~Help please with LVR fireplace/tables/trunk etc..
flyergrace
Hello~ I would like to use the items I have (as much as possible) to pull our living room together. I have placed some of what we have in front of the fireplace. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Angel18432
Remove a lot of the "stuff" you have. If that is a bench at the front door for one to sit on while taking shoes on/off, it has a plant on it. Remove and maybe put a pillow. Need a rug at front door.
Put one of the end tables by the chair - remove the boxes. Sorry but you have too many things going on in the room. Declutter, rearrange and show us more photos.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 9:38AM
flyergrace
The other side of the room which did not post...
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:50AM
flyergrace
Thanks for your input Angel..I guess I wasn't clear enough that I have only placed all the "stuff" around for options of placement...
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:53AM
flyergrace
Also, I had to get rid of all my large rugs that have any weight because of our Great Dane...she uses them as launching pads and anything on them goes crashing through the room, lol. At one point I thought our whole dining room table and chairs was going through the windows. I do have a smaller rug (that crunches up when she hits it) that usually goes at the front door though.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 9:57AM
flyergrace
Also, that is a trunk under the mirror at the front door. Again, I have just placed things around as options. Sadly, the front door is never, ever used -kind of like this room is never used either.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:01AM
Thanks flyergrace for the visual I got with your Great Dane on a carpet ride LOL...dog trumps carpet;)
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 10:06AM
flyergrace
We have given up more than rugs for the GD dog, haha! and dogs are worth it, right? ;)
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:17AM
flyergrace
By the way, the GD was a granted wish from the amazing "Make A Wish" foundation for my sick daughter...so kidding aside -the Great Dane is very, very special :)
4 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 10:22AM
carolins
Sooo.... you really have flying carpets :-) Dogs are definitely worth it. Ah well, so there goes my original idea, you need a rug to 'ground' the room.
It is a lovely room and you have beautiful furniture and 'stuff'.

So I was thinking that you could swap the mirrors and the console and trunk around. So, the mirror and the trunk that are now next to the front door could go between the chairs. And the console, lamps and other mirror can go to the front door side.
Just because the console table is too high for the chairs. The trunk may be too low though... not sure.

Does your GD swoop everything off a coffee table with its tail? Otherwise I would suggest to use the trunk as a coffee table.

The round golden plates could go above each other next to the fireplace. For some reason I'm thinking on the left side as you look at it. On the other side I'd put the small treasure chest on the console.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 10:33AM
carolins
That truly is a special dog :-)
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 10:34AM
flyergrace
Carolins! That's a great idea about switching the console table and mirror with the trunk and mirror! I don't care much for the big gold mirror but I might like it better there? The two trunks (or maybe I'm not calling them by their right names) were made almost 70 years ago by my father in law and stained by my MIL with walnut hull stain from their trees. I think they are both very dark for the room, thus asking advice here. My dh doesn't mind if I need to change the finishes :) (what a guy, eh?)
I have another mirror that I love but am afraid it is too much..but I will post a pic of it in just a minute just in case it could work? Also, I have a third matching gold/orange-ish plate if you think 3 would be better?
The Dane rarely hits things with her tail, (other then us that is, but she does steal!) So the lower trunk could be used as a coffee table..however, which side would the hinges go on?
Thanks for your help and understanding!
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:06AM
flyergrace
Please exuse the photo bomber in the background~
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:13AM
carolins
Gosh... you really have beautiful pieces. That mirror is lovely too. Interesting frame. Could be nice between the chairs. If you use the lighter trunk as a coffee table, you could put the table with the sort of harp-shaped base and square top between the chairs. If the size corresponds with the mirror.

3 plates are better than two. Uneven numbers are more pleasing to the eye for some reason. Cut paper to the size of the plates, tape them (low tack tape like painters tape, or normal sticky tape but first stick that on your jeans or something to get rid of the worst stickiness ;-)) to the wall in different configurations. See what you like best, if you like it at all, before you make the holes in the wall.

