Love my Houzers! Need more feedback on color/table!
krf10
September 3, 2013
I have done a ton of work in my DR and LR thanks to many Houzerz input!!! . Now i am settled on my rooms -- almost! But am stuck on 1- coffee table 2- rug color for LR. Also moved our main light fixture below DR table and added a new light over our LR table. Not sure I am sold on LR light fixture?

My DR will soon have a zebra rug to tie in my zebra chair in LR :-) hope it works!!

Any help on a rug color and coffee table would b awesome!!!
Laurence Tillett
Chandelier over table is too high. I can't remember the rule of thumb, (you can google it), but the chandelier should be no higher than xx inches above the middle of the table. And remember...a little zebra (or any animal print) goes a long way. Looking good!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 2:58PM
littlehoneybee
The dining room rug should be big enough that the chair legs remain on the rug when pulled away from the table for sitting. The current one looks small, so the replacement would need to be a bit larger.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 4:42PM
um3g
I agree, chandelier's too hight & too small too.
Rug has to go - looks too classic/persian in this setting, but zebra, I'd add an accent, like a runner or sthng on the table. Putting a larger size in zebra - not sure how that will look. I'd prefer going safe and adding accents in the dining room the same shade as the red/maroonish cushions in the living room.
Also, more of the blue throw color can be added
1 Like    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 4:49PM
Hope your zebra rug is 4 feet wider and longer than your dining table or it won't work. I'd switch out the light fixtures and lower the round one to 36" or less above the table. I think the shade of blue that is in the art above the sofa would really bring your space to life! Not crazy about either of your area rugs or the table lamp right now. They aren't adding anything special to the space. You need a round coffee table with glass to add a bit of sparkle.
Fusion Round Cocktail Table
Hammary Urbana Round Coffee Table
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 4:57PM
Genevieve
Was the living room previously used as a dining room ? The chandelier you cannot lower because it will hit you on the head ,my idea would be to change to something closer to the ceiling instead.

You already have a zebra print chair in the room adding a rug of the same pattern would be a bit much ,at least I think so. instead you could go with something a little different .

if you can ,picture this colours in the room they pick up the art and compliment the rest of the colours

I like the zebra rugs posted above otherwise
1 Like    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:10PM
krf10
@decoenthusiaste: i got an 8:10 zebra print rug in brown, almost identical to the one below. I have that other rug as a place holder :)

Blue table Lamp-ok i agree, its not sitting w me either. I kept the tag on it until I got some feedback. Back to square one with lamp.

The dining fixture we have had for 2 years, not sure I can return it :(
But LR is new. What if I swapped them out???

I was thinking round table too-like the ideas!! And was looking at blue-ish accent rugs!! "Phew" at least I am learning :-)
    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:11PM
Yes, I was thinking you could swap the lights around.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:15PM
krf10
@ Genevieve: the zebra rug would go in my Dining room :)

Maybe the light in the living room is too "dining-room" looking? And no, living room was never a dining room. We had a light in the middle of the great room but many people said it made no sense so I had my husband pull electrical to separate the rooms & add a fixture in LR. ;)
    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:16PM
Genevieve
The zebra rug in the dining room ,yes:) Unless you set the table right under the light it would work , the reason why I asked if it was a dining room prior to the living room is because I had done it in our previous home .:) at this point I would get something like this

3 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:25PM
joyannello
I agree that you should swap the lighting between LR & DR. As I see little people chairs in DR you may want to consider a round ottoman as a coffee table which is a great alternative when you have kids about. TJMaxx & Home Goods have good options. I think you need a stronger lamp on your LR end table, one that is taller and you could try to echo the styling of the DR fixture if you do a swap out. Adore your LR drapes and art over sofa! Good luck!
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:30PM
krf10
@ Genevieve: is that light for DR? Its pretty
    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 5:42PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Did you ever try the DR rug in the LR? I agree you should put the chandelier in the DR but not vice versa. Here are some ideas for the LR.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:07PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Some different styles for coffee tables.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:21PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The zebra chair could use one of these.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 6:22PM
Genevieve
Actually that light was intended for the living room, for the dining room a longer one would be my choice:)

1 Like    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 7:19PM
Ann
The blue table lamp looks too small.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 7:32PM
krf10
@ Lydia, where are those tables from? :-)
    Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 11:14PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Glad you like them! I thought you could go with some variety in the furniture (different shapes and textures) to give the room more interest. The colours and circular shapes of the furniture tie in with the painting.

