Need Help w/Drap 1950's Rambler
britraebasham
We're looking to add some pop to the exterior of our home. It look likes every house in our neighborhood. Thought about painting it but 1) it's too expensive and 2) I heard we'll be in for a lifetime of maintenance.

The sides have white siding on the top half. On the far right of the picture is another bay window with white vinyl siding.

I am adding a full view screen door this weekend. What would you do?
Looks like the roof has seen better days as well.
September 4, 2013 at 11:55am     
britraebasham
It sure has!!!! I wish we had the funds to fix that as well.
September 4, 2013 at 11:56am   
fuzinav
Refresh your plantings, bringing them farther out from the foundation so the house isn't so flat. Trim and siding in the same color as the grout would look great as well, perhaps eventually. Whatever color your full view storm the front door should match.
September 4, 2013 at 12:03pm        Thanked by britraebasham
Maguire
I'd take down the shutters (they look silly, it's obvious they can't close to cover the windows) and add a long window box. Paint the front door and screen door gray or bright blue or green depending on your taste, and paint the white siding a nice gray.
Work on your landscaping. The hedge in front looks like its run its course. Tear it out and replace it with some color. I don't know where you are, will rhododendrons, azaleas or other flowering, evergreen shrubs grow there? Adding a raised planting bed instead of the window boxes under the small windows might work too.
Clean or paint your roof.
Queen Street East Exterior
Kitchen & Addition
September 4, 2013 at 12:04pm        Thanked by britraebasham
fuzinav
also, if can't redo the roof yet, paint the exhaust pipe to match the current shingles to help it disapperar.
hazeldazel
I agree with the other posters, remove the shutters, perhaps paint door, and put in a some flowering hedges (azaleas, hedge type roses, row of agapanthus, etc.), maybe some planting around the front landing to make it stand out. Very cute house, just needs a little color to pop.
September 4, 2013 at 12:11pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
So I tried to add some fall color by planting some mums in the brick planter box. Love the idea of gray. Would a darker red door look horrible? Our house is so outdated... purchased it like that obviously. When you walk through the front door it's standard real oak flooring and then white/dark green/burgundy porcelain tile on the kitchen floor. I certainly don't want to paint the door something that will look hideous when it's open in the Spring/Summer.

I live in Springfield, VA, so right outside of the DC. We get all the seasons.

Thank you for the suggestion about the long planter box. Would you do one that's the whole length of all three of those windows?
September 4, 2013 at 12:14pm   
britraebasham
Not sure if you can tell but there is a 5' gap between the hedges and the house (under the three windows). There were a bunch of holly hedges but we dug them out because you couldn't walk outside without getting chased down by bees. Also, the worn out bushes are azaleas. They're a pretty bright red when they bloom, but as you can see... the mailman has killed them because he leaps steps over the planter box. Which by the way, I used to love and now I hate. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point to get it looking different and more inviting.
September 4, 2013 at 12:18pm     
fuzinav
I recognized a Northern Virginia house right away! I can picture a curved bed along the left side with seasonal window boxes to add interest and color. The bed could then continue in a sweeping curve toward the tree, the broad swath should make yor eye move and minimize the linear nature of the house. You may be able to move the azaleas into a more irregular line, they look pretty flat now.
September 4, 2013 at 12:31pm        Thanked by britraebasham
fuzinav
try mounting the flag on the brick to the left of the door to open up the entrance.
September 4, 2013 at 12:31pm      Thanked by britraebasham
Maguire
Ohhhh, so sad, can't do red flowers, they disappear against the brick. Whites and light pinks. I would take out the scalloped boarder in front of the planter, let the lawn come up to it. It will look cleaner.
I love gray for your white siding, even if you only get the front of the house. I would do a window box under all three windows. One long or three small, until the new landscaping grows up.
When it's time to reroof, go charcoal color.
You are a lucky homeowner.
September 4, 2013 at 12:35pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Thank you so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. Can you see the small entryway between the screen door and the front door? Would you paint that gray as well?
September 4, 2013 at 12:40pm   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Hello, Neighbor. I'm in Fairfax. As you know, Virginia classic architecture is red brick and black shutters, but your house is a ranch with very interesting tall windows in the bow window to the right of the front door. You aren't living in a colonial, so the shutters are not mandatory. They could be painted a different color, if you keep them. If you remove the shutters, perhaps you can add some wall sculpture in a vertical piece of ornamental iron to the left of the front door, to balance the bow window vertical lines. It looks like you have steps to the left of the front door? Another option there would be potted climber with a trellis, if there is room, but it's hard to tell from the photo.
I would not suggest a red front door as a first choice, because it will blend into the brick. Ideally you have a contrast color to help persons find the front door. Black could work, or a deep green such as Benjamin Moore's essex green. Ideally your full size storm door and the front door would be the same color. A deep blue green could also work. But considering what colors are seen on on the interior is a part of selecting the front door color as well.
You have a great Benjamin Moore dealer in Springfield - Jerry's Paint, and they have in store color consultants some days, who could show you some other options. I do free in-store color consultations at Vienna Paint in Vienna one day a week, usually Fridays from 11-5, if you'd like to come see me. (Next week it will be Thursday however.) The Vienna Store is at the corner of 123 and Lawyer's road. www.viennapaint.biz. If you come in to see me, please bring additional photos.
Revolutionary Gardens on Houzz is a local landscaper who could recommend some other plantings suitable to our climate.
September 4, 2013 at 12:44pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Awesome, thanks so much! I really appreciate it. To answer your question, no, there are no steps at all. To the left of the door is just bare dirt, level ground. My husband was planning on building a porch on that side, but um... yeah, that hasn't happened yet. I should take a photo of the front of the whole house so you can see the other bay window.
September 4, 2013 at 12:51pm     
anne dee
inspiration pic
landscaping
porch?

