I would like to see what my house would look like Weatherboarded

Paul WoodmanSeptember 4, 2013
Is there any software that would show what my house would look like if I was to put Weatherboard on the FRONT TOP HALF?
Paul Woodman
I would like to see what it would look like in this colour....
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:36PM
Amy Hagedorn, BID
Photoshop works best
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 12:53AM
Sustainable Dwellings
I think it looks fine as it is.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:29AM
Paul Woodman
Yes I know but I live 100ft from the beach so I thought it would look nice with Weatherboard on the front top half to give it the seaside look.
Plus the house next door is a mirror image so I wanted my house to look different.
I would be very grateful if someone would kindly superimpose the light grey (like the other photo) weatherboard on it for me as I am not very good with computers.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 5:03AM
suzanne_m
This is not the best but it gives you an idea. Also, strangely, the weatherboard looks more beige on your house than the one in your example but I used an extract of your example to put on your house so it is the same one even if it appears a different color.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Paul Woodman    September 5, 2013 at 6:06AM
Paul Woodman
Thanks Suzanne, I think its looks better Weatherboarded, any comments anyone?
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:21AM
Fred S
Definitely changes the look. I wonder if just doing the gable from the top of the window up and behind all the detail would be enough.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:25AM
hapeame
Please don't cover up that gorgeous brick! If you want your beautiful home to stand out from your neighbor's, you could get a different garage door & front door, or do something different with your landscaping instead.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:33AM
Paul Woodman
Its the Brick I want to hide as nearly every house in the UK is made from Red Bricks!
And the gable end looks like a suprised face with the eyebrows above the 2 windows!
4 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:49AM
Fred S
Before getting too far along on this thought, you need to understand local construction techniques and how the house breathes. Covering up a gable to change the look is one thing, but to add another layer to an entire wall system can be quite another. You may be inviting the humidity to hang out in the wrong wall cavity and cause mold problems.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:59AM
mefor
Could you just repaint the all the trim, the garage doors and even the grey/black brick decorative pattern? I know that there's an abundance of red brick in the UK, but the half siding look on your style of house makes it look like a 1970's council house. Kind of blah. Perhaps a whitewash of bricks if you truly hate being one of the multitudes of red brick houses.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:08AM
mefor
Here's a few pics of whitewashed and one painted examples. I like the idea of a light teal color for the woodwork detail and door.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:13AM
mefor
:)
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:14AM
Elaine P
The brick siding and tile roof make it all low care If you cover with wood or white wash, then you have to deal with upkeep. What about painting that big screaming white garage door to be the same color as the charcoal or black color accent bricks that are on the siding of the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:56AM
Paul Woodman
Fred S There would not be a problem with mold as the precoloured Cement based weatherboards are fixed to batons so there is gap to allow to breath, the boards are impregnated with colour and do not need painting for 20 years. see....
http://www.jameshardie.co.uk/hardieplank-cladding
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:03AM
Fred S
I am actually referring to any interior wall cavity. Extra layers can slow the humid air down and change where the dew point occurs. I am not saying you would have a problem as I do not know the type of construction or where the vapor barriers may be in your wall. I am just saying you need to check with a qualified engineer. It may only be a 2 minute conversation, but well worth it.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:22AM
suzanne_m
Here's a rough draft of a mix of Fred and mforr suggestions: change gable on top maybe something like in the picture below and white wash the top part and paint a grayish color for the trim. I am not very good at color and I am not convinced that is the way to go but I am hoping other houzzers will comment on it so it will educate me as well.

20 Iron Bottom Lane · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:00AM
mefor
How about this, just picture the paint more "sheer" because of whitewash. Please do not laugh. I'm just trying to illustrate the idea, I know it looks rather like a cartoon. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:08AM
suzanne_m
mforr, aside from not being sheer, I find that you did a better job than I at painting the house.

