How do I fill the space below TV? I think the proportion is wrong.
sandy6477
The Tv is mounted as high as possible. This cannot be changed as my husband feels it is in the best position to watch it. I love the console I have, but what do I put on top?
I feel like it is lacking something...
kimmang
You need a larger piece of furniture underneath the TV. I would do a combination book shelf cabinet and only leave about a foot at the most space between them.
2 Likes   August 30, 2013 at 5:47PM
Keitha
I agree with kimmang... The 2 pieces are not in proportion. I would say if the TV stays the console should be moved elsewhere and a longer, taller piece needs to replace it. I'm really surprised that your husband would want the TV that high.....hope you know a good chiropractor because someone's gonna need a neck adjustment...LOL!
6 Likes   August 30, 2013 at 5:59PM
sandy6477
Ok, thank you. In the meantime, would it help to do something else, like put something on either side...plant, tree, floor vase?

Here are some more photos at different angles.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 5:22AM
sandy6477
The furthest point away from that wall , is about 24 ft, room is pretty big.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 5:25AM
The TV is hung too high, making it look out of place.
9 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 5:27AM
Does your husband like watching TV standing up? I would think his neck will start to hurt soon looking up. How long has it been in that position? If it HAS to stay I would find something to fill the entire wall between the windows and under making it look like a wall unit but don't clutter it all up with trinkets;)
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 5:32AM
carolins
Your husband is wrong about having the TV that high. Unless you and your family always watch TV standing up. TV's need to be at eye level. Not only will this literally be a pain in the neck, it also isn't the best look for your room. Maybe one day he'll be convinced that the TV needs to be lowered, which will solve your aesthetic problem as well as your neck aches ;-)
http://www.ehow.com/way_5120505_height-flat-screen-tv.html
5 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 5:33AM
motownmom
It's really hard getting men to understand esthetics isn't it? In the first picture you posted, I can see the light reflecting on the tv............that would drive me crazy if I was watching it.

I agree with the recommendations above. If it *has* to stay there, then get a larger entertainment/shelving unit to fit the entire area between the windows. Because you have a heat vent right under the tv near the floor, it's going to have to be an open spaced cube or bookshelf type of unit. Ikea makes tons of them and they have multiple piece ones that can be pieced together to fit a certain area, or purchased whole.

I'd put that lovely console behind the sofa where you have the other sofa table.

If these are not options, look in antique stores for a small "hutch" type unit that you can put on top of the console to fill in the area. It could be stained to match the wood in the console. Not ideal, but it's probably less costly than the other options if he won't change his mind.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 5:52AM
Angel18432
You may have to have something custom built around the tv. Cabinets each side and shelves under the tv.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 6:00AM
Maybe men don't understand aesthetics, but I bet your hubby will understand ergonomics. There are slews of articles online about the best position for the TV; find them and wear him down. It will be cheaper, easier, look better, and save on chiropractic bills.
6 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 6:07AM
sandy6477
It has been like that for awhile, but we just got furniture(sectional).

Is it possible for the TV to be lowered without changing the bracket placement do you think?

Here is a picture of behind the TV

If I end up moving the existing console, I love the idea of putting it behing the sofa. The table behind sofa now is from another living room set I had.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 6:32AM
decorcrazy
Margo you are too much much. Hang in there Sandy6477, Margo is direct but gives great advise:)))
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 6:40AM
pegonia1
Sorry, that TV just looks sooooo wrong! I hope you can convince your husband to lower it (by a foot, at least).
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 6:40AM
smileyface2013
Agree with everyone else, the tv is too high. It sounds like he needs to come to that conclusion himself. Best of luck.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 6:50AM
Stanton Designs-online design services
Tvs are not normally hung that high, but if it works for you guys then we can just work around it. The piece of furniture below it is a little small, maybe find something a little wider to help balance the large tv. and then just accessorize, a nice large vase, difference size lanterns, a vase of flowers.
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 7:55AM
veeba
If you lower the tv, add some drapery panels to the windows and swag those towards the tv. Extend the console by placing two large plants or branches or either side. This should be a cost effective solution.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 8:21AM
You could show your husband these responses from Houzz, tell him we are industry experts, and certified in marriage counciling;)
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 8:43AM
architect_h
I think that the furnace underneath was a really good choice. Fill up that space by adding green plants or white flowers on both edges.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 8:49AM
abbyjean
If the piece under the tv goes behind the sectional, just make sure it does not come up higher than the back pillows. It is hard to tell if it would be too high for that??? You could always paint the one you have there now to be a part of the room.

