brighten up this kitchen with paint and accessories

suetutkoSeptember 6, 2013
We are nearing the end of our reno. It has been frustrating - wrong measurements - - more than a few tears, but it is what it has become and we will live with it. We wanted something with no visual distraction as our house is very small and the living area open, as seen in the pictures. Wanting to keep the plaster crown? molding in the living area we left a small bulkhead in the kitchen around the island cabinets - which my husband insisted upon having. I can finally get to the paint colours. We have limited wall area- over the window, around the door - we will be keeping the trim white - and continuing down the bedroom hallway. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated in terms of accent pieces, paint colours, etc. I look forward to hearing your ideas. Keep up the great work.
bschr
Sorry to hear that your renovation was so stressful but as you said it is done now and it looks quite nice. It appears that your tastes are dark and dramatic. I have a couple of thoughts, could you remove the assortment of cups on the shelf? Maybe replace with 6 orange mugs. I think orange would be a lovely accent colour for this room and the rest of your space. The other thing I noticed is that the center cupboards under the sink aren't quite adjusted properly, they need to almost meet.
    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 6, 2013 at 7:31AM
suetutko
Hi BSCHR: You know, of all the little things that need adjustments, (there are soooo many) tweeks, etc, I didn't even notice that one. The carpenter is coming over next week i'll add that to the list. Thanks for the cups suggestion. I left it as is - did mean to remove them - with our various mugs there - which i can keep in the cabinet above. you mentioned orange - should I embrace the orange of the oak floors - which we must leave for now - or continue to ignore? Guess yu already answered my query :) Also - the glass doors aren't in yet for the front of the island. The handles are the suction cups the installer left us with until he returns with the real ones.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 7:52AM
smileyface2013
Your kitchen is beautiful! I would paint the window trim and walls a flat white, with no wood showing. Personally I don't like red with black/gray (although that is an option), so I would choose with citrus color accents, like orange or lemon yellow. Something bright and colorful. You could even go with teal.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 6, 2013 at 7:53AM
carolins
Oh... I feel for you. Must have been so stressful. I know all about it, believe me.

Right, so the window trim will be white. I'd leave that piece of wall above the kitchen window white too. And hang a lovely fabric Roman blind just under the ceiling. Hiding that bit of wall, pretending the window goes all the way up there.

I agree with bschr that some pops of orange will be nice in your kitchen.

Good luck, hope the finishing touches happen quickly and smoothly.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 6, 2013 at 8:00AM
bschr
Funny, I didn't even notice the suction cups but the colour is lovely lol. I think of few pops of orange would be really nice. Your home is very sophisticated and I think orange would be a perfect colour to accentuate the deep tones. I don't see any carpeting with the exception of sisal?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:01AM
suetutko
Hi carolins and bschr: Love the idea of a roman blind - I can get on that asap. Also, have really warmed up to orange - who would have thought :) The window trim is stained the same as the cabinets, and will leave that - I still have to do the inside trim though - white or dark? i've attached a pic with the area rug in the LR - i was going to leave that for another discussion as it's new and I think too big for the space. Should it stay or go? any ideas on something that will tie it all in? the 2 chairs look ridiculous there, I know, but we do watch TV in that room, and at a loss of how else to config. Yes, my house is a mess.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:38AM
carolins
Oh okay, so the window trim will stay dark. Hmm... I do think that white will be better in this case. But if you love it, leave it. Inside white then :-) A Roman blind will be a great backdrop for your nice pendant there too.

I don't think the rug is too big for the space. In fact, I'd pull it forward just a bit so the chair on the end is on it too. I really like your style. Modern, but warm.

The only things I don't really like are your purpleish fluffy pillow and the golden/caramel colour on the wall behind the chairs. I would change that to a lighter colour. Perhaps same grey as the rest of the room, but lighter.
And I would keep the purple pillow in the purple chair and the throw over an armrest. I think I'd go pillowless on the sofa, unless you find them comfortable.

