Need ideas for a light and a rug
monapk
Recommendations for a light and rug??
Love the firepl. Add picture you have on wall above FP. If it fits? Remove all things from table top. You have too much red going. Use more white. No runner on table dated. Add a big 45" sunburst mirror, where pic is now. Center on wall. You have a very formal look. The light should reflect that. Hang 36" from top of table go alittle bigger than what you have now. I like the big lantern type in bronze. Or go the crystal in black. But I favor the Lantern. Rug 8 x10 do you have leaf in table? If so take it out. And open rm more. Go a Persian type with cream, gold and red.
August 31, 2013 at 10:44AM     
Replace centerpiece with a crystal bowl big. Fill with gren apples. Put the crystal bowl on a 20" mirrored tray, in center of table.
August 31, 2013 at 10:46AM     
monapk
Thanks- table runner is gone. I do have a mirror in the room and am going to move it to over the fireplace- what do you think? See two more pictures.
August 31, 2013 at 12:26PM     
Angel18432
What a lovely room you have. Yes that mirror would look better over the fireplace, it's too big for where it is now.

Whoever planned the room was very thoughtful of the process. Look where the electrical outlet is.
August 31, 2013 at 12:35PM     
carolins
I'd say that a mirror that has a similar shape to the cabinet doors would be nice on the fireplace wall.
Gold and Silver Shaped Wall Mirror
Antiqued Moroccan Mirror
August 31, 2013 at 12:40PM   
carolins
Interesting ideabook about choosing and hanging dining room lights. Follow the link under the picture:

August 31, 2013 at 12:56PM   
Yes put mirror on firepl hang 6" above mantel. Nothing on wall wall where you moved it. Less is more in this rm because of bold color. Pic on wall is too small for hat wall. Get a much bigger pic. No sunburst since you have a mirror now. Really love yr rm looks very cozy. I bet it's even better with fire going.
August 31, 2013 at 12:57PM     
Veronica Lawrence Interior Design
Your chandelier should hang lower - 36" above the table. I would change out the chandelier for one a little larger and simpler. Your wall covering looks really great and sets the tone for the room - although your furniture is more traditional the walls are more simple/elegant. That's why I think the chandelier should be a cleaner look this one's from Savoy House
August 31, 2013 at 12:59PM     
The rugs above are Ok. But not what you need keep looking. Something different. Reds and gold is good.
August 31, 2013 at 12:59PM     
carolins
Oh... and I really thought that this one was perfect :-)
August 31, 2013 at 1:13PM     
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
My eye goes immediately to the screaming white judges molding. I feel like you need to tone down the white by painting this (mushroom?) and leaving ONLY the door and window moldings and baseboards white. Also a question: Do you want to stay in this very traditional realm or are you interested in shaking things up a bit, with some "out of the box" twists.......?
I don't want to assume that just because that is where you are, it means that is where you want to be. Let us know. I too, love the wall covering. Grasscloth?
August 31, 2013 at 1:31PM     
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Possible console to add interest to the long wall with the horizontal print. (way too small) flank with a pair of torchieres, one horizontal decorative element in the middle, perhaps a pair of large jars or urns. CLEAN, classic and very traditional. That print would probably look great either above or below the upper cabinet at the butler's pantry. Ideally. If budget allows, it would actually be wonderful to replace that upper cabinetry with some that goes to the ceiling. The current upper looks a bit "kitcheny" and underscaled to my eye. The concept is FANTASTIC though.
August 31, 2013 at 1:33PM   
RosemaryR
Beautiful dining room, can't wait to see the new rug and chandelier you choose.
August 31, 2013 at 1:54PM   
monapk
Daniel,

Yes, it is grasscloth. The white was burgundy and the top wall was striped wallpapaper. I was concerned that it was too white but could not come up with another color. The kitchen leading into the room is painted a light beige so maybe the mushroom color would work. Do you have a color in mind? I agree with the cabinet being too "kitcheny" I can decide if I should just remove or replace with taller cabinet. I think it would be a good idea to shake it up a little.
August 31, 2013 at 2:50PM   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
I agree with Carolins. Too much red going on and your table and floor add to the red tones. I like a lighter color rug that can have a hint of red . I like the two lighter rugs that Carolins suggested. Why don't you try a group of like pictures in with white matting and dark frames...maybe there could be 3 or 4 square pictures. You could go to a book store that sells picture books and cut them out and frame them. Looks really nice!
I would try to have more original artwork...this picture has been out for years! Time to move on! You have beautiful bones...please post more pictures as you redecorate!
August 31, 2013 at 3:27PM     
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Here is a picture of what I mean...you don't necessarily need two rows.
August 31, 2013 at 3:30PM     
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
I was thinking the bottom right picture. You could add an element of green in this room because most likely, your rug will have green in it!
August 31, 2013 at 3:31PM   
carolins
Oh... I really like Daniel's idea of replacing the upper cabinets of the butler's pantry. I couldn't think of a way how to make that less 'kitcheny'. I thought that perhaps painting it a light taupe or muddy white could work too...

