Exterior needs facelift
kambria123
We aren't sure what to do in order to improve the look of our exterior. We have ordered black steel wall fixtures to start. Wondering what colour should the door be? Garage door colour? We took the shutters off because the previous owner bought ones that were too small. Should we have shutter and what size? Your help is appreciated.
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Always good to know what kind of budget we're working with! Wood garage doors, with canopy over garage opening would add more character to the front (it has character already)! would also fill the 'space' between garage door and window above. Most important, have fun with the project!
September 3, 2013 at 12:33pm     
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Saw this on Houzz - as an example
September 3, 2013 at 12:40pm     
handymam
What a lovely house!

I actually like the color of your front door! What I would suggest changing is the matal railing. It would look nicer if it were heavier, like a wooden one or vinyl even. I think shutters only on the window over the garage if you want to do shutters at all. I would rather see a window box under that window, but only if you will maintain it with some nice color and traling variety plants. I think new larger house numbers would be nice. I would probably move the flagpole to the side near the edge of the porch, where you can reach it to take it in each night.

I would most likely rip out that piece of grass by the sidewalk and continue the flower bed there as well. (You may want to make a rock or block ege there to keep the mulch from running into the driveway when it rains.) A nice hydrangea would fill that space nicely and still allow access to the meter there. You could repeat the hydrangea or whatever you put on the left, on the right and add annuals along the front edge of both sides to add some extra color. The plants growing in front of the foundation plants look like a little trimming would help.
September 3, 2013 at 12:41pm     
kambria123
These are such great suggestions. I was thinking about hydrangeas too. I like the window box. Would it be rod iron or wood? The cover over the garage is out of our budget I think- but I'll show my husband. I just spent about four days cleaning the rust off that railing and painting it lol! But I'll have a look at other railing options.
September 3, 2013 at 12:49pm     
handymam
You did a great job! It is okay for now if your budget does not allow. I tend to just throw all the ideas out there, even for future plans, lol! I like the vinyl boxes that they have at Gardener's supply or elsewhere, or else wood. Black would look nice for your house. Forgot to mention a new lampost down the road too, lol!
September 3, 2013 at 1:03pm     
Viribus
I definitely think you need some raised panel shutters and you should look into the corner keystones to adhere to the corners of your brick in a tone that matches your stonework.

This is a picture of what I'm describing.
September 3, 2013 at 1:49pm     
Viribus
Oops, forgot the picture.....
September 3, 2013 at 1:50pm   
kambria123
What colour do you think the shutters should be? White? Also I'm not sure what corner keystones are- any other pictures? Thanks for your help.
September 3, 2013 at 3:59pm   
Timberlane Inc.
A pair of raised panels or board and batten shutters would go great with your home. We would recommend a color that blends with the stone or matches your garage door.
September 4, 2013 at 1:45pm     
handymam
Really? What kitchen would that be Frank, lol?
September 5, 2013 at 4:56am     
mefor
Can't you see it handy? It's a lovely kitchen, just peek in the window and around the corner to the left. ;)

If you do want to get shutters, make sure they're the proper width for the window. The deep black/green door color would be lovely as a shutter color too.
September 5, 2013 at 5:02am     
mefor
The trim on house would look lovely in a color like this, less harsh than the white.
Benjamin Moore featherbed
September 5, 2013 at 5:11am   
mefor
Maybe something like this over the garage doors or the window above.
If you use shutters, should only be wide ones on window over garage, nothing at the picture window on the right :)
September 5, 2013 at 5:14am   
Timberlane Inc.
Yes, mforr we would suggest nothing other than properly fitted shutters!
September 5, 2013 at 5:33am     
mefor
Timberlane, it would probably be a great idea for you guys to have a program where you could superimpose the proper size of shutters in a variety of styles right on the photo that is posted in dilemma. When the original poster sees how wonderful the real, functioning shutters can look on their house, they will be much more likely to get in touch and consider your shutters. Which are lovely :)
September 5, 2013 at 5:54am     
mefor
There's certainly enough space on either side of the upper windows for a nice wide shutter that would fit over each window. Not that you would close them,but the point is, they should be able to be closed if you wanted that option. Even if you never closed them, the proportion would then be correct. Plus, when they are mounted properly, on hinges, you have dimension, which you would never get with a flat, vinyl, fake shutter screwed into the wall.
September 5, 2013 at 5:58am     
Timberlane Inc.
We are in the very beginning processes of brainstorming for that specific application! We're right behind you mforr.
September 5, 2013 at 5:59am     
mefor
Ah ha!! I knew someone was following me ;)
September 5, 2013 at 6:03am     
mefor
You can send my check care of houzz. ;)
September 5, 2013 at 6:03am     
handymam
Now if you can only come up with your own color app mforr!
September 5, 2013 at 6:17am     
ktk1961
Your home is charming. Aside from the mid-century modern casement windows (which lack any mullions to divide the window into smaller panes), the house definitely has Colonial-style leanings. A post-WWII Colonial Revival split. I would take it further in that direction, adding appropriately sized shutters, mullions to windows, change out the lanterns as you plan, and add the window box.

