Space Challenge
rbrewtx
September 6, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm moving from a 3-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom condo, I'm going to a a little space challenged. The second bedroom needs to be a closet, which will take away my office space. Do people use dining areas anymore? Can the dining area be the office? Help!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
DMH DESIGN
Without a photo and room dims, this is speculative--depending on the size of your dining area, you may be able to build in or buy and assemble a wall unit with a flip down 'secretary' in combo with some cabinets over drawers on either or both sides. This way, you could control when your office is 'open' and when it is 'closed', especially with guests in the house. For the second bedroom, perhaps a built in Murphy bed system will allow you the needed space to have some extra storage, while maintaining an area open enough to accommodate guests? Classic wardrobes and armoires make nice additions, helping you to maintain use of a room while meeting your closet space reqs. Happy Houzzing.
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 9:49AM
karemore55
It's not whether people use their dining rooms anymore, it's "what do you need to use your dining room for?" It's your home - you can do whatever you want! There are lots of ways to use the space as a DR/ home office combined. Have a look at the pics below. If its in your budget to do built-ins, I highly recommend them. But you can create bookcases and storage at any price point - from Ikea to Pottery Barn. Lots of great so,unions out there. The trick, if you are going to design for both uses, is to have lots of closed storage where you can stash your lap top and other desk accessories when you need to clear off that table!
0 Likes   September 6, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
Zoom-Room Murphy Beds
Think about Zoom-Room, the electronic, remote controlled, retractable Murphy Bed. We have a new version with a fold down desk (don't have pictures yet, but we can send you drawings). Check it out at www.Zoom-Room.com or call (888) 211-1120.
0 Likes   September 8, 2013 at 9:29PM
Sigrid
With a shortage of storage space, most people can edit a lot out of their closets. That done, you can probably put in a lot of storage space overhead, near the ceiling. Look in every room and identify places. Make sure any bookcases go all the way up to the ceiling. Get a step ladder, if need be. If you have a storage locker in the basement or a parking space in a garage, use all that space. Put hooks in the wall for your bike, so it's not in your condo. etc.

In the zoom room photo, there's a lot of storage over the desk and over the bed.
0 Likes   September 8, 2013 at 9:46PM
PRO
Chrissy Roellchen - Closet Works Chicago
Hi. The suggestion of storage solutions that offer multiple options is a good one. I am in Chicago and we often have this type of question with my clients. There are many options for making closets more useful and other areas multi-purpose. I would suggest finding a storage professional in your market. You are more than welcome to check out some of my recent projects for some ideas and inspiration. Good Luck with you room. If I can answer any additional questions please don't hesitate to let me know. - Chrissy
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 8:43AM