Blinds and Shutters
amcox_us
I have about 30 plus windows that need window treatment. Thinking about shutters in the front if the home and wood blinds throughout the remaking of the home. I also need to be very economical with the quantity of windows that I have to treat. I would like to have the top windows in the family room to be motorized. Just having the ability to open and close the blinds will be fine. There's no need to have to to raise up and down.

Thoughts and suggestions?
JMittman Designs
You will not regret motorization at all. But keep in mind, motorization will not be an inexpensive option. Nor will shutters, but both are great options. Do you have any more pics of the windows you need to cover?
2 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:08AM
amcox_us
Here's a few pictures.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 3:48PM
JMittman Designs
I'm confused, it looks like all the windows already have wood blinds on them. Are these coming down?
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:42PM
amcox_us
Actually, it is a new build. The pictures are from visits to similar homes.
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 1:55AM
JMittman Designs
Ah, ok. I would start with essential rooms first and go from there. You may end up not wanting-or needing wood blinds everywhere--woven wood shades are another great option. Have someone come out and give you some quotes so you understand what your budget needs to be. You don't have to do it all at once if not feasible.
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 6:36AM
amcox_us
I've working with a Hunter Douglas dealer. I've also spoken with some that sells Graber and Pinnacle. Are you familiar with those two? Quality? Cost?
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 3:17PM
tamrenner
hi @amcox_us, i have both HD and Graber in my house. ours is a new build as well, i had to cut costs a bit, so i put the graber upstairs in the bedrooms. i spent a bit extra to make them black out blind and cordless. i am glad i didnt put them on my main floor, as i find they look and feel like construction paper. Hunter Douglas was a bit more expensive, but they are quite a bit nicer. i did cordless on the main, but not blackout. HD feel almost like fabric. definitely spend the extra cash and go cordless though, my gf didn't and she complains regularly!!
2 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 3:27PM
amcox_us
Hi! @Tamrenner, Thanks for your feed back. I'm assuming that you didn't have wood or faux wood blinds. I'm seriously considering Hunter Douglas. I have 47 windows and doors to cover. I wonder if the 2" faux wood blocks the light, doesn't warp or fade. The plan is to have the 3" shutters on the front of the home and blinds throughout he remaining portion. Once I finish the basement I might add some type of blackout material in a section for the theater room. I want to make the best choice. I'm not sure about aluminum blinds.
0 Likes   September 5, 2013 at 6:08PM
tamrenner
i had faux wood in my previous house, and they actually warped!! the company told me it was from exposure to the sun.... uummm aren't they blinds? isn't that the point of blinds? to block the sun? I also live in Saskatchewan and installed them in the winter... They were just from Sears tho, not a high end company, but still not cheap at all!
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 7:36PM
tamrenner
we also had 2" and they blocked the light nicely. i didn't notice any fading on them at all either. i guess it depends where you are, and your sun exposure
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 7:37PM
pbjammin
Do you have a Costco where you live? They get a good deal from HD, and back the service...
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 7:53PM
JMittman Designs
There are multiple price levels on Graber shades. The fabric is much nicer on some than others. Of course the more expensive ones will be nicer. :)
Another thing on faux wood--they are heavier to lift than real wood, which may or may not be an issue for you.
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 5:33AM
amcox_us
Is there a drastic difference in Wood and Faux Wood, meaning the texture and appearance and cost? I've seen some Faux Wood that looked like very cheap plastic?
0 Likes   September 7, 2013 at 8:54AM
JMittman Designs
It depends where you are getting them from. Home Depot type faux woods are going to look exactly as you describe-plastic. A window treatment professional will have samples of both for you to look at. I have faux blinds in my home, custom, and they look just like wood.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 8:52AM
amcox_us
My intention is to purchase Hunter Douglas. I must do a sanity check. You WILL pay dearly for Hunter. If there very good options, I don't want to short cut myself.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 11:14AM
JMittman Designs
Visit a Hunter Douglas gallery, or make an appointment with a window treatment professional who has samples of HD as well as Kirsch or Graber, or other private lines. With as many windows as you have to cover, this will be an investment no matter which line you go with. Good luck!
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 7:01PM
kathy
I have 2" hunter douglas faux wood blinds. After 3 years, they look like new - including in the south-facing bathroom. The slats overlap for total privacy but do not sit tightly against each other, so light gets in between slats. But I think the 2.5" slats are shaped to sit more tightly so less light gets in in? Vague recollections from 3 years ago - sorry, I don't remember precisely.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 7:16PM
kathy
And I thought I had a lot of windows to cover with 9 windows plus 1 window that is 11' wide plus 2 patio doors!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:18PM
Two Blind Guys
If you are looking at white blinds I highly recommend Hunter Douglas Everwood Faux Wood Blinds! They are guaranteed for a lifetime not to warp, bow, or yellow. Real Wood usually run you more and if you're looking at white or off white you're always better off going with Faux wood cause of the warranty. We see Graber Wood Blinds that yellow all the time and it's exactly why we don't sell them anymore. Definitely go with Hunter Douglas. It's very common to do shutters on the front side of your home and faux wood blinds on the rest to save money. Hunter Douglas has some wonderful shutter options that have the same warranty as the Everwoods as well. If you're working with a Hunter Douglas Dealer, you're in good hands!
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 3:09PM
amcox_us
@ Two Blinds Guy - Thank you very much. You have been extremely informative. I have family in your region. I will definitely recommend that they consult with you, when they plan to move and renovate their home.

