this? For example you don't want a can opener in the bathroom and your underwear in the kitchen. Still you can probably figure out how to be creative and keep things handy without buying expensive closet organizers. And remember sometimes a fold up or narrow object may be more practical than a duel purpose item. Don't forget Space is what you want to conserve. I digress, you can use the angles of the apartment, or the furniture you know your keeping for shape cues you can repeat.
September 7, 2013 at 11:51AM   
maria_scazzero
a Scazzero
As far as my kitchen goes if is, doing a Yellow with black accent would I get black accessories- dish drain or silver ones? Silver. Toaster silver microwave etc...
Can quixie and grover comment on this? If i get silver toaster and silver accessories a light wood table would be nice right for kitchen
September 7, 2013 at 2:04PM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Do not do black accessories. In a small space you want to keep the eye moving, not stop, especially at the dish drainer.
September 7, 2013 at 3:10PM     
I may have to disagree with Kathryn here. It looks like your kitchen has a black backsplash. If it does, black appliances will disappear on your countertop and give your kitchen a cleaner look.

Since I can't actually get in your kitchen, I've made two mood boards, one with the Ikea Muddus/Jeff table and chairs, the other with the Ikea Ingatorp/Ingolf set in black. The advantage to the Muddus is that the chairs fold up. You will have to measure and see if either table fits; Ikea didn't have dimensions online.

You are going to have trouble finding kitchen curtains that aren't horribly ugly or that come in a color you want. I assume you don't sew. My advice: measure your window, go buy fabric, then take it along with your window dimensions and a picture to a seamstress and have them made. I have shown a black and white stripe tie up shade. Alternatively, you could just buy enough fabric to cover the length of the window and 2 times the width, have her hem all four sides, then hang the panel from a curtain rod with rings and clips.
September 7, 2013 at 4:49PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
Ahhh, groveraxle, I didn't catch the backsplash. Yes - agree! If the counters/backsplash are black/dark, then do the black accessories/appliances. The key is to keep it simple and low-contrast.

One more idea for possible inexpensive curtains: if the size will work, look for either sheets or shower curtains. You can often find them at a discount store (TJMaxx, Marshalls, Homegoods, Big Lots, etc.) and as groveraxle says, hang them from clip rings. Voila - done.
September 7, 2013 at 8:31PM     
Zoom-Room Murphy Beds
Think about Zoom-Room, the electronic, remote controlled, retractable Murphy Bed. It's free standing, so you can use it as a room divider (with or without the wood/glass shoji style pocket doors pictured here). You can also put a flat screen TV in front, saving even more space. Check out www.Zoom-Room.com or give us a call at (888) 211-1120 if you have questions.
September 8, 2013 at 9:19PM     
Quality Components
I don't know if you have purchased the place of if you are renting, but if you purchased the studio building in a system that will in corporate all the things you need
A desk
Storage
Sleeping area
space for the television
and that gives you a great focal point is the best option. We are a custom cabinet builder and could help you create a space in our 3D design program and change it over and over until you are happy with it.

And you might find that this solution will be the most elegant and visually stunning.
September 9, 2013 at 7:18AM   
quixie
OK, catch me up! The kitchen photo looks like white, beige, and a marbled sort of gray are the colors. Is this right? Are you changing any of these things? For example if the floor is staying you have to include it in your design? Have you made a list and budget for appliances? You may need to work around what appliances work best, cost the least and fit physically in the space well.
September 9, 2013 at 6:09PM     
maria_scazzero
I found gray and white shower curtain that i liked for the kitchen any suggestions on how to drape it in kitxhen
September 11, 2013 at 1:25PM   
Go to any store that sells curtain hardware and get a rod and these rings. Slide the rings on the rod, clip the curtain to it.
September 11, 2013 at 1:29PM     
maria_scazzero
Grover where did you find the yellow towel in your picture and spoon holder
September 11, 2013 at 2:06PM   
I don't know, Maria. I decide what I need for a room, type it into google, then steal the images that come up. Try a google search for "yellow kitchen utensils."
September 11, 2013 at 2:17PM     
maria_scazzero
Black
Accessories and a white drain still
Go with these curtains right or no?
September 11, 2013 at 4:37PM     
maria_scazzero
Are these curtains okay for my room
September 11, 2013 at 4:54PM   
maria_scazzero
1.I have an offwhite like straw
Looking bookshelf that iam going to put right next to my kitchen doors as you can see. Iam trying to figure out what color to paint because it needs to be painted since the off white paint is coming off any suggestions. I was thinking maybe the same green as my bedroom? I just do not want it to clash with the living room.

2. I also have to get a long runner rug for my front door any suggestions on color i do not want it to clash with the living room.
September 12, 2013 at 7:26AM   
maria_scazzero
Quixie can you give me your feedback
September 12, 2013 at 7:44AM   
Paint the bookcase the same color as the walls so it disappears and the place doesn't get overwhelmed with furniture.

Three options for runners from Ikea:
September 12, 2013 at 9:02AM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
I agree, GA - paint it in.
September 12, 2013 at 9:14AM     
maria_scazzero
Great thanks where is that black and white runner from
September 12, 2013 at 2:25PM   
maria_scazzero
Ikea never mind i see
September 12, 2013 at 2:25PM   
quixie
I like the idea of the bookshelves and the wall matching, but you could put a twist on it by painting the insides of the shelves and the wall areas behind it another color.
September 12, 2013 at 4:09PM   
quixie
Area rugs, the space where the light hits things, trim, define space as much as furniture. In a small space do you really want to allocate an area to "hallway" with a runner? Since you have bookcases at the end of the hall and the kitchen, what about a fold down table and some wall envelopes and go "office"? You could find a small doormat, put up a key holder and skip the runner. Just ideas. These are just brainstorms.
September 12, 2013 at 4:17PM   
quixie
Just curious, what is the shower curtain for in the kitchen? Are in an old school NYC place or is for something besides a shower?
September 12, 2013 at 4:20PM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
Thank you! Heres a pic
It looks great
September 13, 2013 at 4:21PM     
maria_scazzero
My second question