But yeah, lovely cozy home.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:44AM
bschr
A couple of things, the little leaf picture is too high, Have you tried switching places with the sofa and the two chairs? The sofa isn't centered on your stunning window and I think the chairs with the round table between might look more balanced. Could you move the television further down the wall. It appears a little crowed with the picture and the plant. I love that long picture you have there. I agree with carolins, I think the caramel colour should be painted out with a light grey. The carpet is fine just needs to come forward toward the kitchen. Cushions should be more substantial in keeping with the tone of your beautiful home.
    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 6, 2013 at 10:20AM
suetutko
Oh my, you ladies are just so nice. funny about the purple fur pillow - it normally is on the other chair - I need it behind my back, and the black throw goes there too - everything was piled on the sofa and covered as I am sanding now - I should have replaced them. the wall behind the chairs hasn't been painted yet - that's the colour the house used to be - I just haven't painted it yet. I will get on it and move the small painting - it actually is a crow on a wire. I love it - my family hates it, but I won this time. I will try to move the furniture around this weekend. May not fly though - hubby loves his recliner. I get to keep my picture, he gets his recliner. Have been searching for a new one, don't know what colour though.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:12AM
carolins
Yeah... I figured the chairs are there for TV watching. Not thát clever of me, because you mentioned it ;-) Otherwise I would have suggested the furniture shuffle too. I agree with bschr that it would be a better layout, but then again... sometimes practicality wins from aesthetics. But if you're willing to try it out, live with it for two days and then decide if it works for you or not. We often need to get used to a different layout.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 6, 2013 at 11:41AM
suetutko
Hi Gals: I went fabric shopping yesterday, and a light went on in my head for a roman-type blind over the sink. How about a black and white stripe? and, could i mimic the same stripe at the ends of the windows (the small space at the end of the shutters)? Or, would that be too jarring, not keeping with the colours already incorporated?
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:00AM
carolins
I do like the stripe for roman blinds. But I'm not for having the same fabric as curtain panels. (I'm assuming you mean the windows in the living/dining area?) I think it's visually too strong, will fight with your rug and draw too much attention.
For the kitchen window: yes!
    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 24, 2013 at 10:16AM
carolins
Or how about this one? (I just like to browse through fabrics and you just gave me a reason ;-))
http://beautifulfabric.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=50&productID=6467&pStart=0&recNum=48
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:30AM
kcar66
It so open & "one" with the livingroom I believe keeping the same color would be best. Find a neat sign or some letting in a rust to decorate the little spot above your sink
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:43AM
kcar66
here's a couple that would blend with your slate floor---love the thought of contrast of your modern look with these antiqued signs
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 10:47AM
suetutko
Love it. i have a few of those 'rust' signs. I'll dig them up and see what works. A sign or blinds. My husband still wants me to come up with some type of valance between the cabinets :)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:04AM
Tell your husband NO on valance. Your kitchen is modern. Go a simple white pleated shade from Lowes.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 24, 2013 at 11:16AM
carolins
Well.... you could do a faux Roman blind and call it a 'valance'
;-)
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:17AM
Love the bar. Good job on Reno. Very hard to get though. On shelves over front of bar. Add a couple small bows in a color red, yellow teal. Teal, peacock would be great with wood tones. Are you doing back splash? Cups you have on shelve change to one color tall ceramic teal. 4 is enough. Don't want a cluttered look. I would paint a silver gray get 3-4 samples and try. Stay in same tones of bar but lighter. Great job. Also nothing on refrig door looks messy. Sherwin or Ben Moore great colors.
    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:24AM
I see you like orange. That would work for cups, bowls etc. keep it to a minimum use around room. Like in print pillows with orange or chevron print in panels could work.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:26AM
Do a orange and white striped roman for kitchen and a chevron for other windows. Do not do stripes on all windows. I would do chevron for kitchen also. Keep it the same.
    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:29AM
suetutko
Hi Travisinteriors: thanks. The small shelves over the bar will have frosted glass doors (eventually - the contractor keeps 'forgetting to return) Love the idea of bowls that will show through. The orange handles are the temporary suction cups tht were installed until he returns. I'll take another pic after removing many of the cups and I've already re=positioned the LR furniture. The backsplash is there, just not noticeable. It is a white ceramic from Urban Zebra - with texture. The grey inserts are glass with the texture on the back. I wanted some interest in there since it is all so unembelished.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 11:39AM
suetutko
Good Morning: Here's a couple of fabric samples I found last night. what do yu think? I could paint anything that needs painting - very little wall space in a colour from the fabric? Also, you mentioned starting it from the ceiling to give the illusion of a taller window right? Or I could leave it at the frame and add in a 'saying'?
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 8:58AM
Good job. I see backsplash now. Very nice.
    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 25, 2013 at 9:02AM
I like both fabrics. It's a matter of taste. I think the brown, and blue, would be the one to stay current for a long time. Then use that blue for accents in both rooms to tie together. I would use a I side mount for window cover. You already have a frame for it. Paint a taupe from cover.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:05AM
There is a color called String Ray by Ben Moore. It's their classic shade ck it out. Always get samples first.
    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:06AM
carolins
Would start from the ceiling for a much more sophisticated and sleeker look. Otherwise it will chop up the wall too much.
I love both fabrics. Difficult choice. Hmm... my vote goes to the top one :-)
    Bookmark   Thanked by suetutko    September 25, 2013 at 9:08AM
bschr
Brown and beige is certainly the safer of the two but the orange is much more fun! It's only fabric and a small amount for the kitchen. I like the idea of the rusty signage at the top along with the orange blinds.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 9:37AM
suetutko
thank you so much. the top 'brick looking' one it is. from the ceiling - like the sleeker look. and I'll check out BM paint tomorrow. One more ask - should I paint the small hall way at the left of the island the same colour, right? And over the island bulkhead, and small bulkhead (original cove molding is on the DR side) also?
    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 10:19AM
suetutko
oooh, now I'm at odds again. I'll buy both fabrics and see. The one with orange is very fun, the other slicker, and neither are expensive. I agree with the 'it's only fabric' I'v spent more $$ on martinis in one night than the 2 yds of fabric will cost me. I'll give both a go.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:06AM
carolins
LOL
    Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 11:16AM
Brighten Up Your Kitchen by Painting Outdated Cabinets
This kitchen makeover was very special to me because...
The Staged Style
What colour too decorate or ideas for brightening up??
What colour should decorate the lounge area want it...
chris11391
Brighten up tiny laundry room
I'm hoping to find paint colors for the walls and cabinets...
lindawig
How do I brighten up the kitchen
This is my kitchen. A new one. So I won't do any major...
ajj
Accessories too much ,too little changing up?
Since I changed coffee tables I have put out some new...
Carol Muir
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
Painted or stained kitchen cabinets?
My husband and I are planning to build and we are trying...
kristenms84
where do I put my tv?
please picture this room empty aside from the fireplace....
mcbartz
Colors advice
Pls give some colors add this pic
satishpudhari
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie