Tiling issue
laurie_tim
Having my wall done and tiles appear quite crooked. Wall was a bit crooked but the tile looks terrible. Contractor may not be done yet. Is this fixable?
sharpkl
It doesn't look lie the adhesive was applied evenly. Not acceptable IMHO. Catch it before he grouts it.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:30PM
laurie_tim
He's grouted it. He thought it looked great. I haven't paid him yet, but I have 800 bucks worth of tile up there.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:34PM
0825sam
I'm sorry this happened. Lipping is a problem with this size tile (12x24) but my understanding is that it can be prevented by not doing the 50/50 brick pattern (I think it's a 1/3 pattern that's recommended). In the photo yours looks like 50/50. That being said it still seems like a bad job - I have 12x24 tiles in the 50/50 pattern in 2 baths and it looks smooth.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:38PM
Angel18432
Funny you should mention this. I'm just having my backsplash done and was asking questions about tile in general.

My guy said the larger the tile, the more difficult it is to get it to look right as if the floor is a little uneven, you will get "bowing" - with smaller tiles it's easier to not to get bowing. Which makes sense, if you have an unevenness it will be like a "see saw" effect which is what you seem to have.

Is you guy an "experienced" tile layer? Maybe you should get another tiler in for a 2nd opinion
before paying the first contractor.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:51PM
ReMax - Lisa
Most of these 12x24 tiles have a warning on them from the tile store not to lay them in a brick pattern like this. They are meant to be laid end to end only so these lips don't occur. It's really bad when on floors as they become a tripping hazard. Nothing can be done now but to remove them and start over I think. Or live with it.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:51PM
laurie_tim
I like the comment to get another tiler in. This contractor installed cupboards for me which was about equal to the value of the tile cost. Nothing pd yet.
If redoing it at his cost is not something he wants to entertain - I'm thinking he buys the tiles, too - I'll suggest he walk away and I have no charges.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:57PM
laurie_tim
Appreciate the suggestions re 1/3 pattern, but even in smaller areas the job doesn't look too good:
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 6:59PM
sharpkl
Thank you for bring this to our attention. I would never think this could happen unless someone told me. I had considered large tile around tub area. I can see where more than style preference has to be considered.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 7:00PM
Angel18432
The man that is doing my backsplash is a tiler - he doesn't do anything else. If your installer is a "jack of all trades" pardon the expression, maybe he's not experienced enough in tiling to have done this job properly.
I would not be paying him for unsatisfactory workmanship.
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 7:06PM
ReMax - Lisa
We have these same size tiles in 2 of our bathrooms and they are fine, as long as they aren't in a brick pattern. They lay very flat. We did them in a vertical pattern and they look great.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 7:18PM
Angel18432
http://floorelf.com/how-to-install-absolutely-flat-floor-tile

Here's an article about installing flat floor tile, which I'm assuming would apply to wall tile.
From what I'm reading it's not the tile, it's the installer.
1 Like   September 4, 2013 at 8:52PM
laurie_tim
He asked me how I wanted it laid...gave me the choice brick style or thirds i believe. I did say brick but wasn't aware this would be the result...
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 9:04PM
Emily Reid
If he gave you brick as an option, then he has indicated to you that it can be done. I would have him re do it and of course he would have to purchase the tile again. That is a terrible job. I'm sorry!
3 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 9:22PM
Need help with laminate flooring direction.
Please tell me which direction should i run the flooring. Thank...
Pros and cons of steam showers?
We are thinking of making our shower in our master...
Should doors to other rooms in the kitchen match cabinet style?
I have 2 doors in my kitchen (1 to walk in pantry and...
Faucet finishes
I am in the middle of adding a shower to an existing...