September 4, 2013 at 1:13pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Yes, minus the steps. I was just on that blog today. Finally had to get back to work. Must have missed this one on the blog. But yes, this is inspiration.

My mother says she thinks a greenish blue door, light gray portico, greenish blue storm door and paint the trim gray and the shutters the same greenish blue would look nice. I'm having a hard time envisioning this.
September 4, 2013 at 1:17pm   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I would paint all the white a blue gray and when you can budget for a new roof make it a charcoal color. Below is a red brick house with the color that I like. Can you make a shot further away with the house in the center and both sides showing for landscaping recommendations ?

Definitely remove the shudders :-) , add wider trim to emphasize windows.
September 4, 2013 at 1:33pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Absolutely. I will take the photos when I get home from work and post them as soon as my twin babies go down. I look forward to hearing what you think once you see the full house. It's very plain right now. I need a pop of color some where. I will also take a photo with the screen door open so you all can see the portico area. And another photo with the front door open so you can see the entry way. Thanks again everyone! So glad I found this site.
September 4, 2013 at 1:45pm     
RosemaryR
Paint that large star to match your trim, it's lost in the brick.
September 4, 2013 at 1:51pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Rosemary... awesome idea!!!!
September 4, 2013 at 1:53pm   
sharpkl
If it were me I would remove the star. The flag is nice. It should be the star.
September 4, 2013 at 2:17pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
I look forward to seeing the additional photos.
September 4, 2013 at 3:52pm   
zippyvt
What if you removed planter box that postman leaps over and replace with larger area covered with pavers that forms entry patio that the path leads to? (Hard to tell from photo what it does) That way path to door would be more direct, and draw the eye to to door making it more inviting. From the photo, it's hard to tell how you get to the door. I would remove shrubs to left of door under long window also, and make planting area more of an organic shape and plant some colorful multi height plants. Since the shrubs look tired you might want to condition the soil with manure and turn it in before planting anything new. If you are going from evergreen bushes (I think those are evergreens?) to perennials, you might also want to check with a local garden center about how to improve the soil condition.
September 4, 2013 at 4:44pm   
hazeldazel
Personally, I would paint the door a bright-ish blue (like the example from Maguire) because a red door will fade against the brick (like the star does) and even a green will just get lost in all your pretty green landscaping. Definitely paint the star - I didn't even see it in your 2nd picture until someone mentioned it! I think if you replace the bigger bushes that are in front of the planter you'll get the most bang for your buck. They look very woebegone now.

