Living Area Dilemna
skswen
August 30, 2013
Ideas to make this a warm comfortable layout for a family with small children and who love to entertain. My style is eclectic
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skswen
Also any color ideas or art work to brighten up area yet make it feel warm & inviting.
    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 6:54PM
sharon1
Oh my. Well can you maybe swing the love seat around so it is facing the couch and bring that little area with red couch into the fold so to speak? I think making it two separate areas may not work in that room.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 6:57PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You have what can be a great looking room with a little help. Here are some ideas for it:
1. First I would turn the sofa so that it faces the fireplace. Look at all that rug that's left uncovered.

2. On that empty portion of the rug I'd place two chairs with a small table between them. The loveseat would go away.

2. Lamps. Lamp light at night is such a pleasant thing and far superior to ceiling lights, except for the ones that shine on artwork. I see 1 lamp in the room, the floorlamp in the corner. That's not nearly enough.

3. The red settee in the background might look nice if it were elsewhere. But where it is it is crowded by the bulky piece of furniture to its left. Maybe it could go at the other end of the sofa once the loveseat is gone and you have two new chairs. Please try to find reasonably sized chairs that aren't oversized.

4. That looks like a coffee table you have behind the loveseat. It doesn't belong there and doesn't seem to serve any purpose so it should probably go away along with the rug that is under it.

5. I'd mount a TV on the wall, getting rid of the big cabinet that probably holds the TV. Under the TV I would place a media console.

6. The two windows that flank the fireplace would benefit from having roman shades, mounted just below the crown moulding and coming down to cover the windows.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 7:11PM
abbyjean
Have the love seat and sofa trade places. I see a console/buffet in the back of the room. Bring that up and put it under the window to the right of the fireplace. Move the coffee table in front of the couch, which is centered with the fireplace. Angle the black tv cabinet in the corner to the left of the fireplace. Swing the red seat in to the corner where that console/buffet is now and place the rug in front of it. Put the small table from near the fireplace beside it.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 8:25PM