How do I straighten my pendant cords? And level on a raked ceiling?
kuva
August 31, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Have just added 3 funky foton pendants from ikea in our kitchen and the cables are all wonky. Any tips for straightening? Also they are installed on a raked ceiling and currently not level. How can I easily get them level? Adjustment is from the top...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
The straightening part comes first. Pinch the cord between thumb and forefinger and pul firmly but gently from the top down...repeat until the wonky is acceptable or gone. Leveling takes time and patience. It helps to have a partner eyeball things as you adjust...that and a laser level. We set the laser on a ladder and block it to the correct height, then adjust until the lights all just touch the laser line....recently did 5 over a peninsula this way.
August 31, 2013 at 3:01pm     
kuva
Thanks I'll give that a go! Not sure if hubby is going to want to take them down for straightening but I'll try this method in situ... Don't have a laser level but do have a very long level so hopefully that should work somehow. Annoying that you have to pull from the top instead of bottom to straighten!
August 31, 2013 at 3:06pm   
pcmom1
How about wrapping some heavy copper wire (or other metal) the cords? Sort of make it a decorative accent.
August 31, 2013 at 3:17pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Don't bother taking them down to straighten! Gravity sucks! If your level is long enough, or you have a really straight board, you can block the board to level and rest the lights on it, then take up the slack. Works OK with just a couple of lights!
August 31, 2013 at 3:32pm     
kuva
Still haven't had time to fix them yet! Busy sorting all the other mess in our house but ant wait to get to it :) thanks for the suggestions...
September 13, 2013 at 12:45am   
PRO
Julie Smart Koob, REALTOR
When we redid our kitchen, I stretched out my cords and draped them over the curtains rods in my bedroom for a couple of months. Basically the weight did the straightening for me!
September 13, 2013 at 4:14am