Help! Something lacking.
linakis
We have a holiday home in Greece which we rent out to holiday-makers. It's our aim to have our guests feel that they are in a holiday property (who wants home from home in a holiday property?!), give them a sense of Greece...light, airy and fresh rooms...but with a modern twist.

Upstairs we have an open plan living/kitchen/dining area which leads out to a balcony.
Basically I'm happy with the sofas, tables and colour scheme but feel that something is lacking. It all needs pulling together but I have limited imagination and would appreciate any suggestions for improvement from houzzers with a better eye than I :-)

Thank you in advance.
Angel18432
For a vacation rental I think you have done more than enough. Looks very nice and I would rent it in a minute.
My only suggestions would be the picture behind the table is too high. Lower it and maybe make a collage of other prints with it. Take out those black candles on the mantle. Remember, less is more.
September 1, 2013 at 4:02AM        Thanked by linakis
chemayne
Charming and inviting! Small adjustments only needed.
1) I would put the candelabra from the FP mantle on the dining table. The chunky green ones place them on the coffee table. Leave the mantle bare except for platter.
2) I like the art in the living area but it needs distance from the wall sconce. Perhaps move it right 2 inches and down 3 inches?
3) The art over the dining is a tad small. Consider getting 3 other similar size art and hanging them in a 2 x 2 arrangement. I just like this one.....

September 1, 2013 at 4:44AM        Thanked by linakis
chemayne
4) I would also grow some hardy herbs(rosemary, thyme, greek oregano) and lavender and put them in greek terracotta pots on the veranda/terrace. A greek holiday to me is all about enjoying the great outdoors.

September 1, 2013 at 5:45AM   
carolins
I'd be more than happy if I rented a holiday home and it looked as beautiful and light and welcoming as yours. For the finishing touches, I agree with chemayne's suggestions :-)
September 1, 2013 at 5:51AM        Thanked by linakis
indianpatti
Great space!

I would remove all of the wall sconces .. hang a larger piece of landscaped art over the table.

Remove one of the candelabras on the fireplace.
September 1, 2013 at 5:56AM      Thanked by linakis
suzannah48
indianpatti - that is a very nice painting - is it available somewhere ? Thanks
September 1, 2013 at 6:04AM   
Patricia Mahan
I would like to see more of the rustic wood quality of the fireplace mantel and the warmth of the ceiling and floor come together in either small accent tables or decorative accessories. The colors of all the furniture and walls need more contrast from the whites and neutral colors to set them apart more but keeping a sense of calmness and tranquility. Add something besides blue.
September 1, 2013 at 6:06AM        Thanked by linakis
Lynne Mysliwiec
I agree with the consensus - it's a lovely vacation house, Linakis. The picture near the dining table could be larger or could become part of a multiple-picture grouping. The color scheme is good - you could add a pop of contrasting color like terra-cotta in the pillows or as the table runner. Also, you might consider subtracting a few of the bowls and sculptures. Keep the white candlesticks, but get rid of the wrought iron or move them to the outdoor table. The sculptures of men on the fireplace and the white pottery vessels on the half wall are not necessary.

I cannot see the kitchen, but you may need a cabinet or shelving to hold the crockery that is currently piled on the counters if there is no place to store it now. When it comes to contemporary, keeping the decor items to a few that are beautiful and sculptural (love the coffee table) is the key.
September 1, 2013 at 6:16AM        Thanked by linakis
indianpatti
Suzannah, yes .. the painting is available: http://modern-art.mobi/landscape-painting/
September 1, 2013 at 6:22AM        Thanked by linakis
cami19
From a safety POV, I'd remove all of the candles. My BIL is a firefighter and says many if not most of the fires he puts out in homes are due to unattended candles. Don't GIVE your renters the kindling to start a fire in your property.
September 1, 2013 at 6:30AM        Thanked by linakis
cami19
Forget to comment on the decor! I agree with others that the artwork over the dining table is too small. I think the home looks lovely, but a little bit cold with all that white and blue. I'd maybe paint the three-sided wall above the fireplace a warm taupe to warm it up a bit. A tiny pop of red might also help, especially if you replace that dining area artwork with something with a bit of red in it.
September 1, 2013 at 6:34AM        Thanked by linakis
Gina Perillo
If you are considering purchasing art I have original abstract seascape/landscape pieces. I also offer custom paintings ~ Let me know if you have any questions :)
September 1, 2013 at 6:39AM   
linakis
Such a lot of advice and kind comments in such a short time...all excellent and such inspiration thank you so much.

I'll certainly be looking at all your suggestions re-the art over table by either replacing it with something bigger or making it part of a grouping.

The hanging above sofa has been set to the centre of the wall space between wall light and wall...which unfortunately makes it out of sync with the sofa. Being struck rigid with conformity I was afraid to do otherwise, but I'll certainly move it now.

As has been said..."less is more"...I'll listen to your advise and carry out a cull on candelabras, bowls etc.

Due to the 'cathedral' ceiling we don't have pendant lighting which is why we have wall lights/'sconces'. One of the photos shows nasty glass oval fittings which have now been replaced with Pols Potten star lights (seen in main living area photo). Much improved, but they are a pain in that they determine the positioning of art.

I'll plant up a few herbs asap!

Yes, I can see how bringing in the rustic wood from the fireplace would work - for starters I'll experiment with accessorizing by trying to get hold of a piece of driftwood...sculptural and natural...this perhaps will have more impact than the idle bits and pieces I have around.

To add another colour besides blue makes sense - but very scary. I'm open to any suggestions.

Appreciate your comments cami19 regarding safety, always something to bear in mind. Fortunately we only rent out in the warmer months saving us the worry of fire.
September 1, 2013 at 6:44AM     
linakis
Posted before I read your second comment Cami19. Thank you for the accent colour tips. On the staircase wall I have two very old pale terracotta roof tiles which have been made into wall lights by a local glass art gallery. The stained glass used is a very burnt orange...perhaps I could pick this up as an accent.

What gorgeous artwork on this page...Chemayne, Indianpatti and Gina Perillo. I will certainly look at your work for sale.
September 1, 2013 at 6:51AM     
Gina Perillo
Heres the link to my Etsy Shop- that probably would have helped to attach earlier. haha.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/gperillo

Thanks !
September 1, 2013 at 7:02AM   
Small bedroom seems to be lacking something. Help please!!
I wish our bedroom was bigger. Any suggestions to make...
Room lacking/Missing Something
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have already...
Room missing/lacking something, but I can't pinpoint what
Any suggestions?? Glass sliding door leads to lanai...
Small bedroom lacking something. Color?
I am temporarily living with my mother while my hubby...
Driveway entrance
Hi I have a Spanish style home and want to create a...
Average cost of a design
Hi I really need to redo my backyard. The covered porch...
Door or window???
We just bought this big house in QLD Australia. It's...
Multi chevron rug impossible to match
I picked up this rug because it has colors that allows...