Is it possible to do an accent wall in a hallway?
robertafalcaorech
Hi!! I have this hallway that I was thinking to paint only the left side with a darker color, something gray/blue and I would like to know if is a good idea for a hallway because I only saw pictures in bedrooms and living rooms, not in a middle space without windows like my hallway.
Any help is welcome.
Thank you so much,
Roberta
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
I feel the point of an accent wall is to make it a focal - what about your hallway makes it the potential focal for you? Of you feel it's dark and uninteresting then either lighten the entire space -walls, trim and ceiling with a runner or go quite dark on all surfaces too add drama. Create a washed wall o. One side with lighting and artwork for interest.
September 4, 2013 at 8:50PM     
I would not paint this hallway wall with a darker color. It will feel like it is closing in.
September 4, 2013 at 8:58PM     
robertafalcaorech
Thank you so much for your help. I just wanted to give more life to my hallway and I thought painting with a different color would be good, but I will try to find another idea.. Thanks!
September 4, 2013 at 9:04PM   
seeso
This is unrelated to your question but I do like your wood flooring- might you know what it is?
September 4, 2013 at 9:07PM   
mrsfrida
My hallway is an accent wall and I love it (still working on making it a gallery wall)
September 4, 2013 at 9:47PM     
Karin Madgwick
A trend at the moment is to paint hall ways a darker colour then hang large mirrors and art work along the walls. The doors and architraves would also have to be painted the same as the walls so that the mirrors and art are the features. This then becomes a space of its own rather than just a hall way.
September 4, 2013 at 9:57PM     
kiixi
My neighbours back in the Netherlands had a great accent wall in the hallway. They painted mixed coloured squares on one wall, like a quilt. So not to much different colours and they were contrasting colours but pastel ones so not too harsh on your eyes.
September 4, 2013 at 10:06PM     
Premier Decoration
I think I like just a bit color on, but what I love to is hanging small pictures (painting) on both left and right sides with the vibration colors on. continue to the end way.
September 4, 2013 at 10:33PM     
LB Interiors
I would not break up and divide a hallway with two different paint colors. It will narrow the space even more. If you run chair rail molding in the hallway, it will tend or push the walls farther away from each other and minimize the length.
Example
Before - Narrow Hallway
After - Narrow Hallway
September 4, 2013 at 11:14PM     
LB Interiors
You could put a landscape mural on the solid wall. That will visually open the space.
September 4, 2013 at 11:15PM     
robertafalcaorech
Thanks a lot for all comments and for sharing the pictures, it is helping me a lot! I still didnt decide but now is much better with your views.
September 5, 2013 at 4:57AM     
robertafalcaorech
The floor is oak with Golden Oak stain and super matte finish ;)
September 5, 2013 at 4:58AM     
vacox
I *just* saw this yesterday. Apparently it's up for debate with designers from the previous comments, but this site recommended painting one side a different color (maybe not too dark). See tip #12. http://www.voiceofcolor.com/inspiration/tips#content
September 5, 2013 at 5:17AM        Thanked by robertafalcaorech
bumblebee728
vacox, I loved the example in tip # 12.
One reason I've recommended 2 different colors in a hallway was when a friend wanted to paint a hallway the same yellow as her kitchen because one of the hall walls was directly joined to her kitchen wall without a break. I explained to her if she did this, her 'hallway yellow' would be much different than her 'kitchen yellow', even though they were the exact same color. With the yellow bouncing off the hall walls less than 3' from each other, it would become a much more saturated yellow. We did the opposite hall wall in a soft white the same color as the trim, and it turned out perfectly! She had her yellow, the kitchen had it's perfectly smooth transition from itself to hallway, and the people who walk through the hall don't have yellow screaming at them as they go through!
September 5, 2013 at 7:49AM        Thanked by robertafalcaorech
Lee Lyon
If you want a slight difference you could take your paint chip and either lighten or darken 2 shades. The majority of people won't notice any difference but it could open it up.
September 5, 2013 at 8:04AM        Thanked by robertafalcaorech
LB Interiors
Good idea bumblebee. I recommended a similar idea to a client by choosing 2 shades lighter of the chosen color used in the adjoining spaces because of the lack of light. Or it can be 2 shades lighter of the opposite hallway wall. You could choose a different color for accent if you keep it in the same saturation of the opposite wall.
September 5, 2013 at 9:28AM     
anne dee
Placing art on the wall would be the "accent"

September 5, 2013 at 9:46AM        Thanked by robertafalcaorech
hoffycom
Hi, we used wainscoting and wallpaper to accent our hall wall. Also changed the closet doors. Hope this helps.
September 16, 2013 at 5:29AM     
leelee
No, not a fan of accent walls. There is not a good reason for doing that. It won't enhance the look of your home. I think adding a chair rail as LB suggested might help the look.
September 16, 2013 at 5:40AM     
Landscaping Needs your help.
We added a 4 season room with a storage room below...
master bath
seamless glass
Need advice on kitchen
Which comes first?? Kitchen cabinets or flooring??...
Help me pick the best soaking tub.
The tub can be freestanding or built-in. I want a tub...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...