Keep rug?
wallybearmom
I've asked this question before but failed to include shots of the room which is small and has a lot of bold colourful art. Should I keep the rug and layer something flat underneath? Or should I go with something solid to calm things down a bit? Any feedback much appreciated!
Barnhart Gallery
From this photo, it looks tone-on-tone enough not to read as terribly busy. But it depends very much on your other focal points -- does this work with the art? Its bold colors? Mood you're setting?

Although this looks great with your furnishings pictured here, if there's a great deal of color and pattern elsewhere, I'd suggest sisal, perhaps.
September 2, 2013 at 7:18am   
wallybearmom
There's a lot of colourful art and the room is fairly small. I found a wool rug that would hide a multitude of sins but it's fairly scratchy.
September 2, 2013 at 7:24am   
Barnhart Gallery
Hi again wallybearmom -- From this next photo, I think your rug can work. Your art is large and the palate confined, and you're otherwise minimal, so a bit of visual texture on the floor is just fine.
September 2, 2013 at 7:29am      Thanked by wallybearmom
Jackie Rhodes
Yep, looks great. Muted but lovely. Love the art. Is the couch missing the seat cushions? :-)
September 2, 2013 at 7:39am      Thanked by wallybearmom
wallybearmom
Yes, it's missing the seat cushions! That's a whole other issue which the Houzz members helped me with - they'll be back in their rightful positions tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help. I just have one final question regarding the layering rug. I've included two shots of potential contenders:
September 2, 2013 at 7:42am   
junef22
I like the rug as it is. The colors are muted and neutral enough that it does not compete with your other elements. You can almost never go wrong with a classic oriental, in my opinion!
September 2, 2013 at 11:35am      Thanked by wallybearmom
wallybearmom
I mentioned it before but forgot to do it here! The rug is too small, although it's hard to tell from the pics. The front feet of the sofa aren't sitting on it and it won't work if I turn it around. So this is why I think I need a layering rug underneath or move the rug to another room and get something bigger.
September 2, 2013 at 1:26pm   
Redecorating long dark rectangular living room
I have a long rectangular living room which I feel...
Can a rug be placed over carpet?
Our master bedroom is carpeted. Can I put a rug over...
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...
Want to do a kitchen remodel.
Newly divorced and moving at the end of the month and...
BM Revere Pewter for walls - what corresponding color for niches??
Love BM Revere Pewter - I'm using this color to paint...