Or... how about:
- large rectangular gold mirror on the fireplace wall
- that painting to the left of the fireplace
- the two frames that are standing on the ground, where the three frames are hanging, to the right of the fireplace
- the console table with the mirror to the front door wall
- the lighter trunk as a coffee table
- the small treasure chests could go on the table to the right of the fireplace
.... ehm....
- harp table between chairs
- ... ???
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 11:38AM
Angel18432
So sorry, didn't understand what you were doing. No wonder you had a lot of stuff in there !!
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 11:47AM
and maybe you could post a pic of the Great Dane;) What is his/her name?
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 11:49AM
Put mirror between chairs over fireplace hang low. Remove all from mantel. Move all furn into center of rm and off the walls. Place chairs side by side, no table. Remove very thing from side tables on firepl. Do you have another chest that is same height of shorter one? If so change out the tall one. Looks off balance. On one table add those stacked boxes by chair on one end of chest on wall add those 2 wire type by firepl place off center slightly and place low on wall stagger them place 3" part. On other chest, add 3 tall items to top. And pic you have on firepl to that wall hang 6" above chest top centered. Place furn so 5 ft between them add your coffee table with marble top to center. I like what you did with entry. Might want to redo pic wall not so low, and closer together. Remove all red pillows replace with a pear green. And cream. No dried flowers. De clutter. You have to many tables that serve no purpose. This is a small area. Limits what you put in it. At some point you will want to get new sofa and chairs. Less bulky and solid color on sofa, never a print on sofas. Can on chairs.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 1:26PM
Put table by white doors on end of sofa on front door end. Place a couple of things from mantel to that table. On coffee table just one small item.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 1:28PM
Add a 5 x 7 tea rug. In a solid cream.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 1:29PM
Add lamp behind chairs to tables on sides of fireplace. Play with it to get perfect look.Remember less is better. All other things remove from room so can tell what you need.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 1:31PM
You have a very formal chandelier and very casual furniture. Something should change.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 1:33PM
ARe those plate racks? Use on wall as I said but no plates leave bare.
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 1:34PM
Remove fake plant from trunk by door add those boxes on floor by chair center in front of mirror. I want you to leave spaces bare. No need to put something on every surface and wall.
0 Likes   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 1:36PM
Area rug in entry. Color print. Golds and red. 5x7 start 20" from front door.
0 Likes   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 1:39PM
pkgirlie
Get all that stuff away from the fireplace. you need to have something on each side of the fireplace like shelving/bookcases etc. to balance it out. The picture is too small above the fireplace as well.. Good place to start.
1 Like   August 31, 2013 at 2:22PM
Doesn't anybody ready the post before they comment! LOL
6 Likes   Thanked by flyergrace    August 31, 2013 at 2:42PM
flyergrace
Such great ideas and input! I am looking forward to trying them :) Thank you all!

Angel18432 -my bad, I didn't explain very well!

Thank you Carolins for your kind comments about our 'stuff'! I really like your ideas- thank you!!! The big gold mirror doesn't fit over the fireplace though :( it's about two inches longer than the space there. I really want to get rid of it (unless it can find a good place) but I have trouble finding something to replace it -I really like nature oriented things, kind of whimsical with a touch of elegance...silly right? Maybe you can help with the right thing to replace the bigger ornate gold mirror (if I can sell it)?

Travisinteriors, I love the idea of apple green pillows, brilliant! Please understand that I only put all that stuff around to get help with what might work in the room...I never thought it would all find a place...just hoping some of it would okay. I know the sofa and chairs are big and dated for the area we have but I need to work with them anyway ;/ All the dark tables and trunks/chests have been inherited recently so I have nixed some other items that were in that room to work in the pieces that are special to my husband (not that it was good the other way either, haha!). I thought that I would start working a couple of those pieces in as best as possible in the living room first and what didn't work could be worked into other rooms in the house. However, I quickly realized I needed help. Originally, some of the pieces (sofa, chairs, bird painting, console table, carved LaBarge mirror, 3d mirror) I chose with a designer for a very large area (with 29ft ceilings and windows) some 20 years ago...there is also an amazing grapevine glass top coffee table that went with the set but I love it so much I put it where I can see it all the time. The basket of dried flowers, feathers, etc. under the carved mirror is special to me because it's items that have been collected through the years by my children..so I'm realizing now it's only special to me, LOL.
Travis, the one wall (that shows the console table) is 22ft. You mean that that wall is to be mostly bare?
0 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:51PM
flyergrace
Margo C, her name is Karmyn! Thanks so much for asking :) We have hundreds of photos of her but this was a quick find..she loves to smell all the flowers we have but especially the roses, haha!
5 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 9:57PM
carolins
She's gorgeous!
2 Likes   August 31, 2013 at 11:39PM
traditionalguy467
Hi Flyergrace,

