Does this light fixture look right to you?
ecle
Is it too low or just the wrong fixture? I like it but something doesn't seem right about it.
PH Interiors, LLC
It looks too contemporary for this room with those beams, bookcase and other traditional elements. I think height is OK but I'd look at more rustic armed chandeliers.
August 30, 2013 at 11:35AM     
ecle
I have attached a close up picture of the light. Do you still think it's too contemporary?
August 30, 2013 at 11:38AM   
Jen Bua Wynn Interiors, LLC
I recommend moving it so it hangs centered over the seating area... The location is more what's off rather than the style of chandelier
August 30, 2013 at 11:43AM     
ecle
There are actually 2 seating areas across from each other, separated by the woodstove. The light is hanging between the two seating areas. If I hung the light over one seating area, would I need another one for the other seating area? Would that look strange to have 2 chandeliers hanging on opposite sides of the room?
August 30, 2013 at 11:47AM   
charliebeth
If it's a big room, I actually think two chandeliers are a good idea. Since the ceilings are so dark (and I LOVE the beams, by the way) I think you could use more light in there.
August 30, 2013 at 11:52AM     
Jen Bua Wynn Interiors, LLC
Yes it might... more pics would help.
August 30, 2013 at 11:55AM   
Jen Bua Wynn Interiors, LLC
The best locations for a chandelier is hanging over something, ie- coffee table, dining table etc... and can hang a little lower than it is hanging now. Make sure furniture in that room is placed exactly where you like it and then position light. Good luck.
August 30, 2013 at 12:04PM     
Chap De Laine's Interiors
The bowl style doesn't really fit the rustic style of the beams. You should probably have some track lighting in between the beams, where you won't really see it and it doesn't take away from the architectural element of the beams.
August 30, 2013 at 12:27PM     
ecle
Chap de Laine - Can you recommend some good track lighting that looks rustic? There was originally some ugly track lighiting up there but we really did not like the way it lit the room. It was like being under interogation.
August 30, 2013 at 12:30PM   
maherltd
I think the position is off, but I agree it doesn't seem to fit the style of the space. If you love it, consider moving it to another room
August 30, 2013 at 12:31PM   
ecle
I can probably use it in the dining room or just return it. But now I am stuck on how to light this dark living room?
August 30, 2013 at 12:34PM   
anne dee
something like this would be interesting and looks very nice and in keeping with the warm feeling of yr room.

August 30, 2013 at 12:41PM   
ecle
What I am getting from this is that the pendant bowl style of the light is not the best fit for this room. Any other suggestions on what chandliers might look good? Do you think if I got the right style of light that I could still keep it in the middle of the room or would I need 2 over each seating area. I will try to get more pics later.
August 30, 2013 at 12:57PM   
anne dee
this hanging light would suit yr space
Home depot $150 (I don't know yr budget)
August 30, 2013 at 1:01PM   
ecle
Can I get opinions on this one?
August 30, 2013 at 1:25PM     
anne dee
that hanging fixture appears to be in a craftsman style
If that is the look you are trying to achieve then it is an option.
August 30, 2013 at 1:33PM   
Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
I would center it over the seating area/coffee table, as someone already suggested and then use floor lamps and/or table lamps in other places. That makes the one chandelier stand on it's own and makes a statement.
August 30, 2013 at 1:36PM     
taraleigh
What about recessed lighting. That kind of lighting wouldn't take anything away from the beams and you could also put them on a dimmer so the brightness would be up to you.
August 30, 2013 at 1:36PM   
Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
More than likely, they cannot install recessed lighting in this ceiling because of the cathedral ceiling/roof.
August 30, 2013 at 1:42PM   
Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
Just one more comment to add to my one about having only one chandelier; when you combine a chandelier/fan, whatever hanging, if you use floor lamps/table lamps in conjunction with that, it will make the room more welcoming.
August 30, 2013 at 1:43PM     
ecle
Yes, that is exactly right about not being able to install recessed lighting.
August 30, 2013 at 1:47PM   
ecle
Thank you Pamela. You have some good suggestions. Is there any rule about the length of chain hanging in relation to the size of the chandelier? If the chandelier was centered over a coffee table, what is the minimum height it should be above the table/ground?
August 30, 2013 at 1:53PM   
Pamela Foster & Associates, Inc.
Actually, I think there are some "rules"; however, I always like to be in a room and adjust it to the scale of the furniture and room onsite.
August 30, 2013 at 1:56PM   
The lighting can be such a fun way to make a statement. I would hang a couple of these ;)

August 30, 2013 at 2:15PM     
ecle
Here are a few more pics that show the two separate sitting areas.
August 30, 2013 at 2:39PM   
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
12 mm laminate wood flooring vs. engineered wood flooring.
In a duplex we put 12 mm laminate "faux" wood flooring,...
Need help to choose wall tiles and floor tiles! Help please
I have a white shaker kitchen with black and little...
Need help with my living room!!!
I'm not comfortable with my living room layout. I keep...
How to decorate the wall of living room / Dinning Room
Trends: Using some 3D resin crafts decorate the wall...