Need help for my small living room
Carol Roberts
The living room is 10 x 15 with a corridor leading off it. ALL the walls are unfinished cedar boards and every other board is replaced with mirror at the halfway mark, I have tried covering the walls with pictures but all I have really succeeded in doing is making it more oppressive!
Rina
Hi Carol. What is the large white shiny square in the corner with the TV? Is it a window? The other bigger white area in the other pic looks like a window, but that one is hard to read. Could you do a rough floor plan, showing doors, windows, roughly where the furniture is and indicating which wall (one? two?) has the mirror slats?
September 4, 2013 at 6:25am   
Carol Roberts
The Picture with the TV has a window and a door that leads onto front porch on the other side of that door is another window the other picture is the door into the kitchen which is opposite the door leading onto the porch, this picture has the 3rd window which is diagonally opposite the tv. The TV wall has no mirror the wall opposite TV has no mirror the kitchen door wall turns into a corridor and has mirror all the way down the corridor. I am re doing the room so no furniture except T.V If the christmas photo attached is one of the tree the corridor is behind the tree the kitchen door is to the right and the TV is to the left of the tree I am not sure what you mean by slats the mirror is attached to dry wall with glue(one fell off) and is flush with the wood.
September 4, 2013 at 7:02am   
Consider painting the mirror sections and the cedar paneling the same color. I think it can be done more easily than trying to remove the mirror strips. Go for a light neutral, but not completely "colorless." Try greige - many shades fit into this beige/gray color. Here is an ideabook on it.

September 4, 2013 at 7:09am     
Rina
Hello again Carol. Forgive me for the delay, I was working. By slats I just meant what I would call those vertical strips of mirror -- I come from another country and our English is a little bit different. I think that decoenthusiaste's advice is excellent -- to paint it all. But really, I can't imagine painting glass and getting a good effect. (Decoenthisaste, do you know a way of doing that?) If one has already come off, I'd advise you to ask someone knowledgeable about getting the rest of the mirrors off. At first I thought you might be able to "play them up" and make a feature of them, but I'm not sure that's going to work.* Sit in the room, imagine all the mirror gone, and then imagine what colour you would like your walls to be. We can talk about that if you like -- nothing Houzzers like better than arguing about wall colours! I think it's the least difficult way of handling this dilemma.

* It might, though. If you painted all the wood, the mirrors -- or some of them -- might be quite fun!

Then you can put up only the pictures you want on the walls, in the perfect positions. You won't be fighting with the overwhelming woodiness and mirror-ness of it. It could be a really cosy place to curl up in.

Just a warning: get the best advice you can from your local experts about preparing the wood for painting. You can't just slap paint on varnished wood, for instance. It won't work at all. But if it's a bit of labour, it's worth doing for the result, which you can enjoy for years to come.

After that, we can all argue about whether you need drapes on those windows or not. :)

It's night time here, so I hope I'll catch up with you in (my) morning.
September 4, 2013 at 10:02am     
pcmom1
How about wallpapering over the entire thing with something a little thick, such as a light colored grass cloth?
September 4, 2013 at 10:08am        Thanked by Carol Roberts
sellaginella
Suggestion:Why not put up a giant picture or cover it up with wall paper after taking care of the uneven parts? There is enough and more on the internet about how to cover up wood panelling. Here's an image of a curtain(Japanese) that has been used to cover up an unsightly wall.
September 4, 2013 at 10:24am        Thanked by Carol Roberts
Genevieve
First I need to know if this Is this your home or a rental place:) If its yours you can do many things if not only little if any at all.

You could paint the wood or leave it as is the only thing that really need to go are all those things that you have on it ,begin with the mirror strips ,here is an idea of less is more :)

57th Street Residence

BlindSaver Advantage 2" Wood Blinds

Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom
September 4, 2013 at 10:30am      Thanked by Carol Roberts
Rina
I'm still here, though it's supper time. Briefly then, you're getting great creative ideas here. Hang in, you'll sort it out. I've only just realised you said the cedar was unfinished. That might make it a lot easier to repaint if you want to. Still, get a local smart person in to give you advice. I think the overall message is: simplify, simplify, simplify. Looking forward to tomorrow if there are more comments. Good night from me.
September 4, 2013 at 10:45am        Thanked by Carol Roberts
cathieg
I agree with Rina, so I would seek advice on the best method to remove the mirror strips. They really must go! From there you can move forward in your redecorating.
September 4, 2013 at 11:15am        Thanked by Carol Roberts
There is a primer called Stix that should make this transformation work.
September 4, 2013 at 11:57am        Thanked by Carol Roberts
Rina
Hi again Carol. I couldn't check in yesterday because we had a 28-hour power failure. Grrrr. Lights back on now. Have you come to any decision on what you'd like to do?
September 6, 2013 at 3:14am   
Carol Roberts
I think I will check into the wallpaper idea, I can hang wallpaper and did this years ago to cover ugly walls (age made me forget!!!!) I am going to do my bedroom wall first, it also has mirror and wood, if that is successful I will continue into living room. Thank you so much for all the suggestions.
September 6, 2013 at 5:58am     
Rina
Great. It's a clever idea. Just look into the technicalities before you commit yourself to expense -- i.e. how wallpaper would adhere to unfinished cedar. There is so much wallpaper to look at, from single-colour textured to wildly ornamental. (Forgive me if I don't fancy wildly ornamental for your cosy room.) PS We just had another power failure for about ten minutes. Oh, my heart .... But now it looks as though I can have a warm supper after all.

PS Please update us!
September 6, 2013 at 9:07am   
pcmom1
Grass cloth : Cape Cod

Lori Levine Interiors, Inc.

You could talk to home improvement store about alternate adhesive if needed. This would cover your problems and warm up your room!
September 6, 2013 at 9:30am   
cathieg
If one of the mirror strips has already found its way loose and fallen off, there is a chance that it could happen again. It would be a terrible shame if you went to the trouble and expense of wallpapering over them only to find some more come loose. I would carefully consider your options.
September 7, 2013 at 8:16am   
pcmom1
At least tape back and forth over them before papering!
September 7, 2013 at 8:20am   
need help with focal point of my small living room
This is the wall you see when you enter my living.room....
Need help for my small "living room" :-)
This is the "living room" in my 550 sq ft studio. I...
How do I hide these ugly speakers?!
These speakers ruin the aesthetics of the room, how...
Need help to finish my guest room.
I fell in love with this comforter and have decorated...
Please throw your ideas to my living room. Thank you.
Hello everyone, This is the living room in my new...
I am lost. Please help with this room...
I feel like the couches need to be centered because...
What do you miss most about your parent's house?
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell,...