I really like the white trim and paint on the side, it's nice and bright and cheery against the natural brick. I think you only need to add some accessory colors and freshen up some the landscaping, and you'll get a big impact. But definitely stay away from red, burgundy, or white colored flowers - you want some contrast. It will also be fairly inexpensive to do, which is good when you've got a new home and need to save your $ for big ticket items (I'm in the same boat).
September 4, 2013 at 5:56pm      Thanked by britraebasham
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Since you and I are in the same area, I can be more specific on sources for plants. As fall approaches, many of the garden centers will have items they are putting on clearance. Merrifield Gardens has a clearance section for plants, and while they may look a little bedraggled there, they usually bounce back. Burke Nursery and Garden Center has nice healthy stock, and prices on their new items are a little less than Merrifield Gardens; they occasionally have sale items as well. Betty's Azalea Ranch on Route 29, on the far side of Fairfax from you will have sales, and Meadows Farms (multiple locations, but one just a bit further out on 29) will have good prices - just make sure their plants are healthy. There used to be a nursery which set up in Springfield in the parking lot next to Whole Foods, and I've found good items there - they aren't there in the winter, so they would have end of season sales as well. Home Depot is good in the spring for certain popular annuals, but the others are better for shrubs to last, and the variety and quality of their stock.
September 5, 2013 at 5:23am        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
So sorry I forgot to post the images last night. After the girls fell asleep last night, I guess I fell out. Woke up this morning. My husband is getting ready to send me some photos. But for now, I've attached a picture of what it looks like when you open the front door. This is only to show you the flooring, since I think that will play a role in what color we paint the door. And just for entertainment only, I'm attaching a photo of our kitchen. These photos are when we bought the house... and nothing has changed. LOL!!!
September 5, 2013 at 8:27am     
britraebasham
Okay, here are a few photos from my husband. He couldn't get a full view so I've attached a photo of the right side of the house (don't mind one of my darling twins).
September 5, 2013 at 9:09am     
Maguire
Twins! So cute.
Since I'm a west coaster, I can't contribute much in the way of plantings, but I do think you should get some paint on the side of the house soon. I'm loving the gray and white with the brick. How about a silver or black star and I'm sticking with a bright green or blue door. You don't have a crazy interior to compete with. Good bones in the kitchen, solid looking cabinets, lots of space, big windows. You're a lucky Mama and homeowner. Congratulations.
September 5, 2013 at 10:01am        Thanked by britraebasham
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Were you planning to paint the siding up under the eaves on the side? It really needs it not only aesthetically, but to protect the wood from the elements. Tying in the color on the side with the siding on the front driveway end would be very helpful. Your grout color is sort of a tan, and that would be a natural fit for a cohesive house, and a good color for the star as well. Some of the colors you could consider would be Benjamin Moore's Springfield Tan, Hot Spring Stones (both in the AC - America's Colors- collection), and Litchfield Gray ( an earthy gray with red undertones). The rake boards (just under the roofline) can be a contrasting slightly darker color, such as Pismo Dunes paired with Hot Spring Stones. I'm sorry - I don't have the time right now to look up those numbers, but they can be found on benjaminmoore.com. Any chance you could come see me in Vienna on Friday at Vienna Paint?
September 5, 2013 at 10:06am        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Yes, we are planning on paining the eaves as well. I wish I could come see you Friday but I can't break free from work. It's budget time. :(
September 5, 2013 at 11:02am   
britraebasham
I'm on the SW site right now so I will look up those numbers.
September 5, 2013 at 11:03am   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
They are Benjamin Moore colors, not Sherwin Williams colors. Their collection America's Colors are taken from the landscape, so they work well with brick, stone, slate and the like. There are some deep blues which would work well for shutters (if you keep them) or the front door. With the vestibule you have between the storm and the front door, I can see why you were considering having them the same color. Keep in mind that you have walls in that space between the storm and the front door - you could repeat that grout color on those walls, for more cohesion of color.
September 5, 2013 at 11:22am   
britraebasham
I'm sorry, I meant Benjamin Moore. Okay, that space between the doors has always haunted me. Its just SO white. I tried adding pops of color in there with the dog leash hooks, but it's still so BLAH!
September 5, 2013 at 11:25am   
chrisinky
I love the idea of using the 2 tone grays like the picture Caroline has. You could do the same the with 2 tone taupes if that matches your grout better. I also like the idea of getting rid of the shutters. I hate shutters even though I & most people I know have them. To me they seem worthless. I like how a lot of new homes are going without shutters & making the window trim wider, although that doesn't help you or me either!

I live in Kentucky so our climate is the same. My neighbor has alternated planting snowball bushes (big, round white blooms) & Crepe Myrtle (conical fuchsia blooms) in front of her house. They have been beautiful all summer & I have been jealous of them! You have to be careful with the Crepe Myrtle though because they can become VERY large if not kept trimmed. You could only use them under those high windows or on the ends of the house.

Please update with photos as you change things. I have some similar things I need to work on with a house we just bought & I would love to see how yours turns out. I'm waiting on Spring to do the outside because there's too many things inside that need immediate attention. Good luck!
September 5, 2013 at 12:13pm   
britraebasham
Thank you. We have a huge crepe myrtle in front of the house to the far right (near the driveway), that has gone crazy. It's way too big now and has to be pruned big time. I'll be sure and post photos. Hoping to chose the paint colors this weekend.
September 5, 2013 at 12:24pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Mature Crepe myrtle here start at about 10 feet tall and go to 16 or more. You can prune them to be more of a tree than a bush, however. Natchez has really pretty bark for four season interest, but it has white flowers, so if you want more color, other crepe myrtle are better.
September 5, 2013 at 5:11pm   
Revolutionary Gardens
Please don't prune the crape by topping it. Pleasepleaseplease.

