Help with sink in front of low kitchen window
coldspaghetti
Dear Houzz Community,

We are renovating an 1895 New Orleans home. We are conducting extensive renovation, including bringing the kitchen and bathrooms into the main living areas of the house. We need to have the kitchen sink (and assorted "things" found around a kitchen sink -- specifically dishwasher and trash/compost area) centered along a 7' window in the room. The problem is that the large double window is only 28" off the floor. The trim starts at 28", with the actual glass of the window begins at 36". In short, the window is just a few inches short of fitting into a counter-height arrangement. (I've attached a photos of the room/window -- just for the sake of imagination, note that the wall to the right will be removed.)

For a variety of reasons, changing the window is not possible.

What may we do to accommodate this? Build over the bottom of the window? Build around the window? Something else?

We are open to sink ideas -- though are set on a large (30-36") single-bowl sink of any material.

All ideas/suggestions appreciated!

Thank you!
Holly
brickln
Build the sink into an island and place counter seating along the window wall.
September 2, 2013 at 7:54pm        Thanked by coldspaghetti
Gantt's Decorating
If there is not room for an island, You could deepen the sink unit enough to create a space about 10" wide and the width of the window. Line it in something that won't leak and grow flowers and maybe herbs between the sink and window.
September 2, 2013 at 8:06pm        Thanked by coldspaghetti
coldspaghetti
Thank you both for these suggestions! Gantt: you are correct in that there is not enough room for an island (I do have a salvage butcher block piece that was found on the property that I'd like to refinish and use in lieu of having the space for an island). My husband read your post and immediately suggested we use the space between the window as you suggested, but create a drain so that the plants could drain into the same drain as the sink -- perfect for orchids! (He loves building in these little extras!) I wonder if I can find some examples of this elsewhere? THANK YOU BOTH. How exciting to get ideas!
September 2, 2013 at 8:20pm     
brickln
Years ago in BHG I think, I saw a photo of cabinets run across a window. Laminate was used to protect the cabinet and sill, and a garden style window was installed.
In this case, I think your windows are far too lovely to block or risk water damage. I would use that space as an eating area or prep island and design an L shaped workspace along the wall opposite the fireplace.
September 3, 2013 at 2:00am      Thanked by coldspaghetti
Gantt's Decorating
I don't have pictures but I saw it done once in a new house with a copper liner. I like the drain idea. Naturally I would expect you would keep it out to the edge of the sill so the integrity of the window is protected and does not spoil the appearance from outside. Love to see it finished if you do it. Bill
September 3, 2013 at 7:01am      Thanked by coldspaghetti
carolins
How about something like this, a large free standing kitchen/island and you can use the walls flanking the fireplace for storage cabinets and ovens at eye level. These images are very contemporary in style, but you could use more traditional cabinet doors/drawer fronts to create a whole different look.

Kitchens
The home of Geert and Cecilia
September 3, 2013 at 7:26am        Thanked by coldspaghetti
jilljill24
I have had this problem in the last two apartments i've lived in. In the most recent, we put a Corian worksurface at the correct worktop height along in front of the window, and built a "trough" also in Corian down behind the sink and up to the window at the height of the window's actual sill. We put a slight lip at the back so that water didn't spill down the back. It actually made a great place to put a couple of plants and a radio.

It's a bit hard to see but here is a picture of it anyway.
September 3, 2013 at 7:39am        Thanked by coldspaghetti
Sustainable Dwellings
Put cabinets with sink, stove, fridge on the free wall. Don't mess with that window. Use a "floating" island on wheels for function.
September 3, 2013 at 7:41am        Thanked by coldspaghetti
Low windows in front of Kitchen base cabinets
Hello, FINALLY, I find a picture which shows the same...
Need help with low cottage windows in my kitchen!
We have an old cottage with a gorgeous exposed stone...
HAVE TO SELECT KITCHEN FAUCET WITH BAY WINDOW LEDGE IN FRONT OF SINK
HAVE A 9 INCH SPACE FROM GRANITE TOP ONCE INSTALLED...
kitchen sink and front entry help
2 quick questions: 1: Does the front hallway need...
White glass subway or carrera subway with black/white granite
Help! Should I do white glass subway tiles or carrera...
Adding curb appeal to my 1946 home
I live in a 1946 Bungalow in the Riverside Ca Wood...
Which way would you hang this mirror....
Hi there.....have this large mirror.....1.75m X 1.05m....
Laundry is in the garage, need to give the garage a boost.
Two car garage one of the cars pulls up to the washer....