Kitchen. I want to do
Black and white theme with yellow accent. On my kitchen walls where should i paint the whole thing? Just the ceiling? I have all my black accessories? Also these are the curtains i have ? Can i still coordinate yellow black and white with it.
September 13, 2013 at 4:24PM   
girlfrommarz
I would leave it as is and just add the yellow accessories. Are you able to remove the doors entering the kitchen? Or paint them?
September 13, 2013 at 5:28PM   
maria_scazzero
I can paint them remember the green bookshelf will be going next to the door.i want yellow thene

i already bought black appliances when you say yellow accessories what do you mean i do not like the curtains what do you think the grey ones
September 13, 2013 at 5:52PM     
maria_scazzero
Please let me know what you think
September 13, 2013 at 10:11PM   
rastabird
Maria, how have you managed to make it this far in life? Please try try try to think for yourself. Start with small steps, today make one decision on your own, then make another tomorrow. Soon it will come easier and bring great satisfaction. Good luck.
September 13, 2013 at 10:56PM     
geoellen
Maria:Yellow with grey is big right now.Grey is real popular with any color.Dont limit yourself with the colors.I really like the green your doing and painting the small bookcase was nice.I LOVE the Zipper rug it is sooo fun and youthful.Dont forget to have fun with your decorating.Be careful of being too much lemon and lime in your home.But as long as you love it and it says"Maria"when friends and family walk in ,its perfect. Maybe consider bringing in other colors with a large multi color rug in living room/bedroom area.Then hit a resale shop or goodwill to pick up inexpensive items you can paint to make them your own.I have a friend that found a 1970's owl lamp in brown yellow and green then painted it shiney chrome color.Also took antique ceramic birds and painted them to match the bedroom colors.All look awesome.Any spraypaint will work I was told.Just think as you move forward "CAN I LIVE IN THIS EVERY DAY".I love to see brightly colored walls and rooms but they would be too much for me every day.I chose light grey walls bringing in the bright colors with accessories.I am using orange as my main accent color with small pieces of aqua blue and white and neon green.Every room echos the same colors in defferent ways to unify the look and feel.Decorate with what you love!!!(be it color,style,textures)
September 14, 2013 at 7:07AM   
geoellen
If you have favorite photos you could turn them black and white(enlarge) to tie in more of the grey(curtains).Speaking of the curtains,If you cant find something you love you can always hit the fabric store(wash material before hanging)Use a wire line and clip hoops like Groveraxle showed in photo.I believe Ikea sells the wire hanger.Also World Market I think.Or just use regular round curtain hanger.You can pick up a fabric glue at the material store too for a hem if you don't sew.I found sheer material with same color flowers all over it I love the added texture for my room.Happy hunting.
September 14, 2013 at 7:28AM   
maria_scazzero
I have to put a carpet down in this area by my closet because of the apartment policy any suggestions on color? I want it to match my polka dot rug in the living room. PS it looks great so far
September 17, 2013 at 10:51AM   
maria_scazzero
Updated photos the green came out great!! I will be taking other pictures of the apartment today so i can get your feedback.
September 18, 2013 at 6:33AM     
maria_scazzero
Also i will post pictures of updated stuff in my apartment today. I am still struggling with a couple of things and i have been doing alot of reasearch on my own

Kitchen
I got a white table and a white chair. I was thinking of yellow accessories such as a yellow clock and yellow cushions for the chairs and a yellow and grey mat for the kitchen. Also a black and white cool photo i have keep it simple. This to all go with my grey and white curtains
September 18, 2013 at 6:37AM     
maria_scazzero
Let me know your thoughts
September 18, 2013 at 6:37AM   
Virtus Design
Look forward to seeing the updated photos Maria!
September 18, 2013 at 8:50AM   
quixie
If your curtain rods are wood maybe you could paint them a matching yellow. I like the gray because it will give you privacy.
September 18, 2013 at 7:09PM   
maria_scazzero
I need to move my desk into my living room because i need a workspace and it cant be near my bed any thoughts also i need to put a tablecloth or something over it any thoughts on color

2.my kitchen table
I hate it
Iam
Not sure
If
I should paint it all yellow or just the chairs or put yellow cushions down etc??? Help
September 19, 2013 at 4:59PM   
maria_scazzero
Here it is please give me feedback
September 19, 2013 at 5:02PM   
Go back to the floorplan I gave you eons ago. I'm attaching it again below. Try the kitchen table by the window instead of in that little nook. And try your desk near the entry.

The living area is looking good. I like the Expedit and I love that black and white rug.
September 19, 2013 at 9:01PM   
maria_scazzero
I cannot put it by the window then it blocks the refrigerator and bottom pantry cabinets
September 19, 2013 at 9:16PM   
maria_scazzero
2.my kitchen table
I hate it
Iam
Not sure
If
September 19, 2013 at 9:17PM   
maria_scazzero
Here the frig is by the window and next to the window are pantry cabinets that from the floor to the ceiling. I cannot put table there. I thought of painting legs if table yellow and getting black cushions for seats what do you think?
September 19, 2013 at 9:23PM   
I suspect the paint won't stick well. Get these chair pads instead: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Squared-Black-Yellow-Floral-Outdoor-Seat-Cushion/6507300/product.html

Throw a yellow tablecloth on top, a vase of flowers, or funky salt and pepper shakers, and you're done.
September 19, 2013 at 10:23PM   
girlfrommarz
Are you able to change the kitchen nobs? Something like this is an easy change and will update the kitchen a lot. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50138750/
September 20, 2013 at 7:15AM     
maria_scazzero
I cant add knobs? Any more ideas on kitchen if i do yellow tableclothes can i do black cushions for chairs? Yellow gets dirty easily i thought yellow cushions on chair an adhesive gray pattern or black for top of kitchen table let me know please!

Also in my living room im changing the lampshades because their off white and everything else is white i thought of doing the pink on this chair, and indigo and grey and green throw cushions for couch
September 20, 2013 at 12:47PM   
karemore55
Maria, It looks like you should have gone with a 36" high bar type table in the kitchen. Since it is right beside the sink, it could double as prep space, or a spot to set dirty dishes while you are preparing meals or whatever. Is it too late to return it?
September 20, 2013 at 7:32PM     
maria_scazzero
September 20, 2013 at 7:40PM   
geoellen
Maria be careful with the kitchen looking too bumblebee.I really liked the chair pillows groveraxle showed you.They look dark enough to hide some dirt. In the living room are you talking solids or matching tone prints.Love the chair but put pink on or near the sofa too to tie them together.I would do one print w/ pink somewhere in it to tie the sofa to the chair.
September 21, 2013 at 1:18AM   
geoellen
You could also find a body pillow and a pillow caser in pink(or die white one pink) and add some sort of adornment to the pillowcase,You could use fabric glue to add beading etc. in another color or add some sort of bow material gluing it to the pillowcase.Use this for the sofa in the middle.Etsy probably has tons of samples for regular pillows that could be adapted to larger pillow.That way you tie the chair and sofa together.You could put the other pillows next to it.You could also print a saying on it with fabric paint using multiple colors like on wall art.
September 21, 2013 at 1:28AM   
maria_scazzero
I am talking either solid or print for pillows. I dont like the pillow pads to floral for me. Iam going to try some more modern looking ones with that colors . Can you give me an example of the pillows your talking about or of the type of prints thAt would look good.
September 23, 2013 at 6:10PM   
maria_scazzero
I can return table and iam going to try to find a high bar table
September 23, 2013 at 6:13PM     
quixie
Is there a way you could find Sconces that would adhere in a temporary form and use them instead of the lamps? Also, could you use pendant lighting? It would save space. Different wattage between the two could make the difference between a bright light on a rainy day and warm lighting in the evening.
September 23, 2013 at 7:10PM   
geoellen
Maria,I really liked the pillow pads shown since they are a modern twist to a floral.I was surprised I liked them since I am not a floral person either.As to Quixies sconce idea,Ikea has the wall lights that plug into the sockets which have the ability to switched out at will.You could even go to a place like Office Depot or Staples to have a photo transferred to an overhead film and insert it and whala you have a photo light.(GYLLAN wall lamp and GYLLAN panel) It is not shown in the current flier online but they use to have several different designs in the store,including just a plain clear glass and frosted glass.They would look nice on either side of the sofa or you could break it up around the room by putting one of these with a lamp on the other side and placing the other across the room.Ive been told that there are also track lighting that you can plug in.I see it looks like you don't have an overhead socket to get brighter lighting in there or maybe the photo just seems dark.check out kable lighting @ 1stoplighting.com.I plan on using it in my home very soon.I cannot do recessed lighting and this seems to be the next best thing.I don't really think you will get much light from typical sconces as they are typicly used as accent lighting.I tried to copy some pillows and other things but still cant seem to get it right.But if you go through some of the Houzz ideas and pintrest you might find what I am talking about.
September 23, 2013 at 10:24PM   
maria_scazzero
Can you give me an example of what your talking about with the picturrs
I get the light
September 24, 2013 at 3:28AM   
maria_scazzero
I looked at a bunch of throw pillows these were the ones i liked give me your thoughta
September 24, 2013 at 3:57AM   
maria_scazzero
Here are a couple more
September 24, 2013 at 3:58AM   
maria_scazzero
Last 3 these are pillows going on green couch
September 24, 2013 at 3:59AM   
maria_scazzero
Last ones
September 24, 2013 at 4:01AM   
maria_scazzero
Iast one
September 24, 2013 at 4:02AM   
quixie
These are not orange based reds. Your idea book showed you loved orange! What happened?
September 24, 2013 at 5:32AM   
quixie
You need to cover your windows with shades or backed drapes or both that will insulate.
You should use the built in closet.
You should ask someone if they will store your current furniture for free.
Sometimes wall dividers need to be bolted to the wall. Do you know how to do that? Are you allowed to do that?
Are you allowed to paint?
Will you have to paint over what your done when you move out?
Do not cover A/C units, or base boards, radiators etc...
Do not cover outlets until you think about what time of day or night you will need lighting, where you will need it, if you will be using an extension cord, light switch or plug your light source in at that socket.
Think Vertical in small spaces.
In your idea book you marked www.engineeryourspace.com/more-diy-tips
Dwolm001 is decorating her apartment in Japan. Check out her discussion. You might find some great ideas there!
https:wwww.photos1984281/by-Jodi-Feinhor-Dennis-modern-kitchen-denver
If you have already painted and plan to paint more with other colors use the same brand paint.
September 24, 2013 at 5:50AM   
quixie
Check out my idea book's shelves section, consoles, and tables. I reorganized them for you and put some notes at the top.
September 24, 2013 at 7:08AM   
maria_scazzero
I am new to this so when i look at
Colors of pillows do i search for orange or
Put in orange based red.
September 24, 2013 at 7:15AM   
maria_scazzero
I will get the chair cushions i am going to look at your idea book ita under your profile right.can you give me some suggestions for how to look for pillows?
September 24, 2013 at 7:19AM   
maria_scazzero
September 24, 2013 at 7:19AM   
maria_scazzero
I know everyone must be tierd of responding to this discussion. I am frusturated because I am still looking for pillows for my couch and have been unsuccessful. I have been looking and looking. I cant seem to find anything that I think works.

Everyone suggestions I have used them and also done research on my own as well. THe pillows I picked out need to go with the other chair i have in my living room. that why it is pink based not red. Its like a venetian red. Someone please give me some help with this. I am really frusturated about it. I ordered the chair cushions. Mrs. Karen more and Groveraxle can you please help me!!! You guys have been great
September 25, 2013 at 11:16AM   
maria_scazzero
Everyone has been great!!!
September 25, 2013 at 11:17AM   
maria_scazzero
I liked the striped one on the top from overstock will that clash with the rest of my living room furniture
September 25, 2013 at 11:26AM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Have you tried Pier One or World Market? Also, Target and Wayfair.
September 25, 2013 at 12:13PM   
If I get you right, you're trying to choose pillows to go with that print Henriksdal chair. So...pick one from column A and as many as you like from column B.

Because your chair cover is busy, you have to be careful with the patterns in your pillows. Any plain or textured pillow in one of the colors in the chair will work.
September 25, 2013 at 2:52PM     
quixie
I like comfy pillows. The texture and smooshability are important to me. There need to be various sizes so I can layer them. I am not cool. Most people these days buy multiple pillows the same color and Karate chop them in the middle. I'm no most people. I say get what feels like you!! And don't be pressured into something expensive. You can wait awhile until you find something you love! How is the new bar table working out? I thought that was a great decision!
September 27, 2013 at 10:51AM     
maria_scazzero
Here is an updated picture of my couch i love the cushions iam going to change the green on my couch.

1. What color tablecloth pleas see pic
I thought maybe an indigo

2. The kitchen i found an awesome area rug now iam just looking for a nice yellow tablecloth for my kitchen. I love everything and iam also using my own taste to. Any suggestions on yellow tablecloth i have been looking no luck maybe a shower curtain instead as a tablecloth?
I ordered the floral cushions from overstock. Thanks everyone
Can i put on my desk
October 3, 2013 at 11:13AM   
Go to the fabric store and buy a couple of yards of a fabric you like. Get someone who sews to hem the edges or do it yourself with an iron and Stitch Witchery.
October 3, 2013 at 12:59PM   
maria_scazzero
Where did you get that fabric ? The pattern you haveup
October 3, 2013 at 4:15PM   
maria_scazzero
I love that fabric iam
Going to get it. The chair cushions came today they are great!!! I love them... Will that tablecloth go with the cushions i got the floral ones? Yeah i think so
October 3, 2013 at 9:05PM   
maria_scazzero
Should i use that tablecloth in the kitchen
Or a solid yellow? Any thoughts?

2. Please any more suggestions or comments on couch. I want to put different color sleeves on arms of couch and different pillow covers on the 2 large pillows any thoughts?
October 3, 2013 at 9:08PM   
There is so much stuff on your couch, we can't even see it. I think its color is fine. In fact, the whole apartment was designed around it, so I don't see why you would change it now.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to coordinate the pillows with, but it seems to me you need more green. Right now you just have random colors--red and turquoise--that don't appear anywhere else. If you want more help with pillows, give us a photo of the whole room with all the furniture so we can see what's actually there.
October 4, 2013 at 10:13AM     
maria_scazzero
Okay will do! My apartment is mostly done i just want to thank everyone so much for all of their help !!!! My new apartment is amazing because of your help!!!!! Thank you!!!!!! I love it!!! I also have learned about myself and what i like which is sleek modern simple and sharp!
October 4, 2013 at 8:04PM   
maria_scazzero
Here is pics of my living room help with cushions
Here is updated pics of my bedroom and kitchen
October 5, 2013 at 2:44PM   
maria_scazzero
1. Living room- please give me some suggestions on decorating the walls? As far as pictures and stuff

2. Please help me pick out wall decorations for bedroom. Please give me feedback on what other accessories i can add to bookshelf to spruce it up

3. Please help me with finding pictures or decorations for when you come in where the two grey rugs are

2.ont oFr
October 5, 2013 at 2:47PM   
maria_scazzero
More pics please give me your feedback
October 5, 2013 at 2:49PM   
maria_scazzero
Updated pics of closet
October 5, 2013 at 2:50PM   
maria_scazzero
Living room- any suggestions on two lampshades beside bed looks so plain. I dont like them inwant something different shades

Cushions- i need to still pick out living room cushions i like the black and white and light green any suggestions

Bookshelf- what color cubes and what else can i use to spruce it up
What else can i put on it to spruce it up
October 5, 2013 at 2:53PM   
maria_scazzero
I cant wait to hear feedback!!!!!
October 5, 2013 at 5:29PM   
maria_scazzero
Grover, karenmore
Geollen thank you!!! Quin too please tell me what you think
October 5, 2013 at 5:30PM   
For the living room: some boxes or baskets in rusty red and green for the Expedit, art over the sofa.
http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/the-valley-of-gold,jl0120045/?s=9QCQ9VFEHB3746CUUDODZua562wthm64kmbtcCa41h7oKyDbOct1kIoGNwkI

For the bedroom: a beefier lamp-- http://www.wayfair.com/All-the-Rages-Modern-Table-Lamp-ATRG1098.html --and maybe a wall decal behind the bed. I like the birch trees: http://www.wallsneedlove.com/birch-forest/#.UlDEnCiXrfg
October 5, 2013 at 7:19PM        Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
I love the art work i will just have to find something cheaper

how about cushions? Any suggestions?

Do you like the green and red cushions?

Living room
Lamps- what do you think? Should i change it? My thought is the lamp shades are so bland?
October 5, 2013 at 8:46PM   
I like the cushions, but I might go more rust than red. Wait on the lamp shades till you get your artwork.

This picture from Ikea (or any of their similar ones) would look good, but I think they might be too big. They're 55" wide.
October 5, 2013 at 8:53PM   
maria_scazzero
Would you keep green cushion and get solid rusty cushion cover or one with pattern?
October 5, 2013 at 9:41PM   
maria_scazzero
As far as paintings i should be looking for something with green. Rusty red, and black and grey
October 6, 2013 at 7:08AM   
OK, look. Find your art before you do anything else. Then key all your accessories off the art.

IF you were to buy the painting I show below, the Ikea pillow in the upper left of the pic looks like a suitable color. Of course, you can't know for sure without seeing it in person. Here's a trick: when you have your art, take a picture on your phone. Use that photo in the store to help you match your colors.

The magazine holders below are also from Ikea. They are $2 for a pack of 5. You can buy a mess of them and spray paint them. If you have green left over from spraying your bookcase, use that. Then get a can of red/rust/terracotta--whatever red goes best with your pillow and art.
October 6, 2013 at 8:28AM     
Art is expensive. There are no two ways around it. But remember, it's something you're going to look at every day, so you have to decide what it's worth to you.

If this were my room, I'd probably select the painting above, or the first one below. It's a Paul Klee giclee, and its framed price is $244.

The second rendering below is of a pair of canvases from World Market; $80 for both. I like them, but I think they're a little small. Your art should be about 2/3 to 3/4 as wide as your sofa. Measure before you buy.
October 6, 2013 at 9:01AM      Thanked by maria_scazzero
maria_scazzero
what is the name of that painting I looked for it and could not find it
October 6, 2013 at 6:26PM   
maria_scazzero
I love the first one. I will buy it as bday present to myself
October 6, 2013 at 6:26PM   
maria_scazzero
I tried to find the paul mcgilee
But was unable too.can you give me the name of the painting
October 7, 2013 at 9:10PM   
maria_scazzero
I really have been looking at pictures and i like metal wall art for my living room by my couch please give some feedback on these
Me your opinion
October 9, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Whatever floats your boat...

