Plantation Shutters-tilt in windows
amandaalaAugust 31, 2013
I had planned on 3-1/2" plantation shutters on the front of my house. I have tilt in windows. I am hearing that I can only get them that fit on outside of my frame. I have beautiful window moulding and just hate the thought of covering that up. Can anyone tell me if the shutters will work or, if not, what I should do? The triple window is in the garage and the shutters are just for privacy and looks from outside. Thanks!!
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
Inside mounted shutters will not allow your windows to tilt-in. If your want privacy, you are better off with wood blinds that are inside mounted. They will raise up out of the way so you can tilt your windows in.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 4:16AM
amandaala
Thank you @pamela. I guess that's what I will do. We are really secluded and privacy is not a huge issue but I do want something on the front of the house. Do you have experience with the leveler cordless blinds? I like the look of no cords. Gives a bit more of a shutter look. Thanks!
    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 4:58AM
Wow Great Place
Amanda, where do they tilt in? At the very top of the window? If that is the case, then you can't do an inside mount blind either. The blind would completely block the window from tilting inward, especially when the blind is raised, as all the slats of the blind would be bunched together at the top where the window wants to tilt inward!
Tilt windows are not very practical when it comes to selecting window coverings, sorry about that!
Can you post a picture of the window in the open position?
    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:04AM
Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
I may have misunderstood your windows. I have tilt-in-windows - but only the bottom half tilt-in. We only tilt them in for cleaning (which I need to do soon). If your top half of your windows tilt in as well, then WoW is correct - raised blind will not allow enough room for tilting of the upper window.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:13AM
figwer
If the shutter is on a frame on the trim of your window you should have no trouble operating your window in the tilt position. I would call a shutter company out to measure and they can explain the framing. I would definitely look into shutters over cordless blinds, there is no comparison. Shutters should have a lifetime warranty and have little or no maintenance. You will be replacing blinds in 10 years.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:16AM
amandaala
@pamela and @wow, the bottom of the window tilts in. I do know that I can get an outside mount plantation shutter but I have such pretty window moldings, I hate to cover them. I think I will have someone come just look and give me options. My heart was set on shutters and I never thought about it when we got tilt windows. One thought is that since I only want them on the front of the house and I can reach the windows from the ground to clean,I won't use the tilt feature there. The back windows are very high since we are on walkout basement. I don't plan to use shutters in back anyway.
    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:29AM
suzannah48
If you can easily reach your windows from outside then go ahead and put up the plantation shutters with inside mount.. That's what I did. I can clean them from the outside. Mine have been up for at least 5 years with no complaints.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:45AM
amandaala
Thanks @suzannah48! I am leaning toward that right now. I think I will always be disappointed if I didn't get them. The end of this construction has been so stressful!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:49AM
Frisco WindoWear
I am a window treatment professional and have owned my own company for 10+ years. There are specialty frames that can be used when installing plantation shutters that allow for tilt in window operation. They are called L frames, "tilt-in" Z frames, or you can use a deco frame. Given you have molding around your windows, you can have a qualified shutter dealer pick the right frame for you. I would suggest an L frame that will mount to your existing molding. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by amandaala    August 12, 2014 at 10:17AM
Shutters - hidden tilt vs traditional
We are looking to add shutters to our kitchen windows...
jenwinston73
Help for Family Room Windows- Roman Shades or Plantation Shutters?
I originally didn't want any window treatments but...
mhogle2
plantation shutters for sliding glass window doors
I was told by a rep from Costco whom also represented...
kddelta
Plantation Shutters: Traditional Tilt Bar vs. Hidden Tilt Bar
Time and time again, customers ask us the same question...
Two Blind Guys
plantation shutters on windows that crank
can shutters be installed on windows that have crank...
knewhart
Kitchen help
Hi, I have a pretty straightforward question. I have...
Pat Reeves
I need help for my family room
I would to appreciate who can give what is the suitable...
pity30002000
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
New House needs attention on the exterior.
Brand new house and we are not sure what to do with...
reidc123
Need help deciding options for opening doorway to kitchen
Any advice? We want to open up the kitchen so are considering...
michelle_ekkert