I like ramblers. My wife hates them, though, which is why we live in an old farmhouse. Anyhow, ramblers are long and low, which is an asset and a liability. I designed one in Alexandria that had similar issues as yours, and here are a few things we did to update it:
- replaced the short, high windows with more standard-sized windows. This did involve masonry and drywall work but it really brought the house into the 21st century
- came partway up the exterior with a contrasting stone veneer
- new masonry porch
- new portico. To preserve the lines of the house I did a hipped roof on it, which made it look like it belonged. The first draft we drew a gable end portico and it looked tacked on.
- new landscaping
- new front walk that played off the lines of the house.

The pics aren't on my Houzz page because while I designed it, my old employer built it. But here's the photo.
September 6, 2013 at 6:51am     
britraebasham
I promise not to top off the Crepe. I love this tree. The bark is beautiful. I think a little pruning here and there will help this overgrown beauty. Its lovely sitting next to the brick walkway. I'm finally posting a picture of the whole house. Please forgive the baby pool. It's usually not there, but the girls were playing in it while I was planting last weekend. So now you all can see a full view of the house. I know it was piece meal this week. I spoke with my husband and he's going to wash the roof. Any recs on what brand to use??? Also, he loves the idea of gray, so I know that has to be incorporated into the house. My goal is not to blend in. I'm attaching a picture of my neighbors house as well. It's the nicest on the block (besides the two mcmansion that is are also on our block).
September 6, 2013 at 8:36am   
chrisinky
If that's the nicest (not saying it looks bad!), then when you get finished with everything, yours will be the nicest!