I have an idea where you are going with this, it is just that I am not sure if Paul Woodman wants to be so different from the others houses. The house might stand out too much if all the other houses in the neighborhood are similar. I am saying that but I must say I am not completely confident about my comment.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:15AM
suzanne_m
mforr, if you want it more sheer, all you need to do with photoshop is before you start to paint you select the percentage of the opacity. By default it is set to 100%. You may find that option on the second top bar menu.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:45AM
mefor
Thank you, but it's not photo shop :)
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:00PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We can help you if you want a 2D rendering with the actual materials you want on the home . Mforr you did great. Keep up the good work . The blue house is the before .
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:13PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Drawings did not load.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:48PM
Maguire
Removing the detail at the gable and adding the siding to the top of the windows only, then lime the brick to the first floor roof in the front and the horizontal dark band above the garage and side.
I don't see your front door. Can you frame in the portico and relocate the door to face the front of your home? Also replacing the garage doors can make a big impact, at least paint them. Take it slow, step by step, you don't just want your home to look different than the neighbors, you want it to look better, but not out of place in the neighborhood. It will be challenging because it's already a great looking home. Go carefully.
Having trouble finding pictures with the exact materials but the homes below show siding under the gable, but you have to use your imagination to picture brick where the stone or other shingles are.
Fred S is right about adding the siding, worth a 10 minute phone call to an engineer to know your not creating problems.
exterior'>Exterior · More Info

Salem Avenue Renovation · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 3:17PM
suzanne_m
Here's a bit of everything that has been suggested:

- Replaced gable by a weatherboard
- Painted 'eye brows' same color as the brick to dissimulate them
- White wash top part except the blue stripe
- Added windows to the garage door
    Bookmark   Thanked by Paul Woodman    September 5, 2013 at 6:22PM
suzanne_m
I also painted the garage door the same color as the weatherboard and would probably paint the front door the same color as the blue stripe.