The last one is way too small. The third one is a bit too small and disappears. The second one is not a great shape for over your sofa. So that leaves the first one. Looks about the right size. If you love it, go for it. Remember, you will be looking at it every day.
October 9, 2013 at 4:23PM   
I'd go with one of the big Ikea canvases and maybe get some funky lamp shades.
October 9, 2013 at 4:49PM     
lysander2
I have read this entire thread ... do you EVER make any decisions for yourself ?!!
October 10, 2013 at 8:25AM     
Shop Ikea for ideas and furn. If you have a green love seat, then stay in that color tone. A soft gray always works, for walls. Using wall units as dividers work to define rooms. Also area rugs. Keep it contemporary and simple. No clutter.
October 10, 2013 at 8:31AM     
travis, you need to read threads before you comment. At least skim them. She is already way beyond what you suggested.
October 10, 2013 at 10:56AM     
karemore55
@groveraxle, Good job - she's getting there!
October 10, 2013 at 11:06AM   
Budget My Build
I agree with Quality Components, a wall bed or hidden bed could be ideal for your space, or perhaps even a storage bed. This blog may be helpful. http://budgetmybuild.co/design-budget/budgeting-bedroom-furniture-space/
October 10, 2013 at 11:15AM   
Thanks, karemore (or, as Maria calls you, Karenmore).
October 10, 2013 at 2:52PM     
karemore55
Groveraxle, LOL!
October 10, 2013 at 4:52PM     
karemore55
Groveraxle, Btw, are we ever going to see what you look like behind those glasses??
October 10, 2013 at 4:53PM   
maria_scazzero
Karemore can you give me your feedback on the pictures
I posted what do you think? I love the decal for my bed!!
October 10, 2013 at 5:10PM   
karemore55
I assume you mean the metal wall art and the picture possibilities? I'm liking the B&W W pic best because it brings some black into the room to connect with the rug. Plus, you don't want to get carried away with the red and green too much or the place will look a bit comical (for lack of a better word - I think my blood sugar is getting low and my brain is going weird here). I also like the new and different lamp shades because they are fun and original, and will give your apt. a little more personality. Everything in here is looking good, but you don't want it looking like it came out of an Ikea catalogue.

Which brings me to - groveraxle, where did the lamp shades come from? I suppose you're going to say Ikea!

It's all coming together really nicely, Maria. With a little help from your friends hey?
October 10, 2013 at 5:29PM     
Not Ikea, karemore. Etsy for the lamp shades. I love the one on the left. It's comics frames.
October 10, 2013 at 7:48PM   
And here I am without my glasses, karemore. Handsome boy, don't you think?
October 10, 2013 at 7:52PM     
karemore55
Oh my, what a big tongue you have, groveraxle! All the better to eat peanut butter with, My Dear?
October 10, 2013 at 8:35PM   
karemore55
Actually, groveraxle, he's a real cutie! Is he a beagle? I have a bichon/shih tzu myself. Btw, that small pattern I detect in the background - is that an Ikea print, kind of like Maria's chair cover?
October 10, 2013 at 8:40PM   
maria_scazzero
I love the lamp shades i am going to look for some
Black and white photos and get back to you guys and show you what i find. Im learning what i like:)
October 10, 2013 at 8:45PM   
karemore55
Yes you are, Maria. Your next apt. will be a cakewalk!
October 10, 2013 at 8:47PM   
maria_scazzero
I want to put a mirror above the couch instead of pictures any suggestions. Also on the flowered chair wall i will put pictures. Grover can you send me the link for etsy lamp shades i was looking but could not find them
October 16, 2013 at 8:16PM   
maria_scazzero
October 17, 2013 at 4:01AM   
maria_scazzero
I was thinking this mirror over my couch and turning it sideways like the long way
October 17, 2013 at 4:04AM   
maria_scazzero
What do you think of mirror over couch guys give me feedback
October 18, 2013 at 7:58PM   
What will the mirror reflect? The closet? Is that what you want to see over your sofa?
October 18, 2013 at 8:02PM   
karemore55
Maria, I'm curious to know why you don't want pictures over the sofa. Or have you just not found pics you like yet?
October 18, 2013 at 9:02PM     
maria_scazzero
When you walkin you see the ugly green wicker next to s filing cabinet. It doesnt look pleasing to the eye any suggestions

2.I thought about mirror because i
Liked the way they look over couches. Im going to keep looking for picturrs it would just help me to know what colors to look fof

3.on the side next to the couch i also wanted to put pictures up

4. I ordered the decall birth for my room.! So excited

5.My living room. Jusg. Feels dead snd lifeless
October 20, 2013 at 12:03AM   
maria_scazzero
I nave beedn looking but no luck
October 20, 2013 at 12:03AM   
Snaggy
If this was my flat I would have had 2 of the shelf units and had the bed where the settee is and made walls with the units like a little bedroom and had the sitting room the other end !
October 20, 2013 at 11:41AM   
karemore55
Maria, Go to fineartamerica.com and have a look at the works by Sharon Cummings. Her prints are not expensive, and I guarantee your room will not feel dull and lifeless with her art on your walls!
October 20, 2013 at 11:51AM     
I lived in a "junior 1-bdrm" flat in DC and I think I see the issues here. When you sleep, you don't need light; therefore you don't need the window in the bedroom portion of the space. When you entertain, you do need light; therefore you need the window end for living space. As Snaggy said, the bedroom needs to go where you have the settee. I used tall shelving units with backs on them to create a sleeping nook right as you came in the entry. The units stood in an "L" and formed a "hallway" to get from the entry to the end where the windows were. You can create more "backs" on your open units by using a staple gun or upholstery tacks to attach cutouts from colorful poster board like groveraxel showed. If that's and IKEA piece they probably have ready-made ones. I see three different rugs, and that's a problem in such a small space. I'd go for three differently patterned black and white ones, maybe. As for a mirror, it must reflect something interesting or beautiful so art would be a better bet for behind the sofa.
October 20, 2013 at 12:02PM     
karemore55
And for the file cupboard you say doesn't look good, go back to Ikea and buy some colorful storage bins and boxes - instant spruce-up. You can mix all these colors and patterns on the one cupboard - it will be more interesting than buying everything in one color.
October 20, 2013 at 12:05PM   
girlfrommarz
I have a really hard time picking art for my home as well. It has taken a long time to pieces up on my walls but I LOVE looking at every piece, they all bring back a memory. Here are ideas of what I have, to give you ideas of what you can look for. We have a large wall that is a collage of small paintings we pick up while traveling, they are in black frames to look cohesive but placed very random on the wall so as we continue to travel we can continue to pick up pieces and find a spot for them. We have a sofa sized print of a iconic thing (bridge but could be anything) from the city where we were living when we met. I took a photo of the view of the lake from my in-laws cabin and asked a local artist to paint it. I took a photo of a city icon, again same city we met, had it blown up and framed it. We also have a sort of abstract painting of the baseball stadium where we have a lot of fun. Think about some things that make you happy, then look for those things, if you can't find them grab a camera and make your own. Oh even something like a map of your favorite city could look good, and when you see it you will think about all the things you love there.
October 20, 2013 at 12:07PM     
karemore55
Decoenthusiaste, these ideas were all tossed out along the way, and the idea of ceiling-mounted curtains surrounding the bed was suggested even. Not sure if Maria just didn't like the ideas or what, and it's such a long thread now it's almost impossible to follow the rationale behind things. Just thought I'd get you caught up!
October 20, 2013 at 12:10PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
I have somewhat followed this thread, but I have to say that I agree with Snaggy and Decoenthusiaste: I don't know why you want your living area away from the window and the bed next to it. I have thought from the start that this is an odd layout. It wouldn't take much, other than the purchase of another cubby unit, to do this. If you attached an actual curtain rod to the back of the cubby parallel to the window, you could open and close your bedroom "curtains" as needed - open with no company, closed with.
October 20, 2013 at 12:16PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
Hmmm, I was basing my previous comment on the very first layout you posted. After looking through this again, if you put your bed sideways against the wall, you could add another cubby unit (one on each end of bed) and - IF you could secure them in some way, add a curtain along the long side. I know that this is opening up a can of worms, but it's a consideration.
October 20, 2013 at 12:23PM     
Snaggy
This girl does not have a lot of faith in her own ideas !
October 20, 2013 at 12:43PM   
FWIW, I just went back and looked at the floor plan and there is really no way to flip the living and bed areas (and keep the bedroom private at Maria's insistence) without turning it into an obstacle course.
October 20, 2013 at 2:14PM   
myhouse1020
Murphy beds are really good for spaces such as this.
October 20, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
Yes, GA, you might be right. Maybe it would be too much furniture sticking out into the room to be comfortable and attractive. It just seems odd to me to have the living area away from the window, but if that's the way it is, that's the way it is. It's kind of an unfortunate layout because there is a lot of wasted space.
October 20, 2013 at 2:42PM   
I never got straight which was the exact floor plan, but I'd want the bath away from the living space and near the bed if it is the green plan first posted. After that one I kinda lost track.
October 20, 2013 at 3:12PM   
karemore55
The floor plan Maria originally posted with her dilemma is not the actual floor plan. So there was much confusion for a long time. Then Fred S came to the rescue and drew what he deduced the plan must be,and I think he got it pretty close. It is what it is - and really the pieces Maria has are all moveable, should she decide to do it differently some day.
October 20, 2013 at 3:22PM     
Frame calendar pictures in inexpensive Ikea frames.
Diy art project: http://www.home-dzine.co.za/crafts/craft-vinyl.htm
October 20, 2013 at 3:23PM     
maria_scazzero
I will look
At all of these pictures and choose which one i like.
Thank you everyone