If you do replace those upper cabinets, how about something with glass doors?
Parkinson Avenue West
Butlers Pantry

Camouflage 2143-40 Paint
SW7526 Maison Blanche by Sherwin-Williams
September 1, 2013 at 12:20AM     
monapk
What color of wood should the console be? Black or white?
September 1, 2013 at 3:31AM   
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Enough white! :-) Definitely black. re: upper cabinetry - You could also use glass shelves for your crystal and china display. Clearly a more casual approach. Maybe glass front doors on whatever you do for the same display option. In either scenario, the shelves would need to be beautifully "merchandised" or they will just look messy and cluttered.
September 1, 2013 at 6:53AM   
For your rug, I suggest incorporating a tiny bit of white and the wall color, but then bring in lots of navy blue and raspberry. This rug is an example.
SOLD OUT! 5' x 7' Wool Rug by New Moon -
,500 Est. Retail - 0 on Chairish.c

For the chandy…gold tones that will compliment the wall color.
Alessandra 5-light Chandelier
September 1, 2013 at 7:17AM   
Amy Canary
Your lovely dining room made me think of a room by Alessandra Branca. See pics below from traditional home signature style book. I like the red walls but then a light color from chair rail down to floor. Did you consider a Seagrass rug or a wool sisal? I'd think about removing the upper cabinets and creating a buffet look so the dining room has less of a kitchen cabinet feel. Think also about what is reflected in your mirror - placing it over the fireplace is a great idea. I'd also look for pictures that can be grouped on the wall with the current picture. Hang many pictures together that are framed the same and have the same theme. See phoebe Howard's website to see pictures clustered.
September 1, 2013 at 7:39AM     
monapk
I love the look of a wool sisal- all the orinentals are a little busy for me. Do you think this would work for this room?
September 1, 2013 at 9:03AM   
carolins
I do think that a sisal or similar rug will work beautifully in your room. It will make the room feel more casual.
September 1, 2013 at 9:20AM   
Laurie
Beautiful room. Would you please tell me where you purchased the tree picture?
September 1, 2013 at 9:29AM   
Amy Canary
I love wool sisal. It will work great and lighten up the dark room as would painting the cabinetry. Good luck.
September 1, 2013 at 9:39AM   
Amy Canary
Look at light fixtures by circa lighting. They have great options.
September 1, 2013 at 9:45AM   
jen046
In the butler's pantry, why not just take out the uppers completely? Maybe use a grass cloth wallpaper that is natural on the back niche wall. Add some artwork and, perhaps a floating shelf or two for bar ware. Maybe even it's own pendant fixture. Definitely replace the gold sink. Of course, ripping out the cabinets is dependent on whether you need the storage or not. I see This area as more of a bar, but that may just be me!

I love the idea of a wool sisal rug. Maybe outlined in black or navy?
September 1, 2013 at 10:51AM     
monapk
The tree picture came from Ethan Allen
September 1, 2013 at 10:54AM   
Caroline work your magic, she needs a WOW rug.
September 1, 2013 at 10:55AM   
monapk
That is a good idea! Would you suggest a copper sink or silver. I did recently redo my kitchen and purchased a farmhouse copper sink that is made here in the US and it is wonderful
September 1, 2013 at 10:56AM   
monapk
This is the copper sink in the kitchen but I did use nickel colored lights over the island and a different light over the kitchen table. I am still not sure which light for in the dining room. I had gold candelabra before and I was really tired of it
September 1, 2013 at 11:07AM   
carolins
@ travisinteriors: I'd be happy to, but Nancy what would you consider to be a WOW rug?
September 1, 2013 at 11:08AM     
monapk
This is the light over the table in the kitchen area.
September 1, 2013 at 11:11AM   
monapk
Better picture
September 1, 2013 at 11:16AM   
jen046
I like a copper sink and faucet in the butler's pantry. Anything but gold! Done in the '80s?
September 1, 2013 at 2:44PM   
monapk
Yes, the house was built in 1990
September 1, 2013 at 3:53PM   
monapk
Travis interiors - did you happen to find a wow rug?
September 2, 2013 at 4:46AM     
Nitesh Sathya
i like living & bath room
September 2, 2013 at 5:04AM   
Need ideas for Small Bathroom shower curtain/rug!! more ideas=BETTER!
I recently bought a few sets of the Cynthia Rowley...
Need help with rug , curtains any ideas And armchairs
What y'all think of the armchair help? What kind of...
Need paint ideas for other walls and what color/style area rug
Paint color already on the walls is valspar roasted...
how woud you place furniture in a 11.5 x 29 ft room.
I have a large window at each end. I have a 5 ft opening...
Please help me in deciding bed for my Master bedroom
I need a bed for my master bedroom - 12 by 10 feet....
Need help replacing dying front lawn with drought tolerant beauties
We are in Denver, Colorado. Our front yard faces west...
Ideas For Cover Up 2 rooms which are not co linear
Have 2 rooms which are not aligned in a straight line...