Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachfeingold

I'm stuck! -- just moved in...Need help final touches in "family room"

rachfeingold
10 years ago
Hi, ya'll! Thank you in advance for your thoughts and help. All comments and photo ideas will be super appreciated.

So... I got very excited with this room when I first moved in and knew exactly what I wanted to do with the sofa and chair. I like my arrangement so far but I just need help with final touches to really pull everything together and make it a great space.

1. The cube storage unit fits perfectly on the wall it's on now.. But it's just kind of blah and I just keep shoving things there and can conceptualize what to do next to actually make it look less like a junk corner. The hodge lodge collection of photos, random print on the wall, and horrible lamp kind of represent my whole "blah" feeling when I look at this corner.

2. My back wall behind the couch is empty I bought the beautiful yellow peonies painting and was going to hang it in the middle of the back wall but if I did that now, it'd be off center with the couch. But if i hung it to align with the couch it'd be off center on the wall..... Does that matter?

3. My cute puppy needs a place for her crate, this is really the best spot for her but its a complete eyesore. Metal cages went out in the 80s! Oh wait, they were never "in" > darn!

4. I have a cute little breakfast nook area that is now serving as a catch all -- how can I stop this and make it have a defined purpose?

5. Just overall: how can I make my room look complete??!

See below -- I've attached photo of the general style/colors I'm going for.

Thank you!!!!!

Comments (34)

• rachfeingold
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What I'm "going for"
  • User
    10 years ago
    Why don't you put your yellow painting above the cube box thing and take off all the stuff from the top of the cube thing so it doesn't look cluttered. Then put several small pictures more higgledy piggledy along the back wall behind the sofa?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    What is to the left of the tv?? A table?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I actually get a good feeling when I look at this room.....love what you are doing to it.

Move the coffee table closer to the couch.....18 inches. Get more yellow pillows for the couch and the chair.

Take the pics down that are on the sides of the big window....they are too high and too small for right there. Move them over to the shelving unit and hang them there. Take down the little itty bitty one floating up there. Clear everything off the top of that for now. The items that go in each space need a purpose to be there....something special....not kleenex. Do you have a collection of anything? What was the plan when you bought it?

Hang the picture on that back wall.....it is perfect for that wall and that space.....right like you have it.

