Trouble with foundation? Any ideas :(
rustymic
We bought a property in Calgary and demolition of the old house has happened and now we get the call...
The soil is too silty to support a typical or 8 inch concrete foundation for our green home. They are suggesting a 70,000 upgrade but asked us to talk to people to see if anyone has some ideas...engineers, where are you? Over our head :(
apple_pie_order
You need to talk to soil engineers in your location. Your architect should have some names for you.
August 31, 2013 at 8:02AM   
rustymic
We have to shore :( an additional 70,000 before building starts. I could cry
October 8, 2013 at 10:40AM   
apple_pie_order
Can you sit back for a few weeks and rethink the idea of building on this lot? You are in Calgary, I don't know the building schedule vis a vis winter. Don't rush into things you cannot easily afford. I would want to add up pros and cons of various options. Talk to experts. Maybe a new design that requires a different foundation?
October 8, 2013 at 10:51AM   
Cancork Floor Inc.
Sounds like you are in/around the river basin. The massive floods in the area have left plenty of problems in their wake. Have you looked at "stilts" or pylons driven into the soil to hold up a home? Are you inside the "flood zone"? If you are in the area that recently flooded, PLEASE get a new quote from your insurance company. Many, if not ALL insurance companies are refusing to insure houses on a flood plain...unless the build takes the level of flooding into consideration - like stilts. This is new to Calgary but I think it will become the norm on the Prairies. Having homes built above the level of expected flooding can be done. This has been done successfully in flood prone areas of the Mississipi basin, as well as areas around the world that are prone to flooding.

I guess the bottom line is: Can you afford any/all upgrades/changes to plans? If not, you may want to get out of it now and look at a different plot that can handle the design you want to build/paid for. Thankfully the housing market in Calgary is still pretty hot...but it will be difficult to find builders...to much work...not enough hands to do it all.
October 8, 2013 at 1:06PM   
rustymic
Funny enough we are in lake bonavista where we had no flood issues. Half a block away there are two new houses going up and they both had no problems. A bit of a micro soil environment :(
October 8, 2013 at 9:28PM   
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
What color accent pillows
What color accent pillows should I use to tie my living...
Difficult living room layout
I have a long and narrow living room with way too many...
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...