BTW Maguire, I believe the door is on the side wall of the garage. There is a half wall on the left of the garage that is at the height of the blue stripe below the window. That is why I believe there is a porch there.
    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 6:47PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Before and after stone and siding .
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:27PM
Maguire
I see the porch and the door looks like it faces the front, just to the left of the window on the far right, but there's a half wall with what looks like a window on top blocking the view of the entry. I'd recommend exposing the front door by removing as much of the obstruction as possible. Perhaps this is the look for the area in which case ignore what I've said, but a clearly visible entry door is popular not only for safety reasons, but also because it looks better, more inviting.
Great job on the photoshop. I'd use a gray tone, similar to the "band" color rather than yellow and bring the weatherboard down to the window top to cover the eyebrows.
Haven't heard from Paul in awhile, perhaps he's made a decision.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:18PM
Paul Woodman
Yes Maguire you are correct about the front door, it is front facing and behind the porch which I need where I live 100ft from the sea because of the winds in the winter.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:40AM
suzanne_m
Maguire, is this the kind of grey you were thinking?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 1:26AM
Maguire
Yes Suzanne! So nice of you. Now that I see it, I think your first picture with the hardiplank on the entire upper floor looked better, more clean.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 1:42AM
OnePlan
I'm hoping you will let us know how you get on with this - as I have a holiday home that would benefit from this treatment !!!! its not coastal - but in the wilds of the Scottish hills !! think this cladding would be perfect !! :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 1:44AM
joycreasey
Maquire, I love Everything Home Designs first idea. Instead of going stark white at the top, maybe painting the top a lighter tone of the brick. The white seems a really stark change. But awesome that someone photoshopped it for you!
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:51AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
I think Mforr did that drawing . I haven't made a drawing for this house .
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:03AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Small pre view .We could do the whole house if you need to.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:30AM
Elisa Jed
Would you try to have the boarding the beige color or match your roofing? Calgary is known for having the weather boards, but I haven't seen a lot with a different color than the house.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:59AM
Paul Woodman
Home designs have probably done the best creation yet but I would have horizontal weather boards in light grey (as my above original sample) across the whole upper front of the house, and I would paint the garage door in the same colour, can you do that for me please?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:52AM
joycreasey
Everything Beautiful...I was referring to the first awesome photo you posted of another house. :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:33AM
joycreasey
Have you considered just doing stacked stone on the front bottom (below the lower roof) and leaving the brick on the rest of it?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:35AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Before and after.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:49PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Gray siding
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:56PM
suzanne_m
I like joycreasey's suggestion about stacked stone so I did a photoshop to show you:
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:07PM
suzanne_m
I don't know if I would do the white wash on the picture below but I would definitively paint the 'eye brows' the same color as the brick.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:17PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
When you buy one of our 2D renderings we can explore all these options in several drawing you can choose from . We provide you the clarity you need to make a sound decision . If your interested.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 3:26PM
Paul Woodman
Home designs How much does it cost?
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 2:30AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
This drawing with 3 to choose from $150.00 everythingbeautifulllc@gmail.com
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 3:11AM
Paul Woodman
Blimey that a lot! You can buy the whole 3D software and do it yourself for around £25 ($40) in the UK!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 4:23AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
No not really quite affordable. First have to learn the program then hope the program has all the features you need ,color enhancing tools with a large library of colors and up to date , then real world name brand products that you can use in your drawing like Armstrong, Pella, Certain Teed, Alside, Nordex, and not all programs have that . I use numerous programs to just get one good 2D drawing most of the time . Believe me this is no DIY project. This is a service for people who don't have that capability .
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 4:42AM
joycreasey
Everything Beautiful, do you just change the colors and trim/doors/windows or do you guys actually redesign new facades. I had the facade of my house and will eventually completely redesign the roofline.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 5:07AM
joycreasey
Suzanne's rendering is exactly what i was talking about. Can you show it also in light grey stacked rock?
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 5:14AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
$40.00 Plus Lots of time learning the program, it does not generate itself. This program cost $400.00 and does not have all the real products and colors you need . My 3D a lot more than that and still has limited capabilities .If you buy a 3D program you first have build the house from the ground, before you can even start to apply the finishes. That's if the finishes are not cartoonish or realistic in the program now what you just bought a program that does not do what you want, maybe there's another one and on and on until you find what your looking for. This may be expensive in the U k but not here in the US. I know you can get everything here on houzz for free but as a service where you can get what you want fast and move on with your project, it's pretty affordable . There lies the problem it's in the free part that dilutes our profession. As you can ask anyone who does these drawings how much time is involved in learning ,then doing before you get a good quality image .
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 5:28AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We do the whole thing to a complete redesign but I would do that in 3D animation and it would be shipped to you in a thump drive, the images I can just email you . two different processes and therefore two different prices.The 2D can change the roof like but very difficult for you to visualize from many angles as its just from what ever angle you send me .Examples below top two before and after 2D last two 3D.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 6:31AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Yes we can do it in grey anything you want it in, even change the roof tile if you want. You will have full control of the selections and choices provided I have them in one of my programs but most likely for what you want I'll have it.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 6:37AM
suzanne_m
Personally, I would pay $150 to have it done by a professional. Fancy software is not necessarily easy to learn. You need to invest a lot of time and sometimes even to pay for courses to learn its full capacities. You could buy the software and invest the time to learn it but imo it would be worth only if you plan to use it many times.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:17AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Not trying to be rude just real . I love all of you very much this is a gift and lot's of hard work to learn not to mention my 32 years of working with installing lots of these products helps in making the drawing believable. I use it a lot with my new clients who have trouble deciding on materials because they need to see it on there home before they commit. Can you imagine installing it then they don't like it, before they even sign a contract. Not realistic but the drawing helps them decide and we can move on together.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:30AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
By the way like the stacked stone it works well with the siding in gray softens everything up.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:32AM
OnePlan
Hi Paul - don't want to alarm you - but have you seen this thread ?!?! http://houzz.com/discussions/639400
Think it's the US version ?!?!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:48AM
mefor
OnePlan, I have Hardie, and it most definitely does not look anything like that. Those boards look like they aren't fitted correctly and perhaps aren't fastened correctly either. Maybe the installers are used to working with vinyl and slapping it up fast, very shoddy job.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 8:02AM
Paul Woodman
Yes I wont be using Hardie I am using a thicker plank made by Marley http://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Facades/Weatherboard/Cedral-Weatherboard.aspx
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 8:23AM
OnePlan
Phew !
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 9:44AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We design interiors and exteriors usually in a 3D rendition but 2D works well when it's applying finishes to your existing home.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 2:39PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
It's my passion making someone see what there home can be.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 4:06PM
Paul Woodman
I had a go at doing it myself
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 1:52AM
Fred S
Very nice. I would do the garage door the same color.
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 2:42AM
Alicia Michajlow
You could render the front of it and it would be cheaper.
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 4:04AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Good for you I 'm impressed with your effort . Looks good, now you have successfully put pen to paper to help yourself visualize what was wanted . Why was it so important for you to see this on your house ? Probably for the same reason we do the drawings so you can visualize what your about to undertake . Now you need the stacked stones and paint the garage door . Because you tried I' ll take it from here . You deserve it .
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:38AM
Paul Woodman
Dont like the stacked stone affect, just the grey upper front weatherboarded and maybe the garage door in the same colour.
It was importent to see what it looks like to see if I liked it or not before I employ a tradesman to do the work, and I quite like it, do you think its an improvement?
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:48AM
OnePlan
Yup ! Looks smart !
Do they do red - the same colour as the brickwork ?! Just wonder what that might look like ?!?! Still with the white trims ?!? Just curious as there's so much red brick to the side ( and I assume the rear ) or would it be too similar to existing perhaps ?!? But without the eyebrows !!!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:53AM
Paul Woodman
No i,m trying to break up all the red brick. Maybe I will get the sides done at a later date when money allows!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:08AM
Ative design
Here are some similar projects":