Can you find another stool for that nook area? You will just need to tell yourself that dumping stuff there is NOT an option.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Consider turning the cube shelving in the corner on its side so that it is a tall unit that shows more wall beside it. Remove all picture frames for now.
  • rachfeingold
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the TV wall... I have a cube mirror table that I love just sitting there because I don't know what to do with it...
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Art too small take one above ottoman put on other wall with one you have just add it under that one, leave 2" between. You are hanging things too high. Remove lamp from corner. And ottoman. Add a big palm in nice big pot like yellow. You can add plant light behind on floor for nice effect at night. Put wIndow covers on two windows. Roman in same color you have on slider. You seem to have a lot of furn in a very small room. What can you remove to another room?
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Wow! That's a nice mirrored cube! If you have 2 I would put them on the rug as coffee table substitutes! Breaks up the "lots of' wood in the room.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I must be seeing part of the counter in that first pic to have thought there was something there by the tv. Thanks for the extra pics!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Remove chest behind sofa. Push sofa back on wall. Remove bookcases on side wall. Put a end table by sofa add a table lamp in yellow base and white drum shade. Add floor lamp to other side of sofa add a dark gray drum shade. Add another bar stool like you have. Pic behind sofa won't work may ind home in hall wall by bar? Hang low. Hold pic in ring of you walk straight ahead that is where center of pic. Will be on wall. Or 4-6" above top of furn. Next to window behind sofa. Add a tall 36" & 24" wide picture. Stay in yellows. Ad some yellow to sofa pillows.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Coffee table 8" from front of sofa yours is too far out in room.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Push TV down towards bar by 12"
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    First thing I noticed, as well, toriwebb. Additionally, You might try facing the the couch toward the view, w console behind. The TV might move down the wall to the corner. Switch out the dog crate for a furniture grade crate, and you can use it as a side table between chair- seems you could use a second one - and couch. Stronger yellow is needed here, in lined drapery panels at the door, and accent pillows for the sofa. Your current cushions can move to the chair. Perhaps your standing lamp might live in another room. Current artwork (small) would look better together, one atop the other. Reed blinds will add nice texture new woodtones. You will at this point have more room for artwork ( I think the collection mentioned above would be fine) and it should take up some space! If you move the couch, it might even lean against the wall rather than hang.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    The cubes as coffee table is great. Get another one and place 18" from sofa place with 7-10" between. Nothing on top. Coffee tale ones. Have garage sell.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Covered cab. for the TV would be a good idea, and the mirrored cube makes a great end table, why are you punishing it in the corner?? Very nice piece!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You cold put yellow pic behind sofa on wall where bookcase is hang 30" approx from floor.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    I like idea of armoire for TV and stuff. Center on wall get a tall one dark wood 6 ft tall. That would fill wall better.
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    I wish the console your tv is on had doors, I think not being able to see the extra clutter there would be nice! I think your room has a great start and you are getting tons of good ideas.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    We seem to be repeating alot of the same things - hope it is proving useful!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    A chandelier instead of fan. Hang 36-40" above coffee table. Go on line. Not too big. A modern look maybe brush nickel.
  • janshopsalot
    10 years ago
    Turn the cabinet behind sofa so backs up to sofa. Lower the picture in the corner and put a small table there or add greenery to soften the edges of the room. You could even use greens and sticks. Add pillows, etc for color. Visit Homegoods and pier I for ideas.
  • janshopsalot
    10 years ago
    More color! Don't be afraid!
  • janshopsalot
    10 years ago
    Can you use the cabinet behind the couch for the TV? The piece that holds the TV is too small for it. Take away the lamp behind the TV. I think you just need to move out the small pieces and rethink their placement. Take down the pictures, too. As they are, they are too small for where they are. Group like pictures. Move coffee table closer to sofa and add a plant or flowers there, a tray, a candlestick, etc. think color and stick to two or three strong colors.
  • rachfeingold
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think I'm gathering here so far too is that the way I have it arranged (or photographed) makes it look small, it's actually 20x15 -- a pretty good sized room. Hmmm... If I move the couch to the wall, my rug would look odd in the middle of the room not touching anything. Or just touching furniture with a large gap in front of media center (which definitely needs to be covered, agreed)... The rug is 8x10'.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    And if you turned the direction of the rug, would it even work with the couch?
  • rachfeingold
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'm open to all ideas! Yep, good to hear a lot of repeat ideas so that's a sign!
  • PRO
    Amy Canary
    10 years ago
    I love your rug and couches! The yellow is great. Can the cube storage unit be turned in the other direction so something tall in the room? I also think the piece behind the couch should be moved and push the couch back. It is often so hard to place a tv. It seems as though it becomes the main focus in a room. Did you try and place it on a different wall? Maybe the piece behind the sofa could be used for the tv since it is longer. Do you like the traffic pattern that has been defined by your furniture placement?
  • Corinne Morse
    10 years ago
    Check out GO!PETDESIGN on etsy for cute dog crate.
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    This is a Gopet:
    http://planetluxus.com/wp-content/uploads/Peter-Pracilio-Go-Pet-Design-Gold-eiCrate1.jpg

This is furniture grade I mentioned w floating seating group (lots to choose from here):
    http://www.brookstone.com/webassets/product_images/700x700/711705p.jpg

Lighter treatment to go with stick blinds:
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4863652136552663&pid=15.1
  • designgene
    10 years ago
    You're getting great ideas here. My favorites are to move the credenza/buffet behind the sofa to the tv wall, and then consider if you should wall-mount the tv. Make your mirror cube a side table to the armchair. That person needs a place to set her beverage.

Bring the soft forward a foot or so, and put the cube thing backed up behind the sofa. That will make its openings non-visible when you enter the room, but visible in the "hallway" you've created behind the sofa. Hang that fabulous long painting above that cube thing on the wall where you've marked it.

Yes, more curtains, floor to ceiling like on the sliding glass door.

Reserve the now-empty wall space where the cube thing was for a fabulous huge painting, a stick-on mural, or two German school charts/posters (search Jung Koch Quentell charts) , like the ones attached. https://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=educational+posters

Change the fan light and add table lamps. Big ficus tree to right of the sliding glass door.

Really great to see how the inspiration is translating in your space!
  • Kim D
    10 years ago
    Oh man you are so close to your inspiration picture. I love the peonies print, would you consider hanging it over the cubes. I have cubes in my house that cover an entire wall from floor to ceiling. I filled almost each cube with one large white ceramic item, cubes without ceramic item have books. It looks great and clean. You could consider that with white items or yellow items. Add more sets of drapes to the other windows and edit other small pieces. That's my two cents. Thanks for sharing your space.
  • E L
    6 years ago

I think your coffee is too small and you should get glass/chrome to achieve the look in the photo. Wayfair and Overstock have lots of inexpensive choices

• Gerry
    6 years ago
    Post is from 2013.