Your furnishings are absolutely beautiful! The vivid use of color throughout the room says so much about you. What a shame this beautiful room is not being utilized. The only thing that bothers me is the chest by the double doors, which is known as a hope chest. I definitely would not paint this piece with such a touching story attached to it. That being said, I agree it should be relocated to a more appropriate spot. The piece I would try in this spot would be the table in front of the closed shutter doors. I think proportionately it would make more sense, and perhaps try the picture over the fireplace, hung above that table in the entry. You might even try the smaller ornate mirror above this table in the entry, as others have suggested. The large gold mirror should either be above the fireplace, with perhaps sconces on either side, or placed on the wall in back of the table and two chairs. If there is room, as I can't see the complete wall, I might place the table between the two chairs, on the wall to the left of the white shutter doors. I would place a picture arrangement on the wall behind it of approximately four to six pictures, and place the black buffet lamps on it. You might then consider placing the small butler's table to the left of the shuttered door between the two chairs, not the long way, but turned width wise facing the sofa. Also, don't be afraid to try the sofa in different locations, until you get a flow that is acceptable and pleasing to you and your family. Try it on the wall where the chairs are, taking advantage of that bright, big, windowed view. You might consider making an entry by facing the sofa towards the fireplace, using the table between the two chairs as a sofa table behind it. Most of all have fun with the process, those memories and keepsakes truly are what make a bland house into a warm home. Again your room is absolutely beautiful, including the present accessories! And may I say in the kindest words possible, may the Lord smile down and work His special miracles on your little girl. Only the best to you and your family!
2 Likes   September 1, 2013 at 1:06AM
Thanks for posting the pic of Karmyn, she has sweet gentle eyes, but yet somhow I can see her flying on the carpets:)
3 Likes   September 1, 2013 at 5:19AM
flyergrace
traditionalguy467, thank you so much for your remarkably kind and very thoughtful post~ I did not come back here for awhile because my daughter started a new medical treatment...The Lord decided he would work a miracle for her (and us) and she now is in recovery!! Although obviously not the best part of it all, it is fun because we are starting to now use this room!! :D
I have taken much of the wonderful advice y'all were so generous in giving and tried several ways....some of the ideas given although great, the sizes of the furniture just didn't fit in the area...I have taken some pictures of the room that I will post below and maybe the room could be tweaked further-- But first I'll post a pic of the miracle girl if you don't mind :)
8 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 11:46AM
flyergrace
I know there are still a lot of problems with this room but the things that bother me the most are the dark lamp shades, the huge gold mirror and the blank spaces/walls beside the fireplace :/ I would like to replace the big gold mirror but I don't know what to put there? What kind of new shades should I put on the buffet lamps?
3 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 12:06PM
flyergrace
...
2 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 12:16PM
flyergrace- that is the best news/photo;))) Who cares about a mirror when you have a miracle child !!
3 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 12:36PM
carolins
That is such great news. Sometimes miracles do happen. Wishing your daughter, you all, the very best!

Now, your room, call me crazy but I love that huge mirror. And I would put the sofa with its back against the console table, the chairs where the sofa now is, not at an angle, straight as they are now, but with a small table in between them. What bothers me is that the table isn't centred on the fireplace. So if you move the seating against the console table, you can move the coffee table so it's centred on the fireplace. I hope ;-)

How about red for the lampshades?
2 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 1:20PM
carolins
Or sage green?
2 Likes   Thanked by flyergrace    June 11, 2014 at 1:20PM
carolins
Burlap?
2 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 1:22PM
carolins
These are grey burlap from Pottery Barn.
2 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 1:25PM
carolins
1 Like   June 11, 2014 at 1:29PM
Angel18432
So happy for your family that things are getting better. I would live in a tent if my son had a normal life.
2 Likes   June 11, 2014 at 2:52PM
flyergrace
Thank you all for your happiness and well wishes for us!!!
You are right Margo :) The mirror is not important..just wanting the room to be used now, as the miracle girl.is "courting" hehe. She is now 23 (became very ill at 15) so it's a room that she doesn't have to have the whole family hovering around, haha!

