what is the style of these pieces? project coming
k8sl8
I bought this chest for me to blend with the large armoir I found for my husband. I plan to finish the top to match the armoir and use chalk paint on the body. color to be determined. coverlet is ducks egg blue. thoughts?
k8sl8
Here is armoire.
September 5, 2013 at 8:50AM     
I am interested in knowing what style this is too? I like it and if I have to guess ....I would say *Art Deco/Provencial?? Not the armoire- that looks like Broyhill? And please adjust the knobs on the armoire, why do those always look crooked?
September 5, 2013 at 8:51AM        Thanked by k8sl8
soberg
Not sure of the style name. It's a handsome chest - I'd paint it all one color including the top. Due to its dignity, I'd stick with the more adult looking colors...nothing too pastel or "pretty". Maybe taupe? or oxblood? or stain it tobacco or luggage?

If you do go with a top differently colored or stained, I'd choose the demarcation line carefully...whatever most indicates that the top is a separate slab of wood.
September 5, 2013 at 8:55AM        Thanked by k8sl8
restonite
i think it was popular in the 60's and believe they call it mediterranean style. i use to have a dining room set in that style where the top was natural wood (pecan finish i believe) with an off white painted bottom. chalk paint would be lovely. good idea to incorporate the armoire finish on the tops of dresser and night stand. wondering how it would look if you incorporate the chalk paint color on the armoire i.e. paint panels on door or paint frames and leave doors natural. however, i'm sure you wouldn't want to touch the beautiful finish on the armoire.
September 5, 2013 at 8:59AM      Thanked by k8sl8
September 5, 2013 at 9:21AM      Thanked by k8sl8
trebinje
@restonite - I think you're right, this piece is reminiscent of the Italian Provincial living, dining & bedroom furniture my parents purchased in the early '60's, all in pecan finish.
September 5, 2013 at 9:43AM   
k8sl8
thanks everyone. my gu ess was italian provincial as well . the armoire was a super thrift store find at $125 and the wood is beautiful so we'll probably not paint. I'm leaning towards a shade of gray with the dark wax.
September 5, 2013 at 10:34AM     
k8sl8
Oh, and the color of this is not 'blonde' it is actually a painted provincial gold finish with the requisite spatters. Any more thoughts on what color this should be. The coverlet is ducks egg blue and the walls are builders' beige and will be painted. Trim is white.
September 5, 2013 at 2:27PM     
September 5, 2013 at 2:52PM   
I would not paint it. It's very nice as is, and works with your room.
September 5, 2013 at 5:10PM      Thanked by k8sl8
k8sl8
Thanks for your compliment and input. I love the piece but have the nightstand you see and a triple dresseryou see just a corner of in the armoire picture. It seems very yellow to me and takes over the room. If I were to leave it what should I do for other colors. Bedding, wall color, headboard.
September 5, 2013 at 5:43PM   
Keep or tear down and start over?
BEAUTIFUL 5 Acre LOT w funky house.. In a quandary...
Front Door Colour? Landscape?
So, we have listed to sell our house, it is a boring...
New spot for microwave
We have moved our fridge. I got a new microwave and...
Curb appeal?
New house! There seems to be something missing from...
remodeling our kitchen n flooring
we are really confused with flooring countertop n cabinet...