I'm also interested in what you wash shingled roofs with???? Also would like suggestions on how to paint window trim. I understand when its wood & you can brush it on, but what about the metal window frames? I don't mean to take over this thread for my own questions. I just assume she could use the same advice.
September 6, 2013 at 8:56am     
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
The location of the crape myrtles, as far as design goes, are not the ideal but I suppose that they are too mature, or its too costly to move them at this stage. A judicious pruning of about a third each season would improve them slightly. Ideally they should've been located on the sides of the house. Nevertheless, I have sketched a design incorporating the trees and light and a walkway leading down to the curb for visitors. A curving bed on each side of the walkway, filled with ornamental grasses, low growing evergreens
( azaleas, etc. ) will balance the overall landscape . Keep the background evergreen shrubs trimmed , but if they can't be improved, replace with either azaleas or boxwood.
September 6, 2013 at 9:11am        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Thank. Caroline, I only have one Crepe. The others are two dogwoods. One is pink and the other is white. They two are overgrown. When we first moved in they were smaller and looked better. The shrubs under the windows are horrible. I hate them. They aren't evergreens, I don't think. They are a reddish in the summer and purplish in the winter. They have thorns on them that hurt like heck. I would not hate to see them go. LOL. I love the idea of the second walkway. I was thinking about that as well. With the curved walkway from the driveway to the crepe (on the right) being brick, what type of pavers would you use?
September 6, 2013 at 9:30am   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
You could actually just use stepping stones and plant low-growing groundcover in between if you'd like - you can buy large gray ones at Home Depot .
September 6, 2013 at 9:48am     
britraebasham
Nice idea!
September 6, 2013 at 10:57am     
Sustainable Dwellings
Paint the entry and add some built up planters and lights.
September 6, 2013 at 11:04am   
britraebasham
What colors do you think for the entry?
September 6, 2013 at 11:06am   
fuzinav
Probably have Barberry...prickly!
September 6, 2013 at 11:07am     
RosemaryR
Sounds like barberry, I planted one much to my dismay. I think they would be great by low windows to discourage burglars but otherwise can't wait to dig mine out. Can't wait to see what you do with your home; trust me, your neighbors are going to envy you!
September 6, 2013 at 3:04pm   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Thanks for posting a whole house picture. The white section on the right, being in such high contrast white, appears as if it were a later addition, not really a part of the rest of the house. Once you paint it in a grey or greige, it will not be in such high contrast, and will feel more a part of the whole. Your windows can still be white or off white. For the siding area, look at AC-32 Pismo Dunes, in the America's Colors, as an earthy gray which might work for you, or in the Color Preview section there are some nice grays, such as 2108-50 Silver Fox, and 2111-50 stone harbor. If you go over to Jerry's Paint tomorrow, Sandy Iwanski may be there to help you find these and look at some other colors. She and I are in the same design organization, and she's very nice. Let me know how it goes....
September 6, 2013 at 6:24pm   
britraebasham
What do you think of this color combo? I'm not a fan of the lighter color.
September 8, 2013 at 8:56am     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
The lighter color looks a little gray green compared to the warmer (yellower) grout. But it's really difficult to tell with the monitor. May I ask whose colors these are? I don't recognize the ECC designation. Sherwin Williams perhaps?
September 8, 2013 at 9:38am   
britraebasham
It's Behr, but we're planning to use SW or BM. We just have to find similar colors. The darker is gray/green.
September 8, 2013 at 9:55am   
britraebasham
Here's a closer image.
September 8, 2013 at 9:56am   
catherinek708
I have a similar discoloration on my roof and was told that it is actually a type of mildew like substance that can be cleaned of with a power washer and a special cleanser. I can't remember the name of the detergent but they sold it Home Depot. I will do some research and post again. Your roof looks like it is in good condition otherwise. The shingles are not curling or missing. So, it should be OK for awhile longer.
September 8, 2013 at 10:10am     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
You should be able to find very similar colors in the Benjamin Moore historic colors collection. If you bring in the color swatches, or your stirring sticks from mixing the paint, the staff can point you in the right direction.
September 8, 2013 at 9:08pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
I'll be at Vienna Paint on Thursday this week, if you have any time during the week. I work on a walk-in basis when I'm there. Jerry's Paint has consultants too, closer to you, and you could call to make an appointment, as I think their consultants prefer to take appointments.
September 8, 2013 at 9:10pm        Thanked by britraebasham
zippyvt
Like your color combo. I had a thought seeing the pic of your whole house. The white clapboard on the right makes the house seem unbalanced/not-unified. With your new color scheme with the darker taupe/bark color, I think that will be improved, since the clapboards will be much closer to the value of the brick. I think it would also help to balance things out to tie colors all the way along the front; i.e. use trim color (lighter beige) on the right as well as using somewhere on front door area, as well as window shutters to left. If you keep all window trim white as well, I think it would help to unify the facade. Then if you put a pop of color on the front door, it would draw your eye right to the door (instead of to the right end of the house-where my eye goes at the moment)
September 9, 2013 at 12:58pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
So I painted the door this weekend but it needs another coat. I'll post soon. Question... my husband says that we have to paint the side of the house the same color that we'll paint the vinyl siding on the front. Is that true?
September 16, 2013 at 6:29pm     
lucindalane
You have a nice, mid century home. Everyone's given you some great ideas. I hope you will modernize it, but still maintain its basic identity-it can be done. Good luck with your updates.
September 16, 2013 at 9:32pm      Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here. I've had two very sick little twincesses at home. They're feeling better now, and now I can get back to working on the house. Here is a picture of the West side of the house and the East side of the house. My husband scraped and put a coat of primer on. Still trying to figure out color combinations. Here is the door I painted. Needs another coat of paint but I love it so far.
October 1, 2013 at 9:26am     
Maguire
Sorry to hear about your babies. Your front door and west wall look great! (Who needs sleep?) Well done so far!
October 1, 2013 at 9:39am      Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Thank you. I work full time, so unfortunately between the babies, dog and work, I don't get much sleep at all. Everything I'm doing is done on pure adrenaline. So I walked the neighborhood this weekend and most of the houses like mine are so run down and old looking. I saw a few nice ones but nothing that caught my eye. I'm still tinkering with color ideas. I still like the 'gray' color scheme idea but now that I know we have siding all on one side, I'm not sure how to paint that. I mean horizontal and vertical siding? Oye!
October 1, 2013 at 9:42am   
Maguire
Your upper west wall looks great painted white. Leave the trim and horizontal siding white (it looks like millwork) and paint the vertical siding your gray.
Hang in there Mama. Don't put too much pressure on yourselves to get it done right away. You've taken care of sealing exposed wood, the rest can come in time. Sounds like you already have one of the nicest homes on the block. Your front door is where all eyes will land now.
October 1, 2013 at 10:01am        Thanked by britraebasham
catherinek708
I would definitely move your main door out to where the storm door is now and eliminate the second door if you can. I can't imagine why the previous owners did that. It really isn't adding anything to your home. in fact I think that it detracts. I don't think you will be completely happy with your home as long as you have the funky entryway.