At the usual suspects..... :)

www.zgallerie.com
www.westelm.com
www.crateandbarrel.com
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:48AM
krf10
Ok cool - so the little table would be good next to zebra chair by window?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 9:30AM
krf10
Also really struggling with table lamp!?! I have biught and returned 4 already!!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 9:31AM
krf10
@Genevieve I also like that light-where is that from?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 9:32AM
Light not working. Looks to much like a dining light. And it's too high. Put a dark brown bamboo on window. Blinds not good. Love the art.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:34AM
Change panels to a smaller teal like in pic. Rug could be lighter too. More teals. Less dark.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:35AM
Tour room is too small for chandelier, I would remove it.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:36AM
Same with dining window replace panels to smaller do not tie back, in a satin peacock, or teal. Do same in living. Rm. where is Zebra rug going living rm? That would work. You could put end chairs on dining table. Go high back, in a peacock. Z Galleries had some also ck Pier One. You could use a print like zebra too. There is no patterns in yr rms.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:40AM
Put light in living rm in dining. Drop to 36" above table top. Yrs is way too high. Round one will fit table better. Return other one.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:41AM
Rug in dining should be bigger when chairs back up should stay on rug.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:43AM
I would go a teal or peacock on pillows on sofas. Red not working.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:43AM
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:50AM
Love the teal n brn zebra above. Teal or peacock should be yr accent color.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:52AM
Table lamps tall silver or stainless modern base. Ck TJMax. Yrs are to low think 20" would work. might try a floor lamp in corner by sofa n window. Stainless modern. Tall 6 ft. Zebra in dining yes!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:56AM
krf10
@ travisinteriors, the zebra rug will go in DR. Should have it in a few days. Its 8/10. That size should work.

I sadly cannot afford to change blinds now. So am stuck with white. And I had many people in my original thread say to not use bright drapes? So I went neutral with both sides. Also many said to raise my panel high to the ceiling.

I think I can return the red pillows.

I was looking at a blueish rug for LR. Haven't found one I like yet? The size would be 8:10 hopefully thats the right size.

I am retuning LR light. Not sure the fixture in DR I can return. As we moved it from another room, so its 2 years old LOL.
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:57AM
Genevieve love the lights, good choice. For dining. would not do one in small living rm. it's too much.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:00AM
anne dee
@travisinteriors
would you suggest something like this for the living room give or take a few pieces? ;)
Chelsea Apartment
Family Room
Moody Blues
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:03AM
I think 8 x10 in LR might be too big. It's just a accent. Show off wood floors. Beige is beige. It does nothing for rooms. Go a satin look in peacock on panels. See Bed, Bath n Beyond, for look. Leave more window exposed. Blinds can stay just pull up and have bamboo shade cover them. Blinds look too doctor office. Should hide them when not needed.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:04AM
Genevieve
Thanks travisinteriors , would you suggest track lighting for the living room ceiling? I was thinking of that since the wiring is already there something needs to be there .

3 Likes    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:05AM
Yes trac lights would be much better. Ikea has some inexpensive stainless. That you can twist and turn to make art on the ceiling. Lowes has some smaller ones that would work too. Great idea.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:08AM
krf10
@ Genevieve and travisinterior Track lighting my husband suggested but I had no idea if people did that. Lol. So stainless steel? He'd def like that since he wants something more masculine

Bamboo shades? I need to look that up-Not familiar with the look!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 1:38PM
Genevieve
Great minds think alike:))
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:07PM
Genevieve
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:41PM
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:44PM
krf10
So would this mean I have to remove my white blinds? Not sure we can afford to do brand new blinds....

Since I do have. 4 yr old and two other kiddos time, is a round ottoman a better choice for LR with a smaller accent table next to zebra chair?