I am reassured that Hunter Douglas is the right choice.

Again, thank you all for your feedback and advise.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 3:18PM
Two Blind Guys
Glad to be of assistance and definitely appreciate the referral! You will not be disappointed with Hunter Douglas.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 3:35PM
amcox_us
Does the faux wood blinds be used to cover different shaped windows or shutters works better? I have three windows as in the picture. I'm referring to the top windows.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 8:16PM
Sheila's Window Toppers & More Ltd
Our business sells and installs many shutters and blinds. Shutters are the best to cover arched windows. We do these shapes all the time. Just make sure to hire someone that has worked with shutters and knows how to template them. You can get wood and faux wood blinds that have a shutter shape to the slat to coordinate with the shutters. We prefer real wood blinds over faux wood blinds as faux wood is extremely heavy. We are a storefront dealer that sells mainly Hunter Douglas but we also sell Graber products and I have not seen real wood blinds in white that have yellowed. I have had them in my own home for 20 years and mine are still white in a south west window. I have attached a photo of Poly Satin shutters we have done in an eyebrow shaped window. Best of luck with your window treatments
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 9:27PM
starterhouse
Costco offers a service where a rep will come down to you and go through all your windows and options. They only sell hunter Douglas and pricing is pretty good. If u have a Costco in your area check it out! (look online)
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 9:36PM
Shades IN Place
Hunter Douglas is a great product, but for shutters I would go with Norman Shutters. I sell both and in my opinion Norman is FAR SUPERIOR. They also offer motorized shutters. Hunter does not.
2 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 1:53AM
Two Blind Guys
@starterhouse - Costco is no longer a Hunter Douglas Dealer. The contract expired a few months back and they no longer carry Hunter Douglas. It was a very big ordeal.
4 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 2:39PM
South East Installation Solutions, LLC
I agree with many of the comments previously posted.

Keep in mind also, that it is not uncommon for people to purchase treatments for one or two rooms at a time, especially if money is tight. But also keep in mind that it is "too expensive to do twice" so if you have to live with nothing on the windows for a while to save up and purchase the quality product, you will be happier than buying the less expensive, poorly made product that you end up throwing away in a year or two because Goodwill and places like that typically do not take old blinds/shades.
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 5:21PM
Finishing Touches
In regards to the arch windows and how to dress, Hunter Douglas offers a 2" stationary arch slat that goes above the functioning shade. I had a client elect to do a stationary arch shutter over her 2" wood blinds. See picture below. I agree with Two Blind Guys that HD's faux wood blind warranty is the best. No one else gives the same warranty for their faux wood blinds.
1 Like   May 8, 2014 at 3:55PM
Roman blinds, timber shutters, roller blinds.... help!
I have just renovated a two bed + study apartment in...
virginiaford
It seems that windows i tegrate some kind of shutter and blind/curtain
The windows look like thy have integrated blind and...
businesseurope
Are those blinds or shutters in the windows?
Trying to choose window coverings for master bedroom....
dizzydecorator
Bedroom blinds/shutters
I live in a New Orleans style home with large wood...
Lesley Troncoso
Should I choose shutters or blinds for windows in my home.
I am not sure whether to go with shutters or blinds....
Hursheda Narsing_Chauhan
We have just way too much beige
Hi, so in our home, we have boring beige and "sell...
margoxyvon
Exterior Trim Colors for Mid Century Prairie-Style
I saw a great post on this previously, by kday72 with...
tdamb
I HATE the front of my house!
We just bought a house and I love the interior and...
Carolynn Boeh
shower tile
Hi there, I am looking to purchase white subway tile...
Erika Wright
Need help for garage
My husband and I just bought a 1960's house and we...
Elisabeth Girard