Perhaps you can borrow some space from the living room and create a niche of sorts (even if it just the area between the studs... The space people use for recessed medicine cabinets....)

That would give you space for coat hooks in your entryway and it wouldn't interfere with the space you need for the entryway.

if there is more space you could borrow from that side, great! Then you could put a closet or a full size storage cubbie
there.
October 1, 2013 at 10:01am      Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Wow, thanks Catherine. I'm a new mom of twin girls, so the entryway is actually quite helpful when it's raining or cold out. And one of the parts of the house I like the most. I'm going to be adding a full view storm door and paint the inside to bring it up to date, but I don't have the desire to change anything else. This is being done on a very humble budget. Only the outside of the house is being updated. Mostly all of the classic "Virginian" ramblers have that style entryway. At least everyone that has a house just like mine in Fairfax County has it.

Maquire, thanks so much for your ideas. The horizontal siding is wood and mostly all of the original ramblers still or had in when they built. A lot of the homes in my neighborhood have taken it down and just put vinyl horizontal siding all the way up or brick. Which I love the all brick addition, but we have to play with what we have. :)
October 1, 2013 at 10:17am     
RosemaryR
It will come together sweetie, don't worry. The door looks fab!
October 1, 2013 at 11:06am        Thanked by britraebasham
catherinek708
God bless you and your family. I am sorry, I didn't know that was the norm where you live. I am in the Midwest and we have many single story homes here but None with that type of entryway. It does make sense though. I grew up in a Victorian that had a double door entryway. It helps keep the cold air out!
October 1, 2013 at 9:50pm   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Love what you did with the front door, and Maguire is right - give yourself credit for what you've accomplished, and don't put all that pressure on yourself. The time you can spend with your twins is precious, and when they are older, you will treasure the memories.
I'm in the middle of my daughter's imminent wedding (in 10 days), so I'm not on houzz quite as often right now. Thanks for the update. I'm enjoying sharing the journey with you.
October 2, 2013 at 9:16pm      Thanked by britraebasham
lucindalane
The red door looks great. Just wondering, do you plan to replace your storm door eventually with the kind that is all one glass piece? It would be great to see that red door through an unobstructed view, and not through the kind of storm door that has a screen right in the middle of it.
I'm glad your little girls are better. I only had one son-who's now grown, but I remember how it was to worry when your little one is sick. Of course, you still worry even when they're "grown," but they seem so vulnerable when they are little-when they really actually are really resilient little people. :)
October 2, 2013 at 9:35pm      Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Aww, weddings!!!! I'm sure you're so busy right now. Best of luck with the wedding. I hope it's all your daughter has dreamed it to be. :)
October 3, 2013 at 9:52am     
Michael Tauber Architecture
Consider a wood screen that is horizontal in proportion near the entry perhaps covering the window area - the screen could be slatted to create texture and perhaps later be something that a vine like planting could grow on.
October 3, 2013 at 10:01am      Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Lucinda, thank you! I do plan on replacing the storm door. Right now we're trying to decide what color. It's an Andersen 400 Series with Dual-Pane Insulating Glass. They come in White, Almond, Sandtone, Bronze, Forest Green, Terratone, Black and Wineberry. We are going to go with Brass hardware since the front door handles are brass and when you walk into the entryway, everything is brass (we've never changed it since moving in).

I'm glad my girls are feeling better too. One of them has problems with her immune system (frequent bouts of Pneumonia) so I typically disconnect from the world when my babies are not feeling well. Thanks.

I'm attaching some more pics. The first two are of the final outcome on the door. The last pic is again of the potential colors to paint the siding and trim. The more I look at it the more I don't like it. I can't see the entire right side of my house painted that dark. I thought it might look better with a green, not so much of the grayish/green. Does that make sense? Here are the greens I was looking into (all BM):

'Wethersfield Moss HC-110'
'Great Barrington Green HC-122'
'Louisburg Green HC-113'

I'm not sure what to do with the trim again now that I don't want to go so dark. My husband is also going to do some landscaping on that right side of the house. It's so overgrown. I use to have it so nice, but then the pregnancy and babies came. LOL. I would get out there and do it myself but I'm highly allergic to something over there and lands me in the ER every time I mess with it. Anyway, we decided to remove everything except the lilies and level it out and just put down pea gravel or some type of gravel with large stepping stones. It can also double as an extension of our nasty driveway. We don't have the funds to do asphalt or concrete. My husband knows the owner over at Rock, Sand and Stone Yard, and I'm praying we get some type of good deal for buying a lot. I've attached a pic of the right side of the house and yard also so you will see how I'm trying to tie all this in.
October 3, 2013 at 10:23am     
britraebasham
Thank you for your suggest Michael. I wish I could envision what you're talking about. Is there a picture or website you could direct me to that would help?
October 3, 2013 at 10:28am   
britraebasham
Here is the right side of the house with a coat of primer on it. That's A LOT of white!!!!
October 3, 2013 at 10:33am   
chrisinky
What about reversing your color scheme. Paint the horizontal siding the lighter color & your trim the darker color. Then on the end of the house, paint the upper (triangle) section the dark like the trim. I don't think the end needs to be all one color since it is 2 different types of material.