Exterior Renovations · More Info

this looks nice with black details and natural wood
Exterior · More Info

Kitchen & Addition · More Info

Virginia Highlands Cottage · More Info

Naperville Exterior Makeover · More Info

Renovation-Rehoboth Beach · More Info

Triangle Brick's Cape Cod · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:34AM
OnePlan
Oooh I do like the black - don't think the UK general public could cope with such a dramatic change !!! You'd be the talk of the town Paul !! Tee hee !!
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:45AM
mefor
Love the black, if it was out in the country, maybe a barn conversion and brick building/stable joined together. Would be a bit funny at the seaside though, lol. :)
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 7:48AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
With garage.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Paul Woodman    September 9, 2013 at 8:47AM
Paul Woodman
My house in the winter
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:49AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Beautiful. Love the winter.
    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:00AM
mefor
Hi Paul, how about a grayish green color? It would be lovely with the brick and the roof. Plus, in the winter it would have a bit more oomph than gray, with the snow. I know there's even more snow lately over there. Here are two colors, that you could match with dulux or homebase paint. Either would be lovely. :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:16AM
suzanne_m
Fred, I have some questions for you. Since I don't want to hijack the thread, would you mind giving me your email address to OnePlan. She agrees to forward it to me. You can do it through her 'Contact me' button on her page. This way you don't need to show your email address to everyone.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 9:34AM
I would like to see more...
Modest homes! I am a first time home buyer. I downloaded...
Kimberly Stoginski
I would like to have my bath vanity look like this one, can you help?
I have an old buffay that I am turning into a bath...
Debora Bennett
Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting...
irenale
What is the best paint to re-paint our exterior stucco walls?
The last painter used an elastomeric paint. I think...
leenet13
Bedroom wall color?
I have a white modern bedroom set and I bought this...
ellymays
House lighting
Hi Could you give please any advice, tips how to design...
innas11
What color to paint orange kitchen cabinets
Hi everyone, I need to paint my kitchen cabinets as...
photogirlla