Angel18432 ~~ I'm SO sorry to hear your son does not have a normal life :( Funny you mention that--we actually were close to living in a tent to get my daughter well...alternative medicine has no insurance coverage :(
I don't want to pry about your son but we have been through a lot of research and a had a team of doctors to help...finally, it was (PEMF) Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy, (developed by NASA for the astronauts) that brought her through. It is incredible for many serious and chronic medical issues...so if you think you might want to know more about it I'd be happy to send you some studies on it (there are over 2000 studies). Prayers and best wishes for you and your son~.
2 Likes   June 12, 2014 at 8:59AM
flyergrace
Thank you Carolins. I really like the burlap shades...I also need to replace the one on the other single lamp at the front door ---should they differ in color?
I will try switching the sofa with the chairs! It's very tight in that area so maybe I should move the table and lamps that are now behind the chairs and put them at the front door to make more room?
1 Like   June 12, 2014 at 9:07AM
flyergrace
Carolins, I just went to move the sofa to where the chairs are and remembered why I moved it to the window side...the yellows seem to clash :( I'll try it anyway and maybe if that works best I can re-paint the one wall?
1 Like   June 12, 2014 at 11:11AM
flyergrace
Okay...I have changed it around a bit. It is getting better I think...but I also think I figured out why I'm just not diggin' anything. I'm thinking I really don't like all the heavy, dark wood pieces in there -especially next to the fireplace. I use to really like the room, even though it was dated. Should I paint those two pieces or maybe strip them and re-stain partly and paint partly? Help please???
0 Likes   June 12, 2014 at 7:07PM
chookchook2
Lovely room. Getting back to using what you already have, you could mount the gold charger plates each side of the picture above the mantle.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    June 12, 2014 at 7:19PM
flyergrace
chookchook2 -is that a lovely light Brahma hen in your profile picture? Very pretty hen!!
Good idea with the chargers...I will try it! Thanks!
0 Likes   June 12, 2014 at 7:29PM
flyergrace
...this photo was left out....(please excuse the Dane head or other parts in most of the pictures, she doesn't leave my side...my bff :) )
1 Like   June 12, 2014 at 7:33PM
chookchook2
Thank you for asking, she is a light Sussex, last remaining of 3 we bought, predators got the others. She is a pet. I like the warm ambiance in your pics.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    June 12, 2014 at 7:41PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
God Bless your Family the material things will work out with help of Friends advice here on HOUZZ
2 Likes   Thanked by flyergrace    June 12, 2014 at 7:49PM
AnAhitA Nazeri
I would put the large Mirror above mantle that alone will create a huge focal point , also the table in the middle of Club chairs should be lower at arms reach and slightly angle them , lets make a complete turnaround, I would put the Couch facing the Fireplace 6 ft away from entry with console behind it with 3 prominent pieces on table , also the chairs by each side of Fireplace with chests behind them and plates on the Wall
0 Likes   Thanked by flyergrace    June 12, 2014 at 8:04PM
lemonlemon
I like the colour of the wall. It's bright and warm.
1 Like   Thanked by flyergrace    June 12, 2014 at 8:09PM
Angel18432
Thank you, I will look into the therapy.
1 Like   June 12, 2014 at 10:20PM
flyergrace
Thank you AnAhitA Nazari! The room is only 14' wide and the sofa is 9' only leaving a little over 2 feet on each side. Unfortunately, the large (goldish) mirror is too large to fit over the fireplace. I will try a shorter table between the chairs! I have plenty of others in other rooms ...but I think I have finally found homes for those, LOL!
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 9:07AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Ohh that's not good 9 ft Couch lol that's a Big one , maybe you should sell it or transfer to a Playroom it is an option back to drawing board..
0 Likes   June 13, 2014 at 10:02AM
What to do with old chimney in the kitchen (kitchen's focal point)?
I need decorating advice. I am renovating our kitchen...
Need color for my daughters room
I'm ready to start painting but still undecided on...
Which Closet System to Choose?
We are in desperate need to overhaul all of our bedroom...
Microwave advice needed
There was an October thread about how to add an OTR...
Fence addition advice
I have a 30' wide stone/brick that stands almost 6'...