Look above at the pictures that Maguire & Sweet Caroline posted-way up at the top of this thread. There's 2 brick houses with dark gray trim. One has a cream siding on part of it & the other has a lighter gray siding around the door. The dark trim on both look great & one even has the eave area painted to match the dark trim.

Your door looks great painted red! I really like red doors.
October 3, 2013 at 12:25pm     
britraebasham
Thank you for your suggestions. I have been playing around with virtually painting my house and the lighter just doesn't come across the way the more subtle green does. Not dismissing it though. This is such a stressful process.
October 3, 2013 at 12:29pm   
chrisinky
I understand completely. I've been picking out colors for my entire interior. Thank goodness they make those little sample jars now. I have 5 definite no's & 5 yes's. It's a hard decision! I've spent hours staring at color swatches.
October 3, 2013 at 1:09pm   
britraebasham
So I ventured out to Jerry's Paint and spoke with a color consultant and then followed up with Rick to see if my choice would be aesthetically pleasing. We chose a green with gray undertones instead of gray with green undertones. I will have to send the color name tomorrow as I totally forgot it. What do you think so far?
October 7, 2013 at 2:18pm     
hazeldazel
that color looks wonderful! It's really going to pop against the brick.
October 7, 2013 at 2:34pm        Thanked by britraebasham
chrisinky
It looks great!
October 8, 2013 at 6:53am        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Okay, I believe the color is BM 2141-40 (creekside green). I love it so far and can't wait to get busy painting the rest. We've decided to keep the shutters and add a couple more on the East side facing windows. We'll use either BM 2134-10 (night horizon) or BM 2114-10 (bittersweet chocolate). Rick at BM said he would do all the trim, eaves, etc, in bright white to match the vinyl window colors. The color consultant also said to paint the new full view storm door in the night horizon or bittersweet chocolate. What do you think? My only issue at the end of all this will be what color paint the entryway. Ugh, the dreaded entryway that I love so much. Haha!
October 8, 2013 at 7:13am   
RosemaryR
Keep the entryway white..
October 8, 2013 at 11:16am   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
You might pick up your grout color, or a variation of it, in the walls in the entry way, since that would tie your exterior brick to the red door. 976 coastal fog comes to mind, but there are other similar colors which might also work.
October 16, 2013 at 6:54pm   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
Glad that someone at Jerry's was able to help you.
October 16, 2013 at 6:54pm   
Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
First of all...you are so impressive...twins, a full time job, taking care of a home and then painting too?? Wow! What a difference already...can't wait to see more. The green-gray warmed up the house ...love it!
October 16, 2013 at 8:39pm   
Sigrid
Landscaping will work wonders. You don't want a row of identical plants. You want to mix it up with some perennials in between. You also want to pick your cultivar carefully. Some bloom longer than others. Also, you want to watch final height.

