Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlyoung

Need help with a chandelier and area rug for our new dining room!

Cami's Mom
10 years ago
Hi, everyone!

Our family moved into our new construction home 4 months ago. I need help with ideas for a chandelier to replace the builder's choice in our dining room. Although I have my grandmother's pecan buffet, china cabinet & chairs, the table is new, and our style is transitional/contemporary. The table seats 6-8 (42"x6'). The room is 10'10'x15'. 2' of the 15'; is an extended bay area. The ceilings are 9' and have a tray ceiling. Our budget is up to $500 for the chandelier.

We also need a run under the table, about 7'x9'.

There are lot's of pictures at this idea book: "rlyoung's dining room".

Thanks for any help!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Heather Bates Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This rug is by Surya. It's called Ceaser and is hand cut wool. I think it would look well in this room and would pick up all the colors, including the pecan, stripes on the chair and colors int he peacock painting and drapes. It's had a lot of likes on my FB page. I also know the people at Statewide lighting. In the $300-$500 range they have quite a few pretty chandys...here is the link: http://bit.ly/19YGs3h
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Love the way you have tied your grandmother's pieces with the new table. Did you re-upholster the chairs?
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much. Yes, I did reupholster the chairs. The original fabric had ivory medallion on a harvest gold field. :-)
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Laurence, is there a particular style fixture you would recommend (or steer clear of)?
  • 2dogssashatess
    10 years ago
    I like your mirrors but I do not think they work with what appears to be more cottage style furniture. I would recommend either the mirrors or the furniture go somewhere else
    Cami's Mom thanked 2dogssashatess
  • PRO
    Jayne Bunce Design
    10 years ago
    How lucky you are to have beautiful furniture that is part of your heritage to use in your fantastic new home!

I agree that the mirrors have to go. Too big and tall for the breakfront. Use more horizontal art or sconces.

Yes I think you did upholster those chairs. The fabric is lovely but they should really be done by a professional to get the padding and the crown correct. Right now they really do not look very comfortable to sit in. Perhaps adding a skirted seat would add more personality to the room. Look at slipcovered chairs for ideas and styles. That would work so well with the style of your furnishings.

As far as chandelier is concerned, look as ebay and craigs list to stay in budget and get the max for your $. Something iro with glass beading for a touch of whimsy would be nice as mentioned before. Look at size and function first. Rule of thumb is chandelier diameter is 1/2 width of table. Bottom of chandelier should be about 30" from top of table. think function too. Will you need extra lighting from this fixture for board games and craft projects and homework or is it just for mood when dining?

Good luck and have fun in your new home!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Something like this will be nice in your dining room. On sale, only one left:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/bronze-and-draped-crystal-32-and-one-half-inch-wide-chandelier__v8375.html

I haven't checked the size though!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    ?
  • hadrahana
    10 years ago
    there are some interesting handblown glass chandeliers (just google "handblown glass chandeliers") out there...if you are thinking in the contemporary direction, although that room is looking more traditional to me :)
  • hadrahana
    10 years ago
    here is a handblown chandelier in a transitional setting
    Cami's Mom thanked hadrahana
  • hadrahana
    10 years ago
    I also found some amazing chandeliers by googling: "DIY chandelier"
  • hadrahana
    10 years ago
    some examples...
  • shellface1
    10 years ago
    I have a similar type of dining room in a new construction house and I just switched out my chandelier with this one from restoration hardware which is more traditional
  • shellface1
    10 years ago
    Also, pottery barn has a bird medallion rug that would work
  • linlac
    10 years ago
    How about a drum shade chandelier. Shades of light has many options of drum design so you can customize your look. You could look for something that ties the blues, grays, and pecan tones. Crystal or no crystal and double drums available. They also have rugs on their website.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I put some of the other suggestions together with your dining room, so you can see:
    Cami's Mom thanked Carolina
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jayne, thanks so much for your feedback. I'll check out something different for the china cabinet wall. And, thanks for the guidelines on fixture sizes/placement.
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins - Love that light fixture and rug. The light ties nicely to the black buffet lamps. Thanks so much! Will a 32 1/2" chandelier be too wide for the 42" wide table?
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hadrahana - Wow! Those are fabulous! Thanks!
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shellface1 - Congratulations on your beautiful new home. Your dining room is beautiful, and I'll check out RH today. Thank you.
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can't wait to visit our local Pottery Barn for that rug, too.
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Linlac - Thank you for these great drum options!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Usually you'll need a chandelier that's the width of the table minus 1 foot. But I think that a somewhat larger chandelier is better than a smaller one.

Here's an interesting ideabook, follow the link under the pic:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/hang-the-perfect-light-over-your-holiday-table-stsetivw-vs~784385
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You rock, Carolins!
  • linlac
    10 years ago
    Looked at your ideabook and love your curtains and your peacock. Would it be possible to paint the chairs? I would consider switching the china cabinet with the buffet and artwork. The china cabinet seems short and small and may work on the other wall. I think the buffet and the artwork would make a better focal point on the main wall. You could buy some thin foam board and cover in wallpaper for the inside of your china cabinet.
  • Cami's Mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I originally had the buffet on the larger wall. Unfortunately, you could see the china cabinet from outside, and it looked awful. I really like your wallpaper idea. Thanks, again.