As far as the rugs go should i take
Out the grey rug near my door near my closet and just add two of the same rugs that i have in my living room
October 23, 2013 at 2:25AM   
maria_scazzero
Karemore are you saying add green and pink
To the wicker thing im confused.i want to
Get rid
Of it and buy something that has open and closed shelf space. I would like something that tall any suggestions
October 23, 2013 at 2:28AM   
karemore55
Maria, I'm not sure how wide that space is, but you could try the Billy bookcase with doors, which is 31 1/2" wide. If that's too wide, you could try Expedit single unit which is 17 1/2" wide, and then use cloth tote bins from Ikea for the "closed" storage.
October 23, 2013 at 2:40AM   
maria_scazzero
I need a comfortable stylish office chair any suggestions? Also in my living room
I need a another lamp
Not enough light any suggestions

Also i need another side table for my labtop for when i work in the living room
October 28, 2013 at 6:25PM   
Not sure why you need another side table when you're not using the ones you have now. Get yourself a lap desk and keep it on the small table next to the Poang chair.

You haven't got enough space for another lamp in the space. Indeed, three lamps is more than enough. If you need more light, replace some of your bulbs with higher wattage compact fluorescents. Do not exceed the wattage on the lamps. But if you replaced a 60 W incandescent with a 40 W fluorescent, you would more than double your light.
October 28, 2013 at 9:13PM     
Years ago I tried out one of these bungee chairs and swore I had to have one someday. Then I somehow inherited a bunch of office chairs and never got it. Go sit in one and see if you fall in love:
October 28, 2013 at 9:17PM     
karemore55
@groveraxle, You say these bungee chairs are super comfortable? Because I could use another chair in our den. Will try googling the source - or you could just tell me where I might source them!
October 28, 2013 at 9:57PM   
geoellen
Maria,what is the wattage of the lamps? Perhaps the shades are too thick to allow proper light through.You might think of using "up lights" they sit on the floor,just make sure you buy the type that doesn't get too hot.Many decorators use them for accent lighting but maybe it would add enough light for you.
October 29, 2013 at 3:18AM     
karemore, the bungee chair is everywhere. Here are some: http://www.containerstore.com/shop?showDS=true&Ns=default&Ntt=bungee+chair&submit=

You'll have to do your homework though because they come in many styles and prices and I don't know what the differences are. I sat in one in a modern furniture store years ago and I didn't want to leave.
October 29, 2013 at 3:44AM   
karemore55
@groveraxle, Thanks. I'm in Canada, and no longer in a big city even, and would definitely want to try it out first. Maybe on a trip back to Calgary... Thanks again!
October 29, 2013 at 9:43AM   
maria_scazzero
Thanx i love the bungee chairs. My lightbulbs are 40
Watts.
October 31, 2013 at 11:14PM   
Change them to 40 W compact fluorescents and you'll have more light than you can stand.
November 1, 2013 at 7:46AM   
geoellen
Maria Only 2- 40 watt no wonder you cant see girl. Go get some real lighting that take 60-100 watt
I find it too dark w/ 2 60watt in my smaaaaaaall living room.I cant imagine it in yours with less than 100w(whole apt).Your paper floor light is decorative, not really a usefull lighting fixture.
I hope the 40w compact works for you but were still too dim for me.Love the backing behind the shelving idea.(I know you nixed the idea earlier on though)
November 2, 2013 at 7:15PM   
geoellen
Maria.Did you not like any of the larger Ikea photos of the city.Some even have certain buildings in dif colors. Do you have any family or friend photos which could be enlarged for over the sofa.You can customise colors via a computer then go to the nearest office copy store to have it enlarged. I have one of me and my 2 brothers in front of my Aunts house about age 6 and we look like an early version of the mod squad(I kept it small though.).Like stated by the others b4, find something that makes you happy when u see it every day.Ikea has multiple shades in prints and colors as well,but maybe you didn't consider them when you were there the last time.I really like the brighter colors groveraxle added to the shelving area too.It really brightened the area up.So glad you got the birch for the bedroom(I love it too)
and maybe they have something for the living area as well,did you happen to check out the entire site? The more changes you make the less modern it looks to me.Mirror over sofa is something done in much less modern homes that ive seen. I cant wait to see where you end up.Happy hunting :)
November 2, 2013 at 8:48PM   
jpp221
I haven't read all the comments, but have you considered a Murphy bed? Had one in my last place, and loved it. Worked great, extremely comfortable, and frankly, folding it up and down was easier than making the bed.
November 2, 2013 at 10:43PM   
maria_scazzero
Please tell
Me which
Paintings you like
For over the couch . My couch is 87 inches wide in the back
November 3, 2013 at 12:01AM   
geoellen
I like the lightness of being it has the green and other colors(orange and reds with yellow tossed in.
November 3, 2013 at 12:30AM   
chookchook2
Very important to have what you yourself love in yr first home. When you have another half and kids you will have to please them.
November 3, 2013 at 1:17AM   
maria_scazzero
Grover can you photo shop it in to see what it would like in the apartment with this picture
November 3, 2013 at 10:41PM   
November 4, 2013 at 7:01AM   
maria_scazzero
I like it what do you guys think i am just wondering if I need something taller to take up the space more? Any thoughts
November 4, 2013 at 8:56PM   
maria_scazzero
I like this one to for back of couch. This would look nice with two lamp shades as well
November 4, 2013 at 9:10PM   
maria_scazzero
What do you guys think
November 5, 2013 at 8:37AM   
maria_scazzero
I have always like graffiti art

