Insulation? Where does it go?
projecthelp
September 4, 2013 in Other
Having some work done to my place and was a little thrown off by my contractor when he said you don't need insulation in interior walls. It only goes on wall or exterior where it is exposed to the outside. For example making my formal living room into a bedroom and the new wall closing the formal living room is not getting any insulation only drywall. Is this normal practice? He said it does not for nose reduction either?
kimdee24
Typically, at least in my area (Alberta), they only insulate exterior walls and ceilings. If I had it to do over, I would have had them insulate all interior with rock wool insulation (ie: Roxul Safe n' Sound) for sound dampening.
0 Likes   September 4, 2013 at 11:24PM
Ironwood Builders
Insulation is to keep heat or cold inside the envelope of the house, so it is not necessary for interior walls, only attics or roofs, exterior walls and crawlspaces. Sound barrier is also available as fiberglass matting, similar to energy insulation, it does work. I have R-11 in my interior walls and sound is definitely reduced when the doors are closed on those rooms (carpenter's house = shoemaker's children...not done yet). Not sure why your builder would say it doesn't work. I strive to find ways to avoid saying no...but will be clear if what is being discussed is not in the contract and therefore a change order.
0 Likes   Thanked by projecthelp    September 5, 2013 at 12:34AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Sound batts in interior walls are good design...........especially if you have teenagers in the house or frequent guest, but Dave (Ironwood) is right about the contract issues. If it wasn't in the contract documents it would be considered a change order.
0 Likes   Thanked by projecthelp    September 5, 2013 at 4:47AM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Insulation is typically only *required* on exterior walls. It is however very good practice on interior walls where sound attenuation is desired. We typically always insulation bathrooms for sound. Any bedroom wall directly adjacent to a kitchen or living space usually gets it. And in luxury homes we typically put it in all interior walls. It makes a big difference in how the home feels inside: it is much quieter, but also in a less easy to describe way feels "sturdier."
1 Like   September 5, 2013 at 12:25PM
creeser
Insulation on interior walls does help with soundproofing. We always install it around bathrooms and bedrooms and in between floors of two story homes for that very reason.
0 Likes   Thanked by projecthelp    September 6, 2013 at 9:12AM
projecthelp
Thanks everyone. Yeah it is very unfortunate that it is not in writing because i just assumed that it was a part of it. I mean he is making the formal living room into a bedroom and it is right off the entry hall way. He is only putting it on the exterior walls.
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 1:28PM
kimdee24
Well, now is the time while the walls are open. If he won't do it, it's easy enough to do yourself. But I don't see any reason why he should refuse, if you sign a change order. It doesn't even cost that much.
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 1:59PM
projecthelp
Hello, so i was told to buy R-13 insulation from HD will this do anything for sound reduction?
1 Like   September 6, 2013 at 2:38PM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Sure, that'll work. But if you are at HD, you are better off with Owens Corning "Quiet Zone" designed specifically for interior insulation. Whatever you get, look for "unfaced". Otherwise, shop a local source for sound batts. There are other products out there like mineral wool, denim, etc. that are just as effective and while more expensive, more environmentally friendly to produce and install.
1 Like   Thanked by projecthelp    September 6, 2013 at 5:50PM
kimdee24
There is not much price difference between the Owens Quiet Zone and the Roxul Safe n' Sound (rock wool). I just bought a bag of Roxul for my utility room, it was about $35. Made a huge difference in the adjacent bedroom and really cut down the noise from the furnace and other utilities. (not so itchy to work with too... bonus!). If I can figure out how, I'm going to put some in the ceiling, too.

In any case, and whatever you use, I'm glad you're getting it done.
0 Likes   Thanked by projecthelp    September 6, 2013 at 6:10PM
Dining room
What can I do to improve this space? I am reluctant...
Kelly Holt
Living Room Arrangement Help
We are looking for advice on how to make our living...
sazak
What is the best backsplash above the kitchen sink?
The paint above my kitchen sink needs to either be...
cgraybill
need help with my great room and screened in porch
We are building a new home and we have planned a great...
vkdreamhome
Family Room
I need guidance on wall art, area rug, and throw pillows....
jschlemm