Gus
November 18, 2011 in Photo Questions
Shirley, How often do you "oil" your soapstone? What do you dislike about it? I love the look but am concerned about maintenance/staining. Thanks...
Shirley Corwin
The first couple months you oil it ever 2-3 weeks then once a month and less as time goes on. They have come out with a wax for the soapstone now that you only use about every 6 months or less.
Soap stone is the most dense of the stones. They use it in chemistry labs. Nothing will stain it. You could dump acid on it! You can sit red hot pans on it.
The only characteristic that is bad is that it is soft so you can scratch it very easily. For me it doesn't matter because this house is 160 years old and I didn't want the new shiny look of granite. The scratches almost disappear with a little mineral oil or wax. I LOVE my soapstone.!!
November 18, 2011 at 6:33pm   
perldeb
They have come out with a wax instead of the oil that I really like. I would oil the counters first to season them as mentioned in the first post. The wax is nice because it gives it kind of a satiny look and keeps it how I like it longer. It is personal preference as to how much you want the deeper color to come through...then you wax or oil more. I, too, love my soapstone. One thing to think about is if you have a dark kitchen, you might want to go lighter. I forgot about how much a large dark surface soaks up the light in a room! Buff out the scratches and you are good to go. It is not a "pefect" look, but to me, that is the appeal.
November 20, 2011 at 6:26am   
Need help for my kitchen
Im interested in stacked cabinets with the top cabinet...
Need help Choosing a Red Paint Color for my Living Room
We moved into a new home with a red living room. I...
looking for exterior paint matching the trees
Hi, Present it was suggested for white and grey for...
Need to update my living room
When we moved into our house 13 years ago, I had a...