What size rug if not 8:10? The placeholder rug is 5/8 and that seems too small? (In LR)
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:30PM
krf10
Here is what my room originally looked like....
http://houzz.com/discussions/439971
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:34PM
anne dee
you may not have to change the blinds immediately but maybe later on.
Set your priorities and progress from there.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:35PM
anne dee
after seeing the original room you have made significant progress.
Take your time and enjoy the process!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:47PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
In answer to your question.......yes the side table would fill up the space by the window next to the zebra chair.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:05PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Please don't go with track lighting! It's very basement office and looks so commercial. You need a hanging fixture to draw the eye up to the ceiling and to fill that empty space. If you want more masculine choose something along these lines.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:07PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You could go with a neutral carpet or one with some blue tones to draw from the painting. I find the brown and beige one has the illusion of zebra print. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:11PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Although I prefer an actual table in this design, a round upholstered ottoman is a good idea when taking the kids into consideration. Since your couches are light and have plain fabric, go for a darker tufted ottoman.This store offers custom-made ottomans.....very interesting! http://www.bassettfurniture.com/tools/custom-upholstery/ottomans/custom-ottoman.asp
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:16PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Since you mentioned the table lamp........definitely go for something taller. It seems this teal lamp was made for your LR! Or a charcoal one would work well also. Both from West Elm.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:22PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Just a side note.......the drapery rod is too high. It should be halfway between the ceiling and the window. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:24PM
I agree drop rod dn about 8-10"
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:27PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Personally I don't like blinds at all. A cheaper (and nicer!) option would be to remove the blinds and add a printed sheer instead. You could also go with a plain sheer.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:31PM
joyannello
I disagree on dropping the rod on drapes! What you need to do is add dark bamboo matchstick style blinds and also mount those higher than existing white blinds. About 4 inches down from ceiling should work perfectly....LOVE your drapes as is! Check Amazon for dark bamboo blinds.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 9:15AM
krf10
@ Lydia where is that last masculine light fixture from?

In regards to bamboo blinds: so hang them high up versus to fit window?

Also-any suggestions for area rug and size for Living Room?
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 9:55AM
joyannello
Hang them about 4 inches below ceiling to make windows appear even larger. This will also tie in well with the height of your drapes which are PERFECT! I just had a chance to view your original LR and DR thread... what an amazing transformation!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:03AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 1:02PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
There are already a few suggestions posted for rugs. Do you like any of those styles or would you want something different? Don't know what size the rug you have is but you should go one size bigger.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 1:12PM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
I don't understand hanging a bamboo blind higher than the window?? The window is big enough already but it seems smaller because the curtains are hung too high. You might even consider changing the rod for a bigger one. I have a huge window with 8' ceilings and this is how I hung my curtain rod.....halfway between the window trim and the ceiling. Roll over the picture to see it full size. Sorry not the best quality pic....it's very sunny!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 1:23PM
krf10
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-hooked-Alexa-Moroccan-Trellis-Wool-Rug-76-x-96/5777719/product.html?refccid=4TRBEDH25H4ZUFCMFIIR27TKK4&searchidx=289

OR:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rug-Collective-Handmade-Indoor-Outdoor-Lattice-Trellis-Rug-76-x-96/6437632/product.html?refccid=3FYGT3TJUDELKHKOKK46ZQ5WCQ&searchidx=385

Trying to find "blue'ish" rug, how is the above one for LR? I liked Lydia's Moroccan looking one but cannot find it?

Here is what I bought for DR:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Watamu-Beige-Brown-Animal-Rug-8-x-10/5981408/product.html?refccid=ZLSKREWFRBXY5PCHUXNAFE7DZQ&searchidx=306

Still deciding the bamboo/sheer debate. I am so confused. LOL

Looking for new chandeliers. Going to return both if I can.

Coffee tables: this to me is the hardest part.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 4:26PM
krf10
Got my leopard rug and removed blinds :-)

Still looking for a new Dining Room Light fixture!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:42PM
abbyjean
Or zebra.......you are tooooo excited and you should be! It looks awesome! Cannot believe how different the room looks!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:55PM
krf10
@abbyjean, thanks!!!!