I was thinking of the yellow and blue for my kitchen painting

The black and white one track picture for my bathroom

The other to go over my couch give me your thoughts
November 5, 2013 at 8:54AM   
Personally, I don't care for the yellow and blue. I don't find it beautiful or interesting. The others I like. But this is art that you will look at every day, so you must pick what YOU love.

That said, I have drawn a green rectangle above your couch. The is the approximate size and shape your artwork should have. You can do it with one large piece in landscape orientation, two smaller portrait-oriented pieces, or a collection of small pieces in a gallery-wall format.

Only you can decide what you want to see on the walls.
November 5, 2013 at 9:19AM   
A couple of photoshops, one canvas and two:
November 5, 2013 at 9:43AM     
maria_scazzero
Where did you get that pic you posted its
So nice i love it
November 5, 2013 at 7:38PM   
maria_scazzero
If i do the one picture can I still get the light green funky lamp shades
November 5, 2013 at 8:01PM   
maria_scazzero
The ones you found on etsy can i use them
Still
November 6, 2013 at 9:27PM   
maria_scazzero
Any suggestions on what to add here i was thinking a yellow clock or black and white
Photos

This is my kitchen

2.this is a lamp
In the living
Room
I want
To put a chandelier fixture instead
Of this light give me your thoughts

3.the silver shelf picture is in my bathroom i was thinking black and white pics Would look nice on the walls
4.light switch covers i thought of getting different light switch covers like these let know your thoughts
November 6, 2013 at 9:33PM   
maria_scazzero
Light switch cover and bathroom
November 6, 2013 at 9:34PM   
maria_scazzero
Light switch covers i like
November 6, 2013 at 9:37PM   
IMO, switchplates should be as unobtrusive as possible, but you should do what you want.

As for the lamps, choose your art, hang it, then see what you want to do with for lamp shades.

Black and white pictures can go pretty much anywhere, so that's probably a good choice for the bathroom.
November 7, 2013 at 7:57AM   
maria_scazzero
I love this one Grover can you photo shop it in so I can see how it looks
November 8, 2013 at 9:12PM   
maria_scazzero
Grover what color is the birch tree decal you picked my wall is an off white I couldn't figure out what color you used in the photo shop
November 8, 2013 at 9:40PM   
maria_scazzero
Guys I found a piece of art I love give me your comments
November 8, 2013 at 9:48PM   
maria_scazzero
1.on the adjacent wall in my living room i want to put something any suggestions
2.i want to put decal in my kitchen i am doing yellow,grey, black scheme i like wall decall please give me some suggestions
November 8, 2013 at 11:20PM   
maria_scazzero
For my bathroom i want to add decal it
Looks so dead and also their is a small wardrobe room that leads to my bathroom
I want to touch up and add some decal around the mirror
November 8, 2013 at 11:21PM   
maria_scazzero
I ordered a painting i loved for the living room which is posted i also downloaded photo shop so incan start doing more pf the work on my own. If you could give
Me some advice on the other stuff
I posted
November 9, 2013 at 12:02PM   
maria_scazzero
Hey guy can you please respond
November 9, 2013 at 6:11PM   
geoellen
You said you already ordered the tree decal,why wonder about color now?Go back to the site to see what colors are available and what other decals they have.Pretty much everyone is selling some sort of reusable decals now.Target,walmart etc. check out wallwords.com maybe a poem or phrase for kitchen on the wall above cabinets.Bathroom mirror/maybe take a narrow piece of lattice(floor to ceiling) and paint it then place hooks on it to put towels n robes.(or even shelves for decorative storage or to showcase cute items)This would add interest to the area.Have you tried your photo shop yet?I like the last photo you said you liked give it a try.I like the photos that are the width of the sofa the best.Be sure you hang it high enough that people aren't hitting it when they put their heads back when sitting on the sofa.Perhaps the other ladies know the "proper"height to place it over the furniture.I haven't had any ides that hit your fancy but maybe they will help spark your own creativity.
November 10, 2013 at 9:33PM     
chookchook2
I remember my first flat in the 1980s:- white wicker, pine, small florals and fold out sofa for guests, and all in the dead centre of town - opposite the cemetery!! Ah you take me back, Maria.
November 11, 2013 at 4:11AM   
Snaggy
This whole flat has been designed by houzz !
November 11, 2013 at 4:32AM     
maria_scazzero
What do you guys thik of the painting i ordered
November 11, 2013 at 6:16PM   
maria_scazzero
Geollen the lettering for the kitchen in black on top or yellow background black words on top