Let's pretend that tv and cabinet stay........we know how stubborn men can be with their tvs and already having them hung. Would there be a way to put some black iron scroll/pattern that would FILL in the blank area on the wall, but not be a distraction? Maybe make it look like one piece, but open on the wall, too? It would need to be black and the same size as the cabinet/tv in the width and tuck up and under. Like a lattice, as I cannot think of another way to describe it right now.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 8:57AM
@abbyjean- let's not be an inabler LOL
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:07AM
abbyjean
Peacemaker.....remember? That is my role. I just do not want STUFF on there to fill in the space, but something has to!
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:11AM
mvlakeview
As everyone has already said, the TV is too high. It should be lowered by at least one and half feet. Good luck!
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:16AM
garyatdecorkitchens
Here is a suggestion. Leave the TV where it is. In a short time both you and your husband will start getting sore necks. Then you can agree to lower it to a reasonable height. It is not a big job to lower the bracket but you may have to patch the wall afterwords.
One of the issues you have is the contrasting styles of the base with its curves and rounded shelves and the TV which has straight horizontal and vertical lines. If you keep both I agree that plants or something else on each side of the base would help. A wall unit is ideal but will cost a little bit of money.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:45AM
taraleigh
That tv is hung to high period.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:04AM
ruby1978
Wow, the TV is way to high!
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 10:08AM
Lower TV 2 feet so its only 6" above cab. Add a palm to side on floor or 3 big tall pots with color. Or add a wall unit try to cover most of wall. Ikea sells.
3 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:10AM
Take all things off media. Not needed.
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:10AM
sandy6477
Ok, I'm getting TV lowered!! Although it will only be as low as I can without seeing the patched holes from the top. I can't lower TV bracket myself, so I the installer I used said it needs to be done in one trip...take down TV, remove and lower bracket, and hang back up all in same day. No time for filling in holes. :(
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:36AM
sandy6477
Even with TV lower,should I remove everything from the top of existing cabinet?
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:37AM
Genevieve
It looks like you need to complete this room with a fireplace ,here is an idea

2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:51AM
hurst visual solutions
I know people with a TV inserted in an alcove above the top of their dual oven in the kitchen ( at ceiling height ), so I've seen some places where your neck hurts for sure trying to watch. It needs to be lowered and don't spend the money on custom systems to hide the mistake. Just a good cable /electrician and a drywall repair person.
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:51AM
hurst visual solutions
You can fill holes friend!! Go to you local Lowes/Home depot, tell them you need to fill some drywall holes ( depending on how big ) - take a photo maybe with you on your phone. Just fill the holes with a putty knife.. ( you can buy a plastic one ) and whatever spackle they recommend. Just try to find and mix well the left over wall paint and brush edges with a hatch type stroke to hid the repair. Sand after the spackle dries and maybe do a fast test to see how the results are before you do the whole job. Just an idea. I was being Miss Smarty Pants and in a unseen spot, stuffed paper and then spackle in a hole - what a mess. Follow DIY suggestion or hire a drywall / paint professional - it is the MAIN focal point of the room.
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:57AM
Sandy, have the installer put the TV where you want it. You can fill the holes yourself. It's spackle and paint; nothing to it.
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:10AM
After you lower the TV, put one flat tray or your purple plate on the console. Because you have a cabinet on the right, I think you can get away with one tall thing--a plant, perhaps--on the left to balance it. Aesthetically, I think the height below is good. Ergonomically, it should probably be even lower, but we take what we can get.
11 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:33AM
Hot day like today and that grover is still up to moving bulk ;)
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:56AM
Angel18432
Hooray, tv is being lowered
3 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:59AM
carolins
Collective sigh of relief through Houzz :-D
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 12:00PM
abbyjean
AND when you see how perfect it is in the pic grover did, we really are all doing the high five happy dance!
3 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 12:10PM
sandy6477
tV will be lowered Friday. Will be back in touch then.

Thank you for all the help.

I'm going to look for tall plant or two.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 2:02PM
sandy6477
Here is my TV lowered!! And I removed the long walking stick from the top. How does it look now?
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:08PM
pegonia1
Better, but still not low enough.
2 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:10PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Depending on the size, one or two orchid arrangements on the TV stand (as long as they're not too tall).
2 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:18PM
sandy6477
Well, this is as low as its gonna be:). I'm thrilled with not having it up to the ceiling.
3 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:45PM
sandy6477
Those are pretty, Lydia
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 5:45PM
motownmom
BIG improvement! Congrats on winning this marital battle :)
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 6:15PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I thought flower arrangements would fill up that space nicely and add a feminine touch.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 6:34PM
abbyjean
Something that fills the area, but does not distract from what you are watching.......I agree....it IS better!!! YAY!
3 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 7:02PM
sandy6477
Motown, it was an agreed compromise...:). I'm trying to find maybe something other than the plate...or in addition to.
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 8:13PM
abbyjean
Anything silver in your home that might work to go along with the bottom of the tv??
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 8:15PM
Aesthetically, there should be more wall showing above the TV than below it. Oh well. I did what I could.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 8:35PM
carolins
Much, much better.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 11:34PM
How do you think it would look if i used the end chairs below for all 6 chairs?
Love the end dining room chairs below, how do you think...
sherreyw
How do I fill the space on each side of my vanity top?
I want to replace my vanity top, but the space is 55"...
Sheldon Lee-Wen
How do I fill this space?
I don't know how to give this space a life. How do...
ekj73
How do I fill the space effectively?
We have just extended the lounge, yet I'm unsure how...
nford57
What's on your home remodeling wish list for 2015?
Kitchen remodel? New master suite? Family room?
Roberts Residential Remodeling
PLEASE HELP - Need exterior house color advice
Just repainted the entire exterior and kind of hate...
vecarlson
I need to replace my my gold chandelier with something transitional!
I've been remodeling my AS-IS home purchase. The last...
candeeds
New roof and siding....help with color
This spring/summer, we will be getting a new roof and...
lhutch13
The perfect paint color
So many wonderful ideas here. Can I get suggestions...
alreadythere