What to do with this fireplace?
ethansophiaSeptember 6, 2013
We are at a real loss of what to do with a fireplace. It's in the den which is open to the kitchen. Im hoping for something cozy but more modern than traditional. Thx!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yoboseiyo
it looks like some molding was removed, maybe replace it, and carry the molding up around the firebox, like a surround, but without the tile.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 7:16AM
smileyface2013
Put a tile surround on the wall and floor. You can go 4-5 inches above the top edge, and add a mantle or not. Use a white marble for a more formal decor, or a charcoal colored or slate-style porcelain tile or travertine for a more casual decor (assuming you are keeping the gray walls).
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 7:33AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
I know you've seen this enough to be sick of it, but using a warm color stone will keep it from being cold . . .
6 Likes    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:05AM
Lynne Mysliwiec
My vote would definitely be a treatment that is taken to the ceiling. It's a gas fireplace, so you don't really need a hearth, but you do have the opportunity now to install one. There are a large number of options, including some manufacturers who have porcelain tiles that are 24 inches deep by a whopping 48" wide. If you consider a mantel, please consider a nice, blocky one.

Since there's nothing on the wall now, you have a couple of great opportunities:
1. If you wish to mount a television above the fireplace, you now have the ability to run any cables and power outlets that are needed.
2. If you wish a mantel, then you can install and place it before you place any tile or stacked stone.

The first answer, is, of course -- find an inspiration. This search will get you contemporary fireplace surrounds on houzz ....take a look, imagine each in your room. Some will be obviously not what you're looking for, but some will be attractive. Post a couple that you like into the conversation (right click on any houzz image, choose embed, and copy the wordpress link at the bottom.
http://www.houzz.com/contemporary-gas-fireplace-surround
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:10AM
Lynne Mysliwiec
Oh yes, and if you decorate for Christmas (not everyone does, of course), consider an outlet for xmas lights as well. :-)
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 10:11AM
Rina
I'd keep it very simple -- this shape could also be done in wood or stone for a cosier feel. And then put a fairly big piece of artwork over it. The right choise of picture will help to make it as cosy as you like. You could put a lamp on the left (where the power outlet is) and a trailing plant on the right in a pretty container.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:25AM
Rina
Choice, not choise. Oy.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:25AM
Rina
Now to get the pic to attach.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:26AM
anne dee
rina "oy." and the attachment "vey. " ;-)
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:30AM
Rina
Hello Anne. We meet again. Vey, indeed. Very vey. Or where I come from, eish. Pronounced "aysh".

But do you think simple is good?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:39AM
PRO
Roc+Solid Land Design
Stucco a surround. With a smooth finish. Then add a thick slab of rustic lumber (mesquite, pecan, etc.) for the mantle. Clean and simple with just enough warmth and charm.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:02PM
Rina
Terra-form, something like this?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:12PM
Rina
Mmm, perhaps the sides are too wide. And the wood should be flush along the top?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:19PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Strange. You can buy faux firepl, made from stone or wood. Go on lone google fake fireplaces. It would fit on that wall measure it. Then add a big mirror above it. Get panels for ends of windows. Extend rod out 3-4" what color are walls. You may want to paint. Also if on budget add bamboo shades, from Home Depot in a white to windows remove what you have. Replace missing moulding n floor. All trim in white. Walls a nice blue gray.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:27PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Love the floors. Area rug is good.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:27PM
Dar Eckert
Alterstudio
custom fireplace

Here's a thought. Box it in to create an asymmetrical fireplace as in the attached photo which has a modern feel.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:27PM
anne dee
@Rina I always think simple is best.
My home reflects that motto.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:37PM
ethansophia
Thank you all for taking the time to put together so many great suggestions. I'm going to look through them and give a couple to my contractor. I love so many of the suggestions. Thank you so much!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:06PM
ethansophia
I forgot to mention that our house was rebuilt due to hurricane sandy. Our boardwalk was completely destroyed by the storm but we were able to pick of some of the wooden boardwalk and wanted to incorporate some of the pieces of the old boardwalk into our mantel. One of the suggestions shows an idea using a wooden mantel. So that might work for us. Thx
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:09PM
Rina
That sounds good, ethansophia. And I like that it's meaningful -- preserving a bit of history, even if it wasn't a good bit. @anne dee -- my mind also reflects that motto.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:38PM
Cat Rowe
Tile with hefty mantel
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:44PM
PRO
Artisan Kitchen and Bath Remodeling
The nice thing about a fireplace is that it doesn't require very much material. You can splurge on a nice wood and stone and make a huge statement for not very much money. Start by finding a piece of stone from a stone yard that you like and go from there. You may be able to find a small amount of really nice tile or stone left over from a bigger job on Craigslist. Good luck.
    Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 3:22PM
melwishes
Have a look at this blog (it's not mine) which will give you an idea and if you read the post it links you to where the idea came from. http://thepeartreecottage.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/fireplace-remodel-before-and-after-with.html
1 Like    Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 5:48AM
pirateroo
Dar Eckert has a great suggestion, you wanted modern-that would look fabulous!
    Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 11:01AM
dclostboy
Clean and simple...porcelain tiles all the way to the ceiling. Or consider textured, paintable MDF...should be easy install and add modern look. Lots of options here: http://www.textures3dpanels.com/textr-wavestxtsample.html
    Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 11:21AM