Need help with this living room
hanoof83
I love this Jonathan Adler rug, but I'm not sure if it would work in this space? I'm also not sure about the color of this room? Please help
amympurser
I think the rug would look great. Good bounce of colour against the wall and mirrors the pattern on the cushions.
0 Likes   Thanked by hanoof83    August 30, 2013 at 11:57AM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....I would stay with the neutral rug, bring a coffee table onto the rug and the white chair on the corner. The wall color is really nice and a wood table would show off flowers, art table books, and sculpture, that would bring the color and also center the room.
0 Likes   September 2, 2013 at 4:17PM
Can you push sofa down so not so much in front of window. Move all furn with it. Add pillows in teal like walls to mix on sofa. Add small pillow in teal to chairs. I would go a print in rug. Alittle smaller. With the cream and a print in teal. Over back of sofa add a big cut glass sunburst mirror 45" doesn't have to be centered. That's why I want you to push sofa dn.
0 Likes   September 2, 2013 at 4:32PM
Not crazy about yellow if they had same in teal would work.
0 Likes   September 2, 2013 at 4:35PM
chemayne
The yellow does not go with the colour palette. The current rug is neutral and makes the room spacious.

If you purchase a coffee table, do not get a square or rectangle. Too many angular furniture pieces already. Soften with modern curves.
1 Like   September 2, 2013 at 4:39PM
indianpatti
If you throw in some orange with the yellow .. it could work
1 Like   September 2, 2013 at 4:50PM
warholsuperstar59
Lovely Room. Keep the neutral rug. Rearrange furniture as per Travis suggestion. Add color with pillows, a throw or artwork.
1 Like   September 2, 2013 at 6:12PM
Jennifer Koper
Its all a matter of what you want the room to feel like, and the type of styles you like.
Getting the bright rug would look great with what you have going now, if you like a more playful, whimsical and vibrant room. It would also be a good idea to consider what indianpatti is saying by adding even more color and pattern for an even more whimsical look (throw pillows, art, coffee table).
What you have now is also very nice and lets the wall color be the star, it just depends what level of "bold" you are comfortable with.

You could go "medium" bold, with a harmonious color palette and just incorporate some more muted and softer teals (basically a softer version of the wall color) into some pillows or accessories or a rug.

If you decide to keep the neutral rug and furnishings then you could also consider toning the wall color down to a more muted and lighter color, which would give you a calmer, softer look.
Even though what you have now, looks great I feel like you should add more punch to make it a cohesive "fun and bright" look (the rug you want + some accessories to tie it all together) OR tone down the wall color because everything else is so light and soft.

The old saying about having a "focal point" or a "star" in the room is true.. you don't want too many things to be stealing the show.. but also if there is only one star on stage it can seem lonely, and I feel like with this wall color its a bit lonely. Its such a bold color and its the only one. Clearly you like color if you chose it, and maybe you are only second guessing it because it needs some more color to make it look like it "fits". Have fun play with it! You have great taste!
0 Likes   September 2, 2013 at 6:20PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I like the colour but the yellow rug doesn't work in this design. You definitely need to tie in the wall colour with a rug with the same colour or else the wall will look out of place.
1 Like   September 2, 2013 at 6:34PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Adding some sort of silver wall decor above the couch would also break up the colour.
1 Like   September 2, 2013 at 6:43PM
purehome
All you need to pull this space together are some burnt orange accessories. This color will complement the teal walls, and bring warmth into your space. You have a gorgeous palette to work with!

Try these: http://www.purehome.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=orange&order=relevance&dir=desc
2 Likes   September 2, 2013 at 6:53PM
aritaxjnhdep
ohhh
0 Likes   September 3, 2013 at 12:18AM
katinahat
love your original room pic but not combined with the yellow carpet. perhaps you're wondering about the room colour because: we see the long wall behind the couch as a wonderful 'pop' of colour whereas the end wall appears much darker and the wall in the foreground darker still. if the 'teal' is approaching the darkest end of the spectrum [like the foreground wall in pic] then the room needs 'lifting' with colour. if it is closer to the 'peacock/turquoise/teal of the long wall it looks great with the neutral tones. all of the comments above have merit depending on the overall look you want
0 Likes   September 3, 2013 at 12:32AM
mefor
I posted this on your original discussion page. I like the combo, I think it's fun.
2 Likes   September 3, 2013 at 12:44AM
Natalie
A splash of orange and wood... Good Luck!
]
1 Like   September 3, 2013 at 12:47AM
hanoof83
Thank you for all the suggestions! I wanted to update you with a new pic of this space. What do you think? I still feel there's something missing?
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 5:59AM
hanoof83
I'm also stuck with this empty space, any ideas? Thank you!
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 6:01AM
hanoof83
Another pic of the room with the new coffee table and real cushions
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 6:02AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Can you move the lamp between the couches?
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 7:45AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Idea for that big wall....... a (mirrrored) sideboard with oversized art hung horizontally either reflecting the wall colour or neutral.
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 7:51AM
dhadley444
I would keep the couch where you can easily look out the window. If you add a splash of color with pillows and vases I think it would look beautiful. Nice colorful picture or large mirror behind the couch would also be nice
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 8:07AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
A side table for the chair. There are many different styles......here are a few examples.
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 8:13AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Add more pillows that have some of the wall colour. The lamb's wool one would look great on the leather chair! P.S. I think the coffee table would look better turned the other way.
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 8:30AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
A few accessories for the coffee table. Something organic like this bowl would break up all the modern lines.
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 8:36AM
I think that big empty wall is missing the sofa, as travisinteriors suggested. Did you ever try that? Accessories are missing as well. Lots of good ones above.
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 9:09AM
Jennifer Koper
Add some art to the empty space behind the sofa next to the widow. Two smaller pictures one on top of the other or a vertically oriented piece. Add some more colour and accessories to the coffee table. Some books, a vase with flowers, a tray, a sculptural piece..
Your empty spot could use a sideboard, console or desk with artwork or a mirror above or a bookcase with organized accessories on it.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 4:10PM
Creative Lighting
If you're looking for an easy way to update a room, consider a chandelier. Chandeliers are the focal points in any space. The chandelier can have an effect on the overall feel of the room, not only based on the design style of the fixture, but also the light it produces in the space. Here is a link to some helpful tips on picking out a chandelier. http://www.creative-lighting.com/Content.aspx?PageName=Chandelier%20Basics
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 4:19PM
Need help , need a living room to feel like a living room
I have been living in my condo for a few years and...
jmrire
Living Room - Desperately need help with furniture and layout of this living room.
I desperately need help with ideas for my living room....
prockmrs
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
need to help to redisign this room for a living room! need some ideas!
i need to design this room for someone for a small...
mirimirii
Entryway lighting
My entryway is also used as a small eating area in...
amyls64
What to put in corners?
So I've done a pretty big remodel of a fixer upper....
Andre Simeon
Front door color
My wife and I are in the process of buying this house....
kykuit
Need help where to begin
Getting ready to remodel a house built in 1995. I do...
laurab40
Need ideas for paint color and counter top.
I'm needing ideas. I'm wanting to take down this wallpaper...
Jas