If the Cape Myrtle is going to get bigger, you might want to raise the canopy --- prune lower hanging branches and thin the number of branches. Read up on the tree, most trees can take a fair amount of hacking (you can cut lilacs to the ground and have they re-grow) but a few can't.
October 16, 2013 at 9:38pm   
britraebasham
Okay, this was a weekend if painting. Here is the difference with just the first coat.
November 3, 2013 at 6:13pm     
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
You picked a good weekend. (Since we're in the same area) We had great weather last weekend - and here comes the cold! Hope you are able to get a second coat on, but one will help, even if you have to wait till spring for the next coat. Don't paint if it isn't warm enough at night - your surface temperature won't get warm enough to allow the paint to dry properly, and the paint job will be ruined. But your first coat is looking good!
November 3, 2013 at 7:45pm        Thanked by britraebasham
judie
I am really a novice, but a penny here--on the triangular end of the house it would look more updated with the ends of trim painted & taped to extend green color to triangular end of trim. I'm not clear on this, paint the little "cone" shape at tip of gable. Paint trim white to extend white to top of overhang. I think that the white under the scalloped bottom would look better green rather than white also. It looks outdated with all the gingerbread scallops. Good work so far.
November 3, 2013 at 8:49pm   
britraebasham
Hi Judie. The scalloped trim is original so it was on the house when we bought it nine years ago. So with it being a 1954, I would definitely say it's outdated. But we don't have a lot of money and wanted to make small affordable changes that would have an impact. We still have to paint the trim and shutters. As for the attic vent on the gable and the round trim pieces, I too said to paint them green and make the trim more asymmetrical. My husband didn't likely idea. So I need to get my mom over and tell him it needs to be painted. He listens to her. Haha!
November 4, 2013 at 9:14am     
lboycehome
M
November 5, 2013 at 6:52pm   
Beverly Harrah
Doesn't appear that it would require alot of paint. Take measurements, go to paint store and let them give you a quote for materials. Then paint it yourself.
November 5, 2013 at 7:12pm   
britraebasham
Beverly - Take measurements of what?
November 6, 2013 at 10:02am   
Beverly Harrah
Of the house so person at the the paint store can give you an estimate of the requied paint
November 6, 2013 at 11:08am   
britraebasham
We already painted the house.
November 6, 2013 at 11:12am     
lucindalane
britaebasham, I like the two-toned treatment, myself. I think its nice to tie it to the color of the body of the house. To my "eyeballs," its obvious that the corner of the eaves of the house is part of the trim, and I like how the white trim on the corner of the house has the unbroken line of "white" going right up to the trim on the end gable of the house, and then the paneling layered on top painted to match the house looks good. .
November 6, 2013 at 2:51pm        Thanked by britraebasham
chookchook2
Front door paint job looks professional. Latest garden trend is use pretty vegetables as ornamentals,eg cut and come again lettuce as a border. Also you can eat it! In our town the council put multi coloured silver beet/ spinach (not sure which ) and lettuces in designs with the bedding annuals! It looked terrific.
November 6, 2013 at 3:12pm        Thanked by britraebasham
lucindalane
I've seen ornamental kale used as a winter plant here.
November 6, 2013 at 3:22pm        Thanked by britraebasham
chookchook2
There you are, see.
November 6, 2013 at 3:58pm        Thanked by britraebasham
britraebasham
Wow, thanks. That sounds awesome. I will certainly check in to that. I really appreciate all the feedback. It's helped so much. It's hard being on such a thin budget but I think even changing some little things, like the color of the door, really make an impact. I love walking into my house now. :)
November 6, 2013 at 4:53pm     
nwduck
Just saw this thread....my! what a difference! It just goes to show that a little paint can make a big change. The ornamental kale referred to above would be beautiful in your front planter....there is a version that is creamy white centers and grayed green leaves. That would look terrific. A nursery generally would sell the big versions (about 12" or more across), so it wouldn't take too many to make a statement. If the kale lasts long enough in your area, you could infill with some bright red oversized outdoor ornaments for the holidays! One more thing I think would be great is a brand spanking new American flag. Good work. You are right to be proud!
November 6, 2013 at 5:55pm        Thanked by britraebasham
lucindalane
They also pair the kale with pansies. Where I live we don't get much snow, but it very often gets cold enough that it will damage any plants that aren't evergreen, and both of these can take pretty low temps.
My grandmother loved pansies. She said they looked like they had little faces, and I've always thought they were pretty, too. When my son was a child, he made me a Mother's Day card with a "smiling" pansy on the front because I had told him what his great grandma had said. My grandmother definitely had a green thumb. She could grow anything.
Like paint, its amazing just how a couple of plants can brighten things up.
November 6, 2013 at 7:33pm   
saratogaswizzlestick
Try JoMax for the roof mildew. I know of people who used it on their roof and were very happy with the results. I have used Spray it and Forget It on walks and mildew on stucco and that worked very well but I don't know how that is on shingles. Your paint looks great. I am so glad you are not topping your crepe myrtle. You can limb it up if need be.
November 6, 2013 at 8:04pm   
hazeldazel
Wow, what a difference! A little paint and a little trimming, and now your house is the best on the block! :)
November 7, 2013 at 11:00am   
POLL: Carpet or Hardwood?
Do you prefer carpet or hardwood as your go-to flooring...
POLL: Pool or Hot Tub?
Some people have both. Some have just one or the other....
Need Help to get a Wow factor in Living Room
I cannot pick a style I like. I keep going for boring,...
What color should I paint this bench?
I am trying to do a "pick me up" in our mud room area....
Finishing up the master
I posted my bedroom awhile ago to get some help with...