I know you just invested time and effort in the railing, which is fine as is. But, I think a Chippendale-style railing would significantly add to the charm factor you already have going. Just my opinion ...
September 5, 2013 at 6:28am     
mefor
Nicely done ktk1961 :)
September 5, 2013 at 6:42am     
ktk1961
Thanks, mforr! I love houses like this!
September 5, 2013 at 6:52am     
mefor
You've given it the extra charm it needed. :)
September 5, 2013 at 6:55am     
soberg
The house is already quite charming and character-filled. Lovely shapes and proportions. It just needs a few tweaks.

The railing isn't ideal but it's perfectly fine for now. Low $$ changes would be: painting garage door darker, possibly a brick color, to de-emphasize it and put the emphasis more on front door. Change grass next to driveway to planting bed with mini-wall on the low side. Use taller plant to screen the water meter (?). Get place to hang hose also discreetly screened from view. Find little stands (1' foot high or so) to elevate your porch pots so they can be seen above the railing. And then your house is gorgeous!
September 5, 2013 at 8:48am     
handymam
ktk, you have done what I saw in my mind! I better watch out for your mind reading skills! Beautiful job of bring these suggestions to life!
September 5, 2013 at 9:00am     
sellaginella
The house is very nice but this amateur says that the garage section is overshadowing the rest of the house by it's darker shade. I don't know that's the way I see it. Me a bit on the dumb side of course.
September 5, 2013 at 10:34am   
kambria123
Ktk1961 thank you so much for the drawing! I really like the style of shutters and the plant placing. The windows are a tough one since the big one is new, but I agree they need some more dimension. Again, thanks for bringing all the comments together.
September 5, 2013 at 3:52pm     
kambria123
Soberg,
Thanks for your suggestions! They're also great. I really like the idea of raising up the flower pots.
September 5, 2013 at 3:54pm     
ktk1961
Only point on which I would disagree (respectfully!) with soberg, If you paint the garage door, I would not recommend painting it a color close to your bricks, which would just make the garage face of the house appear too monolithic, and therefore more prominent. Personally, I think the white door helps to break up that portion of the facade of your house. If the idea is to attract more attention to your front door, which isn't a bad impulse, I would recommend going with a brighter color like blue, sage green, or even yellow.
September 5, 2013 at 6:36pm     
sellaginella
Exterior coordination
September 5, 2013 at 9:07pm     
sellaginella
Coordination
September 5, 2013 at 9:13pm     
kambria123
I definitely am looking for some more coordination. I just feel like there are way too many things happening. I was thinking about toning down the front door more since I really don't like the mortar of the bricks. The garage door is more of a cream colour- which matches the eaves but not the windows. I like the idea of drawing your eye up to the window above the garage with a window box and shutters.
September 7, 2013 at 5:36pm     
Exterior facelift. Need exterior paint suggestions.
Hi - I'm going to be replacing and updating the portico....
Need Help with Ranch Exterior Facelift
Hello everyone, Any ideas how I can give this exterior...
Need exterior facelift...
The neighborhood has some beautiful craftsman homes...
Split level needs exterior facelift or design help!
Hello. Here's my 1950s stone split level house. We...
House Exterior and Front Yard Need a Facelift - Ideas?
We've just purchased this house, and I really hate...
The Wanna be Old Painted Cottage
I would like yo re-upholster this retro couch and chair...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Quick help
How can I fix this eye sore corner of our yard by tomorrow?...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Should sidelights on a front door be the same height as the door?
Imagine a horizontal plank door in the middle. This...