Ideas for backsplash and window treatments
andydale
Open to any ideas except for redoing my cabinetry, countertops, appliances and wallcovering! All those were redone within last 4 years and I'm happy with them! Would love backsplash ideas, accessories and ideas for my eat-in area (it was NOT redone)! Close up of cabinetry meeting wall and countertop attached to give better idea of what I'm working with. Will post eat-in area under separate post. Thanks in advance.
andydale
Here's the eat-in area. Sorry, can't get the lighting right. I'm open to replacing furniture as it is 20 years old! What should I be looking for? Window treatment ideas desperately needed!!! We live on a farm so privacy isn't an issue at all.
September 6, 2013 at 8:20am   
Window World of Colorado
Arched windows can be tricky to work with. Here a few ideas you can go with shades or even longer curtains depending on what suits you best. Do you have a color scheme in mind yet?
September 6, 2013 at 8:33am   
andydale
Thank you for responding! I LOVE glass subway tile for the backsplash... just don't know what color! The wallcovering isn't real visible (once I cover backsplash area with tile) but I will have to work with it. It is a yellowish/gold. My area rug (if I keep it) has maroon, green, slate blue, cream, gold in it. Wonder what would look best with the countertop... probably a light color, yes, because the wood and countertop are so dark.

I almost hate to cover the arch part of the window because it provides an absolutely gorgeous view of the sky. I mean GORGEOUS!! I've lost the window pane thingy that went up there - who knows where it ended up! The treatments would need to work with my wallcovering - don't know what color to use though. I do like the last photo but don't think I could pull off that effect considering I don't have the "pane thingy" anymore and my windows are double hung.

Keep ideas coming!
September 6, 2013 at 8:41am   
A Crew of Two
September 6, 2013 at 8:45am   
andydale
I like the beige. I also like the green you posted above. Green is my favorite color and with all the greenery outside the big window and in my rug, I might be able to pull that off! Question: the countertop has a 4" backsplash already ... would it look strange to go above that with the subway tile? I've never had a backsplash before so I don't know what's right.
September 6, 2013 at 8:54am     
A Crew of Two
I prefer the green as well...green is my favorite color
September 6, 2013 at 8:55am     
andydale
What style, shape, color kitchen table should I be looking for? I really like black with wood furniture and I think it would work with my kitchen. Don't know what shape table, etc. would go best though. Also, kinda need a hutch or something as I need storage space.... suggestions?
September 6, 2013 at 8:56am   
A Crew of Two
Is this for formal dining or more casual?
September 6, 2013 at 9:22am   
I think your breakfast area looks great. The only thing I would do is remove the dated valance and leave the windows naked.
September 6, 2013 at 9:56am     
anne dee
this mixed tile colour may fit with the other colours you mentioned.

comments posted re the tiles in this inspiration pic
We chose tiles by Walker Zanger, ceramic glazed tiles, Ceramic Alahambra Classic line (pages 80-84 from their online catalogue). The Owners had a few decorative tiles from Guatamala that were to be integrated in to the project and the WZ tiles meld beautifully with that style. We used 2X2 accent tiles and 4X4 tiles for the majority of the field. "Staggered pattern" made them work together well.[FYI]
September 6, 2013 at 10:15am   
katelyndunkel
I would also change out your bar stools. It looks like they fight with your wood cabinets a little bit. Maybe try upholstered bar stools? Or painted ones? http://m.ballarddesigns.com/products/com/10868
September 6, 2013 at 10:38am     
katelyndunkel
Or just paint the ones you have now.
September 6, 2013 at 10:39am     
Antico Elements
Exactly I think everybody summed it up quite professionally. The breakfast area calls for a rustic yet utilitarian design but that is just my opinion. Plus I would have used a faux stone back splash in order to give that great farm home look. By the way if you need any farm hands you can always count on my young back and hands because I love the setting the view through the breakfast nook is breath taking. Anyways good luck and I hope these pictures give you a good idea on the drastic difference they can create in a kitchen turning a house into a home:)
September 6, 2013 at 1:41pm     
Barnhart Gallery
Hi andydale -- What a lovely kitchen you have already. If you can't find your mullion "thingie," they should be available from your window manufacturer, or it's a super quick job for a carpenter or handy man to make one to your liking. I've had them made to spec for windows like yours. I added some back on just the uppers because your corner cabinet door has mullions, to carry the look across the room, but still work with the mullion-free French doors.

