Vote on The Layout of Kitchen: Table Orientation
Brian KaneSeptember 2, 2013
I'm in the process of designing kitchen for new house, and have gotten a few different opinions about layout for the kitchen table. While it seems like a small decision, it impacts on the size of the island we can put in, so would love to hear any opinions as to pros/cons of each.
Kitchen Table Layout 1
Kitchen Table Layout 2
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lnm56
Where is the island going to be placed and is it permanent? I voted for the first layout because I think the second layout would be more intrusive into the kitchen space. It's curious to me that the placement of the table is dictating the size of the island. Unless the table is an antique or family piece, wouldn't it be simpler to have the island dictate the size and shape of the table?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Brian Kane    September 2, 2013 at 6:06AM
Brian Kane
thanks very much!.....the island is the white rectangle in the center of the kitchen and will be permanent....we're trying to maintain a fairly large table in the kitchen dining area (72" in length to accommodate 6), and as such, if we go with option #2, the space between the island and the table could be somewhat narrow if we extend the island.....(Current plan is for an 8 foot island, but we're trying to figure out if we could go to a 9 foot without creating a situation where its too crowded between island and the kitchen dining area)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 6:14AM
groveraxle
Layout #1 is totally a better use of space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Brian Kane    September 2, 2013 at 6:24AM
lnm56
Thanks for clarifying. In layout 1, it looks like you have enough room to add an extra foot to the island but I wouldn't try it with the second layout. Best of luck and would love to see some photos when it's done.
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 7:13PM
PRO
Drafting & Soil Monitoring Services LLC
Layout 1 is a great pick. Also consider this affordable house plan. Easily downloaded for under $380. It is a modest home plan that features a nice foyer, large family room with a fireplace, a coffer ceiling in the formal dining room, large open kitchen and breakfast area. Master suite has two large closets and an adjoining full bathroom with a walk-in shower. This house plan has 3 additional large bedrooms, 2 additional bathrooms and a bonus room. It is a very nice layout and includes a keeping room. The total area includes bonus area. Also offering modifications to any home plan. http://www.houseplansbydsms.com/shop/2-story-house-plans/house-plan-121a/
    Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 7:46PM