Old (wood) moulding
yazfletch
August 31, 2013 in Polls
Ok houzzers, what do you think? Will be moving into a home that needs to be overhauled. Haven't found the money tree so...what do I do about all of the hideous wood moulding? Rip out and replace or sand/strip and maybe bleach? Would LOVE any feedback and/or experience. I've included a photo...don't have many just yet. Thanks!!
Rip out and replace moulding
Leave it and do _____ to it
pcmom1
I would take off the ceiling molding and use it to "beef up" the molding at the floor.
August 31, 2013 at 3:10pm   
yazfletch
Thanks pcmom1! Leave it wood?
I was so insistent on ditching the wood but been watching Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict and trying to figure out if I can work/live with what we have ;)
August 31, 2013 at 3:14pm   
Ironwood Builders
Umm...how is it you envision using the crown moulding on the base? In my experience (26 years now) even taking down moulding and putting it back in the same place is difficult to get right, wherever it comes from. We have done loads of historic restoration where every piece is numbered and stored for re-installation...and we mostly just made some new to match for one room and used the extra to make up the difference. There is always a difference. Crown moulding is cut on a double bevel. The short point won't be long enough to make the corner of the room if it is set flat on the wall. GIANT gaps. I think just removing the crown, fixing the drywall and painting will give the room a fresh look. Look to add some color to the walls to mitigate the contrast of the light/white walls and the dark trim.
August 31, 2013 at 3:41pm     
pcmom1
You certainly know more than I! I have seen where adding just a small molding to an existing molding really gives a rich look. And since he mentioned budget, I though "reuse". But my suggestion might create a nightmare project!
August 31, 2013 at 5:54pm   
It is rare I would say this but I think I would leave all the moulding until you grow a money tree, and paint the walls and the moulding all the same color. I say this because these mouldings look small.
August 31, 2013 at 6:01pm   
Foxy Interiors Incorporated
I'm not sure where you live because the color of wood is indigenous to the area. However, I would paint all your wooden trim in ultra white to match your brick fireplace, especially since it's already been painted. Include all your wood trim: at the ceiling, around your door jambs, the floorboards and your doors. This will tie your room together for a more cohesive look. You may also want to group your like item accessories on your mantel. This gives them more impact. Right now you have them symmetrical. I would also choose a softer white for your walls, such as Navaho White. This will bring a nice contrast to all the bright white in the room.
August 31, 2013 at 6:12pm   
yazfletch
Ok, I should have been a little clear...this isn't our stuff! Hahaha I pulled the pic from Zillow to get started win my list of to dos going. Thanks for being so nice about the awful decor, thinking it was mine hahaha
August 31, 2013 at 6:24pm     
beeloved
Margo I'm with you, and Foxy gives the full strength for the entire room. It's going to look great! Congrats on your new home.
August 31, 2013 at 6:57pm     
Old paint on wood mouldings
Hello, We recently bought a 90-year old home. All...
Need help with old dark mouldings
I built my home in '98 when dark oak was in vogue (Cinnamon...
Wood crown moulding and crap baseboards...
I recently bought a house but the previous owners had...
new wood floors - baseboard and shoe mould question
I'm about to rip out carpet to have wood floors installed...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
What to put on this wall?
I am wondering what to put on the white wall to the...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
Mitered edge for marble or quartize ?
I.am wondering by putting the Mitered edge on the countertops...
help hide fence from porch, but also deal with strange grate in porch
The city mandated a light well on this side of house...