Insulating garage
ethicist
September 1, 2013 in Other
I am building a new house. The lot is graded at approx a 45ยบ angle sloping down front to back. This means that the about 1/2 of the garage walls are covered. However, this is Chicago as so I am wondering whether I should insulate the walls during construction and get an insulated garage door. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimdee24
I would.
0 Likes   Thanked by ethicist    September 1, 2013 at 6:19PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
me too...and waterproof those foundation walls like crazy, drain mats and perforated pipe to daylight!
0 Likes   Thanked by ethicist    September 1, 2013 at 6:21PM
PRO
Linda
I think you answered your own question when you mentioned Chicago - you'll appreciate the benefits of that extra expense when it gets down to 20 below outside
0 Likes   Thanked by ethicist    September 1, 2013 at 8:09PM
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed, anywhere that gets below freezing should be insulated.
0 Likes   Thanked by ethicist    September 2, 2013 at 5:33AM
PRO
J Cubed Custom Inc
It sounds like the garage is attached, right? Thats here nor there really. If the garage is heated then you most definitely need to insulate otherwise your just burning dollars. Now I live in a city where it's below freezing 4-6 months a year and thousands of garages both attached and detached are uninsulated. The question you need to ask yourself is if its heated otherwise what are you insulating? I'm just stating this as the devils advocate Is all. Obviously if you want to insulate its always going to be better both in a heated or unheated situation. I'm just saying its not code it's optional.
0 Likes   Thanked by ethicist    September 2, 2013 at 10:07AM
ethicist
Thanks for your comment. The garage is on the bottom level w/ a great room above (R38 insulation between). There will also be a family room off the garage (not sure about the R-factor in the walls). At present, garage is unheated. Even if I decided to heat it--would probably not use the home system to do so as garage door would not be air tight.
0 Likes   September 2, 2013 at 10:19AM
PRO
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
Hi ethicist. I would recommend insulating the walls with at least R19- if possible-and using that insulated garage door.
And here's a tip-
In the garage ceiling , -get pricing on having a cell foam insulation sprayed in there-. I've built many, many living spaces above garage projects here in New England, and the same condition always occurs-even with the R38 fiberglass batt installed correctly and tight to the floor underside, it eventually allows cold air to collect between the batt and your heated space subfloor. The cellular foam sticks directly to the subfloor, helps to keep them feeling warm underfoot. I know it will seem a little pricey initially, but trust me, you'll know it was a good call the first frigid week with that lake effect wind blowing. Good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by ethicist    September 2, 2013 at 10:46AM