I think you'd get a big boost from a pair of island pendant lights to fall in love with. Nothing wrong with what's there, they just don't make you say "Wow." Here's two possibilities that echo the arch of your window; I especially like this arabesque tile with the one on the left -- all of the lights/fan shown are at Lamps Plus.

I love this indoor/outdoor (take-out-and-hoseable!) rug for your space and lifestyle, order round if you choose a round table like Crew of Two suggests above: http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/166074/Sphinx/Bali/3162/IvoryGreyU
A glass penny tile might look great if you choose it.

Cursor over photo for wide view -- cheers!
September 6, 2013 at 1:51pm   
travisinteriors
In kitchen stainless subway tiles. In eat in add a chandelier, hang 36-40" above table. Remove valance on windows. A roman shade and panels on side nothing on top part. Go a print in the panels only. Stay with round table. Crate and barrel has a black round 60" distressed look. Get slip cover look chairs, in a solid color. If you want a area rug get 8 ft or bigger round area rug. Colors can be from walls.
September 6, 2013 at 2:30pm   
travisinteriors
New bar stool no oak anything. Print out oak to white. Walls a pewter gray. All rooms. Some blues and gray in area rug. Chairs dark navy blue. Windows cover navy, grays and lighter blues. Check restoration hardware for bar stools. They have gunmetal gray in a metal stool. Very nice for yr home for a update.
September 6, 2013 at 2:33pm   
travisinteriors
Yr home is very nice. Good job.
September 6, 2013 at 2:34pm   
andydale
Thank you everyone! Went shopping for ideas yesterday ... so many options. Definitely replacing the counterstools ... that was top of my list when I started thinking of updating the kitchen!! Think I'm holding off on them until I decide on a kitchen table and chair set - that way I'm sure they compliment each other.

I like the lighter backsplash ideas of both the faux stone and the glass subway tile. Probably the stone fits more with our environment as I use a lot of stone in the home and around the exterior. I have brushed nickel faucet and cabinet pulls and a stainless sink, if that helps. We are very casual in nature as this truly is a house on a working farm (although the exterior says 'neighborhood home'!).

The only window in the kitchen is in the eat-in area. It's about 6-1/2' x 6-1/2' and has the arch window on top. Plus we have an atrium door that leads out to our covered porch. Still confused on what to do with the windows ... leaving them naked looks really strange to me, but maybe I just need time to adjust to it!

Keep ideas coming ... they are definitely helping me!! I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts on this.
September 7, 2013 at 5:13am   
Angel18432
Can you take down that 4" backspash before you do the backsplash. It seems to be on a couple of your photos but not the one. I would take down the valance and put up a roman blind, or a faux one - one with a few folds that don't actually come down, as you don't have a privacy issue. Maybe try painting your table chairs, bar stools black for now.
September 7, 2013 at 5:22am   
indianpatti
The green subway tile that crew of two posted would look fabulous!

A new chandelier over your table would look good ..
September 7, 2013 at 5:29am   
William Morris would find the valance neither beautiful nor useful, and Mies van der Rohe would tell you less is more. Less valance, more view:
September 7, 2013 at 6:19am   
Window treatments and backsplash ideas
Would like ideas for what to do with my backsplash...
Need help with window treatment ideas for lv rm window seat window
Hi, I am trying to give my living room a more polished,...
Need ideas for window treatment for a bay window in formal dining -
"Privacy is not an issue.Window is in the front of...
Need ideas for window treatment for a bay window in formal dining
Privacy is not an issue.Window is in the front of the...
I feel like something is missing.... Need some help!
I feel feel like this bedroom is missing something!...
dried flower arrangement
My husband thinks this dried flower arrangement is...
Do stripe pillows look ok?
I am noy sure about pillows. Will appreciate if you...
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...