The mirror love your idea could i put some gold decal around it would go

For the corner i want to replace my filing cabinet with a large blAck vase and whitr sticks coming out
November 11, 2013 at 6:54PM   
geoellen
Maria, which ever way you would like the lettering to be would be fine.For me I would go black lettering with yellow background so you don't darken the space too much.If you don't use your file cabinet doing the vase is fine.But there is already a lot of b&w there with the screen,maybe if you add 1 or 2 sticks w/ green and or pink etc(colors in home). but the rest stay white. (of sticks)with the white ones, that are in the home it will tie it together and add visual interest.,I might keep the file cabinet if you need storage though(blankets ets.) You could maybe use it in your closet for shoes or something.Or paint it another color your using in the home and set the vase w/ sticks on top of it.But be careful you don't want it to start looking cluttered.
November 11, 2013 at 7:32PM   
geoellen
Maria, almost forgot to mention,you could also use the chalkboard paint over the kitchen cabinets.You can now do just about any color and it would allow you to change out the phrases more often too ,great for special occasions.
November 11, 2013 at 7:37PM   
maria_scazzero
I have a dilemma i was given a lamp that gives off the solid black one with three bulbs help!!!
So much light in my living room i dont know where
To
Put it. I also have three other living
Room
Lamps that i need to rearrange and get rid of at least one. Help!!!!
November 13, 2013 at 7:11PM   
geoellen
If all 3 independant of ea. other,you don't have to use all 3 lights at once and could direct each lamp in dif. directions.I might also paint the black a brighter color or color to match the other lamp legs.I would put it where you have the paper floor lamp and move the smallest side table next to that chair.Too many in that corner.Place the foot stool under that table or put the stacking tables under ea. other if you are using the stool for a coffee table.If you want the brighter light for when guests come I would keep it and move the paper floor lamp.Until you get your pillows and painting the sofa looking like a black hole(in photo at least).I would not add any more black elements.I love how the chair pad pops the color into the room,so far that's my favorite thing in the room.Is this a dif. sofa?I seems less green than the leather like one you showed in the beginning. and has an overstuffed look.
November 14, 2013 at 3:22AM   
Replace one of the matching floor lamps with the black pole lamp. If you have too much light, lower the wattage in your bulbs. Not enough light? Raise the wattage, but DO NOT EXCEED THE WATTAGE STATED ON THE LAMPS.

Put some colorful bins and baskets in that Expedit. Come on, Maria. You can do this. There is no crisis here.

Go back and look at previous Photoshop images I've done for you to get ideas because I am done Photoshopping your room. No more. You are on your own now, Sister. Good luck and have fun.
November 14, 2013 at 9:54AM     
Snaggy
I see her Profile has gone !!
December 6, 2013 at 9:06AM     
karemore55
Weird and weirder! A figment of everyone's imagination?? LOL
December 6, 2013 at 9:41AM     
Snaggy
LOL :)
December 6, 2013 at 10:35AM     
Was it something I said??????
December 6, 2013 at 10:37AM     
Snaggy
You...never ! ; )
December 6, 2013 at 10:45AM     
karemore55
You went above and beyond the call of duty on this one Grover - it was a strange thread from the get-go!
December 6, 2013 at 12:04PM     
loubelou
I actually read this whole thread...OMGoodness!
December 6, 2013 at 12:20PM     
Kathryn Peltier Design
I was wondering how much longer this could go on! I was afraid to post any more because I didn't think I could maintain groveraxle's patience lol!
December 6, 2013 at 3:42PM     
maria_scazzero
I am loving my new apartment.
The white chair i have in the living room is very uncomfortable and I want get a new one that i actually want to sit in. Please give me your suggestions or post pics of styles or chairs i should look at to go in its place. I really like cushy chairs you can sink into isuxhoremxomfoetabletmonsitnint
December 29, 2013 at 8:57PM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
Maria, you are just going to have to go and SIT in chairs to see what you like and what you can get locally for the amount you want to spend. We can recommend all day, but if you can't sit in it, it's of no use.
December 30, 2013 at 6:53AM   
Lower the art so its bottom edge is about 6 inches above the back of the sofa. And throw some colored pillows on the sofa so it doesn't look like a black hole. The room looks cute.
December 30, 2013 at 8:26AM   
maria_scazzero
I wanted some suggestions on how to arrange cubes and photos in my bookshelf
January 4, 2014 at 8:30AM   
maria_scazzero
I got the idea to put pictures in from just magazines and using my own creativity. Please give me some ideas on how i should arrange the frames and cubes so it looks more aesthetically pleasing
January 4, 2014 at 4:53PM   
geoellen
If you have some books lay(1 or 2) some under one or 2 of the pic frames.Too many of the same thing in there.If you have room put 2 small ones together in a box. Put some nick nack items in a couple of them(vase , figurines or candle etc.) What are the wicker baskets for? put one in the upper left one lower right.Then position the 2 black squares to uneven positions also.It looks too level and even.It doesn't make your eyes move to see everything for interest. Of cours you don't have to put them where I said I just want to give you a basic idea.Dont forget the lower portion too.
January 16, 2014 at 5:49PM   
geoellen
P.S. Go back up to Karemore where she has posted pics of some boxes in dif colors/styles something like that will add interest in one or two squares.
January 16, 2014 at 6:00PM   
maria_scazzero
Here is an updated pic of my bookshelf
February 2, 2014 at 10:52AM   
maria_scazzero
Here is an updated pic of my living room i incorporated a lot of your suggestions and my own.thank you i love it

Things to still do
Finish the bookshelf
Change lampshade
February 2, 2014 at 10:54AM   
maria_scazzero
Living room
Update
February 2, 2014 at 10:55AM     
maria_scazzero
Updated living room
February 2, 2014 at 10:56AM   
maria_scazzero
Any suggestion let
Me
Know on anything :) I am going to
Do lampshade orange or light green or maybe cool
Black and white pic on lampshade
February 2, 2014 at 11:05AM   
geoellen
Maria,you've come a long way and it is looking good.I would like to see more length of the sicks(not height)There is something missing for me on that side of the wall.Love the pillows on the sofa and photo too.
February 6, 2014 at 6:06PM   
maria_scazzero
I Agree I was thinking of a cool
Wall decal black and white to go with the rug cool urban background any suggestions i want to do wall decal instead of art
February 13, 2014 at 11:17PM   
geoellen
You need to look at it 24/7 so it needs to be something YOU love to look at.
February 14, 2014 at 3:07AM     
maria_scazzero
When you say more height on sticks what do you mean? I was thibking of getting black vase a shiny one to put the sticks in to have it stand out more
March 16, 2014 at 8:05PM   
geoellen
Not height, length (as in left to right). A wall decal would do the same thing.Make sure to put it at the same height or higher than your sofa photo.Everything you add to the floor plan takes away floor space so if you did a large vase that is fat,it might "clutter up "your space.Here Hobby Lobby,Michaels and other décor stores have sticks weaved together about 2 feet long and only 2inches deep, that is what I was thinking would look nice there.
March 16, 2014 at 8:40PM     
Is this "art" ok for a Bathroom wall for selling a house?
I have a picture I'm thinking of hanging in my bathroom,...
Too much wall space and no inspiration. I need help!!
My husband and I moved into our home over a year ago...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Exterior of Home- husband left and that green needs to go too!
I am in the process of picking colors to repainting...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...