Yes I cannot believe how the rug changed the room :-)

I wonder if I could do a different animal print in LR but with blue and cream tones?
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:24AM
abbyjean
OK, I just have to ask.....is that a box of wine on the dining room table?? WHAT FUN to have all that on hand now!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:46AM
krf10
LOL! Yes it is! My parents are in town visiting, and they ALWAYS fill up my wine rack! ;-)
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:55AM
abbyjean
Well, they are just the best company ever! And how nice they got to be there to help get the rug and drapes figured out!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:02AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
What a difference the rug makes! The zebra print isn't too obvious (it actually looks kind of abstract) so if you're intent on getting one in blue and beige it could work. Although I do prefer a different pattern. Sorry, I just saw you asking about one of the rugs I posted. It's from Dash & Albert - here's the link: http://www.dashandalbert.com/product/view/plain-tin-slate-wool-micro-hooked-rug--RDA115
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by krf10    September 12, 2013 at 8:30AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
You mentioned changing the ceiling fixture in the dining room. What are you thinking of getting? The one you have is fine except that it's way too high!! Did you try lowering it? It would avoid another expense. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:34AM
krf10
@ Lydia, unfortunately, we don't have the extension for the fixture anymore. ;-( Which is a bummer. so it is basically stuck at that height. I am looking for an affordable one to replace it with. Trying to stay consistent with both rooms--so silver? Or something similar?

Rug: yeh it may be best to go with a different pattern. I love that rug you posted, but shoot it's $900, more than I wanted to spend. I think I'll look on overstock and hayneedle. ;-)
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 8:40AM
Lydia (Kazza Design)
That is a bummer! Silver would be a good choice to continue the flow of the two rooms. I have a rug from Dash & Albert and it's very good quality but I understand about the budget. I like the design on the one you posted from Overstock but I find it's too blue not enough gray. There's such a huge choice of rugs I'm sure you'll find something that fits your style and budget!
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 11:39AM
krf10
Is this too weird? Kinda liked the rug--love the zebra one Lydia posted, but is it ok to have two zerbra rugs in one room?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 1:51PM
Maguire
I think your drapes are hung perfectly. Every inspiration photo you've posted has drapes hung the same way. Could just be a regional thing, we almost always (unless there are clearstorys) hang drapes at the ceiling rather than in the middle of the wall between the window and ceiling.
Your new DR rug transforms the entire room! I thought it was an inspiration picture until I noticed your mirror.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:08PM
abbyjean
You wanted blue and cream and found it! Looks like the perfect shades of those colors, too! Do they have the size you need?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:12PM
krf10
@ abbyjean they do!!! So u think it'll work?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 2:58PM
abbyjean
SNATCH IT UP! I LOVE IT!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 3:01PM
krf10
@Maguire, Thanks so much for your feedback!! I have spent months trying to find my peace in these rooms LOL one down :-) & a few to go!!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 3:03PM
krf10
We just got other rug!

Is this size ok? LOL I hope so!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:23AM
abbyjean
THAT rug was made for your room! I love it!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:41AM
Maguire
Great rug! Perfect colors and size. Don't you love it?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:47AM
abbyjean
Now you need your parents to come back to see THIS rug.....and maybe bring more wine!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:48AM
Cindy Sherman @ Sherman KBD
I love the transformation of your LR .. The rug is Perfect & Fun!! Great find :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 7:56AM
krf10
Omg so excited its been approved by my houzers LOL

My parents left Sunday so just missed the rug! I better fly them out!!

Now that I have my rug, Next-a new coffee table!

Should I do round or rectangle? Ottoman or table...? With he rug, I am thinking oval or round table and expresso color?

Also, a little something next to my zebra chair?
    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:31AM
Need feedback for common area color picking
I love bright colors and tried to use them when I was...
yangxn
Floating Dinning Room Idea Feedback
We have tried this new design idea in our new company...
Baywood Estate Homes
Need master bedroom help - how to place the bed and color feedback
I am planning on redecorating my master bedroom while...
bandjo97
Need feedback on my island dimension
The length of the island that the designer has proposed...
luckyme7
Need help with furniture layout for a lanai
No photos, but have layout... not sure how to attach...
mcclelland713
How many cushions for my sofa?
I'm thinking of ordering an 86" custom sofa (picture...
shal1217
we need a kitchen table
kitchen table that extends to 120 inches but only 30-36...
maxthecat63
what size pendant over 36" square kitchen table?
I have 3 I'm considering. #1 is 20 dia x 19"h #2 is...
youngstown
a need for an inspiration for the home decor
I would love to change the color of our home, rearrange...
Sebastian Gloria Forjan